Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 hate thread

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
I am curious. How many of you complaining are going to buy the game anyways. We need to actually put our money where our mouth is and maintain our integrity or else we're as bad as Larian and wotc. I urge each one of you not to buy this game and support games such as Pathfinder instead

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I am curious. How many of you complaining are going to buy the game anyways. We need to actually put our money where our mouth is and maintain our integrity or else we're as bad as Larian and wotc. I urge each one of you not to buy this game and support games such as Pathfinder instead
I've said it before and I've said it again. I hate turn based crpgs. I will never buy one. This isn't going to be like COD where everyone bitched and then bought it anyway. At the very least the people who don't like turn based games aren't going to touch it and that's a huge number of people. There's a reason Final Fantasy hasn't been turn based since FFX. Turn based RPGs don't sell enough to pay for a AAA budget. Fire Emblem seems to be the only outlier here but Three Houses was their first AAA game and I'm not sure if it even counts since it's an srpg

Harthwain

Magister
So wait, if i make my own character i lose out on bits of the game?

WTF is this shit?
No. If you make your own character you will be a blank slate. But you can use companions' origin stories during character creation and make it your own past.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath

WTF is this shit?
No. If you make your own character you will be a blank slate. But you can use companions' origin stories during character creation and make it your own past.

The way I understand it, that is tied to the background you choose or the preset character starts with. So you can also make a vampire spawn or something else. I might be wrong though.

Harthwain

Magister
The way I understand it, that is tied to the background you choose or the preset character starts with. So you can also make a vampire spawn or something else. I might be wrong though.
It's literally like in D:OS 2:

Origins in Divinity: Original Sin 2 give the player unique Tags, appearance and in one case a Talent. They are essentially the equivalent of premade characters. Players can also choose Custom if they wish to have more flexibility in their Character Creation, but there are unique opportunities only available to the premade Origins.
Edit: Although I will add this: in D:OS 2 it was possible to customize pretty much everything aside from the origin itself, so you don't have to agree with the pre-selected class, race, face, talents, abilities, etc. Literally you can make your own character and simply steal a potential companion's story (which will probably result in him not being in your game, since you're "taking over").

I will be surprised if we won't have the same amount of freedom in BG3.

Last edited:

flushfire

Augur
If the abortion that is the dialogue isn't just an intro thing then I will not even pirate it.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
If the abortion that is the dialogue isn't just an intro thing then I will not even pirate it.
If it's just an intro thing and they are trying to convince us that the entire game is like that, they are some crazy fucks

raesha

Educated
I've said it before and I've said it again. I hate turn based crpgs. I will never buy one. This isn't going to be like COD where everyone bitched and then bought it anyway. At the very least the people who don't like turn based games aren't going to touch it and that's a huge number of people. There's a reason Final Fantasy hasn't been turn based since FFX. Turn based RPGs don't sell enough to pay for a AAA budget. Fire Emblem seems to be the only outlier here but Three Houses was their first AAA game and I'm not sure if it even counts since it's an srpg
Fire Emblem for a long time had terrible sales, constantly circling the drain in that the series might end up cancelled. The reason it's now doing better have relatively little to do with it's combat design, that part hasn't changed all that drastically in a long time.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Why is Fire Emblem doing well these days?

Hah hah, it has to do with a little something I like to call... magic.

Glorious, glorious magic.

Deleted Member 22431

Average Gamer said:
Some losers are bitching that BG3 it’s different from BG2. LOLOLOL

Get a life grandpa! Maybe you should stick to Bingo.

The former BGs are old and ugly. They have like zero graphics. Won’t touch with a ten-foot pole.

BG3 is the best. I shit on everyone who thinks any differently.

That's what will happen in the near future. You all should thank Larian for that.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Average Gamer said:
Some losers are bitching that BG3 it’s different from BG2. LOLOLOL

Get a life grandpa! Maybe you should stick to Bingo.

The former BGs are old and ugly. They have like zero graphics. Won’t touch with a ten-foot pole.

BG3 is the best. I shit on everyone who thinks any differently.

That's what will happen in the near future. You all should thank Larian for that.
Baldur's Gate was a shallow graphics-whore game back in the nineties, it makes no sense to now start catering to nostalgia-faggots by making a pixel-art game. Maybe you should stick to bingo indeed.

raesha

Educated
Beamdog games don't look so bad now, eh?
Beamdog original content is still shit.

Them updating old games to run better on newer systems isn't a bad thing, but they've yet to produce anything new that's actually good.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Things that will suck given the D:OS engine:

- Rotating the map to death to see if there are no hidden things beneath scenery. It should have been fixed angle like in Pathfinder or PoE.
- As a consequence of free camera and depth, the distances cannot be correctly estimated to see if it is safe to approach undetected
- A gazillion items to pick up and place in a gazillion containers, making inventory management a nightmare.
- UI style sucks, the artist has no talent for stylized buttons and actions.
- No matter how much detail they put in scenery and characters, they somehow manage to make them look dull and uninspiring.

Tenebris

Scholar
What's this "origin story" shit vs making your own characters? Is it just a premade character with special game interactions that you don't get if you make your own?
Pretty much. This system already existed in the prequel (D:OS 2).

WTF is this shit?

If it's anything like Divinity you still get to see the bits if you have them as a companion. You obviously get a bit more detail when actually playing as them though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
- Rotating the map to death to see if there are no hidden things beneath scenery. It should have been fixed angle like in Pathfinder or PoE.

Original D:OS had a mostly-fixed camera with minor rotation, it was swell. Unfortunate that they ended up appeasing the people who want a worse camera.

Skdursh

Savant
Rusty looks down and lets out a sigh, then looks back at you. He begins to speak but hesitates, then looks away. He looks back and quickly states "At least it's not pillars of eternity dialogue."

This is the first time I've seen you comment on something and didn't immediately consider calling you a cuck. That's progress.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Imagine thinking 1.5 million voice-acted words of muppet dialogue is incline.
Especially when it could have been replaced with 3 million words written by actual good writers with the money they saved from not hiring larpers to sit in a booth for more pay than the actual people making them game.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Imagine thinking 1.5 million voice-acted words of muppet dialogue is incline.
Especially when it could have been replaced with 3 million words written by actual good writers with the money they saved from not hiring larpers to sit in a booth for more pay than the actual people making them game.
So in the end capitalism, money and market logic ruined BG3

What's this "origin story" shit vs making your own characters? Is it just a premade character with special game interactions that you don't get if you make your own?
Pretty much. This system already existed in the prequel (D:OS 2).

WTF is this shit?
its actually a bonus. You miss out on all the confused sexuality, cheese jokes, bisexual, bi-species furry and I kid you not even skeleton and undead 'romancing' interludes

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
More words can be a detriment, see Tides of Numenera.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom