Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Baldurs Gate - Never Forget

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn; BioWare

<p>RPS had the opportunity to <a href="http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/08/16/not-forgotten-bioware-on-baldurs-gate/" target="_blank">chat with the BioDocs</a> and they looked back at their breakthrough game, Baldur's Gate - the start of all that emotional engagement enthralling us to this very day.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>Ray</strong>: Interplay had the Dungeons and Dragons license through TSR so what they provided was converting the engine to Dungeons and Dragons instead. We thought that would be a good license to develop in.</p>
<p><strong>Greg</strong>: what we always wanted to make was the experience of that top-down experience. That top-down world exploration of Ultima was a really big inspiration for us. One thing that&rsquo;s important to realise was we started it back in the mid-90s, and that was when RPGs were dead in North America. People would kind of scoff when you said you were making one.</p>
<p><strong>Ray</strong>: A lot of publishers were saying RPGs were not the place to be and there was not a future for them. We disagreed, we wanted to go back to our favourite games of the 80s and early 90s. All these amazing games that provide these rich experiences. We wanted to create something to capture that magic.</p>
<p><strong>Greg</strong>: We have a way of describing it now, historically we didn&rsquo;t have the language to explain it. What we moved to was the concept of Bioware&rsquo;s 4 pillars. The idea of exploration, incredible territory to explore. Combat, you had to think you had to plan, by changing tactics you could be successful. Characters&hellip;</p>
<p><strong>Ray</strong> &ndash; We looked at RTSes, C&amp;C and WoW, you&rsquo;d click on characters and they&rsquo;d say something back to you, and it was a surprise. Jagged Alliance, one character would take out a gun and start shooting another because they&rsquo;d had an argument. We wanted to make them feel like real people, not NPCs who were AI controlled, they really felt they had personalities and came to life.</p>
</blockquote>
<p><em>thanks to <strong>Jaedar </strong>for pointing this out.</em></p>

Andhaira

Arcane
Hmm, so interparty conflict in Baldurs Gate had its root in Jagged Alliance?

I approve.

Morkar Left

We disagreed, we wanted to go back to our favourite games of the 80s and early 90s. All these amazing games that provide these rich experiences. We wanted to create something to capture that magic.

Why did they stop?

WoW inspired BG? I know WoW is pretty big, but is it really big enough to influence games that were made 7 years before it came out?

Morkar said:
We disagreed, we wanted to go back to our favourite games of the 80s and early 90s. All these amazing games that provide these rich experiences. We wanted to create something to capture that magic.

Why did they stop?

Because games of the late 90s and 00s sold 10x better.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Overweight Manatee said:
WoW inspired BG? I know WoW is pretty big, but is it really big enough to influence games that were made 7 years before it came out?

They probably meant Warcraft, rather than World of Warcraft, seeing as how they were discussing RTS influences on the game.

aries202

Erudite
I think they're clear showing signs of some form of light Alzheimers or amnesia? As I recall, they wanted to make an RTS game called Battleground Infinity, then showed the project to Black Isle. Fearqus? Urquhart? the director of the now defunct Black Isle (or Interplay?) told them to go mke an rpg. And so they did...and the only thing that stuck was the engine; the Infinity Engine, used to make games like BG, BG2, NWN, and their expansions, PS: Torment, Icewind Dale 1 and Icewind Dale 2.

As I understand having say Khalid and Jaheira in the same party as Xzar and Montaron (In BG) will make them attack each other at one point in time in the game.

coaster

Liturgist
God these BG retrospectives are getting old.

Where were you when you first thought you would be interviewed about a retrospective for Baldur's Gate?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Too bad they abandoned all those principles that they held onto with the Baldur's Gate series when they gave us their derpariffic DA:O.

Good job Greg and Ray.

Zeus

Cipher
AndhairaX said:
Hmm, so interparty conflict in Baldurs Gate had its root in Jagged Alliance?

I approve.

Yeah, it's interesting that party interaction, one of the trademarks of Bioware RPGs, was inspired by strategy games--which aren't exactly known for the depth of their characters.

Murk

Arcane
aries202 said:
I think they're clear showing signs of some form of light Alzheimers or amnesia? As I recall, they wanted to make an RTS game called Battleground Infinity, then showed the project to Black Isle. Fearqus? Urquhart? the director of the now defunct Black Isle (or Interplay?) told them to go mke an rpg. And so they did...and the only thing that stuck was the engine; the Infinity Engine, used to make games like BG, BG2, NWN, and their expansions, PS: Torment, Icewind Dale 1 and Icewind Dale 2.

As I understand having say Khalid and Jaheira in the same party as Xzar and Montaron (In BG) will make them attack each other at one point in time in the game.

You were on a roll until you hit the NWN part -- different engine, but yes I recall even VD talking about how BioWare was originally working on an RTS but was convinced by Interplay/Black Isle to switch to an RPG instead.

some details on the topic: http://www.gamespy.com/articles/540/540065p1.html

und dis

http://www.1up.com/news/baldurs-gate-was-originally-mmo

heh

1eyedking

Erudite
Jaesun said:
Too bad they abandoned all those principles that they held onto with the Baldur's Gate series when they gave us their derpariffic DA:O.
But...but...but VD liked it...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
1eyedking said:
Jaesun said:
But...but...but VD liked it...

Some people enjoy a toasted shit sandwich, I don't but hey if he liked it, whatever floats your boat.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
It's awesome how they don't recall trying to cash in with the RTS crowd and Feargus kicking them to make an RPG instead.

And I would've rather stuck with a ton of shallow NPC's like BG than the much smaller list of emotional engagement that was BG2.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
That's because you are dumb and shallow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom