Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Really disappointing, still no transition to end game, no feudal system, no titles no semi large scale battles, no faction warfare.
Meh.
Wait.
Are you really expecting this to happen?
Lets laugh at this naive fellow.

Zariusz

Arbiter
Retired drill sergeants should scale to you retired bros. Stronger bro, stronger drill sergeant (with this we can have hard decision, retire your hard worked bro for future gains)etc. They should also count only if bro was long enough with your comapny. With this we can awoid cheesing with perma injury on some 2 day weaklings.
Imagine camp night events and recalling old friends and battles, kinda like this event when some bro who was in your company for a long time, talks to you how he is sad because since his beginnigs so many friends died.

EDIT: And rebuilding a company origin should have drill sergeant from the start (with unique artwork), because YOU, as veteran crippled with arrow wound, are perfect for this role and this would give this origin even bigger tutorial role.

Last edited:

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
Farming for a perma-injury is a bit weird though.

Why can't we hire 'Retired Soldiers' or 'Swordmasters' for the role?
they probably got something written up for events involving the guy and all the context involves the guy having scars from being involved with the company?

Murk

Arcane
Sounds like a potentially major change. You'd expect them to create lots of new scripted events that interact with these retinue characters.

Man, when you play Lone Wolf origin, events dont recognise your main character as your avatar, but as a normal bro. So you have retarded situations like talking to yourself.
If they did not edit events for lone wolf origin so long after WoTN they could do the same for this new dlc. I still hope that they add more events.

I was LARPing as a paranoid schizophrenic tbh so that worked out well for me.

Emily

Arcane
Really disappointing, still no transition to end game, no feudal system, no titles no semi large scale battles, no faction warfare.
Meh.
Wait.
Are you really expecting this to happen?
Lets laugh at this naive fellow.
You are right it will prob never happen but i guess one can hope.

It just feels so barren that the game play loop never changes from the first time you start it up, other than maybe hunting for legendary artifacts, but that feels like a tackled gamey goal rather than something you would ever really do.

I got my moneys worth from the base game and its a good play for 30-50 hours, everything past that feels ridiculously shallow and uninspired.

Would you really have a rag tag band of 12 hobos while rolling in money and what not 50 hours into the game and 3 years+ in game time? Probably not.

There was so much more potential with this game to be basically turn based mount and blade, but they took it in opposite direction.

Tigranes

Arcane
That's for BB2, if that ever happens.

I don't think Drill should be 100/200%, but I would want the bonus to be modifiable a little. Maybe it should depend on the quality of the crippled bro you retire - depending on his level it can just be a flat 10%, or add on, say, an extra x% for lower level bros, etc.

Harthwain

Magister
It just feels so barren that the game play loop never changes from the first time you start it up, other than maybe hunting for legendary artifacts, but that feels like a tackled gamey goal rather than something you would ever really do. [...] There was so much more potential with this game to be basically turn based mount and blade, but they took it in opposite direction.
Battle Brothers never wanted to be another Mount and Blade. I mean, it says what it is right there on the can:

Battle Brothers is a turn based tactical RPG which has you leading a mercenary company in a gritty, low-power, medieval fantasy world. You decide where to go, whom to hire or to fight, what contracts to take and how to train and equip your men in a procedurally generated open world campaign.

Murk

Arcane
Or anyone with the "old" tag for that matter; though perhaps that can be added in.

IMO it should be someone who has gotten to a certain level.

I'd do like 2 break points.

Level 6 = 10% or whatever is normal
Maxed out normal levels = 30% or something akin to that.

Murk

Arcane
"Freshly Ejaculated" perk into battle; makes you more resistant to Hexe's charm.

Barbarian

Arcane
As long as camp followers work somewhat like regular recruits with events and in-game appearance it will be very cool. Only exception would be that they would not participate in battles of course.

If they do work like it seems(glorified "item" purchase that gives static bonuses), not so much.

oscar

Arcane
The sargent being a grizzled outsider from a disassembled once-famous mercenary outfit would make more sense than that level 1 tailor who lost a finger suddenly turning into Gunnery Sgt. Hartman after a 5k cash injection.

Barbarian

Arcane
Yeah, the idea of making the drill sergeant a former bro from your company seems like it could be an unnecessary complication(i.e: bugs and shenanigans like having a level 2 beggar taking the position). It is cool in principle if it works and if it is restricted to certain backgrounds though(i.e: retired soldier and swordmaster).

Much easier to have a character with a specific backstory being hirable though.

Tigranes

Arcane
It really should be tied to your stats. I do like the "permanent injury bro -> sergeant" thing for RP, not a big deal if some people will just gamify it and get their bros crippled. Surely there's a level req so the bro must be at least, say, lv5?

Maybe the number of kills that they had accrued, or their XP/level, at the point of retirement, should determine the bonus. It would even be amazing if there were different kinds of sergeants you could become with different bonuses, each of which are gated by those previous accomplishments, differentiating between a high leadership character, a long-serving many kills character, etc.

Harthwain

Magister
The sargent being a grizzled outsider from a disassembled once-famous mercenary outfit would make more sense than that level 1 tailor who lost a finger suddenly turning into Gunnery Sgt. Hartman after a 5k cash injection.
I doubt the requirement means it's your former brother whom you're re-hiring. The requirement is most likely there in order to limit the availability of any given follower. The bonus he's giving seems to indicate that he's supposed to be unlocked early (5k is much bigger restriction that retiring someone with a permanent injury after all), so it sort of makes sense from the gameplay standpoint.

Reinhardt

Arcane
It's just friendly barter - you give other merc company your crippled beggar, they give you their. Both paymasters retire early slightly richer than before.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
They could just introduce a 'Retired' perk available to wounded bros after level 8 or something if they wanted the drill sergeant to be one of your men.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I guess having the followers use the same models as fighting bros wouldn't work because of "women and children", no way they are adding new randomized models just for that. Having them as town merchants that travel with you (which is how it looks like in the screen) is probably the right call. Still, the way of acquiring the drill sergeant is very awkward, you can use a level 3 beggar with an injury but not a level 10 retired soldier, appointing the drill sergeant should be done in the company window, with requirements something like at least level 8 and 50 resolve, the injury requirement sounds cool, but it's very awkward mechanically. You also lose whatever background and trait linked events you'd get from the brother that gets turned into the drill sergeant because technically he's left the company. Also the followers apparently only want money up-front and don't get paid and don't eat? The more I look at it, the less sense it makes.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I don't think you directly turn your cripple into drill sergeant. You just throw him into pile of cripples from all merc bands and then pick someone who crawls to the top.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom