Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Bard's Tale IV News Roundup: Launch Trailer, Spotlight #4, Combat Overview, 300k Wishlists Achieved

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: David Rogers; InXile Entertainment; Paul Marzagalli; The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep

The Bard's Tale IV is now five days away from release and inXile are doing their best to hype things up. A few days ago they released a fourth spotlight video highlighting the game's Gaelic soundtrack, but the real action began today with the early release of its launch trailer. It's a pretty effective trailer, I think.

There's also a new ten minute gameplay video over at IGN. Narrated once again by creative director David Rogers, this particular video aims to showcase one of the game's more advanced combat scenarios, pitting a six character party against a band of cultists.

Finally, inXile announced today that their Bard's Tale IV wishlist initiative had reached 300k wishlists, reducing the game's price from $40 to $35 (and also adding the torch from Darkest Dungeon on the way, but who cares about that). Preorders are now available on Steam and GOG at that price. Unfortunately, according to inXile's community manager that means the wishlist initiative is over now, so we won't be getting that free dungeon DLC. It wouldn't surprise me if the price is eventually reduced to $30, though.

• Brofist x 7
    • meh x 4
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. MurkyShadow Glittering gem of hatred Patron

MurkyShadow
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
    Five days you say?
    I will contemplate buying* after the fifth codex review.+M
    *the definitive edition in a season sale in five years or so

edit:
    On a more serious note, I'm having difficulty seeing this as a Bard's Tale game.
    I think I might view it different, standing alone for itself. Which doesn't mean
    it'll be bad. Though I'm still not sold on the interface. I'll be interested to hear
    the first codex experiences in this regard. I can't get quiet over the non ironic
    excitement of one of the earlier videos, citing that there will be many boxes to
    smash, as this is something a crpg will not be complete without. Maybe the
    presenter was trying to be funny and just failed his skill check? :?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    ^ Top  
  3. Invictus Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Really looking forward to this game I truly hope it does well, it looks like fun and might be the first game I play ok release in a very long time

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Felix Arcane

Felix
    Premium/Standard/Platinum/Ultimate edition? WTF? Is this some sort of new jewish practice?

• Old Old x 5
    • Racist Racist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Bohr Erudite

Bohr
    If it's a success we could still get V2 with the manual

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Darkzone Arcane

Darkzone
    I dont know if this good or bad news. Nevertheless Kudos to Brian Fargo for at least giving a chance (no matter how small it is) to a Dwarven Dungeon of Haernhold free DLC.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Sacibengala Learned

Sacibengala
    The keys are out!

• incline incline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. CRD Learned Patron

CRD
    I really hope the game is good, I want another crawler as good as grimrock 2, it's been a while.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    They're launching with those portraits? Nice fucking meme game.

^ Top  
  10. toro Arcane

toro
    Yeah. I finally got the key only after I've reopened the survey and saved again.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Gylfi.Fenriz.Conquests Augur

Gylfi.Fenriz.Conquests
    wow, that was a lot of gibberish i'm not very interested in

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Arbiter

Tuco Benedicto Pacifico
    I have to admit that even as a complete sucker for any barely decent tactical turn-based game that combat overview video stroke me as a unnecessarily convoluted snoozefest.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Got my GOG key!! I'm actually looking forward curious about this one.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Grauken Arcane Patron

Grauken
    Hey, of those of you who played the Beta extensively, does it make sense to wait that they implement the grid-movement, or is this just a gimmick at this point and I should play the game as is when it comes out?

^ Top  
  15. Gecos Learned

Gecos
    I also got the (so far) standard key for my super-duper double collector box edition but the good news is that while watching Cohh play it yesterday, I liked pretty much everything I saw. Not too many bugs also and nothing critical.
    I'm genuinely pleasantly surprised, InXile! Can't wait to dive in myself!

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. toro Arcane

toro

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Always trying to buy games I like directly from devs but inXile only sells Steam keys. Lame. Sad.

^ Top  
  18. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    • Old Old x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    The talk of bugs and random crashes in that review is concerning.

^ Top  
  20. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    Reading the pro and cons I have to say it's pretty much what I'm expecting from BT4. Only the combat I'm not really sold. I just have to see it in practice.
    The graphics I expect some nice sceneries but overall the graphics won't be top notch. Something I can really live with.
    That the game won't be bugfree and have good performance on release is something everybody is probably expecting. It's not their strong side and unity seems to be a bit complicated in that regard. I guess it will improve over time but if it's playable I'm already happy.

^ Top  
  21. Grauken Arcane Patron

Grauken
    Isn't this the Unreal engine?

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Politician Lurker King

Politician
    I hope this will attract a broader audience to play Grimoire. XD

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    No, it's expected.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    Oh my bad. Then there seems to be not much of a difference which engine you use in the end when it comes to optimized framerates...

^ Top  
  25. Invictus Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    So the game is buggy, the combat is a bit basic, the puzzles easy and the graphics are not Crysis... yup we all knew that
    Still going to get it

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)