Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Parabalus

Arcane
Then again, with the magic water thingie you find (cures everything bad, even old) you can now always allow yerself the luxury of having one swordmaster (who'll teach other bros of specific background - nobles, squires and apprentices iirc and at some point decide that he need to be paid half of what he's paid because he's old now (even though he aint anymore, after the magic water thingie)

UPD: Also, dont let yourself be deceived by that table. A highly talented cultist with good basic stats will most likely end up a better warrior than an averagely-talented sellsword or a hedge knight. Talented brawlers have been my go to background as of late. Dont know about exact boni, but lumberjacks arent half bad either.

Is the magic water thingie guaranteed to spawn on every seed?

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Bastards, Raiders, Nobles and Retired Soldiers often have a glaring weakness you'll never really can get rid of. Be it Resolve, HP or Fatigue.

Most of my Company is composed of Wildmen and Lumberjacks. A more even distribution of talents, making it possible to reach my minimum stat requirements without having to pump one attribute every level, even if I get better rolls on others. Overall cheaper too.

(I used the magic water on my starting Archer Bro, wich cured the 10% max Fatigue penalty, but didn't give him back his nose...)

vazha

Arcane
Even magic water thingie's are no match for the most mundane medical procedures in this shitty world of ours. That's why technology >magic.

Unwanted

Soulstones

Unwanted
What kind of mundane medical procedures regrow noses nowadays...?

Are Wildmen really that good? I sense fake news... 68 avr HP on level 1 and 117 fat?

How did the Upkeep change compared to the base game? Wasnt it always base*1.1^level ?

Googled for something, stumbled upon the StEaM forums...
W3Ti1Py.png

Sadly, archer only go for 95 ...............................................................................................-----

vazha

Arcane

Are Wildmen really that good? I sense fake news... 68 avr HP on level 1 and 117 fat?

How did the Upkeep change compared to the base game? Wasnt it always base*1.1^level ?

W3Ti1Py.png
Just ask michael jackson on that nose thing. Oh WAI~

Regarding wildmen, yep, they're that good. According to wiki:
+10 Resolve
+10 Hitpoints
+20 Max. Fatigue
-15% Experience gain

-5 Ranged Defence

-5 Melee Defence

But have a defence malus which can be huge. If you've got a starred wildmen with base ranged defense above 0, take him. 20 max fatique is brutal on anyone who's specializing in AoE's, i.e. zweihanders, big hammers, polearms etc.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Meh. Looks cheap and generic. And 'Shieldwall Chronicles' is a really dumb name.

At least we can tell people who insist on infesting BB with high fantasy nonsense 'Go play Shieldwall Chronicles, you doofus'.

vazha

Arcane
So gentlemen if any of you were harboring hopes of creating an invulnerable two hander dude with an undead necklace and untouched base resolve, I ve got bad news:

just had my genius of a bastard bro (3 stars in both melee atk and defense, base melee was freaking 67 and 88 at lvl 6) literally faint upon seeing an ork berserker charge and injure the bro next to him (yes, not even himself). He had the breaking morale which didnt help him when he missed his attack on now raging berz and got his head cut off next turn. I thought he d be sturdy enough, so rotated the injured bro instead.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
So gentlemen if any of you were harboring hopes of creating an invulnerable two hander dude with an undead necklace and untouched base resove, I ve got nad news:

just had my genius of a bastard bro (3 stars in noth melee atk and defense, base melee was freaking 67 and 88 at lvl 6) literally faint upon seeing an ork berserker charge and injure the bro next to him (yes, not even himself). He had the breaking morale which didnt help him when he missed his attack on now raging berz and got his head cut off next turn. I thought he d be sturdy enough, so rotated the injured bro instead.

Resolve really is the killer stat. If your resolve keeps you on a higher morale tier the 10% on all stats you'd lose otherwise is worth it alone.

Usually I aimed for 50-60 ish + 100 Resolve sergeant, might be better to go even higher. Hard to model though.

W3Ti1Py.png
Just ask michael jackson on that nose thing. Oh WAI~

Regarding wildmen, yep, they're that good. According to wiki:
+10 Resolve
+10 Hitpoints
+20 Max. Fatigue
-15% Experience gain

-5 Ranged Defence

-5 Melee Defence

But have a defence malus which can be huge. If you've got a starred wildmen with base ranged defense above 0, take him. 20 max fatique is brutal on anyone who's specializing in AoE's, i.e. zweihanders, big hammers, polearms etc.

Until they fix (nerf) nimble I think you can safely dump/ignore RD if you go that way. You can tank 10-15 arrows since outside of master archers they do 10-15 damage to you.

I've even been thinking that it might be possible to just drop RD from your archers completely, with the new nimble they're much tankier, and they might not even get shot at with a negative RD nimble frontline.

Might test it out when I finally find the kraken, I'm beginning to suspect my map is broken.

jungl

Augur
So gentlemen if any of you were harboring hopes of creating an invulnerable two hander dude with an undead necklace and untouched base resove, I ve got nad news:

just had my genius of a bastard bro (3 stars in noth melee atk and defense, base melee was freaking 67 and 88 at lvl 6) literally faint upon seeing an ork berserker charge and injure the bro next to him (yes, not even himself). He had the breaking morale which didnt help him when he missed his attack on now raging berz and got his head cut off next turn. I thought he d be sturdy enough, so rotated the injured bro instead.

Its bullshit how much resolve affects a bros performance in this game. Any late game fight they start crying before they even get hit. Its unrealistic tbh. A pussy but very knowledgeable fighter is not going to turn in a shit fighter when they get scared. They are going to being very calculated with their striking and defense. It makes more sense for them to get fatigued faster. Though someone without any skills get scared they dead meat.

vazha

Arcane
Until they fix (nerf) nimble I think you can safely dump/ignore RD if you go that way. You can tank 10-15 arrows since outside of master archers they do 10-15 damage to you.

I've even been thinking that it might be possible to just drop RD from your archers completely, with the new nimble they're much tankier, and they might not even get shot at with a negative RD nimble frontline.

Might test it out when I finally find the kraken, I'm beginning to suspect my map is broken.

Ugh, I dont use nimble for the reasons you've listed above. For the same reason I tend to avoid hexen and alps until high lvls. When shit is broken, better not touch it.

Murk

Arcane
Huh, I rarely ever have resolve issues except for new bros I'm making or if they get targeted by multiple Geists. I often indom tank the first few hits though and there is a damage threshold for when your morale is checked.

I do always bring banner-sergeant in though, often he is sub-optimal fighter but good resolve/support (has bandages, rotate, nets, etc.)

He's kind of like a field medic + support while the rest are there to smash and/or bash.

Unwanted

Soulstones

Unwanted
With Resolve one ought to know what the actual checks are, simply d100 vs resolve, 100-resolve? On 15hp dmg, on contact, on friendlies breaking/dying? So that one can actually guesstimate if its worth it to push into 50s. Like I know that 30s start wavering on contact so I push my mercs into 45 and consider it passable but they do start wavering if I fuck up in certain places in a frontline... Or if the AI suddenly goes all smarty pants and decides to focus down someone...

Turned a 105 resolve sarge, doesnt seem like its just (100 - resolve), must be their ranged skill vs resolve but not dropping below 5%
mhEeWyw.png

I reloaded a 1700 coin, 2 skulls, hexen contract a couple of times

There are a couple variation to them, which makes the weapon loadout such a pain.

5 Hexen without guards is a fairy easy fight
- start unarmed but with shield, sword in backpack
- keep 2 tiles distance between your brehs if you can, especially the sarge
- use shield push liberally and hide weaps if they got pulled when charmed
- pay attention to turn order, 4 charmed attacks can be turned into 1 or none with good distance and proper pushing
- no dogs, except in extreme situations
They lose the fatigue fight, at some point, they fail to hex and charm in the same turn and fail charms as well
Your mercs being fatigued actually often helps you if you keep distance
Its not really easy though, before I got to the first hexe at some point the numbers were showing a 5 vs 12 fight in their favor...
YpE1p2A.jpg

Hexen target selection is kinda random like the rest of the enemy AI.

1 Hexe and 9 Nachtzehrer including 2 swallowers - bad, barely can afford a runner to the hexe
1 Hexe and 9 Woofers, 2 or 3 rabid - eh
2 Hexen 2 Unholds, horrible... maybe go full tier 2 mace for that 10 fat per hit play and stunlock the unholds

Tigranes

Arcane
Wait wait wait wait

How do the holy waters actually work? I picked up 3 of them earlyish and I haven't used them yet. Do they cure all injuries?

I'm saving up to gamble on either a hedge knight or swordmaster, both being available at the moment, to join my gang of beggars, eunuchs and butchers

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Wait wait wait wait

How do the holy waters actually work? I picked up 3 of them earlyish and I haven't used them yet. Do they cure all injuries?

I'm saving up to gamble on either a hedge knight or swordmaster, both being available at the moment, to join my gang of beggars, eunuchs and butchers
There is one 'Strange Water' (forgot the name) you'll get from an event in a legendary location. That's the only one you get, but it heals permanent injuries (just the stats penalty at the moment, Bros missing body parts still look the same after drinking.)

'Holy Water' is a 'Grenade' against undead, you can get 3 from another legendary location and your monk makes some in a random event.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
OK, that makes a lot more sense. That's probably why I put away the holy water and mostly forgot about it.

Having broken the 100 day mark, The Papists are going strong. Each bro that makes it to level 2 is granted a name of the Pope, and we are now up to, that's right, MILTIADES the 32nd. Presumably there's one bro that learnt how to read and the only book he has is a historical record of the Vatican or something.

At this stage, the number one thing I find I'm looking for in new bros is fatigue. If I can get 100+ fatigue on a low-tier cheap bro, then I can put enough metal on them for them to last the first few fights, and with training, get up to speed.

vazha

Arcane
Yep, fatique and resolve both are key. nothing beats 6 consecutive warscythe sweeps with your three backrow bros. I had a bloodthirsty lumberjack decapitate three orc young with one fell sweep, as they say. Heads flying everywhere.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Ok, I just got beaten badly by the Black Monolith Crew. Twice. Didn't even get them below fifteen.

I had 6 Greatsword, 2 two-handed Hammer, 1 two-handed Mace, 2 Hammer + Shield and the Sarge with Banner (and throwing axes). All level 11-14 with great armor - only 3 unique weapons though. Possibly should have taken some anti-shield spears.

That would have been enough to at least beat the Monolith pre DLC, athough with some losses maybe.

What are your BM experiences past DLC?

Vilain Joueur

Novice
Ok, I just got beaten badly by the Black Monolith Crew. Twice. Didn't even get them below fifteen.

I had 6 Greatsword, 2 two-handed Hammer, 1 two-handed Mace, 2 Hammer + Shield and the Sarge with Banner (and throwing axes). All level 11-14 with great armor - only 3 unique weapons though. Possibly should have taken some anti-shield spears.

That would have been enough to at least beat the Monolith pre DLC, athough with some losses maybe.

I did it on day 180 or so. I thought it was about the same. I used more or less the same composition as you. I had 2 Archers though. They killed the Necrosavants and stacked Overwhelms on Legionaries and Guards.
Consumables helped a lot:
  • Holy Water
  • Second Wind Potion
  • Strange Mushrooms
I saw an opening to kill a Priest in the first turn so I send a character north but he started fleeing on the next turn and died after a few turns. He bought some time though so it wasn't in vain.
I also lost a Companion to the new boss.

It's very important to position well at the start so that you can avoid being locked by the Shieldbearers. If you get a good start the fight gets easier.

tindrli

Arcane

im not geting even close to that thing.. day 200+ grinding colecting everything

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom