Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Bard's Tale disappoints GameSpot

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bard's Tale (2005); InXile Entertainment

<a href=http://www.gamespot.com>GameSpot</a> has posted a <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/thebardstale/review.html>review</a> of <a href=http://www.inxile-entertainment.com>Bard's Tales</a> awarding it <b>6.7</b> for failed execution, funny stuff that aint funny, and 16 hours gameplay.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>But, even though The Bard's Tale would like to mock the conventions of wizards, warriors, dungeons, and dragons, it ultimately ends up relying on the things it's supposedly trying to make fun of. Most of the people you meet, places you visit, and enemies you encounter wouldn't be at all out of place in a straightlaced high-fantasy RPG, making the somewhat half-hearted humor often feel like an afterthought. There are a few genuinely funny moments, though they're usually thanks to the talented voice-acting cast, rather than the writing. There are scores of missed opportunities for puns and silly names, and yet the game manages to find the time for a head-shakingly out-of-place reference to You Got Served.
<br>
<br>
The Bard has no inventory to speak of. Any items that you liberate from a fallen enemy or find in a treasure chest are either automatically converted into silver, or automatically equipped (in which case the gear it replaces is automatically converted into silver). The upside is that there's no worrying about your carrying capacity or whether you'll regret selling that morning star later down the road. The downside is that it basically takes all the fun out of hunting for treasure and buying new equipment. There are only a few shops where you can spend your silver in the game, and their inventory is extremely limited. The game also gives you an inordinate amount of money, so when you do happen upon a shop, you'll basically have enough money to buy whatever you please. The intent behind this simplification is admirable, but as it turns out, a good dungeon crawl actually benefits from a bit of micromanagement. As it is, it feels like there's something missing.</blockquote>
<br>
As expected
<br>

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I knew it was coming, but in all honesty, I was kinda hoping that Fargo might pull off a game at least half-way decent, for old times sake.

Surlent

Liturgist
Like this was a surprise.

But on the bright side, Gamespot has brought their credibility up by giving low rate for mediocore console hack n slash game.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I was convinced by the game's awful-ness when I heard about the dumbed down "inventory system". I wonder what else they've saved us the trouble of doing in the game? Killing the bad guy? :roll:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Well, it's pretty low considering that no game gets 1 or even a 3; and good games get 8-10. So basically, games get reviewed on a scale from 5 to 10, and in that case, 6.7 isn't much.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
but as it turns out, a good dungeon crawl actually benefits from a bit of micromanagement.

Who would've thunk it?

Whip said:
It got an 8.2 at IGN.

We're talking about a site that claimed Neverwinter Nights was "good, very good, even brilliant in some aspects". We're talking about a site that claimed "Brian Fargo (was the) famed creator of seminal RPGs Baldur's Gate and Fallout".

Astromarine

Erudite
scores are meaningless, the only interest I had in the game was on whether it would be funny. Give me a 10 hour game which has me laughing for a lot of that period, and I'll call it a very very long comedy movie and enjoy it. This was the only game in which the gameplay was a secondary concern for my interest.

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to BE that funny. No funneh = no cashola

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
reviah said:
The Bard's quest is another cliché. He is charged with rescuing a beautiful princess locked in a tower by an evil wizard. But this is the Bard we're talking about, so he can't be brought to believe he is the Chosen One or that he should do a favor for anyone, even a hot princess. What does it take to set him on his journey? The promise of fortune and a little bonus. "I can read your mind," says the Princess via astral projection, "So imagine me doing what you are thinking three times a day for the rest of your life." Yeah, this game is funny, smart, and a little daring.

Wow, just wow.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
I also find it interesting how they consider the spell system to be "unlike anything done before", when it's actually not. It replaces the concept of spell books with Bard instruments for the purpose of determining spells that can be cast. No, never saw this being applied to Final Fantasies or even Wizardry 8. No sir.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Locue said:
I was convinced by the game's awful-ness when I heard about the dumbed down "inventory system". I wonder what else they've saved us the trouble of doing in the game? Killing the bad guy? :roll:

I have to agree. When I first heard about how the inventory system was handled, I knew it wouldn't be recieved that well. There's been discussions on here that mirror that review's opinion on the subject dating back months. Honestly, I have to wonder what Fargo was thinking when he gave the okay for that "feature" of the game. It's an astonishingly bad idea, no matter how you look at it. Even if you want to use the better weapon, but have a strong like for weapons of a certain type, you're screwed by that system. If you like maces and hammers, and get one, then pick up a sword that's a little better.. Too bad!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"We're talking about a site that claimed Neverwinter Nights was "good, very good, even brilliant in some aspects"."

It is. They are 100% right on the money.

"Brian Fargo (was the) famed creator of seminal RPGs Baldur's Gate and Fallout"."

R00fles! They were half right. As I recall: BRIAN FARGO presents FALLOUT!

dipdipdip

Liturgist
Well, this worries me, because now he's going to go ruin Wasteland (not that I didn't see any of this coming).

...and a 6.2 from Gamespot certainly is a low score when one considers that Gamespot gave Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel a 7.3.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
dipdipdip said:
Well, this worries me, because now he's going to go ruin Wasteland (not that I didn't see any of this coming).

...and a 6.2 from Gamespot certainly is a low score when one considers that Gamespot gave Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel a 7.3.

Wasteland: everything Fallout fans were waiting for since Brotherhood of Steel.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Nah, Fargo has already said several times that Wasteland would be more traditional than the new Bard's Tale would be.

Whipporowill

Erudite
I don't think people are worried about the traditional part or not - rather than the failure of execution, that was mentioned in yonder Gamespot review. I certainly see no reason to look forward to a Wasteland by inXile.

FireWolf

Liturgist
So, uber simplified inventory won't be in?

How about they have a streamlined leveling system which makes creating a good character better. See, instead of worrying players by making a bad choice of stats or whatever, the game levels the character for you thus eliminating the need to worry yourself over the potential problems of making or outfitting the character the way you want to. So much easier! so very much more simplified and thus streamlined. I could be onto a winner here, folks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom