Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Interview Baldurs Gate - Never Forget

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by VentilatorOfDoom, Aug 16, 2010.

1. VentilatorOfDoom RPG Codex Staff

VentilatorOfDoom
    Tags: Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn; BioWare

<p>RPS had the opportunity to <a href="http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/08/16/not-forgotten-bioware-on-baldurs-gate/" target="_blank">chat with the BioDocs</a> and they looked back at their breakthrough game, Baldur's Gate - the start of all that emotional engagement enthralling us to this very day.</p>
    <blockquote>
    <p><strong>Ray</strong>: Interplay had the Dungeons and Dragons license through TSR so what they provided was converting the engine to Dungeons and Dragons instead. We thought that would be a good license to develop in.</p>
    <p><strong>Greg</strong>: what we always wanted to make was the experience of that top-down experience. That top-down world exploration of Ultima was a really big inspiration for us. One thing that&rsquo;s important to realise was we started it back in the mid-90s, and that was when RPGs were dead in North America. People would kind of scoff when you said you were making one.</p>
    <p><strong>Ray</strong>: A lot of publishers were saying RPGs were not the place to be and there was not a future for them. We disagreed, we wanted to go back to our favourite games of the 80s and early 90s. All these amazing games that provide these rich experiences. We wanted to create something to capture that magic.</p>
    <p><strong>Greg</strong>: We have a way of describing it now, historically we didn&rsquo;t have the language to explain it. What we moved to was the concept of Bioware&rsquo;s 4 pillars. The idea of exploration, incredible territory to explore. Combat, you had to think you had to plan, by changing tactics you could be successful. Characters&hellip;</p>
    <p><strong>Ray</strong> &ndash; We looked at RTSes, C&amp;C and WoW, you&rsquo;d click on characters and they&rsquo;d say something back to you, and it was a surprise. Jagged Alliance, one character would take out a gun and start shooting another because they&rsquo;d had an argument. We wanted to make them feel like real people, not NPCs who were AI controlled, they really felt they had personalities and came to life.</p>
    </blockquote>
    <p><em>thanks to <strong>Jaedar </strong>for pointing this out.</em></p>

^ Top  
  2. Andhaira Arcane

Andhaira
    Hmm, so interparty conflict in Baldurs Gate had its root in Jagged Alliance?

I approve.

^ Top  
  3. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    Why did they stop?

^ Top  
  4. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    LONG LIVE BIO, DEATH TO BG!

^ Top  
  5. Overweight Manatee Scholar

Overweight Manatee
    WoW inspired BG? I know WoW is pretty big, but is it really big enough to influence games that were made 7 years before it came out?

Because games of the late 90s and 00s sold 10x better.

^ Top  
  6. Awor Szurkrarz Arcane In My Safe Space

Awor Szurkrarz
    Codex 2012
    Never forgive.

^ Top  
  7. ScottishMartialArts Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    They probably meant Warcraft, rather than World of Warcraft, seeing as how they were discussing RTS influences on the game.

^ Top  
  8. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    They probably meant the Warcraft series and the "zany" lines spouted by units when you clicked on them. Now I see where the design philosophy of...

CAN I GET YOU A LADDER, SO YOU CAN GET OFF MY BACK?

...came from. Bio seem to be making a concerted effort to take the most irritating elements of Blizzard games and stuff them into one gigantic shit sandwich.

^ Top  
  9. aries202 Erudite

aries202
    I think they're clear showing signs of some form of light Alzheimers or amnesia? As I recall, they wanted to make an RTS game called Battleground Infinity, then showed the project to Black Isle. Fearqus? Urquhart? the director of the now defunct Black Isle (or Interplay?) told them to go mke an rpg. And so they did...and the only thing that stuck was the engine; the Infinity Engine, used to make games like BG, BG2, NWN, and their expansions, PS: Torment, Icewind Dale 1 and Icewind Dale 2.

As I understand having say Khalid and Jaheira in the same party as Xzar and Montaron (In BG) will make them attack each other at one point in time in the game.

^ Top  
  10. bhlaab Arbiter

bhlaab
    They forgot a long time ago

^ Top  
  11. relootz Scholar

relootz
    One of the best games for me BG2, forever in my memory :salute:

^ Top  
  12. coaster Liturgist

coaster
    God these BG retrospectives are getting old.

Where were you when you first thought you would be interviewed about a retrospective for Baldur's Gate?

^ Top  
  13. Moray Scholar

Moray
    This is a gem, right here.

^ Top  
  14. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Too bad they abandoned all those principles that they held onto with the Baldur's Gate series when they gave us their derpariffic DA:O.

Good job Greg and Ray.

^ Top  
  15. Zeus Cipher

Zeus
    Yeah, it's interesting that party interaction, one of the trademarks of Bioware RPGs, was inspired by strategy games--which aren't exactly known for the depth of their characters.

^ Top  
  16. hoverdog dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive Developer

hoverdog
    Project: Eternity
    that just shows how awesome JA was (is).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    Overhead/iso is shit for exploration.

^ Top  
  18. Felix Arcane

Felix
    Real time with pause combat.... :x

^ Top  
  19. Radisshu Prophet

Radisshu
    BG sucked.

^ Top  
  20. Murk Arcane

Murk
    You were on a roll until you hit the NWN part -- different engine, but yes I recall even VD talking about how BioWare was originally working on an RTS but was convinced by Interplay/Black Isle to switch to an RPG instead.

some details on the topic: http://www.gamespy.com/articles/540/540065p1.html

und dis

http://www.1up.com/news/baldurs-gate-was-originally-mmo

heh

^ Top  
  21. 1eyedking Erudite

1eyedking
    But...but...but VD liked it...

^ Top  
  22. Serious_Business Best Poster on the Codex

Serious_Business
  23. Gay-Lussac Arcane

Gay-Lussac
    I'm disappointed, Serious Business. For shame, son, for shame.

^ Top  
  24. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Some people enjoy a toasted shit sandwich, I don't but hey if he liked it, whatever floats your boat.

^ Top  
  25. GarfunkeL Racism Expert

GarfunkeL
    It's awesome how they don't recall trying to cash in with the RTS crowd and Feargus kicking them to make an RPG instead.

And I would've rather stuck with a ton of shallow NPC's like BG than the much smaller list of emotional engagement that was BG2.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)