Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter Update #51: Final Words from Brian Fargo + Spotlight #3

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment; The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep

The Bard's Tale IV was at Gamescom last week. Brian Fargo made an appearance on IGN's livestream to talk about it, but he didn't really reveal anything new. Nevertheless, we're now two and a half weeks away from release and inXile are wrapping things up. They released a third spotlight video, this time showcasing the game's characters and authentic™ Scottish voice acting. The latest Kickstarter update has some final words from Brian, including details about some features they've added to the game in response to backer feedback. I'll post both here:

A Message from Brian

What an incredible last six years it has been. I had given up all hope of creating the kind of RPGs that I like to make, then along came Kickstarter, and now here we are about to finalize our third crowdfunded game. Thanks again for trusting us.

Our goal with these games is to under promise and over deliver, and we hope you feel that we’ve accomplished this with The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep. Most people don’t realize how much of our own money we pour in to make these games as special as possible. In this case, we spent more than 5x the amount raised via Kickstarter! We can’t help being passionate and giving it our all. If you haven't seen them yet, be sure to check out the spotlight videos we have been creating for the game.

The game ended up with 350 speaking parts, over 30 distinct locations, and over 100 pieces of music. The Windows version is still on schedule for the 18th and then all hands are on deck to get the Mac and Linux versions out as fast as we can. We are hitting ALL our stretch goals, and have incorporated a tremendous amount of feedback from the beta test. The only slightly bad news is that we will be late on a few items, but they are most assuredly coming in the following weeks after release.

Backer Feedback & Game Length

Between the alpha and beta, we received a number of great "throwback" suggestions in addition to the ones we already had. Taking a page from the Bard's Tale remaster, we decided to bring all of these features into what we're calling a "Legacy Mode". The bad news is that, in order to get them all in, we'll need time to iterate, so they won't be ready at release time. The good news is that the list of features is much more than we were originally intending on doing, all thanks to your suggestions. In addition to the previously discussed grid-based movement and hiding the minimap, we're also working on features such as old school scrolling text for combat, a save system closer to the original games for hardcore purists, and even an ability to bring back the "A-Team". This will be another of our immediate focuses post-launch, and you can look for the Legacy Mode to arrive sometime soon after the game's release.

And though we promised a 25-hour game, playtests are showing it to be closer to 35+. And while it’s hard to be objective about your work, I can honestly say I’ve enjoyed playing it and found myself at many times wanting to play for “30 more minutes.” I’ve had to re-play the first 10 hours of the game at least 20 times and it’s a good sign when it’s still enjoyable.

Again, we are very happy to announce that we're hitting on all goals, and where we aren't hitting certain time frames on stuff, we are looking to make up the difference with added value. On that note, an added thank you for your patience, every backer will be receiving the digital version of our Strategy Guide for free. It's just one more way to acknowledge that we appreciate all the support that you have given us.

I know you all love RPGs and we love making them! We are counting on this success so we can continue to bring you more of these great games, including future installments of the Bard’s Tale!
    Meanwhile, on their Twitter account, inXile have posted what looks like a brief snippet of a video showing the Garden of the Gods map from the last Wasteland 3 Fig update, now with a functional user interface. I guess we know what's coming next.

• Excited! x 4
    • Brofist x 1
    • nice x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Dreed Bremsstrahlunged Patron

Dreed
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Maybe he mixed it up and told the Nu-Torment team to over promise and under deliver :M

• Funny x 14
    • :M x 4
    • Brofist x 1
    • nice x 1
    • decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Invictus Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I really hope this does well, it looks fun and even though Torment was a flop Wasteland 2 delivered and this game looks like it is going to be good too
    I especially liked those ideas for the oldschool legacy mode

• Agree Agree x 4
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    WL2 was awesomesauce. Torment was boringblaise.

This looks ?.

• Balanced Balanced x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. tindrli Arcane

tindrli
    somehow i didnt like any of NPC-s shown and also i didnt remember anything about them either. their animation is disgustingly
    generic

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Father Foreskin Learned

Father Foreskin
    As much as i have shat on Fargo and inxile, i hope they make it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    Bard's Tale IV in a nutshell.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Contagium Literate Patron

Contagium
    35 hours of playtime? Wish someone would make some sort of blobber with up to 600 hours playtime...:obviously:

• Prestigious x 6
    • Funny x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. fabrulana Educated Patron

fabrulana
    A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    upload_2018-9-2_11-14-6.png

• Participation Award x 5
    • incline x 3
    • Prestigious x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Said no adult ever. :P

• Funny Funny x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Pirata Alma Negra Learned

Pirata Alma Negra
    First rule of humor: never explain a joke

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Roqua Arcane In My Safe Space

Roqua
    Nice. More features just give more replay options over time. I don't are about all of them, but grid based movement is always 100x better than free movement, and I prefer restrictive save systems.

What does "bring back the A-Team" mean? Full party gen right from the get-go? I hope so.

Like I said before, people now have their second chance to support a non-super-indie blobber with their wallets. This game doesn't do most of the things it does how I wanted it to, but if you want a blobber future brighter than the almost blobber-free last two decades, your choices are support or shoot yourself in the foot. Hopefully the most destructive forces attacking this game won't be like MMX - the people claiming to like and want blobbers. It is inarguable that our crpg libraries are richer for having MMX made, and I wish people supported it enough to ensure a XI instead of having hissy fits and destroying the chances of an XI.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Strange Fellow Cold Patron

Strange Fellow
    This isn't a blobber :outrage:

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Roqua Arcane In My Safe Space

Roqua
    How are you reasoning that?

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Strange Fellow Cold Patron

Strange Fellow
    Positioning of individual characters on a combat grid. If everything isn't happening in first person, it's not a blobber. Not that it matters.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Roqua Arcane In My Safe Space

Roqua
    In blobbers the party moves as a blob with no graphical representation (a blob with arms and legs). Combat and combat movement is irrelevant. Your reasoning is completely off and would rule out the gold box games, Wiz8, the RoA trilogy, etc.

Your same reasoning has caused people to insanely call games like LoX blobbers. It truly is insane. In no game that is considered a blobber does the party attack as some sort of blob. Combat has characters acting independently and making independent choices in every single blobber, whether combat has movement, placement, or a different perspective. There are some games I can think of where the party attacks as a blob - like ICEY, so I guess you could call that game a Combat Blobber if you want.

• retadred retadred x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. Strange Fellow Cold Patron

Strange Fellow
    No.
    Yes.
    No.
    Yes.

There isn't a dictionary definition of the term anyway. We're just arguing semantics.

^ Top  
  18. Urthor Arbiter Patron

Urthor
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    The inner conflict within the Codex, unable to shit on a Bard's Tale game but unable to forget this is the guy who already shat on Planescape Torment with some absolutely horrific turn based combat

• Creative Creative x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Roqua Arcane In My Safe Space

Roqua
    No. There is a history to the term. The people that helped coin it are still around. What it meant then is what it means now. I recently ask to make sure I was still right about everything I say - and guess what? I am. The games it covers then are the games it covers now. New guys and children can't come in and start saying "these blobbers aren't blobbers" or "Lords of Xulima is a blobber."

A game I played called Seven Mages allowed you to split party members out and had graphical representations of those party members, and you could switch back and forth, etc. Not covered in the original meaning of the word, but still a blobber.

It meant, means, and will always mean a party game in which your whole party moves around the game in first person. Moves around as a blob. Period. End of discussion. No semantics needed for such an easy concept.

• retadred retadred x 2
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Roqua Arcane In My Safe Space

Roqua
    I love how the little kids are giving me their bad buttons. "Blobbers are whatever I want them to be!!!!" Sorry kids, they aren't. You made the term rpg useless and apply to everything. You are trying to do the same with gender. It isn't going to work with something so simple and easy to understand as blobber to even your fellow child compatriot posters here, since even they can easily understand it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Strange Fellow Cold Patron

Strange Fellow
    Yeah, I'm gonna need a citation on this.

^ Top  
  22. Roqua Arcane In My Safe Space

Roqua
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Bohr Erudite

Bohr
    The Gold Box games were always debatable though, right from the origins of the term on the Dex, and given I spent the majority of the time in those games controlling individual party members I never really thought of them as true 'blobbers' in the Wizardry style.

And that discussion you linked to prove how right you are touches on this too.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  24. Roqua Arcane In My Safe Space

Roqua
    I think the point you are trying to make is I am right. I agree. You agree. We all agree.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)