Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Bard's Tale tellings at GamesDomain

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Bard's Tale (2005); Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment

<a href="http://gamesdomain.yahoo.com/">GamesDomain</a> has posted <A href="http://gamesdomain.yahoo.com/feature/39133">an interview</a> with <b>Brian Fargo</b> about <A href="http://www.inxileentertainment.com">Bard's Tale</a>. Here's the stuff we already know:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Games Domain: The question on everyone's mind at this point: How close to the original does the game play?
<br>
<br>
Brian Fargo:</b> The Bard's Tale is an action/role-playing game with gameplay similar to Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 2 and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, but with humor and personality at every turn. It is designed from the ground up to make the compelling PC RPG experience we all know and love play well on a console.
<br>
<br>
The interface is intuitive and easy to access, the combat is addictive and the character interaction is fluid because you don't read paragraphs of text. You choose either a snarky or nice attitude and hear what The Bard has to say and how the characters react. The result is that dialog with other characters feels cinematic while still being interactive. Additionally, your snarky/nice choices have consequences that affect the path of the game. You can win either way but it will be a different experience.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Sometimes, I miss paragraphs of text.
<br>

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Why the hell are they singing an Irish traditional in that screenshot?
It doesn't fit in a fantasy setting. Sure, they usually take Irish tunes, but literally having them sing it is off if you ask me.

Unless the fantasy setting has tea, pence, a "Lord above", admirals, sultans, kings, etc.

FrankHorrigan

Liturgist
BF: The Bard's Tale not only is full of clever humor geared towards an adult audience (the average RPG player is about 30, after all) but it's a solid action-RPG at its core.

Did he copy and paste that from the FO:BOS press release?

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Allright then, it would have been better to make an original song though. This is a victorian age song AFAIK.

Straitlaceddeviant :

What's bad about them?
The drinking ballads are bad, yes, unless you're drunk which is exactly when you should sing them.

Jigs & Reels are not bad at all. I love them. They're so rhythmically correct percussion isn't required to dance. Wonderful music, really. Much bettter than most free-form classical music which could be called 'traditional' in the same way. (Exceptions like Mozart granted, but he never really wrote without a rythmical theme)

Anyway, was the original Bard's Tale in the same setting? I don't remember.

DamnElfGirl

Liturgist
You know, I think I'd feel a lot more kindly to this game if Fargo had just come out and said, "This new Bard's Tale is a silly, satiric romp that pokes fun of the RPG genre. The Bard is a wisecracking anti-hero, and we've provided simple, action-oriented gameplay." That sounds fun enough to me.

But instead he has to talk about providing a "spiritual successor" to the original Bard's Tale series and all these supposedly amazing genre-busting innovations they've done blah blah blah. Makes me want to not play the game simply out of spite. Not that I'd pick it up until I could find it for $10 in the remainders, anyway, but I somehow suspect that won't take too long.

MF said:
Straitlaceddeviant :

What's bad about them?
The drinking ballads are bad, yes, unless you're drunk which is exactly when you should sing them.

Jigs & Reels are not bad at all. I love them. They're so rhythmically correct percussion isn't required to dance. Wonderful music, really. Much bettter than most free-form classical music which could be called 'traditional' in the same way. (Exceptions like Mozart granted, but he never really wrote without a rythmical theme)

Anyway, was the original Bard's Tale in the same setting? I don't remember.

Try being subjected to them for 21 years and see how you like it.

Briosafreak

Augur
It uses the same dialogue system from Blade Runner, an excelent ADVENTURE game from some years ago.

The game was indeed excelent, but not because of that system. Really, calling this cinematic is a rather curious spin on things, it`s basically click button character says something that we can`t control and the game moves on while we say "what?". Very consolish i guess.

taks

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
<blockquote><b>Games Domain: The question on everyone's mind at this point: How close to the original does the game play?</b></blockquote>

Sometimes, I miss paragraphs of text.
yeah, what part of "how close to the original" did he miss?

i think it's a given that "not at all" is a relevant reply... this is almost as good as political spin!

taks

Voss

Erudite
Wow. The gameplay definitely looks deep and mature from the screenshots.

And, and. OmG! Rats are cliche! So lets do that! But then, theres this FLAMING rat! Isn't that kewl! Lol!Lol!
:roll:
Fuck's sake. Go home Brian. Neither this or the first BT was original. Admit you make derivative pieces of crap for the mass market and try to find some meaning in your life.

Ausir

Arcane
Wasteland was much better than the original BT anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom