Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vapourware Barkley 2 - the new Codex vaporware champion

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by eric__s, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Gort replies to update: https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...rid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=253#post495672223

GZ replies to bort: https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...rid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=254#post495673270

• Slam dunk! x 8
    • Excited! x 2
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Codex strikes again.

• Funny x 7
    • nice x 2
    • Prestigious x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • M: x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. LeStryfe79 Deal Breaker Patron

LeStryfe79
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Thing is, I would totally be on board another KS created by a good decent Codexer, including Eric. I strongly believe in 2nd chances, and occasionally 3rd chances...

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Higher Game Arcane

Higher Game
    I have a sense that goons are like real life stormtroopers. They become exponentially more inept in numbers, but a couple of them might be competent. :kingcomrade:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Murk Arcane

Murk
    I don't know who any of these people are, so reading names like GZ or Liam just makes me think it's all 1 person who is arguing with himself.

eric__s tell us the truth, is the entire 'tales''' of gamse'es' crew all just different voices in your head that you argue with? When you said you went into someone's mother's basement to work on the game, was that a heavy metaphor about your own childhood trauma? Were you asking for help and we didn't understand?

• Funny x 15
    • Makes you think... x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    I have this friend that I don't like.
    Would totally stop talking to him, or smack-talk the guy, for 120k.
    Donations accepted.

Also, this drama came kinda out of nowhere. Everyone just assumed the thing was dead, as Gort wrote. But now we have this fountain of entertainment that suddenly appeared.
    Plus, yes, can someone please compile a list of people? I have trouble telling gort, bort, BZ, GZ, wtf, yourmom, etc. apart and what their actual job is/was.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Saduj Arcane

Saduj
    Any chance of making this turn based?

• Funny x 6
    • it is a mystery x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Slam dunk! x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    My incomplete list of dramatis personae from what I've pieced together. May update post as I assemble better information:

chef aka Chef Boyardee aka eric__s. The "left hand" and spiritual guide for the team. Has no hard feelings. Had ambitious, insane ideas and the talent to immediately implement them, at least sometimes.

GZ (who knows what those initials stand for?) aka Hiratio. The "right hand" and get 'er done man. The only competent game developer among them. Hates everyone except maybe Gort.

bhroom aka Bhroom aka Liam. Not a founding member of the team, but power mad producer, insisted on being the #1 guiding force, having approval on everything, and no one could veto any of his bad ideas e.g. Gelatinous Cube. Now wearing a public face of contrition and claims to continue work towards project completion (skeptics say to avoid having to give refunds).

bort aka Brian aka lordosis_gamer. bhroom's brother. Seems a voice of reason but GZ hates him anyway.

Gort aka Gortarius aka Laz (we think). Allied to GZ. Apparently had reasonable, doable ideas.

FrankieSmileShow. ??

Bisse. ??

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    • Informative x 8
    • Thanks! x 5
    • Salute x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I believe Gort is indeed Laz. The other two are different people

• Salute Salute x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    The game or the drama?

• Funny Funny x 11
    • nice nice x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Balanced Balanced x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. grimace Savant

grimace
    We each take turns posting.

One after the other.

• nice x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Generic-Giant-Spider Arcane

Generic-Giant-Spider
    They could use a COMMUNITY MANAGER, but for themselves.

• nice nice x 5
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. ColCol Arcane

ColCol
    Look I don't care anymore, can ya'll just release the turn based fft inspired basket ball mini game.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    It’s’s coming right after the demo with a novel’s worth of text!

• Funny Funny x 4
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. almondblight Arcane

almondblight
    As far as I can tell:

GZ/Hiratio, Chef/CBoy, and Bort/lordosis_gamer made Barkley 1. GZ was the main programmer, who one of the ToG guys said "made the game." Bort apparently abandoned the game before it was done (and would subsequently abandon Barkley 2 as well).

Some years later, Chef, Bort, and bhroom/Liam (Bort's brother, who wasn't involved in Barkley 1 and isn't a game developer or programmer) decided to run a KS for Barkley 2. GZ wasn't part of this "because I was aware of the many problems that could (and did) arise." The Kickstarter raises $120,000 to make Barkley 2. bhroom/Liam registers the company, and so he "owns" ToG (though I'm not sure how he'd legally be able to make a sequel to the original game without GZ signing off on it).

Frankie is the artist, and one of the few people actually paid for his work. They have him making thousands (literally?) of different guns for the game.

Bisse joined the project in 2013 and left in 2017.

Gort/Laz is a programmer that joined the project early on.

Apparently most people working on the game weren't paid, and bhroom/Liam was getting people to work by promising cuts from future profits.

GZ seems to help out in a limited capacity at some point.

Both Bort and Chef abandon the game at some point.

bhroom/Liam tries to get GZ to work full time ~3 years after the end of the Kickstarter, when the project has fallen apart and most of the money is gone. Promises him equal control, which he doesn't give.

GZ and Gort start making a big push, and the game starts moving forward, but Liam/bhroom isn't willing to make the cuts they feel are necessary for the game to ever get finished.

A few months ago, GZ told Liam/bhroom that he didn't think the game would ever get finished with him at the helm. He gives bhroom/Liam an ultimatum - give GZ a year to finish the game without Liam/bhroom's management, or GZ will leave. Liam/bhroom refuses, GZ leaves. Bisse and Gort leave around the same time. The project is pretty much dead at this point.

Parallel to this, the bball tactics guy joined the Barkley 2 team in 2014. He asks bhroom what he can work on for Barkley 2, and bhroom has him work on bball tactics (a mobile game/Barkley 2 minigame) instead of the main game. According to him:

The guys behind the Kickstarter (Bort, bhroom, Chef) decided to just ghost fans and remain silent for years, but GZ/Hiratio (who was the lead on the first game, but not part of the Barkley 2 KS) finally gave us an update on SA, leading to this sudden flood of info.

Apparently parts of the game have been playable for some years, so now Frankie and some others are trying to polish things up so people can at least see a demo (even if the actual game is never going to get finished).

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Suddenly, another infodump: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...quel-to-barkley-shut-up-and-jam/posts/2534817

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Shaewaroz Arcane

Shaewaroz
    In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
    • Old Old x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Slam dunk! Slam dunk! x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Possible playable demo in less than a week? Even the very idea? Words fail me.

• Slam dunk! Slam dunk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    @eric_s can we at least have your music tracks? Or are they owned by ToG?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. eric__s ass hater Developer

eric__s
    Yeah. I talked with Liam and he says it's okay for me to release my tracks, so I'm going to release them eventually. The computer I made them with is really messed up right now, so I think what I'll have to do is migrate all the tracks to a new computer, import all the instruments I made them with and rerender them, which will take a pretty long time, but I have 100% permission so it will definitely happen. The demo also loads the music externally, so any songs in it will be available as files in the download too.

• Friendly x 5
    • Brofist x 4
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Slam dunk! x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    Thank you. I know the failure of this project was painful to you and you didn't mean for this to happen.

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Iri Educated

Iri
    @eric_s :

Alot of weirdos post here, and you and that guy who types in all caps were two that I always enjoyed reading the most (after cleve, but I had to bleach my brain everytime) It sucks that the thing crashed and burned but I hope it wont stop you from being a cool dude and I think everyone here agrees that you seem like a cool dude. Game on!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Cheer up mate!

[​IMG]

We'll tar'n'feather you later, 'k?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Slam dunk! Slam dunk! x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Not surprisingly, paypal backers such as myself are left out in the cold. :cry:

EDIT: I PMed them and they set me up right away, I got the demo :)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)