Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Barbarian

Arcane
I wonder if the implemented crisis are going to have any interaction with this new dlc. I mean, will the orc/undead invasion also happen in the new map area(I assume the noble house war will off course not play out there)? Will the new southern settlements give out missions/contracts regarding them?

Murk

Arcane
What's the best way to go about getting super late game armor that's around the two to three hundred range? I'm at day 116, and I just beat the Orc invasion by killing the Warlord. Any ideas or goals I should set for myself next?

Aside from buying, it's to take it off people you kill.

Other mercenaries, noble houses troops, or if you want to take the suboptimal ratio -- undead heroes.

You'll want to surround them with dagger wielders and use the attack that bypasses armor to make sure the durability isn't damaged to increase chance of drop.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
What's the best way to go about getting super late game armor that's around the two to three hundred range? I'm at day 116, and I just beat the Orc invasion by killing the Warlord. Any ideas or goals I should set for myself next?

You'll want to surround them with dagger wielders and use the attack that bypasses armor to make sure the durability isn't damaged to increase chance of drop.

Which is one of the lamest part of the game, luckily, raiders start or the legends mods fix it.

Past day 100+ and the first crisis end, there's little point in going on in vanilla, besides hunting the few great beasts.

Legends fix it
- Mercs still get perks every 5 level after 11 (every 2 for the main(s) character(s)
- Bandits Warlords drop named items like candy (light/medium armor only, though)
- You get named items even at 0% durability
- New legendary beasts for each monster type
- Craft recipes from these monsters drops
- And the camping allowing to travel further without starving or being low on tools.

LizardWizard

Cipher
Is the Legends mod actually a good add?

If you're bored withvanilla 'meta' then yes.

I like the camp system and variety of different builds. You can easily break the game if you know what you're doing but I don't see that as a bad thing

Darth Canoli

Arcane

Cf. my previous message, the only drawback (according you don't play in legendary difficulty) is the semi-randomized perks so some mercs won't have some basic skills like pathfinding or berserk and even rest sometimes (but there is a lot of new perks to recover fatigue).

Early, when money is scarce, i just save/load to find a good fit, later, it doesn't really matter because legendary contracts solve money problems.

They also plan to add a feature to learn some skills, guessing only the low level ones but it would be great already, fixing the only issue left.

Zariusz

Arbiter
Yes, it has many awesome features (like layered armour system), more enemies, items etc. But i fear that in future this mod will get bloated and will lose this early/high medieval low fantasy atmosphere that i love in BB.

I mean it already had controversy with too much magic elements (but you can partly disable it during start menu), now it has plate armour (Plate armour in early/high medieval setting is like Ak47 in Napoleonic wars, i mean its cool but it doesnt fit. If you want, you can hear medieval nerds ranting about it on YT. On the other hand, BB devs are ignoring coherency themselves by adding muslim mirror armour from xv/xvi century in next DLC so...), possibly in future primitive guns- late medieval arqebuses (but that may be just submod), in my opinion this would make Battle Brothers world as coherent as typical weaboo fantasy (in one place you can meet barbarian in rags, plate armoured knight from xv century and aristocrat from xviii century).

And then there is a chance that they add "cool" shit like katanas, dual wielding, battle mages, normal mages, necromancers etc. I mean those thing are cool but let Battle Brothers be Battle Brothers and not some poor man's D&D.

Maybe im just bitching but besides that, yeah that is cool mod.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Yes, it has many awesome features (like layered armour system), more enemies, items etc. But i fear that in future this mod will get bloated and will lose this early/high medieval low fantasy atmosphere that i love in BB.

I mean it already had controversy with too much magic elements (but you can partly disable it during start menu), now it has plate armour (Plate armour in early/high medieval setting is like Ak47 in Napoleonic wars, i mean its cool but it doesnt fit. If you want, you can hear medieval nerds ranting about it on YT. On the other hand, BB devs are ignoring coherency themselves by adding muslim mirror armour from xv/xvi century in next DLC so...), possibly in future primitive guns- late medieval arqebuses (but that may be just submod), in my opinion this would make Battle Brothers world as coherent as typical weaboo fantasy (in one place you can meet barbarian in rags, plate armoured knight from xv century and aristocrat from xviii century).

And then there is a chance that they add "cool" shit like katanas, dual wielding, battle mages, normal mages, necromancers etc. I mean those thing are cool but let Battle Brothers be Battle Brothers and not some poor man's D&D.

Maybe im just bitching but besides that, yeah that is cool mod.

It's funny how i disagree with everything you said.

I always disable the layered armor thing, tried twice, the second time, i stopped around day 60 or so, it really ruined my fun.
  • Layers early on are just a pain
  • Layers juxtaposing on top of each other just make the armors look like shit so all your mercs wear the same shit-looking armors.
  • It might make better armors later on if you add 4 named layers but really, it's not worth it.
  • It takes even more space than usual in your inventory too.
I won't even comment on the rest because i don't care.

Zariusz

Arbiter
That is just immersion vs gameplay. I choosed immersion you choosed gameplay. And about inventory space, you are wrong, you can combine parts on yourself and then just throw this combined armour to inventory so it takes less space.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
No, because again, what you want from an armor is a matching set for the perk (+ fat recovery) or something similar with current ini = half your body armor (or a bit more) for the balance perk bonus.
So you have to keep a lot of layers shit in your inventory hoping for a good match.

I'm not sure this is the right game for an immersion-fag, specially since my other point specially apply to you, layered armors makes all the armors look like shit.

Zariusz

Arbiter
No, because again, what you want from an armor is a matching set for the perk (+ fat recovery) or something similar with current ini = half your body armor (or a bit more) for the balance perk bonus.
So you have to keep a lot of layers shit in your inventory hoping for a good match.

I'm not sure this is the right game for an immersion-fag, specially since my other point specially apply to you, layered armors makes all the armors look like shit.
Well that is your opinion, if i was thinking that armour looks like shit then i would not recommend this mod.

And about immersion, layered armour gives me much more possibilities in customising my bros, i can create better narration in story of my company.

Armour now is not just item that you exchange for better, now you are upgrading it together with your bro.

For example, your bro has only some padded armour, he killed enemy that wore mostly rags but also had chainmail.
After he drops it, are you taking his rags together with his chainmail? No, you just take chainmail and ditch the rest, now you are not only stronger but you also have trophy.
You earned it, with every new piece you and your armour are growing stronger.

It can give us situation like this, your experienced veteran has chainmail from body of noble lord, iron armour from barbarian warlord that he killed 1 on 1, helmet after his fallen comrade, fur on his shoulders from beast that he killed.

Maybe it doesnt look so good but it tells story of your bro that you created yourself.

Vatnik Wumao
Dev Blog #130: Southern Arms

Naturally, the southern city states of the ‘Blazing Deserts’ DLC also have their own arsenal of weapons. Some are southern variants of weapons you already know, while others are entirely new and come with unique skills. You’ll be able to buy them in the city states and loot them from southern opponents. Let’s take a look at a selection of them!​

The Saif

If you’ve been playing Battle Brothers for a while, you may already know of the Scimitar and the Shamshir, both introduced with the ‘Warriors of the North’ DLC. They were a teaser of a southern culture with their own arms to come - which now is about to arrive. As we’re adding the Saif, we’re also doing some work on the existing Scimitar and Shamshir.

93f5ed553856f2569a1b908da570d65deba23ca7.jpg

A curved sword, the Saif is excellent for cutting deep wounds. It’s less suited for thrusting than straight swords, however, and therefore has a harder time penetrating armor. The Saif is a southern variant of the northern shortsword and at the lowest tier in the line of curved swords. The Scimitar has been buffed to be a middle tier weapon now, while the Shamshir remains the highest tier. All of those weapons share the ‘Slash’ skill with northern swords, but also have the unique ‘Gash’ Skill, which is much more likely to inflict serious injuries with adverse secondary effects than regular attacks are.

Not all injuries are equally useful against opponents, and many of the cutting injuries inflicted by the ‘Gash’ skill were previously among the weaker ones. We’ve combed through all cutting injuries to rectify this. Inflicting a ‘Deep Chest Cut’, for example, will now always reduce an opponent’s hitpoints by a percentage of their maximum hitpoints in addition to any damage your attack caused. It may not make much of a difference against Brigand Thugs who don’t have a lot of hitpoints to begin with, but it can mean a lot against barbarians, orcs and many beasts. As cutting injuries become more worthwhile to inflict, the 'Crippling Strikes' perk also becomes a more worthwhile pick - particularly if used together with the Saif, Scimitar or Shamshir to basically guarantee an injury.

The Shields

Identical in function to other shields already in the game, but with somewhat different stats, southerners also have their own shield designs that show well how their arms are inspired by those of historical Arabian and Persian cultures.

08cde7d8a1c9f691dcd204930b56060c33513c42.jpg

The Polemace

Southern armies are rather fond of maces, and so you’ll find a variety of southern maces with stats slightly different from their northern cousins while in the city states. In fact, they also mounted a mace on a long pole and aptly called it a Polemace. It offers the advantages of a regular mace combined with the range of a polearm.

974862f9bbb4a327c8ec71d2c8d024fb8c245f5f.jpg

The Polemace inflicts additional damage to fatigue with every blow. Using its secondary skill, a target can be stunned for one turn over a distance of two tiles.

The Nomad Sling

The south is no less plagued by banditry and pillaging than the north is. While the north has brigands lying in ambush along the road, the south has desert raiders descending upon trade caravans. These desert raiders - or nomads, as they’re sometimes called - have some equipment not otherwise available, including one particular weapon: the Nomad Sling.

a8f4764850eb6fcd1f046cc5d296843fe80d8a7a.jpg

A simple weapon used since ancient times, and the favorite of many a shepherd, a sling is used to hurl stones towards the enemy. The Nomad Sling is a higher tier variant of the existing Staff Sling with similar strengths and weaknesses, but better suited for the later parts of a campaign. It’s not particularly accurate or damaging, but with stones abundant everywhere, it will never run out of ammunition. Two stones can be hurled each turn, and on hitting a target in the head it will inflict the ‘Dazed’ status effect.

The Qatal Dagger

The Qatal Dagger is a short curved blade notoriously used by assassins of the southern deserts. Like northern daggers, it’s intended for quick attacks. Unlike northern daggers, it’s not meant to puncture weak points of armor, but to cut throats of debilitated opponents.

a7879b28932f78fec7a8284398be225cbff9abba.jpg

Using its ‘Deathblow’ skill, this dagger inflicts significantly increased damage to targets which have the Dazed, Stunned or Sleeping status effects. It’s much less fatiguing to use than the ‘Puncture’ skill of other daggers, and it can be used three times a turn with the ‘Dagger Mastery’ perk. It works best, of course, in a combo with other equipment used to debilitate opponents - such as the new Flash Pot available from alchemists, or that Nomad Sling shown above.

The Swordlance

As you’ve already learned, the city states were built atop the ruins of the Ancient Empire. It’s no surprise, then, that they also inherited some of their weapons. The Swordlance is a sharp curved blade attached to a long pole and used to deliver deep sweeping strikes over a distance of two tiles. It’s effectively a Warscythe that performs slightly worse against armor, but is much more durable because it wasn’t lying in some sealed crypt for hundreds of years.

9af1e7582f72244ea19712f235b74d0f76488648.jpg

Like all polearms, the Swordlance can be used to strike a single target over a distance of two tiles. Its unique feature is the ability to perform sweeping strikes in a wide arc that hit three adjacent tiles in counter-clockwise order over some distance, which can cause mayhem in the opponent’s backline.

There’s more new weapons coming with unique mechanics, and we’ll take a look at those as well over the coming weeks!
Source: https://steamcommunity.com/games/365360/announcements/detail/2837770551795939842

Reinhardt

Arcane

Balance and matching set is shit. It's still either nimble nudist wrestlers or battleforged and heaviest possible armor.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Finally got round to playing this; I love a game that kicks me on my butt right from the start.

Never really expected Mount & Blade: Tactics to be a thing I'd dig so much, but I totally do! (Bar the excess of beards, lol.)

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Never really expected Mount & Blade: Tactics to be a thing I'd dig so much, but I totally do! (Bar the excess of beards, lol.)
:decline:

That being said, glad you enjoy it. And do know that you can change the appearance of your bros.

Lmao, I don't actually care about it that much :P I'll get enough of my pretty elf boys soon enough. It is odd how you have a song for most everything though... (Tasteful facial hair >>>>> trailing sage beards; there's a reason Geraldo is universally considered hot. >_>)

Tho speaking of beards, the Byzantiboo in me is hyped for the upcoming DLC's heavy eastern influence. The medieval East and Islam are just visually much more interesting subjects than NW Europe during the Dark Ages. AND PERHAPS RESULT IN MORE TASTEFUL E-BEARDS.

Vatnik Wumao
Lmao, I don't actually care about it that much :P I'll get enough of my pretty elf boys soon enough. It is odd how you have a song for most everything though... (Tasteful facial hair >>>>> trailing sage beards; there's a reason Geraldo is universally considered hot. >_>)

Tho speaking of beards, the Byzantiboo in me is hyped for the upcoming DLC's heavy eastern influence. The medieval East and Islam are just visually much more interesting subjects than NW Europe during the Dark Ages. AND PERHAPS RESULT IN MORE TASTEFUL E-BEARDS.
Nah, 'tasteful facial' hair is cope for not having a full enough beard.
iu

And yep, sharing is caring. Got you covered in the odd music department. :love:

As to go back on topic, I do dig the Persian aesthetic of this DLC and I have the utmost respect for the developers, so I trust that they'll deliver something good.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Nah, 'tasteful facial' hair is cope for not having a full enough beard.
iu

I am beginning to suspect using the word 'cope' is a cope. >__> And you're welcome to your homoerotic flings, but I can feel my skin being cut up just looking at that mane.

And yep, sharing is caring. Got you covered in the odd music department.

Meanwhile I must resist sharing my more emo shit.

As to go back on topic, I do dig the Persian aesthetic of this DLC and I have the utmost respect for the developers, so I trust that they'll deliver something good.

Where does the trust/respect stem from? I coudln't really find much of a history of the devs. I would've expected a more negative–neutral response on average because several DLCs and all from an indie already. (Not saying I default to that, games are what they are esp. outside AAA, focus-tested shit.)

Vatnik Wumao
Where does the trust/respect stem from? I coudln't really find much of a history of the devs. I would've expected a more negative–neutral response on average because several DLCs and all from an indie already. (Not saying I default to that, games are what they are esp. outside AAA, focus-tested shit.)
Because they originally didn't intend to develop any DLC at all given the size of the company and what not. The fact that they pulled through, even though it can be rationalized as simply a matter of calculated risk, loyalized me to a certain extent (and I do believe that this is a passion project for them). That aside, I just dig their work and absolute adore the visual aesthetic.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Balance and matching set is shit. It's still either nimble nudist wrestlers or battleforged and heaviest possible armor.

Matching set is really good for the mercs hitting a lot like fencers or 2H hammers/swords wielders or even anyone using focus.

Balance is really good for offensive oriented teams, meaning armors are just there to take one hit or two, enemies don't survive long enough to kill you.

Reinhardt

Arcane

Matching set is really good for the mercs hitting a lot like fencers or 2H hammers/swords wielders or even anyone using focus.

Balance is really good for offensive oriented teams, meaning armors are just there to take one hit or two, enemies don't survive long enough to kill you.
How far are you in the mod? If you don't abuse broken shit like slaughterer enemies will hit your people. Either because of sheer numbers - rng gods favors big battalions or because some enemies can hit even people with 70+ m.def with decent enough chance. Even with bone plating medium armor is just meh.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Far enough but it's not my first rodeo.
Yes, slaughterer is fun (i've read it's bugged too, probably shouldn't trigger more than once during aoe hits) but i play a seer in my last playthrough.
Of course you get hit sometimes but the seer + perfect focus + mind over body + high ini can kill a non-armored unhold in one turn alone (3 hits).

About hitting people with 70+ mdef with decent chance, aside from swordmasters, i don't know who can do that, probably no one.

Then again, i prioritize nimble + bone platting so it's not a big deal and i don't rush blindly into a group without a plan.

Past the early game, after you replace the rabble by good recruits, it's just a matter of making a stand on the right hill or just rush the enemy if they're not dangerous enough, usually, it works better to kill as many as possible by the end of turn 1 + early turn 2 so half of the remaining foes are fleeing already (2x 2H mercs + fearsome + white wolf helm do wonders)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom