Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Baldur's Gate 3 Gameplay Reveal, Previews and Interviews

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
The success of Pillars of Eternity proves that a sequel would be just as successful.

Oh wait.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
This has absolutely none of that at all. Folk are comparing it to DA:O, but it's way more like DA:I in it's modern, bright, bulky, bullshit approach.

I agree but this is how people think rpgs should look sadly, not icewind dale concept art. Couple that with shit animations and it's where we are right now.

Deleted Member 22431

BG had a distinct authenticity & charm, largely rooted in it's UI & isometric artwork. That played a huge part in giving the games their distinct "classic" feel & vibe.

This has absolutely none of that at all. Folk are comparing it to DA:O, but it's way more like DA:I in it's modern, bright, bulky, bullshit approach.

A fucking disgrace all round. Awful pacing too. Every real battle & trap seemed to take an age.
Just you wait until the hordes of ignorant retards start raving about this gaem as the best in BG series. The butthurt will be immense.

Deleted Member 22431

It looks, sounds and plays exactly like D:OS2. After putting over 60-70 hours into that (and the first game), I'm not sure I can stomach playing another game that's a near-exact copy.
But at least you can play again that wonderful initiative system, rite?

Last edited by a moderator:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It looks, sounds and plays exactly like D:OS2. After putting over 60-70 hours into that (and the first game), I'm not sure I can stomach playing another game that's a near-exact copy.
But at least you can replay with that wonderful initiative system, rite?
Don't know what you are complaining about.
Initiative in D:OS2 was a free dump stat, what's not to love about that! :lol:

That said, initiative in BG3 will be team based (first your team, then their team, etc. - or the other way around, not sure).
The big problem with this is that if they don't watch out with their encounter and system design, it will mean that whoever starts first gains an incredible advantage.
Not a big fan of that, honestly.

Vatnik Wumao
This calls for a "Look at me. I am Bethesda now" meme.
More like
E1dBMWJ.jpg

ultra loser

Scholar
This game looks weird, too much sunlight I think.

Graphically, this didn't look like Baldur's Gate, not because of the 3D style but because of the art direction itself.
The lighting and color palette are almost the same as DOS2, perhaps just a little less saturated. Baldur's Gate had this sweet, kind of gritty style that is completely absent here.
Yeah

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This is a game that had the potential for me shrug off the chains of domestic obliviiii... err bliss, ignore my family for a solid couple of weeks, force myself to deal with the eye strain and migraines of playing a PC game despite having to work on one all week all to relive the glory of old. 100% down for TB, but I don't see BG when I look at that. God damn it Swen. You're one of the few devs I still have any respect for. Why you gotta piss on my face and tell me it's lemonade.

Dr Schultz

Augur
But at least you can replay with that wonderful initiative system, rite?
Don't know what you are complaining about.
Initiative in D:OS2 was a free dump stat, what's not to love about that! :lol:

That said, initiative in BG3 will be team based (first your team, then their team, etc. - or the other way around, not sure).
The big problem with this is that if they don't watch out with their encounter and system design, it will mean that whoever starts first gains an incredible advantage.
Not a big fan of that, honestly.

I've played almost all the worthy tactical games in the market and I've come to the conclusion that team initiative is generally better than characters initiative.
If well handled, the former allows for a more proactive gameplay, with more flexibility and tactical options on a round to round basis, while the latter forces you to be more reactive (to the inititive queue) limiting de facto your options.

It's a tradeoff of course, but the only significant downside of team initiative is the moltiplication of the inevitable "first turn advantange". This could screw the balance of an encounter if not handed properly, true enough, but it can be easily mitigated/negated by the level design, by rules that limit your attack power in the first round or by giving the enemy reactions during your turn.
The advantages, on the other hand, grearly overweight this single con.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
"Volly crawled out of his cave. "

I never stopped posting on the Codex. Just gotta know where to look.
Oh, I see you almost completely abandoned the gaming section, and mostly post on General discussion. Such a shame, we miss you here.

Darkforge

Augur
Games not even in early access yet. I am sure a lot of the assets aren't in place and there will be significant changes to distance it from DOS2
I will remain cautiously optimistic because the worst thing about DOs2 for me was the retarded system behind it, now they have to at least make an attempt to move it into a D&D ruleset, even if it is 5e.

I mostly angry about the ugly waifus

Ravn7

Educated
They want to do it the way they do best so it looks like we all could expected. And definitely modern. They wouldn't risk PoE2 budget-wise disaster.

Also, it can't be a DOS2 re-skin because it's a very different, D&D, system.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom