Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Has anyone found named/legendary bows or crossbows? I've found plenty of melee weapons and armor, but never any legendary ranged weapons.

They're scarce, until you get a good ranged seed and you have too many of them, even had a Bow + 1 range with the Legends mod once but it was a buggy previous version and i had to stop that playthrough, so sad ...

The weirdest thing just happened. Right after posting that question yesterday, I went back and was playing some more, and the very next village I went to had a Fletcher and guess what they were selling? Legendary crossbow AND javelins.

I've been playing BB for about a year now, and not one super-ranged weapon until I asked the question here. I think that qualifies as a Codex miracle.

Ask the Codex, and you shall receive.

Modron

Arcane
Ihzq4IY.jpg

Is this shit worth trying to save up money for? I haven't seen any armors with 400 before now, and I seldom find any named equipment in the wild.
I mean technically that piece of armor is worth it if you have a surplus of money, it being 1 point more fatiguing while providing a 100 more armor than a Coat of Scales. Just be wary as named armor can often be a much worse ratio of fatigue cost to armor provided than unnamed, always do the math. It's rare for a named helmet to be worse ratio wise.

Murk

Arcane
I would prioritize weapons over armor, personally, since you can get by with even standard armor + add-ons where-as you can't just randomly upgrade weapons for more damage or what have you, and even famed/named weapons aren't guaranteed to do more damage.

Having said that, if you're far enough in the campaign, you'll be pulling thousands of gold per mission and even more per group killed (especially if they're orcs and drop their glorious weapons).

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
That's probably my biggest gripe with the items, finally finding a unique weapon only for it to have just increased durability or other such useless shit. More damage should be standard on those.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
The weirdest thing just happened. Right after posting that question yesterday, I went back and was playing some more, and the very next village I went to had a Fletcher and guess what they were selling? Legendary crossbow AND javelins.

I've been playing BB for about a year now, and not one super-ranged weapon until I asked the question here. I think that qualifies as a Codex miracle.

Ask the Codex, and you shall receive.

Got this baby yesterday for my Legends/Cultist run :

warbow.png

And soon after a Master archer champion dropped another named warbow, slightly weaker though.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DEV BLOG #128: THE RETINUE, PART II
Last week we introduced a new gameplay mechanic with a retinue of non-combat followers coming with the ‘Blazing Deserts’ DLC. This week we’re taking a closer look at a selection of three more of these non-combat followers in order to give you a better idea on how all this is going to work.

There’s a total of five slots available for you to fill, but several times as many followers available to choose from. Choosing the right set of followers for your company is another way to customize it to your playstyle and to make each company and playthrough feel more unique. Do keep in mind that everything you’re about to learn is still under development and therefore subject to change depending on how testing goes. This is doubly true for numbers, which is we’re not showing any of them this week. Onwards, then!

The Surgeon

A studied man from the south, the Surgeon is a walking tome of anatomical knowledge. A mercenary company seems the perfect place both to apply that knowledge in healing, but also to learn more about how the insides of men are made up.

With the Surgeon in your retinue, characters that fall in battle have a significantly improved chance to survive with a permanent injury instead of dying outright. A permanent injury can still end a career, of course, but it can just as well end up being but a reminder of a particularly hard-fought battle. The important point is that now it’s up to you and no one else to decide whether to let go of a character or keep them on the roster – which can be particularly helpful in the late game and with experienced and key characters. In addition, the Surgeon also looks after injuries of the non-permanent kind, and helps your men to recover from them faster, which reduces downtime.

The Scavenger

Whether the son of one of your men or an urchin you took pity on, the Scavenger pulls his weight by collecting bits and pieces from every battlefield.

With the Scavenger around, each armor destroyed will grant you a certain amount of tools and supplies after battle, the exact amount depending on what kind of armor it was. This makes the Scavenger a useful choice for heavily armored compositions that need a lot of tools and supplies for upkeep, but also for companies that destroy most enemy armors with hammers and so can’t loot those, but in this way still receive some loot anyway, and when fighting lots of Greenskins. The Scavenger also returns a part of all ammunition you spend during a battle, making ranged-heavy companies more self-sufficient, and the use of throwing weapons less expensive.

The Cartographer

The Cartographer is a man of culture and knowledge, but he also realizes that traveling in the company of well-armed mercenaries is one of the best ways to safely see the world and explore places that few visited before.

Available once you’ve found at least one legendary location, the Cartographer will pay you for each location that you discover out in the world on your own. The further away from civilization a location is, the more he’ll arrange for you to be paid. And legendary locations pay extra. The Cartographer is one example of several followers that further support specialized playstyles – if you’re more interested in heading out on your own terms, explore the world and raid locations rather than doing contracts, he’ll make this a more profitable venture. In a similar vein, there are other followers available that support playstyles like banditry, trade and hunting enemy champions for bounties and loot!

trimethylsilyl

Educated
I got the quest to raid a noble house's own location, but I fail the quest every time even though there's no survivors. How the fuck am I supposed to complete this quest? Is it purely RNG based?
pVOBU3q.jpg

trimethylsilyl

Educated
Yeah, I checked the wiki before posting here; I made sure that nobody ran away.
I ended up making a save before turning in the quest. After a reload, the quest completed successfully; so it turns out to be purely RNG based even though no one escapes. I guess the wiki is outdated or something.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
After many playthrough, i never had another alignment than neutral, so i never bothered with it.

Turns out it's quite fast to get to nice so i checked the wiki which says :

Your Reputation reflects how people in the world judge your mercenary company to conduct itself based on past actions. Do you show mercy to your enemies? Do you burn down farmsteads and massacre the peasantry? Based on your Reputation, people may offer you different kinds of contracts, and both contracts and events may play out differently.

Currently the only thing Reputation does is:

If you have a Reputation of 80 or higher, you will not get any Raze Attached Location Contracts offered.

Depending on the chosen Origin you start with a Reputation of 50.

Did something change that wasn't updated, anyone with infos ?
I'm trying to get the best reputation possible.

Vatnik Wumao
Dev Blog #129: City States, Part I

A major feature of the upcoming ‘Blazing Deserts’ DLC is an expanded south with several city states that have their own distinct culture, looks, services, contracts, and more, based loosely on medieval-era Arabian and Persian culture. Time to talk about it in detail!

The City States

The southern deserts. What is a barren wasteland now once was green and fruitful. An ancient empire ruled these lands long ago, but a cataclysmic event purged it from the face of the world along with their god-emperor, leaving but ruins and ashes. And from the ashes the belief in a new god arose, a powerful god manifest in the sun, the Gilder. And from the ruins new cities arose, the southern city states.

“Are these wastes? You see nothing but sand, air so hot it burns the lungs, ferine creatures malforming just to survive, and what of the man who strides here? Distilled to his essence. The north finds nobility between the empty chatter of their artifices. Here, nature is nobility, and under such auspices it is the strongest who rise, basking beneath the shine of the Gilder, and the weak who are burned beneath His sublimity. It is a measurement most peculiar, and one not often understood by interlopers.”

bbeb73207d24fd092e9cfbe2d7982b668d9b761f.jpg

The southern city states are magnificent cities now, easily as large as the largest cities found in the north. They dot the southern deserts where water is to be found, reigning over a precious resource in the otherwise dry and blazingly hot lands. Their streets are abuzz with traders offering their wares on busy bazaars. Trade with exotic spices and fabrics has made them rich, and their wealthy elite are patrons of the arts and sciences. Advancements in medicine, astrology and alchemy are unlike anything found in the north. But much of their economy was built on the back of slaves, and life is cheap here.

dec9bad1c3dda2ae66f333b1cd746e8581be5e98.jpg

The city states are not ruled by nobility, but by wealth. Ruling councils consist of Viziers, ministers each responsible for a different aspect of governing the state, elected from the rich bourgeois. So decadent and removed are they from the plight of the common man, that they regard everyone as tools used for their amusement. A mercenary captain could find plenty of work here - whether hunting down desert raiders or crushing slave rebellions - but they would also find disdain from their employers, who regard a mercenary as but a ‘Crownling’, a slave of a different kind, a slave to the coin.

af557b3df23eefba819352dbee76198670b8fbff.jpg

The southerners, who call themselves Gilded for their belief in their single god in whose shine they bask day in and out, are of darker complexion than northern folks. You’ll find many of the same professions here as in the north, but also some unique to their culture. For example, slaves can be bought on slave auctions and put to use even in a mercenary company. You pay for a slave once, but never pay them any wages, and the morale of southern backgrounds will not suffer should the slaves perish on the field of battle, for they are considered very much expendable here.

The Arena

You’ve already learned about the Alchemist, a trader that offers unique alchemical contraptions only found in the city states. Another building entirely unique to the south is the Arena.

While northerners will duel for honor, southerners do so for the entertainment of the masses, and not always willingly. Arena fights are to the death and in front of crowds that cheer for the most gruesome manner in which lives are dispatched. It is a different way to earn money with advantages and disadvantages over mercenary contracts.

1c966cdec19c465d969cef37510ae64110ff6e59.jpg

Unlike with mercenary contracts, in arena fights you’re limited to fight with but a few men of your choice against various opponents. Also unlike mercenary contracts, you’ll know exactly which and how many opponents you’re about to face - a certain number of beasts, slaves, captured desert raiders or professional gladiators, for example. There’s no lengthy travelling involved, nor ambushes along the road, and you’re paid well for victory in front of cheering spectators. However, you can’t retreat once a battle has started and you won’t be able to loot after the battle has ended. If your men survive long enough, fighting in the arena will earn them unique traits as they climb the ranks from pit fighter to champion of the arena. Naturally, there’s also a new Gladiator background to be hired in the city states.
Source: https://steamcommunity.com/games/365360/announcements/detail/1694981324149729169

BarbequeMasta

Learned
So will there be at least a new southeren based start to make it easier to check the new content? BB just keeps getting better and better it seems.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
They really learned that "abandoning" declaring the game finished wasn't the best idea and way to build and keep a community. And I'm glad that the expansions turned out economically viable for them.

Last edited:

PanteraNera

Arcane
While I am not to much into fantasy, I have to say that Battle Brothers turns out to be the best X-Com successor.
Can't wait for the next DLC.
My main gripe with them was that they cut non-combat-followers, so I am pretty excited they get finally in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom