Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Update #29: Combat Mechanics Overview

The Great Deceiver

Trickster
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
inXile desperately need a new art director. It's just a mockup, I know, but it still looks atrocious.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Lack of creativity.
Err, no. If there's one thing you can't say about wtf they just explained, is lack of creativity.
Too much creativity bullshit I'd say. Like a painter who cannot just fucking stop and keeps adding and adding and adding so much shit on his canvas that you end up a maelstrom of shit while just a simple touch would have been enough. Like a speaker who cannot make a fucking point in 2 minutes and needs 2 hours of shit in between. Like a writer who cannot just fucking st...wait a second...

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Lack of creativity.

Wait, what. He's complaining about BT4's innovation - which side are you on again?

(yeah, yeah, I know, you probably think this isn't REAL innovation because they're not breaking out of the gamist shackles of the blobber formula or something)

Lack of creativity.
Err, no. If there's one thing you can't say about wtf they just explained, is lack of creativity.
No. Those abilities are all just very modern RPG school of design. Nothing new about it.

Also turning combat into some sort of abstract positioning puzzle is a nice easy way out from the challenge of making blobber combat tactical.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
No. Those abilities are all just very modern RPG school of design. Nothing new about it.
Always understood creativity as the ability to meld together multiple existing things in order to create something new from them.

Also turning combat into some sort of abstract positioning puzzle is a nice easy way out from the challenge of making blobber combat tactical.
Blobber combat..tactical...
Weirdly enough, I always enjoyed my blobber combat as the more passive and automated the better. It's always been to me the definition of non tactical, 100% asbtracted, combat system where the goal is to plan ahead (gear, strength, abilities, etc), then just let it ride pretty much. To each his own I guess :)

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Might as well not have combat in that case.
What an odd thing to say. Letting plans and preparations unfold without user input does not remove their interest. I don't need constant buttons to push to be satisfied and enjoy myself, especially in a cRPG, even more so in a blobber.

As in, copy what's current standard and apply your twist.
Current or older, doesn't matter, but otherwise yea. That's creativity really. Nobody just "creates" something from nothing.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Nobody creative just copies what's trendy.

What an odd thing to say. Letting plans and preparations unfold without user input does not remove their interest. I don't need constant buttons to push to be satisfied and enjoy myself, especially in a cRPG, even more so in a blobber.
You're well served then.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
You're well served then.
K you're prolly just trolling but in case, could you provide just an example of a blobber you'd recommend as something that interest you and fits what you expect in them? Just so that I get a reference really.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Why this sudden hating on MMX? It was/is a fine, fine game. The only real issue with it was the intensive system issues/GPU heating issues, aside from that the game is sweet. Not much more you can ask for in a turn based blobber to be honest.

Well you should know after near 10 years how it works: eventually EVERY game becomes shit around here...

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
MMX was good.

Bard's Tale IV is shaping up to perhaps be better. It does appear from this update to be drawing some serious Wizardry influence. Front row, back row formations, weapon reach and shuffling around party positioning.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't think the consensus on MMX was ever that positive besides the shilltastic review by sceptic.

Well sceptic at least knows what he's talking about being an actual player of blobbers and a fan of MM series unlike some others that play the 'edge' card on every thread despite not knowing anything about the genre. Even if in the end MMX is far inferior to S&S Underworld as a true MM game, I don't begrudge sceptic's enthusiasm of the gaming equivalent of a drink in the desert.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
MMX had

* puzzles and secrets
* charm and style, even if ripped off from nu-homm
* hot sorcs
* fun

name one other game to deliver on all of these sensible old school values

I don't think the consensus on MMX was ever that positive besides the shilltastic review by sceptic.

Hey, our two previews were pretty shilltastic too.
everything you write is shilltastic

Zeriel

Arcane
Why this sudden hating on MMX? It was/is a fine, fine game. The only real issue with it was the intensive system issues/GPU heating issues, aside from that the game is sweet. Not much more you can ask for in a turn based blobber to be honest.
MMX was good and will certainly be better than this game

That's interesting. Why are you so sure of that? I loved MMX, I'm just unaware of any points on BT4 that would make it a certainty it's going to be worse. Educate me, senpai.

hpstg

Savant
Nobody creative just copies what's trendy.

You're well served then.
Yeah, like, that never happens and all good things are all original. Trends are never copied and transformed. Wtf are you smoking. I also read another thing you said about positioning somehow making things less tactical. I'm don't really play blobbers so I can't really have an opinion on it, but could you please explain? Read like that sounds completely stupid, and I'm probably wrong about it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
MMX was mediocre at best. Shit itemization. Shit class abilities/spells. Shit/generic world. Grimrock 2 had better aesthetics.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
MMX was mediocre at best. Shit itemization. Shit class abilities/spells. Shit/generic world. Grimrock 2 had better aesthetics.
Itemization was cool. Some OP weapons with cool effects from secret puzzles making a real difference in combat.
MMX was good and will certainly be better than this game

That's interesting. Why are you so sure of that? I loved MMX, I'm just unaware of any points on BT4 that would make it a certainty it's going to be worse. Educate me, senpai.
Because inXile lacks direction and cannot cut bad content from their game, whether its writing or encounters or whatever. A lot of the content end up bad because of 'too many chefs' (writing, area design?) or just inexperience or ineptitude (system design, holistic quality).

It's not impossible that BT ends up being a fun game, but their track record makes me think it won't be. Same goes for Numenera from what I've heard from beta testers.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
MMX was a glorified mobile game, and not a very good one at that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom