Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

gogis

Scholar
I need your help CODEXers.
Blog tomorrow but now I need a good map seed.
I get tired(a little) playing x-piratez and want to see if I still can't stomach BB.

Be careful, you will start to record another series on youtube and will never finish it. Again

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Thanks for the seed. Pretty good and have a strong starting bros.
I installed two mods worth installing:
>the one that increase amount of brothers on the field to 18 max
>that one that allow access to inventory before any battle
Art is great as I remember. Already annoyed by tutorial.

I need your help CODEXers.
Blog tomorrow but now I need a good map seed.
I get tired(a little) playing x-piratez and want to see if I still can't stomach BB.

Be careful, you will start to record another series on youtube and will never finish it. Again

Please no bully. YT days are over.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Dev Blog #103: Crafting
You may be wondering by now why you’d even want to take on some of the dangerous new beasts coming to Battle Brothers. Why risk your favorite guy getting charmed by a Hexe and hacking your other men to pieces? Well, firstly, because people will pay you to. And secondly, because the slain beasts will provide you with trophies from which to craft unique items. Let’s delve into the details!

The Taxidermist
Battle Brothers had crafting events for a long time – things like a tailor being able to craft unique armor from the pelts dropped by Direwolves. This was fine before, because those events were primarily supposed to just add flavor to particular backgrounds. However, if we’re going to have crafting as a full gameplay mechanic, the game needs to have a more reliable way for you to craft what you want to and when. We’re keeping some of the crafting events for flavor, but for most things we’re introducing an entirely new crafting system.

The way it works is this: Every beastly opponent comes with a couple of new trophy items, and which one you can proudly claim upon slaying them is randomized. Existing beasts like the Direwolf, Nachzehrer and Lindwurm also receive a loot overhaul if you have the ‘Beasts & Exploration’ DLC installed. These trophies can then be taken to a new building found in settlements across the world: The taxidermist. No worries, you’ll have a bit more room in your inventory so that things don’t get too crowded with all the new loot while you’re on your way there.

For a price, the taxidermist is able to create all kinds of new items that suitably reflect your achievements in big game hunting from the trophies that you bring him – charms, cloaks, armor plating, armor for your wardogs, shields, antidotes, drugs, and more. At first, you’ll only see a list of things for which you have all the necessary components to craft in your inventory, so you should drop by every now and then with your new trophies to see what can be done with them. Once you’ve crafted an item, however, you’ll always see its ‘recipe’ and all the necessary components, missing or not, so you’ll know exactly what you need to get in order to craft another one.

taxidermist-ui2.jpg

Fighting beasts is about to become much more rewarding, which in turn means more variety in the battles that you should pick, even in the early game. Of course, the more powerful the item to craft, the more and the more rare trophies you’ll need to provide. And here we first touch upon the exploration aspect of the ‘Beasts & Exploration’ DLC; even though some of the new beasts will be quite common, the most valuable trophies will be found only by defeating the strongest of beasts, lurking in the wilderness far away from civilization. If you want to get the ultimate hunting trophies, you’ll have to venture out and explore the unknown corners of the world!

Armor Customization
So what’s so great about these items that you can craft? Well, one of the major new things that the taxidermist can create for you are attachments with which to customize your armor.

unhold_wide.jpg

What says ‘I myself bested a giant beast of the frozen wastes’ better than donning its fur as a cloak for everyone to see? You’ve seen the Unhold with its white fur. Go and collect that fur as a trophy, bring it to the taxidermist and have him craft you a cloak out of it. This cloak can then be permanently attached to any armor of your choosing. Not only will it make you look like a veteran mercenary badass, each armor attachment also gives a particular benefit – for example, a fur cloak may make the wearer more impervious to ranged attacks, while replacement padding spun out of a certain creature’s silk may make an armor lighter. It means new choices for a mercenary commander, because a single armor can only be adorned with a single attachment.

Not all armor attachments need to be crafted. We’re also adding a couple of more common ones made out of metal and leather which you’ll be able to buy in shops and loot from places across the world. Those add additional protection and weight to any armor they’re attached to, but generally at a better ratio than using straight-up heavier armor. Also, they allow for more visual customization of your men, which is always nice.

common-upgrades2-1024x686.jpg
That looks really good. Especially customizing how armor look.
Anyway seriously its look like real deal not some cheap DLC. It can mean only one
The Kraut Returns! or maybe The Return of the Krauts!
Hope the old crafted items get similar treatment(not need to rely on RNG events) but not expecting that - DLC must sell.

ALL BOARD THE HYPE TRAIN!!!

Last edited:

Barbarian

Arcane
Sweet. I specially like the part about crafting more powerful dog armor. Those mutts die too easily in late game and lose most of their value.

For a price, the taxidermist is able to create all kinds of new items that suitably reflect your achievements in big game hunting from the trophies that you bring him – charms, cloaks, armor plating, armor for your wardogs, shields, antidotes, drugs, and more.

I still would love dogs to be more upgradable(at least 1-3 levels? Maybe permanent injuries for balance?), but I understand that will probably not be implemented. I grew up seeing my granduncle use dogs for hunting boar and his older and favorite hounds were always better and more efficient at it., so is there is certainly a basis in the real world.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Kind of wish there was more than one upgrade slot for armor, but this is looking an awful lot better than "game finished, won't be working on it anymore".

Glad they came to their senses, let's hope the rest of the playerbase is as interested as we are.

You poor bastard, you're going to have to spend another 5000 hours of your life on this game ;)

agris

Arcane
Patron
I don't know how they do it.

Anyone else notice that the taxidermist has.... LEGS?!

edit: a bit more of a serious reply, this vein of crafting and item upgrades is much more akin to the Cromwell-model from BG2 than the modern take on crafting, with a discrete UI panel and list of recipes and you just looting everything hoping that X > Y for your X/Y requirement to craft the win button consumable. I say good on them.

I don't quite know why, but the one exception to "modern crafting is crap" is Neo Scavenger. Perhaps it's how crafting is so integral to gameply - you need it to survive, or how hard-won some of the components feel. Regardless, BB sounds like it's doing crafting the right way.

Last edited:

Draugir101

Novice
rK3iD61.jpg

Is this a military unit or is this a brothel? Battle sistas confirmed.

I'm not really eager for battle sisters, but I can see the game world is longing for this. With me being able to recruit both horse and melon fuckers. At first I thought the melon event had replaced the old event with the horse fucker, but actually both are still in game.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Battle sisters (a company of fed up prostitutes, bar girls, orphans, nuns, disgraced/adulterous/barren noblewomen, runaway noble daughters, escaped slaves or even escaped orc cattle basically etc) could totally work as a super-hard mode or self-imposed challenge. Course they'd have to have crappier stats than the average male recruit and the band should get some sort of diplomatic skills for the leader lady to get work at all from the nobles and such.
Could also earn some coin in unsavory ways ;)
That would get the devs so much hate from the gaming press and retardera, though.

Otherwise I don't necessarily mind having a rare battle sister here or there tbh. A witch (a young one, please) or a vampire girl (who gets shriveled up the more damage she takes like the necrosavants) or something might work to off-set the weaker physical stats, or an undead priestess of the empire or some such, maybe the Emperor's concubine lady kept her mind more or less intact or so. As a secret char you can get if you follow an empire-related quest line. Say, gotta have the Emperor's armor or something to trigger it.

I'm sure there's ways of making this work if one really wants to. Then again, they might go against the "no supernatural stuff for the party, only the enemies" thing... But then, a certain armor and helmet and some trinkets already do that.
Could also have cool party interactions with other backgrounds (witch hunters, crusader guy and such, cultists).

But proper new content and core loop stuff should come first instead of a possibly cool gimmick like this.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Otherwise I don't necessarily mind having a rare battle sister here or there tbh. A witch (a young one, please) or a vampire girl (who gets shriveled up the more damage she takes like the necrosavants) or something might work to off-set the weaker physical stats, or an undead priestess of the empire or some such, maybe the Emperor's concubine lady kept her mind more or less intact or so. As a secret char you can get if you follow an empire-related quest line. Say, gotta have the Emperor's armor or something to trigger it.
Nah. The only battle sister i can see in ranks is big mama bear, not some pretty little flower.

34scell

Augur
Just have female portraits with male haircuts and names, and a "strangely effeminate" trait. That way you don't have to change the massive amount of event text.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Nah. The only battle sister i can see in ranks is big mama bear, not some pretty little flower.
I don't think a skeleton or a withered necrosavant really require as pretty little flowers though.
But yeah. Local butcher lady wants some Orc meat and decides to tag along? Why not.
+10 melee skill with cleavers, does not expend additional fatigue with orc weapons or something, can turn enemies into mystery meat post-battle ;)

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Nah. I am cool with no ladies in company. It fit.
There is mod that add female faces/bodies and that you can use barber to switch it but names/backgrounds stay the same. I think it would be not hard to implement as some backgrounds are already limited to some body types(or tattoos) but it could be time consuming as you need revisit/or write all new events that affect them.
Overall I don't care. if I want babes doing battle stuff I play x-piratez.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Nah. I am cool with no ladies in company. It fit.
There is mod that add female faces/bodies and that you can use barber to switch it but names/backgrounds stay the same. I think it would be not hard to implement as some backgrounds are already limited to some body types(or tattoos) but it could be time consuming as you need revisit/or write all new events that affect them.
Overall I don't care. if I want babes doing battle stuff I play x-piratez.
Definitely not worth doing work on this over the more important stuff.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Dev Blog #104: The Schrat
Hostile plant life makes its entry into the world of Battle Brothers in this week’s edition of our dev blog for the upcoming ‘Beasts & Exploration’ DLC. Get your axes ready!

The Schrat
The Waldschrat, or Schrat for short, is a fabled living tree found in the most remote forests of the world. A creature of bark and wood, it resembles no other, and its mind is truly alien. It blends between trees and shambles slowly, its roots digging through the soil. A frightening night time story tells of how trees watered with the blood of the unjustly killed turn into twisted living trees, out to strangle and choke the life out of children that don’t behave.

A Schrat can grow limbs at a whim, and so they grow and regrowth what resembles a wooden shield to protect their more vulnerable parts. While this shield is up, they’ll be much harder to hit and damage. The shield can be destroyed like any other with the ‘Split Shield’ skill, and doing so will reveal the Schrat’s much softer innards; although Schrats can be destroyed either way, they’ll take significantly more damage without the shield’s protection. In a surprising twist, then, axes are particularly useful against trees.

A Schrat attacks by slamming its thorned roots up from below ground, knocking up and impaling whatever is above ground. It’s an area of effect attack that always hits three tiles in a straight line, starting from the tile the Schrat sits on and going outwards along how their roots grew. Anyone hit will receive the ‘Staggered’ status effect – they’ll be off-balance, scrambling and late to act for their next turn. The Schrat has the potential to inflict a lot of damage when hitting three targets with a single attack, but they’re much less dangerous if you use smart positioning and work around their limitation of only being able to hit multiple targets if they’re in a straight line from it.

If a Schrat takes sufficient damage from a single blow to sever a large enough part of them, it will spawn a Sapling upon hitting the ground. They’re miniature Schrats that are much weaker, at least until they’re fully grown in a hundred years or so, but they can still whittle your men down. It’s a trade-off then; fight Schrats with heavy weaponry and they’ll die quicker, but you’ll also have to fight Saplings. Fight with light weaponry, and it’ll take longer to beat down a Schrat, but you won’t have to fight Saplings as well.
Hm.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hmm well, how long will it take them to introduce some "magic" or unnatural things to the brothers themselves as well. It should already be the case if you can craft magical items with the new crafting system, or at least items that would somehow increase the stats of your mercs?

Would you be against it?

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Nah, no magic for Bros.

In general, I think they have to be careful not to become too 'gimmicky'. The sword with the jumping attack, stat bonuses for armor ornaments - fine, but I hope they keep BB grounded in 'reality'.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom