Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Brancaleone

Liturgist
I will go with something generic like "Black Company" or "Company of the Skull"(I will be using a custom black banner with white skull symbol).

Doesn't really matter bro. The default "Battle Brothers" is such a catchy name that I actually used it on most of my playthroughs.
I suggest BarbaBros.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I sometimes like to use the name of one of my guys in the company name, like Barney's Blades or Marvin's Murderers. How about Reinhardt's Reavers?

Tigranes

Arcane
I will go with something generic like "Black Company" or "Company of the Skull"(I will be using a custom black banner with white skull symbol).

Doesn't really matter bro. The default "Battle Brothers" is such a catchy name that I actually used it on most of my playthroughs.

Agreed. Actual mercenary company names from history are also amazing:

The Tards-venus (late-comers), led by Seguin de Badefol ravaged Burgundy and Languedoc and even defeated the forces of the Kingdom of France at the Battle of Brignais in 1362.

...he became commander of a force of Spanish mercenaries called Almogavares. Their name was derived from the Arab al-mogauar, meaning “one who devastates,”

One could also take after names of folks like John Hawkwood, who at one point led The White Company, or generic terms like Condottieri & Landsknechte obviously.

Can't wait for this. It's strange for a DLC to be more exciting than any full-sized game but that's the greatness of Battle Brothers for you.

Barbarian

Arcane
Can't wait for this. It's strange for a DLC to be more exciting than any full-sized game but that's the greatness of Battle Brothers for you.

"Current year" games have spoiled us for one too many "current years". Handholding, sjw crap, popamole, you name it. When a game comes along that has great gameplay, is challenging/unforgiving and extremely indifferent to social justice and PC, then we are all hooked.

One could also take after names of folks like John Hawkwood, who at one point led The White Company, or generic terms like Condottieri & Landsknechte obviously.

The game has a weird mix of german and english names, though they are mostly german and obviously the setting is inspired by medieval germany(and a german translation would go very well with it, a pity it is never going to be done).

I always name my company in english and fill the nickname/title space in english, but also always name my bros with german names. Actually, some of them only have a german nickname as the name. I suppose many of them are very silly for a native german speaker. For instance I'm quite sure "butter beans" are not a staple food anywhere in germany, certainly not in medieval germany. It is just a good reference name for a brawler(Eric Esch is one of the coolest boxers ever after all).

Some names I frequentely use: Brummer, Rabe, Grau, Butterbohn, Schreck, Borg(an eunuch character who was one of my main frontliners in the longest BB campaign I did)... Also some of the more unusual names from historical/legendary medieval characters: Götz, Jäcklein, Hannikel, Punker(I always name my top ranged bro this way).

Barbarian

Arcane
Some of the upcoming painted shields:

shields.jpg

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Time for the "Imperial Guards" to rise again (with the red and gold Gryphon/Laurel wreath banner).

sser Any chance of increased chance of events? Many times it took way too long between them, especially if you knew that you already had the requirements (almost literal years for the fucker to craft the wolf armor).

Barbarian

Arcane
I will enjoy the citation to also ask sser a pedantic question: any word on the new backgrounds coming along? or is the beast hunter background the only "official" one?

Would really love some other outcast medieval professions, such as executioners or barber-surgeons. Also a while ago I found out that an unspecified "wizard" background was planned(notice "wizard's hat" icon on the lower right):

B_zx0VnU0AEXlOf.jpg

Care to provide any details about what was planned and why it was scrapped? Nobody wants fucking magic users, but a charlatan "alchemist" or "wiseman" background would be pretty good and fit the setting. No special abilities or anything, just events and interactions related to his profession. Actually the "village elders" you meet using the hat and robe are supposed to be these sorts of quacks, right? With all the potion crafting going around now there would be no shortage of cool events/interactions for you create with it.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Event frequency I don't control - but it is one reason I flipped the design approach from active because of having XYZ characters, to a generic event with XYZ additional options if you have those characters in the party. There are still some unique events in regards to BG's, of course.

The wizard BG,

The 'wizard' was a charlatan of sorts - his BG text is actually written and it's basically things like him doing 'magic' with slight implications that it's all a show. I think one of the event ideas was to actually have the Minstrel 'expose' him, but I might be misremembering.

Barbarian

Arcane
Any chance he will be implemented? Why was he scrapped?

Also, is "beast hunter" the only new background?

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
That is cheating bro. You don't cheat on a game like this. Basically that mod shifts the balance to making the game much easier and one of its greatest attractions is that it is an unforgiving game.

Cheating in single player game...
What are you some sort of the melonfucker or maybe a Kraut apologist? Next time you gonna tell me that modding is bad, losing is fun and traps aren't gay.
Fucking seriously.
Sure the game isn't balanced for 18 troops on frontline(but I would argue that it isn't balanced for 12 either) and it definitely make game easier but:
>it make game flow much better
>it fit spirit of the game better
>there is no need to engage in recruitment roulette
>or mini maxing at all
Its just you your company of random bros and slaughter of enemy. No need for cheesing game AI or luring enemy patrols to help you with other enemies(oh yeah I beat Black Obelisk it was just me, my 12 bros and 40 orcs) or mini-maxing every brother.
Seriously who even try minimax them without save scumming? I can't even imagine the grind for gold for try to hunt them with no save-scumming.
Until grind/lack of high level replacements/blind recruitment get fixed save scumming is only viable option.

I know because I tried enough of this shit.
Now I have some fun - finally and then some melon fucker come and say:
"Oh no its cheating - you can't have fun in this game"
To be honest I get the challenging is fun part but its only truth early - when you short on cash and supplies and your troops can die in any fight easily - but they get easily replaced.
After that its just avoid enemy that you can't stomp(adjusted for player skill/game difficulty) so you can grind gold and exp and items.
I would gladly see option where player can set up max level for the company(obviously connected to the scaling) so player can play low level mayhem much longer but sadly its not possible.

Also new achievements.
DLS14RW.png

Last edited:

Bocian

Arcane
That is cheating bro. You don't cheat on a game like this. Basically that mod shifts the balance to making the game much easier and one of its greatest attractions is that it is an unforgiving game.
How is an option to have more men on the battlefield "cheating"? Why would anyone want to be outnumbered and outmatched when attacked by an enemy where the stake is everyone's lives? I've had several of situations like this, having people in non-combat reserve doing nothing in this case makes no sense, and it's arbitrary. Keeping wounded/tired men out of the front line makes sense in normal occurence when you pick your engagements, and the mod doesn't force you to use your full roster all the time.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
How is an option to have more men on the battlefield "cheating"? Why would anyone want to be outnumbered and outmatched when attacked by an enemy where the stake is everyone's lives? I've had several of situations like this, having people in non-combat reserve doing nothing in this case makes no sense, and it's arbitrary. Keeping wounded/tired men out of the front line makes sense in normal occurence when you pick your engagements, and the mod doesn't force you to use your full roster all the time.
Well, do what you want. It's a single player game, so who cares.

But it's a question of balance. Why, in many - or even most - RPGs is your party size restricted to to 4,5,6 members, when you've met more than a dozen NPCs who want to help you on your quest to stop 'the evil that's threatening to kill all life' (or take control of the world, etc.)? Why can you only take 4-6 members on mission in X-Com? There must be countless examples of arbitrary restrictions in games. Do you mod them all?

In case of BB, everyone fighting would just lead to more waiting around until every Bro is at full strenght with 100% repaired gear, because who would get into a fight when - as you said yourself - 'the stake is everyone's lives'?

Barbarian

Arcane
^^^^^

What the man said.

The game is balanced for 12 characters, period. You make the game easier by modifying its rules, that is cheating plain and simple. It would be the same for every party based rpg. Increasing party limit = much easier time. From Jagged Alliance to Baldur's Gate 2 to whatever else, having more npcs active simply means a much easier time. In basically all rpgs you recruit more npcs than you can take with you at a given time. "But it doesn't make sense not taking everyone with me to battle!", well it is a fucking game and it needs to have rules. That is specially true of rpgs, which traditionally needs a solid ruleset to even belong to the genre.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do whatever the heck floats your boat, but it is extremely popamole. I honestly never tried the mod but can only imagine how having a 50% larger active roster makes the game infinitely easier.

It is like a "story mode", except for a game where a "story mode" doesn't make fucking sense.

Parabalus

Arcane
It's like dicking around with cheat codes or the console, all fine and dandy as long as it doesn't affect the 'proper' game (for others).

Quatlo

Arcane
Barbarian is right, anyone who played Arcanum as charisma character knows that even a bunch of random shit-stated npcs with good enough equipement will swarm every enemy and faceroll it. Hell, meta for BB is to get 12 guys ASAP, even beggars.

Another easy remedy for 12 vs 50 fights could be if the game didnt punish you so much for retreating without casualties while doing some to the enemy, skirmishing was an actual tactic used by smaller forces against larger ones, why cant we do that here? I guess its too easily cheeeseable, give 12 war bows to everyone, spam pot shots and then run away with pathfinder, your only limiting factor being a number of ammo you have. The reason why people hate marksmen and other good ranged enemies, since there is nothing you can do to kill them except with your own archers, but you never have more of them than the enemy since you also need to have a decent front line so you end up getting PIERCED HAND every fucking fight against them on every fucking guy, that'd be the same but for the enemy.

Its kinda ridiculous tho that you give dogs as tile blockers to every battle bruva, thats silly.

It's really hard for me to come with an actual fix for moshpits without completely changing the game, people settled on battle forged (and nine lives on ironman)/anticipation + nimble on being the meta so it would be like completely shuffling balance in Starcraft for example because Protoss vs Protoss is just Dragoons and Reavers.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
>Balance is the enemy of fun

Anyway. With XCom or NuCom situation is rather clear - its capacity of your dropship(or flying taxi in nuCom). In X-Com in base defenses you could use all your troops that was sitting there.
I would say that situation here is going into another questionable design choices like the one with no commander on the field. It makes sense for X-Coms as you lead from affar and dropship limit your fielding capability but it not really make any sense in BB.
"Lets command from afar by smoke signals and hide my surplus soldiers in the bush so we can only field 12".
The old MechCommander/Warrior have some smart system where player was limited by slots/weight and it cost him to field mechs.
It could be used here to - mercenaries don't fight for free - so each mercenary that is fielded cost player a coin, so there is decision if player can field more low tier troops or less high tier or overpay and go into the red. So it would be more of soft cap than a hard one.
It not help that enemy is not limited by most rules that player is.

Also I have more that 1000 hours with 2X/3X speed on Expert(heck it was called deadly back then), playing with various self limiting house rules and other crappy self challenges and I could see when it was transforming from unbalanced and fun to 'balanced' and chore.

To be honest I would see this option for increased rooster(both line and reserves) incorporated into the proper game - it shouldn't allow for achievements tho(heck make it unlockable only for beating the game on ironman expert).
More options and customization is always better.
And who disagree with this statement is a filthy Kraut apologist and Hag follower.

The game is balanced for 12 characters, period.
I would argue on this point but it would be rather pointless.

Anyway new blog tomorrow. Only two more before release of DLC.
unhold_dead.jpg

Bocian

Arcane
Barbarian is right, anyone who played Arcanum as charisma character knows that even a bunch of random shit-stated npcs with good enough equipement will swarm every enemy and faceroll it. Hell, meta for BB is to get 12 guys ASAP, even beggars.
It's a feature. Not every character you play in Arcanum is supposed to have high charisma, and if you have it your PC is significantly weaker as an individual than designated solo builds. So, the strength of your character lies in other people that follow it and do the actual heavy lifting.
Except it isn't balanced, there are several occasions where you're outnumbered 3:1 by powerful enemies, and even if your party is high-level with best gear, due to the enemy numbers the soldiers will eventually run out of stamina and get their armors broken. I fail to see something bad in wider array of tactical options.
That is specially true of rpgs, which traditionally needs a solid ruleset to even belong to the genre.
Arbitrary rules that are pulled out of someone's ass, that serve only as unjustified "balance" that cannot be realistically, practically explained often kill the fun of the game, at least for me.

Barbarian

Arcane
Except it isn't balanced, there are several occasions where you're outnumbered 3:1 by powerful enemies, and even if your party is high-level with best gear, due to the enemy numbers the soldiers will eventually run out of stamina and get their armors broken. I fail to see something bad in wider array of tactical options.

The game is supposed to be difficult. If you want lower difficulty you can play on beginner.

Ooooor use other cheats like this increased roster mod. Whatever floats your boat. Can't take the heat get out of the kitchen and all that. Go play some candy crush or whatever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom