Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale III on C64!

geminito

Liturgist
I've recently discovered the joys of C64 emulators! And I've started playing Bard's Tale 3, and WOW I'm loving it all over again!

Are there any classic RPGers here to help me?

I've always wondered about the starter dungeon... It takes me forever to get my characters to a high enough level to be able to survive long enough to get to Brilhasti Ap'Tarj and kill him. It takes me way too long to finish the starter dungeon. How can I get through it faster?? How long does it typically take other people to go through the starter dungeon when starting with level 1 characters?

I'm aware of the "instant level 30 character" cheat, but it assumes that you already have characters strong enough to kill Brilhasti... so that doesn't help.

Any ideas are welcome!

Cheers!

JanC

Liturgist
I played that game years and years ago. The memories are a bit faded now, but I recall that it took aeons to get anywhere. Not like todays instant gratification games, no sir!
I found rogues to be very useful because (I think) they had instant kill powers and were invulnerable in the shadows. Fighters were just about useless at high levels, so don't bother with them,.

Tris McCall

Novice
<< It takes me way too long to finish the starter dungeon. How can I get through it faster?? How long does it typically take other people to go through the starter dungeon when starting with level 1 characters? >>

Funny you should ask -- as a pre-teen kid, it honestly took me about three months of steady playing to luck my way through the starter dungeon. I'm not sure I've ever completed a tougher segment of a computer game.

I remember playing Bard's Tale III on my Commodore in the dark, late at night, and being legitimately frightened out of my mind. I'm sure being eleven years old had something to do with it, but still, there was something indisputably evocative about the starkness of that interface.

Recently, parts of Icewind Dale 2 scared me, but then driders always freak me out.

Easily freaked out,
Tris McCall

Jiles

Educated
It was that long ago that I completed it, that I only remember the fact that I completed and very little else about the game. Oh, don't make you're lead 'tank' a Geomancer. It makes the game harder later on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom