Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Bard's Tale IV will get cheaper if enough people wishlist it on Steam and GOG

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment; The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep

We've all heard of Kickstarter stretch goals. We've seen some games get pre-order stretch goals. If you look hard enough, you might even find some wishlist stretch goals. But I'm pretty sure there's never been a wishlist stretch goal that offered to reduce a game's price if the goal was met. That's what Brian Fargo is offering for The Bard's Tale IV, along with some other stuff. I'll let the press release explain:

[​IMG]

NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. – Aug. 16, 2018 – inXile Entertainment, the studio led by Interplay founder and industry icon Brian Fargo, is proud to announce The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep Wishlist Initiative, an evolution in the relationship between an indie developer and its fanbase. In a project that is the first of its kind, gamers who wishlist The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep on either the game’s Steam or GOG.com pages add to an overall counter that unlocks bonuses which reward all purchasers of the game now and in the future.

At 100k wishlisters, inXile will partner with Red Hook Studios to provide an in-game version of the iconic torch from Darkest Dungeon. According to Red Hook Studios Co-founder Tyler Sigman, “Darkest Dungeon has its roots in classics like The Bard’s Tale, so to be a small part of helping to bring the series back is a real treat for us as fellow game devs and especially as fans.”

At 300k wishlisters, the retail price will drop from $39.95/£29.99 to $34.95/£27.99.

At 500k wishlisters, two amazing tiers will unlock: first, the retail price will drop to $29.95/£24.99, knocking a full $10 off the original price. Secondly, a free DLC will be created and released for all game owners called “The Haernhold,” which finds characters adventuring in the dwarven realm of Kinestria.

In "The Haernhold" DLC, players gain the opportunity to travel beyond Caith to another dimension - Kinestria, realm of the Dwarves. Therein lies the Haernhold, home of Daeglish, one of the characters that can join the player’s party in the main game. All is not well - the tomb of a Dwarven king has been defiled, and only the heroes from Skara Brae have the power to face the darkness that has been unleashed. The only portal to Kinestria resides in Fort Garendon, and it is there where the player’s cross-realm odyssey will begin.

In 2012, inXile was in the vanguard of proving that crowdsourcing was a viable alternative for indie developers to pursue their dream projects. inXile then introduced the Kicking It Forward program, which created a pattern where successful indie devs could help others fund their own projects. Brian Fargo then joined the Advisory Board of Fig, which brought the power of investment to crowdfunding. Now, with this Wishlist Initiative, inXile is inviting their fans and RPG fans to take part in this collective effort to bring crowdsourcing to sales platforms.

According to inXile CEO Brian Fargo, “Crowdfunding opens up so many possibilities because it allows us to pursue ideas that we might not otherwise and to take creative risks. Our backers helped us get The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep made, and now we’re hoping that all our fans can help us spread the word about it, and in doing so, unlock rewards for themselves and help make the game that much more accessible for the wider gaming audience out there. Putting a game on your wishlist costs nothing, yet can mean everything to an indie studio like us. With this initiative, we’re hoping to have it mean something extra for our fans, too.”

The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep will launch on Windows PC on Sept. 18, 2018. It is expected to arrive later this year on the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, Xbox One, Mac and Linux. Weekly updates on the Wishlist Initiative will be provided on the company’s social media accounts: https://www.facebook.com/TheBardsTale and https://twitter.com/Inxile_Ent
    It's known that wishlisting a game affects Steam's discoverability algorithm, making it appear more often on the store's front page. What I suspect happened here is that inXile realized that $40 is too high a price point for this game, but rather than just unilaterally drop the price, they decided to try to get something out of it. Wishlisting doesn't cost anything, so you all might as well head over to The Bard's Tale IV's Steam and GOG pages and add it.

UPDATE: Wishlisting the game on the Humble Store will now also count towards the total.

• Participation Award x 6
    • hopw roewur ne x 4
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • rolleyes x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Sacibengala Learned

Sacibengala
    Wish they use that kind of cleverness in their games.

• Funny Funny x 21
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. HanoverF Arcane Patron

HanoverF
    MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Maybe if you give it a good metacritic review sight unseen they'll send you a free copy.
    :dontbelievehislies:

• Funny Funny x 13
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Kit Walker Totally Not Captain Shrek

Kit Walker
    [​IMG]

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Agree, maybe if they used that cleverness on their games they wouldn't need to be desperately clever marketing their games.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    His ex golddigger wife kinda looked like Melania iirc.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 4
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • M'lady M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Ovplain Arcane

Ovplain
    Wishlisted it across the board, why not!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Feyd Rautha Cipher Patron

Feyd Rautha
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I backed this on kickstarter for 20$. I will get the game and got Bard's Tale Trilogy Remastered for free. Pretty good deal.

How stupid are you if you buy this post kickstarter? You got a much better deal as early bird backer. Anyway I wishlisted it now so that people can buy it cheaper but my god people are stupid. Protip: If you intend to buy a product, do it as early bird backer.

• retadred retadred x 5
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    BTW, interesting that the free DLC is the Realm of the Dwarves when the unreached $1.7M stretch goal from the Kickstarter campaign was the Realm of the Elves:

To be fair, Colin McComb isn't around anymore...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Feyd Rautha Cipher Patron

Feyd Rautha
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    and thank the gods for that!

• Yes Yes x 3
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Buying things after they have already been produced (and reviewed by the public) is never stupid, don't care if you save $20.

That being said, Kickstarter backing isn't a bad way to combine getting the game on launch with a Christmas sale price if you are confident in your predictions.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. Matt van der Iver Literate

Matt van der Iver
    I've wishlisted it across the board but I hope this doesn't become a standard marketing tactic.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Invictus Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    You can love or hate Fargo but the man is a snake oil salesman of the highest quality; rather than just lowering the price of the game he is getting some free marketing, free exposure and a good amount of goodwill if he does this
    All in all sounds like a great strategy

Oh and about backing this at the lower $20 price point during that Kickstarter... yeah after backing Wasteland 2 and enjoying it tremendously but with all the bad jibbies about Nu Torment (which turned out to be accurate btw) I didn’t feel like gambling until I had more info on the project itself
    But in all honestly the game looks fine and definitely worth it if they decided to charge $30 for it.... plus because of the regional discounts I will probably get it closer to $18
    :troll:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Ulfhednar Learned

Ulfhednar
    If only you could find 1M customers as easily as you could write 1M words...

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Contagium Novice Patron

Contagium
    It'll stay on my wish list until it hits 50% off in a year or so. Such a backlog of games as it is.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Deus Vult x 1
    • Heresy x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Valky Cipher Manlet

Valky
    Not sure that I trust inXile's ability to make incline but I wishlisted on gog so my fellow codexians can get a cheaper game.

• incline incline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. ortucis Prophet

ortucis
    :rpgcodex:

Removed it from the wishlist to counter the corporation brainwashing the Codex.

• Salute x 7
    • Funny x 2
    • Edgy x 2
    • decline x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. catfood AGAIN

catfood
    I will buy this game if it is free.

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. TerriblyParched Barely Literate

TerriblyParched
    Am I the only one who sees this as a ludicrous marketing tactic given that it inherently implies the original price was a deliberate act of overcharging their customers? That, in fact, their game does not have much value. They're engaging in a move that can more or less be summed up as "we can afford to charge you less for our product if you only vaguely hint at the possibility of wanting it."

How is that clever?

• Brofist x 1
    • Participation Award x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    Real men don't care about retarded concepts like "backlog".
    Just play it and enjoy good stuff.
    Don't turn gaming into second job.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  21. Strange Fellow Magister Patron

Strange Fellow
    It's just good sense to have games lined up. Fewer impulse purchases that way, at least for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Contagium Novice Patron

Contagium
    Yeah, and most new games are in a shit state when first relrased. Waiting a bit for bugs to get ironed out with a potential price drop is a savvy move

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Eh. Probably will buy the original remakes, instead of this thing.

• incline incline x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Invictus Arcane The Real Fanboy

Invictus
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    The remakes are fucking good but you should also give this a try man, it looks good and most importantly FUN

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)