Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Battle Chasers: Nightwar - JRPG-inspired RPG based on the comic book by Joe Madureira

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Seriously, this is in general rpg and not jrpg? I wish you guys would put a fraction of the effort in what games go in the correct forum as you do moving my posts around all over the place.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
http://www.pcgamer.com/huge-battle-chasers-nightwar-patch-makes-it-less-grindy-and-more-difficult/

Huge Battle Chasers: Nightwar patch makes it less grindy and more difficult
More experience, more money, more fun.

Battle Chasers: Nightwar has been a long time coming. We got our first proper look at the turn-based RPG earlier this year, but it's been in the oven ever since its developers, Airship Syndicate, grouped up following the closure of Darksiders developer Vigil Games. Now it's finally out, and it's had a rough time of it, with many players criticizing how grindy the later stages of the game can be. In a recent, massive patch, Airship Syndicate addressed several of these complaints.

The biggest changes have to do with experience and gold. Most importantly, the overall experience curve "for mid to late game" has been adjusted so levels come faster. Upgrading your gear is also considerably cheaper thanks to reduced blacksmith prices, and easier thanks to increased gold drops.

Combat has also been made more exciting. Loot diversity has been improved across the board, and certain instances like the Shade of Belevros now spawn more frequently. Several abilities and statuses have also been rebalanced to make fights more challenging.

This dovetails nicely with the other focus of the patch: new game plus. In brief, subsequent playthroughs will be more difficult going forward. Enemies and bosses have been scaled up and gear has been slightly scaled down.

A mountain of bug fixes accompanied these core changes. You can read the patch notes in full in this forum post.

Our review of Battle Chasers: Nightwar is ongoing and will take this patch into account. Check back later in the week for our final thoughts.
Wow, I'm glad I'm too busy with Danganronpa right now and didn't start playing Battle Chasers. This patch looks like major incline.
:greatjob:

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
My summary:

Very slow paced, needs animation skip or accelerator.
Very easy, anything less than the highest difficulty is an auto win and you can only select difficulty in dungeons so the rest is trivial regardless.
Not quite the usual hipster trash in that it has some amount of tactical depth and exploration.

Celerity

Oh and seems poorly balanced. The area immediately after I complained the game was easy on any difficulty setting has an enemy that 2 hit kills your entire party and sometimes appears in groups of 2. The rest of the enemies, even in that same area are pretty easy.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've started playing this and went to read linked review:

1: The game is trivially easy, even on the highest difficulty setting. One good attack will kill just about any normal enemy and most mini bosses. 2 will kill the rest of the mini bosses and most bosses. 3 will level just about everything.
That is certainly not the case in my playthrough (9 hours in and I've cleared 3 dungeons) - unless you just grind and grind until you are at least 4 or 5 levels above mobs that you encounter.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
I do most of the time because, yes, his skills are the best at dealing damage - yet still you don't kill mobs in one or two strikes. It's impossible. Unless, as I've said, you are level 12 and they are level let's say 7 or 8. Don't get me wrong, this game is indeed rather easy, yet still claims as above are slightly retarded.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Even after nerfs i think he still can overkill anything in game. And by overkill i mean like x10 dmg over monsters hp. Including bosses.
Just wait a bit longer. Early game is the hardest part of it,

Reinhardt

Arcane
In release version he could easily reach over million damage. With final boss had something like 50k hp. Patches nerfed him a bit, but now you just overkill things by not that much.

Celerity

I've started playing this and went to read linked review:

1: The game is trivially easy, even on the highest difficulty setting. One good attack will kill just about any normal enemy and most mini bosses. 2 will kill the rest of the mini bosses and most bosses. 3 will level just about everything.
That is certainly not the case in my playthrough (9 hours in and I've cleared 3 dungeons) - unless you just grind and grind until you are at least 4 or 5 levels above mobs that you encounter.

I didn't grind at all. I also apparently had a very suboptimal party since using the first three characters you get gives you exactly one good damage dealer instead of three. They also had shitty (read: not max damage spam) builds. It didn't matter, mobs melt. I spent at least 2, often 3 times as much time or more watching slow as fuck unskippable combat or walking animations than I did actually making a combat or navigational decision.

Further, once you are 4 levels higher you can just skip enemies and if you fight them anyways you'll get somewhere between 1 XP and 10% of normal value... so not even worth it.

Don't take my word for it though, compare animation vs decision time and terrible damage spam for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEEI13KnGdc

Near 20 minutes, minimal danger and thought, mostly just a waiting game. This is also near endgame and gives you an ultimate weapon which literally triples the damage of the highest damage character as well as a legendary relic that further boosts damage of whoever you want.

Compare with actual tactics. Still a suboptimal party and a lot of mistakes but 15 minutes and actual thought and danger are involved. The only reason those mistakes are only "almost" killing me is because that party is damn near maximum tankiness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIWMWSQHRrM

This is also early game. An early game that exactly 3 people, including me have gotten past but even so, Deepest Dark tutorial bosses > hipster trash endgame.

Sjukob

Arcane
Celerity got it right, this game is another wasted potential. Don't know how they fucked up such a small game though.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
How does mob auto-leveling work? My main party is lvl 12. I got Red Monica (lvl 13) and now enemies in the next story dungeon and around it are lvl 13-14.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
How does mob auto-leveling work? My main party is lvl 12. I got Red Monica (lvl 13) and now enemies in the next story dungeon and around it are lvl 13-14.
They tend to level with each tick of the world turn or with each visit in a dungeon (which actually when I type this is I think the same thing... yep it is) within specific level range.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
I think this game deserves more attention. The battle system is decent and there is a lot of side stuff to do.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think this game deserves more attention. The battle system is decent and there is a lot of side stuff to do.
I thought the main two issues were that it's a)too easy and b) repetitive... Can you comment on those?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't see this getting much attention here. It is after all advertised to play like a JRPG.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
I thought the main two issues were that it's a)too easy and b) repetitive... Can you comment on those?
a) fixed with a patch in autumn
b) kind of repetitive in a JRPG way, though your characters constantly gain new abilities so you can try different tactics (also you can redistribute talent points on the get go to balance party defence|offence) plus nice dungeon design and a lot of optional stuff.

I'd call it repetitive in an addictive way.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
And just in case:

New Update (Build 23636) Live!
Hey everyone! We have a new patch live now on steam for PC and Mac. GoG coming soon. We are going to work on pushing this patch to PS4 and XboxOne aswell (this will be big for consoles since it also includes the last patch which didn't make it to consoles). We have a lot of bug fixes and balance changes. Thanks everyone for the feedback/bug reports! Without further ado, here are the patch notes:

Patch Notes for Build 23636

Balance
* The entire cast of Battle Chasers has wised up, and have learned how to use equipment that was previously beyond their skill level. This means: equipment no longer requires a minimum level to equip! This will improve the leveling curve, and make leveling up benched characters a smoother experience. To keep the game balanced, equipment drops and vendor inventories have been slightly readjusted.
* The XP curve has been adjusted to alleviate stalling in mid-game dungeons.
* Early game enemies have become more dangerous.
* Several enemies in the game have had their abilities made more fair/balanced.
* The Innkeeper has revised his tax plan, and the cost of reviving your party has been adjusted to be more lenient for the low-leveled and more demanding of the high-leveled.
* New Game+ is harder. (Evil laugher)
* Knolan's starting level should be 11.
* Innervating Mist has had its overcharge generation reduced slightly.

Gameplay
* Dungeons no longer magically uncomplete themselves when quitting to the Main Menu after completing them.
* Loot should not be assigned to empty bins if there is no loot.
* Fixed some of Monika's abilities that were not critting properly.
* Garrison's Rupture Ability will stop falling over after 3 turns and last its full 5 turns.
* Slimes no longer behave like molasses, but like gelatin. Thus, they play their animations much more quickly.
* We put a stop to the time travel occurring when quitting the game from a completed dungeon. Loading back in to the save will now progress to the next day.
* The boss the Dig in Mythic difficulty is now at its proper level.
* Fixed a bug that prevented perks from updating correctly when swapping equipment
*Fixed a bug that showed inflated stat values on the character sheet when first loading into the scene or changing equipment while a certain mastery was equipped

UI
* A few minor Localization issues addressed.
* Incorrect/non-working button prompts in the Compendium, Game Manual and in Fishing have been fixed.
* The UI has received a scale-up and contrast adjustments across the board, to make text more visible on screens of differing sizes and distances.
* In some cases the Compendium would flicker open and closed when you pressed your controller buttons just so. This has been fixed.
* The Bestiary Entry progress bar has been made less visually noisy.

General Bug Fixes
* Players who were missing Caldeus's skull and the Alpha Core despite having defeated the appropriate enemies should now be able to find them in their inventory.
* Cinematic background/music audio is now tied to the music volume.
* Fishing lines have been polished.
* Fishing in general has been polished.
* Fixes have been made to a certain cane to prevent multiples of it being spawned.

Thank you!

ebPD8PePfC

Savant
For what it's worth, after the patch the game is still all about trash mobs with no way to skip battle animations. Two hours in and I'm done. I'm sure there are better jrpgs out there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom