Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Barkley 2 - the new Codex vaporware champion

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Tried it for an hour or so. Character creation is hilarious, but I'm not sure if it's just a joke or does it actually affect the game. The game froze before I could complete character creation. Tried the game with a controller, but it's definitely meant to be played with mouse & keyboard. Pixel art and animations look nice. Music sounds great. I got into the cybercity, but then pressed a random button on my keyboard and the game crashed. So the demo is unstable as hell. With the controller combat was unplayable, with keyboard & mouse it perhaps works better. As expected, the dialogue and story so far are very tongue-in-cheek.

orcinator

Liturgist
Got 2 hours into the demo with no problems. Humor is still on point but you're dropped into a relative large area full of NPCs which just made me wish there was a run button and a good portion of those NPCs weren't waiting around in otherwise empty houses.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
maxresdefault.jpg

mqdefault.jpg

Come on Eric! Quit being a pussy!

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You can bad ass your way through anything. Barkley 2 had a release date of 2023, so I don't wan't to hear any BS. I gave you $75. Get your fucking ass up and finish that game. Do it motherfucker. No excuses, just do it. You got 4 years.

You got 4 years. I believe in you.

It's damned time you believed in you too.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
eric__s Dude, truth is I think about your work not getting out there
I'm balling my eyes out man. I can't stop crying.

Okay, later.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
And yeah, if you havn't seen the movie Slap Shot, it's exactly the story of ToG.

Hey, the Blues just won in hockey and Toronto just won in B Ball. The stars are aligned motherfuckers!!!

It's time for the greatest comeback in video game history!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...quel-to-barkley-shut-up-and-jam/posts/2557485

BBALL TACTICS Playable Demo Out Now

2e88e0c9d71b1fab5678bc4696b106a4_original.png

Okay so just a quick update: The demo has been out for almost three weeks now and we’ve been making some just general fixes to it. I think there is another bigger update due soon for it that just solves more basic errors that have come through playthroughs and testing. But now on to the release at hand: Basketball Tactics aka BBTTX aka BBT aka Tactics Ballre: Let Us Slam Together.

The TL;DR of this is that the link is here: https://talesofgames.itch.io/basket-ball-tactics

NOTES:
  • Game is not thoroughly play-tested, but should run fine on most setups.
  • No real work has been done on the game in a while, it’s essentially in the state we last had it working.
  • IT IS ONLY LOCAL TWO-PLAYER. There is no AI.
  • You can play with 1 or 2 controllers.
  • There are DESIGN DOCUMENTS included in the zip file, just check out the DESIGN DOC folder. Most of that stuff is mentioned below.
Okay so now for some backstory -

The genesis of this game might be apparent – to solve the suspicious lack of bball at the beginning of the game. If you have played the demo you can play the Uschi Baller Quest and if you succeed, you end up playing a bball game against 3 duergars. That game, however is not included in the B2 project itself, and rather built on it’s own with a two-stage strategy:
  • Build the game on it’s own (as compile times were atrocious at the start of the project) with the intention of eventually adding it back into the single-player Barkley 2 game. This means making turn-based AI.
  • In the standalone project, we would develop the game with the purpose of releasing it as a mobile, touch-capable, multiplayer game. This would be released at some point before B2 as a fun teaser.
From the original design document, I created a few playthrough videos using a chess board and some color-coded tokens. The idea was to go through step-by-step what the game would play like and hopefully allow pasty enough agency to fill in the blanks and adjust the mechanics during development.

BBALL TACTICS PRACTICAL VIDEO ONE

BBALL TACTICS PRACTICAL VIDEO TWO

From there, programmer extraordinaire known as pasty set to work developing the systems that were needed, always with the intent on this being a multiplayer game. There were many rules that you can see evolving overtime from the initial design doc in the DEVELOPMENT NOTES that pasty kept meticulous track of. Those development notes are included in the zip.

After a while, a I created a new basic mockup of how the UI might work… with my focus being much more on WHEN the player interacts with the screen and leaving the HOW up to the code. Here is that video which also shows a decent example of the game play:

BBALL TACTICS UI MOCKUP

From there, we worked on the MENU and Multiplayer Lobby experiences. Also pasty was diligent to get the game running on mobile, so there does exist some touch-based controls for the game while running on iOS and Android.

From there, having spent the majority of the work in the code, he then came up with the existing radial design for the UI. This works a lot better than the vertical list that I had! Once we had that locked in, we started working with frankie to add enough sprites to get the animation system down.

What you are playing is the result of that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom