Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vapourware Barkley 2 - the new Codex vaporware champion

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by eric__s, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Dawkinsfan69 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

Dawkinsfan69
    If I were in charge of this I would have just pocketed all the money from u virgin nerds and bought a house full of hookers.

Good on them to keep working on the game I guess, hope the memes are worth it !

^ Top  
  2. eric__s ass hater Developer

eric__s
    10th anniversary of Barkley is in 2 days too, or 3, I can't remember. Hopefully Barkley 2 will be out by its 10th anniversary.

• Funny x 8
    • Rage x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Up Yours x 1
    • Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    :x

• Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    post the manual....

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    To have an anniversary, it needs to be made first, you cheeky cunt.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Higher Game Arcane

Higher Game
    Grimoire and Age of Decadence make me want to believe.

^ Top  
  7. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Yeah, but Cleve and VD didn't have nervous breakdowns when Donald Trump was elected.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Derk Derm Literate

Derk Derm
    Perhaps I'm necroing this thread a bit, but I feel it's prudent to inform all Gun's & B-Ball Enthusiasts present that the chief pixel artist, frankie (frankiepixelshow on twitch), has been more-or-less regularly streaming himself working on the game roughly three days a week for the past year or so.

Things I've been able to glean from skimming through a bunch of the vods (I'm too busy to do screencaps of everything fuck off):

- Cave diving adventures are confirmed, with X114JAM9's animations being based on the swimming animations the turtles have in that one Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game for the NES.
    - Looks like most unique projectiles and projectile animations are done, unique firing sounds and exact weapon balance considerations are still being tweaked.
    - Seems there's still a ton of enemy and various NPC animations left to do because Frankie is insane and wants to do a ton of enemy and various NPC animations.

- The duergars are one of the main antagonists of the game, be careful around them! The vod whence this upcoming screenshot was procured was showing an early version of the start area, there's another one where frankie goes through it and adds a bunch of props, details and dead bodies for the true proper experience of escaping lethal death as an abnormally muscular diaper egg baby. I'm assuming the dialogue is final.
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Yeah that's cool and all, but at 8+ months since a backer update and nearly six years since the Kickstarter with no end in sight, this thread richly deserves and requires a Vaporware tag.

Infinitron DarkUnderlord

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    I've done my best to heckle cb in shoutbox whenever possible, but it doesn't seem to be enough.

I think he needs some... admin motivation.

^ Top  
  11. Blaine Cis-Het Oppressor Patron

Blaine
    Yep. As soon as I see him in the shitbox: "Barkley 2 when?".

Considering how long this game has been in development, it had better be Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Legend of Zelda, and Zombies Ate My Neighbors all rolled into one and amplified, and with the most compelling and entertaining blaxploitation/Space Jam theme of all time.

• Yes Yes x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. agentorange Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Codex 2012
    So who did have a breakdown?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    [​IMG]
    Some of us have not forgotten. Keep the torch burning Codex. Our vigilance shall be rewarded.

• Brofist x 2
    • Despair x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • No x 1
    • Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. ColCol Arcane

ColCol
    It's dead Jim

• Agree Agree x 6
    • No No x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    It would be nice if this and Octopus City Blues could at least do postmortems sharing what got created so that we could see. :/

^ Top  
  16. Higher Game Arcane

Higher Game

Hmm.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. MurkyShadow Glittering gem of hatred Patron

MurkyShadow
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
    That is not dead which can eternal lie. :cool:

• "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. almondblight Arcane

almondblight
    Octopus City Blues had a demo a while back, and I think they're planning on releasing another. They've also been pretty open about their development - they went to the KS backers a while back asking if they'd prefer a refund, the game to be split into two, or a delayed release (backers mostly chose the last option).

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Every OCB update seems to be written in the goofy in-character style, and while I appreciate the artistry of that, at some point I guess I would prefer that the curtain be pulled back and someone talk straight about what's happening. I do hope that the games get finished, but I can't say that what's now visible is materially different from what was visible during the Kickstarter (during the OCB Kickstarter they said they were on the cusp of a playable demo, and Barkley 2 anticipated releasing the game in less than a year -- both of them showed a lot of assets, and the current materials also show a lot of assets). Since my own projects always take many times as long as I expect, I haven't given up all hope; but since most of my projects get abandoned, I'm not very optimistic either.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I don't expect a public "straight talk" ever, in fact I'd be disappointed. Have you tried private messaging? eric__s is right there, maybe he will tell you secrets behind closed doors.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. almondblight Arcane

almondblight
    You might ave missed some of the more straight talk updates. Here's one from the beginning of this year. Excerpt:

Show Spoiler

It goes on. The latest update makes it sound like the plans have changed again, but I still think they've been decent about giving people a sense of what's been happening with development and what the future plans are. The earlier post were they were asking people if they preferred splitting the game in two or refunding the money is also one of the more "straight talk about what's happening"-type posts

^ Top  
  22. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Ah, I had missed that. Thanks!

^ Top  
  23. agentorange Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Codex 2012
    What the hell is Octopus City Blues? Is this another game they are working on? Does it have something to do with Barkley?

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. LeStryfe79 Deal Breaker Patron

LeStryfe79
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I have total faith in Eric. I love that guy.

• Brofist x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Wait. I never heard of Octopus City Blues until this moment. Is there something I should ... ? I can preorder that but ... ? Should I pretend I just never ... ?

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)