Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Battle Brothers - Warriors of the North DLC Announced

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Battle Brothers; Battle Brothers - Warriors of the North; Overhype Studios

The boys at Overhype are on a roll! A mere two months after the release of Beasts & Exploration, today they announced yet another DLC for Battle Brothers. It's called Warriors of the North and as you might expect, its main feature is the addition of a new hostile Northern barbarian faction to the game. It will also add the option to pick an "origin" for your company, which will affect all sorts of things over the course of a playthrough. That sounds pretty ambitious to me, but apparently Warriors of the North is meant to be a smaller thing than Beasts & Exploration. Overhype plan to release it within the next few months. Here's the announcement post:

We’re excited to announce that we’re working on another DLC for Battle Brothers. In other words, there’s going to be even more content for that game that you like. The name of the upcoming DLC is going to be ‘Warriors of the North’.

As the name suggests, the focus of the DLC will be on introducing a new human faction hailing from the north. This faction follows the old ways of raiding and sacrificing prisoners to cruel gods. They’ll bring more regional flavor to the northern parts of the map, as well as a different challenge to fighting brigands in the north at every stage of the game. This DLC will be focused on new content, and it will be smaller in scope than ‘Beasts & Exploration’. This also means that you won’t have to wait quite as long until you can play it!

Here’s the rough list of features we’re aiming for:
  • A variety of new human opponents with their own fighting style and equipment, providing a fresh challenge at every stage of the game, including the late game
  • Different origins to pick for your company, each with different starting characters, equipment and circumstances, as well as special rules that impact your campaign from beginning to end
  • New nordic and rus inspired banners, armors and helmets
  • A new legendary location
  • New contracts
  • New events
In addition to these major features, the DLC will also include countless smaller additions. Just like in the past, we’ll explain all major features and most minor ones in detail in future dev blogs as we go along, so you’ll always know what we’re working on and why. We expect to be finished within the next few months and will announce a release date and final feature list once we’re closer to the finish line.

Alongside the DLC, which will not be free, the game will also receive a sizable free update again. This update will contain a whole bunch of improvements, quality-of-life features and balancing changes, as well as some minor content additions.

Join us next week for our first dev blog on the new DLC!
I hope this means the Beasts & Exploration DLC sold well!

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I would like to see them moving away from this game and going to kickstarter to fund a properly battle brothers 2 with things like

- Long campaign similar to expedition games that can also serve to teach people how to play later sandbox
- better graphics, animated like banner saga
- more bosses, enemies, and different content than humans
- endgame that it is not a chore

They have a potential cult classic in this franchise

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Its good they are still working on this, but I did remember they said they were done with BB, and tired of it? I guess the money is good!

But seriously MOAR HUMAN enemies?!

:rage:

Human enemies best enemies

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I will totally let them Paradox me with this game. Just keep getting it closer to perfect and get a decent economy and a branching campaign. And more weapon and attack types.

I want a Go Prone option like in Wizard's crown.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It's nice to see DLC that's actually expanding a game where a little more bulk could help it, not just adding a bunch of boring new mechanics for the sake of new mechanics (Paradox) or frilly cosmetic crap (oh wow, another bolt-action rifle in Sniper Elite!)

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I would like to see them moving away from this game and going to kickstarter to fund a properly battle brothers 2 with things like

- Long campaign similar to expedition games that can also serve to teach people how to play later sandbox

They have in this franchise a potential cult classic

They could also do what they were always promising while the game was on development and:
-make this new content free
-give us mod tools

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

They have in this franchise a potential cult classic

They could also do what they were always promising while the game was on development and:
-make this new content free
-give us mod tools
See, with the buttons in place I wouldn't have to type out "citation needed," I could just click the little icon. It was a simpler time.
Fuck off, Battle Brothers is beautiful.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Fuck off, Battle Brothers is beautiful.
Yes, Battle Brothers' art fit the setting perfectly, a fully detailed painting, even if it doesn't have legs. Banner Saga reminds me too much of western animated movies that almost always more limited in its depiction of violence and edginess.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Finally, it has barbarians.
More vikings themed games, yay...
duelv6j3g.jpg

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I want them to implement late game to transforming into a proper mercenary company. Not just a ragtag band of 20 soldiers walking on foot. I want to see light and heavy cavalry, I want to see light siege engines that you can deploy before battles with enough preparation like Ballistea. Right now even in late game you feel like you are leading an elite band of brigands, not a mercenary company.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
At this rate they might even add battle sisters :O Something else they said they would work on during the kickstarter period...
Heh I could feel the sting of a dozen retarded/decline ratings for that one, oh if only we still had buttons *hint to any rpg codex site owners who might be browsing*

Anyways normally I'd be on the humans suck side and rather they add more fantastical creatures but considering how i ended up hating fighting most of the creatures from the beasts dlc (i admit i suck balls at the game which probably doesn't help) maybe fighting some straight forward barbarians who refuse to resort to paltry trickery in favor of an honest axe to the face might be just up my alley.

Tigranes

Arcane
Human enemies are often the most interesting in RPGs because they tend to benefit from the diversity of rules and abilities that are designed for player characters. Monsters necessarily run on one or two gimmicks, whereas it's easy for human parties to have variety - and hopefully this DLC gives an exponential benefit to existing humans both ally and enemy.

Hence AOD, aiming for ability parity between you and the enemy, gives you a great time, whereas some of the monstrous enemies in Dungeon Rats become monotonous. (The mix there is fine, but one imagines the games would be a lot worse if you mostly fought nonhuman enemies.)

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Human enemies best enemies

:YES!:

:NO!:

Anyway it could be interesting if they go for a "not-warhammer-chaos-warriors" theme and give them strange abilities and powers. Otherwise I am not hyped, I have spent 90% of my time in BB restarting in early game fighting bandits, if these guys are just end game "tankier bandits" then... meh.

And as many fine gentleman before me have already stated, what the game needs is interior maps + much more complex/interesting strategy layer to provide long term gameplay goals.*

I dont care about more enemies, if you give me the above I will throw sacks of precious Jew gold at you!

*But its pretty clear we need BB 2.0 for any of this to happen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom