Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Battle Brothers - Beasts & Exploration DLC Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Battle Brothers; Battle Brothers - Beasts & Exploration; Overhype Studios

Shortly after Battle Brothers was released last year, developer Overhype Studios announced that they were ending development on the game and moving on to new things, much to the frustration of fans who felt that there was much left to expand upon. The free Lindwurm DLC they released later that year was small consolation, but it may have been a clue to what was coming. The Beasts & Exploration expansion released today delivers pretty much what it says on the tin. In the four months since it was announced, Overhype have published weekly development updates introducing the myriad of new features it adds to the game. That includes numerous new enemy types such as giant spiders, witches and the mighty kraken, as well as a variety of new items, new mechanics and new scripted events. Overhype have helpfully provided links to all of those updates here. There's no launch trailer for Beasts & Exploration, so I'll just post its store page description:

The 'Beasts & Exploration' DLC for Battle Brothers expands the game with a larger world, full of unique hidden locations throughout that offer new possibilities and rewards to the daring adventurer, as well as challenging new beasts roaming the untamed wilds. Craft your own gear from trophies you collect, customize your equipment with a new system for armor attachments, and engage in profitable beast hunting and exploration!

Features
  • Legendary Locations - Hidden legendary locations offer new possibilities, lore, unique opponents, and unique rewards for the daring adventurer in a world that is 25% larger.
  • New Opponents - Five challenging new beasts populate different parts of the wilds, and three fearsome bosses guard valuable treasure. All of them come with unique mechanics and loot.
  • Crafting - Trophies from slain beasts can now be crafted into cloaks, armor plating, armor for your wardogs, shields, potions and other items to customize the look of your hardened mercenaries and benefit them in combat.
  • Customize your Gear - Wear cloaks, shoulderguards and more for additional benefits with the new armor attachment system, and use the new paint items to paint shields and helmets in the colors of your company.
  • New Weapons and Armor - A collection of new weapons and armors allow for new play styles and character builds.
  • New Contracts, Events and Ambitions - Engage in profitable beast hunting and exploration. Immerse yourself in leading a mercenary company with even more illustrated events.
  • New Music - Two new music tracks accompany you on your adventures.
  • New Achievements - Challenge yourself with new achievements.
The Beasts & Exploration DLC for Battle Brothers is available now at Steam and GOG for just $10. Alongside it comes the version 1.2 update for the base game, which you can read about here. Hopefully this will be the first of many DLCs, although realistically I wonder how much longer they can keep working on this one game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unwanted

SlumLord

Unwanted
Edgy
So hyped for this!

Anyone playing it yet? How's the new content?

Infinitron
Hopefully this will be the first of many DLCs, although realistically I wonder how much longer they can keep working on this one game.
They were ready to move from BB onto a sci-fi game, but the outroar from the Steam discussion boards made them reconsidered. Hopefully the DLC will sell well and prompt another one, but I think the krauts making the game are fed up with it. I used to lurk the Overhype forums, and the devs were really unhappy how badly people took them 'forsaking' BB to work on something new.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
So hyped for this!

Infinitron
Hopefully this will be the first of many DLCs, although realistically I wonder how much longer they can keep working on this one game.
They were ready to move from BB onto a sci-fi game, but the outroar from the Steam discussion boards made them reconsidered. Hopefully the DLC will sell well and prompt another one, but I think the krauts making the game are fed up with it. I used to lurk the Overhype forums, and the devs were really unhappy how badly people took them 'forsaking' BB to work on something new.

People are posting their impressions in this thread (may have to go back a page or two for the first ones): https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...w-with-beasts-exploration-dlc.114394/page-140

i like Battle Brothers, I'm interested in this, but I think I'll wait to read some feedback here to know it what they are adding is worth the price.

EDIT - in other words: please comment on this if you are already playing it.
I need to know if the new content is good enough.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i like Battle Brothers, I'm interested in this, but I think I'll wait to read some feedback here to know it what they are adding is worth the price.

EDIT - in other words: please comment on this if you are already playing it.
I need to know if the new content is good enough.
Go to the thread that was linked in here and you'll get much more feedback.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I still haven't played the base game, though I've had it since I first saw it at 50% off. I'll now start it together with the DLC. $10 is a great price for what I see is on offer.

Zeriel

Arcane
So hyped for this!

Infinitron

Wasn't Battle Brothers originally billed as early access with lots more to come? I mean I sympathize with them wanting to move on, but at the same time what was released feels like a stub of a game. If it hadn't been an EA game I would just chalk that up to them having a narrow design scope, but there's plenty of features they left in the game that do absolutely nothing and clearly weren't meant to be that way (hello, reputation...).

Unwanted

SlumLord

Unwanted
Edgy
Wasn't Battle Brothers originally billed as early access with lots more to come? I mean I sympathize with them wanting to move on, but at the same time what was released feels like a stub of a game. If it hadn't been an EA game I would just chalk that up to them having a narrow design scope, but there's plenty of features they left in the game that do absolutely nothing and clearly weren't meant to be that way (hello, reputation...).
You're right... to a certain point. A lot of the stuff that was promised ended up included, while some of it they discarded for gameplay/engine reasons (like having obstacles on combat maps... houses, palisades, etc.).

But there was a huge furor when they completed the game and announced they're working on a new project. So they made the Lindwurm DLC... and now, obviously, the expansion pack.

I hope it does well enough for them to consider another large content expansion. I got all my friends playing it, and most said they'd purchase additional content if it was made available.

BB is one of those games with a years'-long tail, mostly due to its painted aesthetics but also the fun combat.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I got killed by 3 sleep-monsters, allegedly a two-skull encounter. How are we supposed to beat them, and what stat resists the sleep effect? Resolve?

I guess we are supposed to just spread out as widely as possible, it seems the sleep effect is an area of effect attack. Then just rush them in the hopes that they are bad at hand to hand combat. I never reached them, though.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
First 6 hours impressions - this is an instant classic. And finally, after lots of time spent playing someone's attempts at storytelling, I'm finally playing a game. No overarching plots, no "deep character interactions".

Once again proven - when you have a good core idea, a shoestring budget helps you produce the best kind game, because you can't afford to go into feature bloat. I've seen the same with AoD and Underrail already.

Edit: BTW, whose alt was SlumLord in the end? :lol:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I got killed by 3 sleep-monsters, allegedly a two-skull encounter. How are we supposed to beat them, and what stat resists the sleep effect? Resolve?

I guess we are supposed to just spread out as widely as possible, it seems the sleep effect is an area of effect attack. Then just rush them in the hopes that they are bad at hand to hand combat. I never reached them, though.
More or less you describe it well. Seems that their sleep is a "splash damage" attack, meaning it hits a target and its adjacent tiles. So basically split your team into as many groups as the Alps, keep a tile of space between bros and constantly wake up sleeping ones while you make your way to the Alps. That worked for me so far

Deleted Member 22431

That too, but you need to keep one merc close to the group under the spell to wake them up. I think you waste 4 APs doing that. You need to select the eyes open icon in your actions.

Deleted Member 22431

I'm having a blast with the game, but the economy in veteran is completely unfair.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer

They are pretty easy (or at least manageable) once you know what to expect. Spread your men (but not too widely) and hunt them down. You can handle the witches the same way.

I'm having a blast with the game, but the economy in veteran is completely unfair.
What's unfair about it? Once you start hunting bigger game (orcs, undead, and raiders) you'll make a lot of money selling weapons and earn 2-3k per contract. My highest character (in the expansion) is level 8 and I have 21k after buying the standard, increasing inventory (5k) and spending 6k on better armor.

hivemind

Hahahahahahahaha How The Fuck Are Alps Difficult Hahahaha Nigga Just Wake Up Your Units Like Nigga Open Your Eyes Haha

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hahahahahahahaha How The Fuck Are Alps Difficult Hahahaha Nigga Just Wake Up Your Units Like Nigga Open Your Eyes Haha

Yes, they're not difficult at all. But they are tedious. It's not like the strategy for dealing with them is varied and interesting. Strip everyone of armour, bring dogs and fan out one space apart. I just beat a 3 skull Alps fight with a very middle of the road band and got almost 2K for it when most of my contracts up to now have been 500-800. You just have to move your men apart before they get to go and don't get impatient.

Not fought hexers yet, but if they're the same I'll not be looking forward to it. Compared to the much more varied humanoid fights, this sort of combat is a bit of a turn off.

Deleted Member 22431

What's unfair about it? Once you start hunting bigger game (orcs, undead, and raiders) you'll make a lot of money selling weapons and earn 2-3k per contract. My highest character (in the expansion) is level 8 and I have 21k after buying the standard, increasing inventory (5k) and spending 6k on better armor.
I spread my resources too quick by expanding my team too early. I was used to the early access game (had more than 200hs of gameplay), but the game was balanced since then.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They can get you if you dont know what they are and you pass the first turn.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

They are pretty easy (or at least manageable) once you know what to expect. Spread your men (but not too widely) and hunt them down. You can handle the witches the same way.

You are playing on Ironman?

Also, what you think about Ironman in your new space generation game?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Also, what you think about Ironman in your new space generation game?
I think that ironman works best when you can play it safe and manage risks. In BB you can turn down contracts, avoid dangerous roaming bands, back off once you see the inhabitants of some fort or crypt, etc. At the same time there is plenty of endlessly generated content that matches your level, so you can take your time leveling up and acquiring better gear. Our design is different so I don't think ironman would be an enjoyable way to play Colony Ship. It's easy to add it but we don't want to frustrate the player more than we absolutely have to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom