Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3: Combat System Poll

What combat system should BG3 employ?

• RTwP or you are a heretic.

Votes: 45 24.6%
  • Turn-based of course. You must be new around here.

Votes: 80 43.7%
  • Both RTwP and TB modes. "It's all about player choice (TM)."

Votes: 19 10.4%
  • First person action combat like Godd Howard intended.

Votes: 15 8.2%
  • Third person action combat with stamina restriction. BG is the new Dark Souls.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • VN

Votes: 18 9.8%

• Total voters
Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy
Turn based with special option for heretics to have active pause in real time combat. And there can be one more option, Phone Based Combat. You call your multiplayer friend to make a combat and give him general orders like formation etc, then leave your phone for 5 minutes and do something productive like drink beer or smoke a cigar. After that your friend must call you and inform about a progres and send you save file via sms, then you download it from your phone and import into game and move forward with story until next Phone Based Combat.

Quillon

Arcane
Command based combat is better. CBC is essentially RTwP but you only control your character and shout out commands that your companions may or may not heed depending on how much they trust you and their current morale. Its universally acclaimed combat system used in real life situations(to a certain extent) as well. True story.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I'm shocked that 99% of this forum STILL doesn't get one simple fact.

If core systems are done well, writing is good, world feels authentic, art direction is good, story is good etc., it won't matter whether combat is TB or RTwP. It's a non-issue.

Last edited:

Glop_dweller

Prophet

If core systems are done well, writing is good, world feels authentic, art direction is good, story is good etc., it won't matter whether combat is TB or RTwP. It's a non-issue.
I disagree. Gameplay is paramount—period.

I don't much care for RTW/P gameplay—I don't hate it, but it's not my preference; I liked the BG series in spite of it. But when it comes to making a numbered franchise sequel there should be no debate. It MUST have the series combat mechanics as its foundation; and any embellishments to it must not do damage or detriment to the core system.

The one feature I would hope to have fixed in the RTW/P combat is to detect hits in realtime; and so prevent arrows from flying perpendicular arcs (at targets it has pre-decided were hit—but have since moved); and do the same for area effect spells & weapons—IE. don't damage a target running from a blast wave, who does make it to cover in time to avoid injury.

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
All I'm saying is that TB vs RTwP is the LEAST of my concerns. That alone won't make or break the game. I prefer TB but many great RPGs were RTwP.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Should skills have cooldowns like in DOS2 or vancian system ? Which is better?

Let me just throw a quick look at which ruleset the game uses.

a-young-adventurers-guide-dungeons-dragons-wizards-and-spells-p311050-314460_medium.jpg

Ah yes. I think that answers the question.

Ladonna

Arcane
I think the Goldbox games showed the way. And as Larian cannot into stories, I think that is their only hope this time around.

the mole

Learned
Shitposter

Reader

Deleted Member 16721

First or third person action combat a la Final Fantasy 15. First-person would be fine if they implement companions well. The limiting factors will be how well the RPG stat systems are integrated. As long as it's still about character stats I will be happy with whatever direction they choose.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
All I'm saying is that TB vs RTwP is the LEAST of my concerns. That alone won't make or break the game. I prefer TB but many great RPGs were RTwP.

Many ? Like one ? (Planescape: Torment)

KotOR being action RPGs with an active pause and a very different gameplay than all those RTwP monstrosities.

Everything else is just mediocre at best, terrible gameplay dragging down everything that's remotely well designed.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
You are retarded. Both KotORs, both NwNs, every WotC CRPG made in the last 20 years (including Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale), Darklands, PST...

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
No reason to keep the outdated combat systems like tb or rtwp. Make it a fun action combat game and many people will buy it. Prehistoric gamers wich refuse every innhovation after 2000 are a minority and shouldn't be pandered to

Max Damage

Savant
First half of the game will be action game, then second will be strategy game, the way Brutal Legend did it. This way you'll fully experience the progression from starting out solo to gathering full party to venture forth!
:discohitler:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Party based? Check.
Presumably related to existing PnP ruleset (this being not the way to do cRPGs (TM) doesn't really matter here)? Check.
No prior existing records of RTWP being ever done competently by anyone? Check.
Larian being sort of competent at TB systems (fuck-ups aside)? Check.

Conclusion? Duh.
You meant by RPG developers, because it sure works in FTL, 7.62 and Shogun Total War.

Not that it changes the fact TB would certainly work better for BG3.

Trashos

Arcane
They should do what they are inspired to do, and fucking FOcUS on it (no, encounter design that works for one mode does not work for the other equally well), and do a great job. I did not see such an option in the poll.

They choose TB? Design the fucking encounters around TB. They should be fun to play when TB.

They choose RTwP? Design the encounters around RTwP. Make absolutely sure they are fun when played as RTwP.

But don't fucking mix them up. IF you do mix them up and fail, I will be dancing on your grave.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom