Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bard's Tale IV Spotlight #2: Combat

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: InXile Entertainment; The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep

The next episode in inXile's series of Bard's Tale IV spotlight videos is about the game's combat system. It offers a brief look at the variety of tactics available at the player's disposal - stealth and ambushes, defensive tactics such as caltrops and positioning, and offensive tactics such as combos and charged attacks.

Fun stuff. Bard's Tale IV is at Gamescom this week, so perhaps we'll see more of it soon.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Those enemies have the worst peripheral vision I've ever seen. Combat looks fun though. Charged attacks are cool.

I posted this in another thread, but damn, the UI looks like total shit.

It will completely fuck up the entire gaming experience, no doubt.

Zeriel

Arcane
I hate to muh UI too, but I'm amazed they still haven't changed the portraits. Everyone hates it, yet they plow forward. Then again, I suppose that's just a parable for InXile as a whole at this point. Carry on.

Ocelot570

Educated
InXile just seems to be so set in their backwards ways of trying to make an old game mesh with modern standards of graphics and utility and it just becomes a hot mess. The UI is a mess and I personally hate the grid system of how the enemies are lined up. I expect the combat to be boring and tiresome.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also, is it just me or does the performance seem really bad? Everything seemed really choppy and poorly optimized.

Tigranes

Arcane
It just looks incredibly ugly on every imaginable level, and so slow and clunky to boot. Even watching the video for 10 seconds makes me frustrated.

You'd think they'd make sure you can play it keyboard only, snappy and quick, and then use that knowledge for the inevitable console port.

InXile just seems to be so set in their backwards ways of trying to make an old game mesh with modern standards of graphics and utility and it just becomes a hot mess. The UI is a mess and I personally hate the grid system of how the enemies are lined up. I expect the combat to be boring and tiresome.

The grid + UI looks ass ugly, so much so that the gameplay almost looks like a virtual card game overlaying the gameworld.

You would think that InXile would design a much less invasive UI that makes more efficient use of real estate, like the UI in Legend of Grimrock for example.

They managed to make the whole party look like audience in a cinema. Probably intentional.

It looks like it was inspired by Mystery Science Theater 3000, yet made to look even more distracting.

UnknownBro

Savant
Any of you guys have any links to download this to my phone?

Looks dope!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom