Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They didn't mention anything about a release date yet, did they?

PS I dont care about guns, I just see more tools to kill stuff. I agree about balancing though

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Slave soldiers in history - well trained, well armed often fully professional or elite, with plenty of carrier advancement possibilities
Slave soldiers in BB - expendable rabble barely armed with anything

So tired of this trope

Pls read some actual history books.

Most slave troops were low reputation disposable troops with low morale. Things like Janissaries and Mamluks are an exception, and were not really what you should consider as "slave soldiers".

Fiercely loyal slaves raised from child are the trope, forcibly conscripted peasants who didn't live through their first battle were the reality.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Right now i'm reading about WWI. Russians just rounded imported chinese workers and sent them to frontlines to prepare fortifications. That's why when revolution started there were so many chinese in red army.

Zariusz

Arbiter
Handguns ehh... I was excepting that modders would do this not you devs. Plate armour will be probably next.
Farawell early/high medieval atmosphere, i will miss you.

Well atleast we will be able to do this

Vatnik Wumao
As long as it's drifting towards Warhammer Fantasy in terms of pseudohistorical worldbuilding and doesn't abandon its grimdark aesthetic, it's all fine by me.

Emily

Arcane
Handguns ehh... I was excepting that modders would do this not you devs. Plate armour will be probably next.
Farawell early/high medieval atmosphere, i will miss you.

Well atleast we will be able to do this

yeah musket lines with 12 people :lol:

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Slave soldiers in history - well trained, well armed often fully professional or elite, with plenty of carrier advancement possibilities
Slave soldiers in BB - expendable rabble barely armed with anything

So tired of this trope

Pls read some actual history books.

Most slave troops were low reputation disposable troops with low morale. Things like Janissaries and Mamluks are an exception, and were not really what you should consider as "slave soldiers".

Fiercely loyal slaves raised from child are the trope, forcibly conscripted peasants who didn't live through their first battle were the reality.

Dumb brainlet.

Vatnik Wumao

Last week we’ve learned about gunpowder weapons. In this conclusion of our dev blog series exploring the southern city states, we take a look at their remaining troop types that make use of these weapons. Onwards!

Gunners

Armies of the city states train men in the use of the Handgonne, a metal barrel with a long wooden handle that uses gunpowder to propel shrapnel in a wide cone. Below you see Gunners armed with a Handgonne. Its visuals have been revised since last week to make it more readily apparent that this is an unreliable early firearm and not some kind of blunderbuss.

1c8c58201fc9153b03852fbf45964fc9abb590a3.jpg

Because their weapons cover a cone, Gunners excel against tightly packed enemy formations. But because their weapons also have a very limited effective range, they often have to position themselves right behind their own frontline, leaving them vulnerable to polearms and firearms themselves. The city states do not make use of traditional ranged weapons like bows and crossbows, but desert raiders - essentially the southern equivalent of brigands - make use of a new composite bow with advantages and disadvantages over northern bows.

Engineers

Malnutritioned slaves toil in the fields and quarries beneath a city of golden domes that reflect the glory of the Gilder. It’s a city of architectural marvels made possible by the application of mathematics and engineering. These sciences are taught in several colleges between the city states, and their graduates make for sought-after engineers. They devise intricate water pumps and fountains that create a private oasis in the gardens of wealthy citizens, and they produce mechanical toys that makes eyes go wide.

But where a child sees but a toy, a man with ambition sees what can become a weapon. And so it is that engineers of the city states also devise terrible weapons of war, and that they operate them on the battlefield to rain down destruction on the enemies of men with ambition.

3ded9dacfba5d2d554c9efd367b91100e5debc3f.jpg

As you face engineers in battle, they don’t pose much of a threat by themselves. In fact, they try to stay as far away from the frontline as possible. Their role is not to engage the enemy in direct combat, but to operate the technical marvel that is the mortar. A bronze-cast muzzle-loaded piece of artillery, the mortar is able to fire every other round as long as it is operated by at least one engineer next to it.

The mortar has enough range to cover the whole battlefield, but it’s entirely immobile during combat. It fires explosive shells that cover a large area of effect, but it’s highly inaccurate. The howling sound of incoming mortar shells has as much a psychological impact on combatants as it has an explosive impact, or perhaps even more so. Characters in the blast zone lose morale and receive the new ‘Shellshocked’ status effect that lowers their efficiency in combat, but receive only moderate physical damage.

Luckily, because the mortar is heavy, relatively immobile and hard to operate, it’s an uncommon weapon used only with large armies, and one that you’ll most likely face only as part of the new ‘Holy War’ late game crisis.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom