Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battlefield 1 - set in World War 1

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tried the game through origin access. Just too twitchy and fast paced for me. I'm too old I guess. The worst part though is there is snipers everywhere, and you get shot from all angles all the time. There is no breathing room. Almost felt like I got PTSD from playing an hour.

sullynathan

Arcane
And it worked for Ubisoft. It's why ass creed became one of the best selling franchises of all time but that happened nearly a decade ago and ass creed really has no competition.

Machocruz

Arcane
The single player has fucking wall hax? Why not just make all objects transparent, since concealment means nothing. Never change, AAA. Actually no, please do.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I'm 50 hours into the MP, and I'm still fucking loving it.

I haven't played the SP yet, but I hear it's really good (for a battlefield game). It's also getting rave rewiews everywhere.

I'm hooked, I'm addicted like a fucking drug addict. My gf started complainin' too, 'cause I play too fucking much (which I do)

I can honestly say, this is truly the best battlefield game there ever was, and possibly the best war shooter game IF you're into that sort of genre and style. There are several other very good war / war shooter games that take quite a different approach both in terms of mechanics, gunplay, style, realism and so on. So Battlefield might be for those people that favor other styles of shooters. But I've always been a big battlefield fanboy, so I am heavily biased, obviously.

I realize battlefield ain't for everybody, but IF you are into solid, slick war shooters that still contain a good amount of depth and tactics/strategy(which of course super popamole) then this game is for you.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Probably the most interesting thing is the fact that every vehicle feels so significant. The feeling where every tank is special and actually seriously hard to kill, as well as rare adds so much to the feels that you're part of a giant infantry wave armed with shitty rifles, even though they've made stretched the setting a lot by making obsure and boutique semiautomatic weapons that weren't standard issue common throughout.

Planes are just so awful though, I don't have words. If you're going to simplify planes down from the flight model shared by Warthunder and generally every other flying game since the dawn of time, including Battlefields, you have to actually make it usable.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The MP is fun. I always pick scout and run into the mountains and fulfill my dream of being a Mountain Faggot.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
f4b5192c60.jpg

2229356705.png

:killit:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
you will never have people like him in ur team
neverever

:negative:
that's why I no longer play FPS multiplayers, or MP in general.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...account-pulls-insensitive-tweets-after-outcry

Official Battlefield account pulls insensitive tweets after outcry over #justWWIthings

The official Battlefield account tried to get a hashtag trending on Twitter - only to find its attempt backfired.

jpg

Two tweets tried to push the hashtag #justWWIthings, the first depicting a soldier with a flamethrower with the caption: "When you're too hot for the club", the second a picture of a soldier brandishing a pistol while an airship goes down in the background with the caption@ "When your squad is looking on point."

It's a slightly different tone to that taken in the game itself, with Battlefield 1's campaign a relatively mournful affair while its multiplayer makes lip service to the nature of the war in its chaotic Operations mode, even if it can't escape the inherent silliness of online multiplayer first-person shooters.

Still, people picked up on the tonal discrepancy and the hashtag became a source of both disdain and mockery this afternoon.

The tweets have since been deleted, though not before they were captured for posterity by games journalist Holly Nielsen.

EA and DICE's Battlefield 1 has enjoyed strong sales in its first two weeks on the shelves, and its well-drilled multiplayer - perhaps the best since Battlefield Bad Company 2 - is going down well with players. Better than some of its social media campaigns, anyway.

We've asked EA for comment.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
so them trying to piss everyone off is deliberate marketing shit? good to know. explains all the bullshit in the campaigns, too.

Tehdagah

Arcane
"Deleted now, but I'm sure they'll make an appearance in the lectures I'm working on."

:lol:

"Hey @Battlefield, I'm loving the BF1 campaign, but just to let you know, the hashtag #justWWIthings is absolutely not OK. At all. Thanks."

He loves killing fictional people but hashtags about fictional people being killed is not ok.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Should have just made it steampunk. Would have avoided so much shit (from me too :) ).

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Kotaku tries to play, gets caught up in war: http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/10/28/the-nightmare-war-of-battlefield-1-multiplayer
...Battlefield 1 is at its most vivid when I play by myself. No friends in my party, no chatter to distract me. I make my way through the husk of another war-ruined city, praying I haven’t been noticed. I hit the deck before cresting the nearest hill. My view is distorted by smoke and fog, and I can barely see where I’m going. A plane drones by overhead. I hear a horse in the distance. When I die, I won’t see it coming. It could happen at any moment. I’m constantly bracing for it.

egafcpqcpvmjos9ey2gx.png

In a cutscene at the end of that blood-soaked first story mission, two opposing soldiers are left standing. For some reason, neither one fires at the other. They regard one another across the bodies of their fallen comrades and slowly lower their weapons. It’s an affecting and well-executed moment, but it rings false.

Battlefield 1’s multiplayer has no room for that sort of sentiment or scripted visual poetry. It hews to a harsher truth. In this war, you kill everyone you can until someone kills you. You’re already dead. It’s just a matter of when.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
That "first story mission" is a goddemn tutorial. Goddamn retards. Now, I've only played first two "stories" past the tutorial. The first one, with brits in a Mark V was ok, more or less standard military shooter. The second one with an american Han Soloish pilot was a lot of fun. It was stupid, easy and utterly inaccurate, but a lot of fun.

Of course, this is codex and spergs gotta "muh realism" and "muh historical accuracy" in a goddam battlefield game.

Deleted member 7219

So, is The Last Express still the only good game set in (or near) the First World War?

Deleted member 7219

TB tearing the single player a new one, and asking, what were the gaming media smoking to say that this campaign is amazing:

This is very informative from TB and shows the best of him. I think he does get unfair treatment from some here at the Codex. Every once in a while he'll make a video like this where he is utterly right, and he explains his positions in the clearest manner. I was hoping they'd do the risky thing and make Battlefield 1 a real First World War game, showing off the interesting things that really made that war different from everything that has been fought before and since. But nah. They made a campaign where you can be a Space Marine, a campaign where you can fly an X-Wing, and from the looks of multiplayer (from AngryJoe's coverage at least), it's all squad-based checkpoint stuff. Star Wars Battlefront with a slight WW1 skin.

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
I was hoping they'd do the risky thing and make Battlefield 1 a real First World War game

Ok, skipping over everything else, I want to ask about this. Why? Why would anyone hope that EA's Battlefield game would be anything more than an arcady shoot shoot? It's the same as expecting Bethesda to develop a good RPG, or of Bioware to have good writing.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
That "first story mission" is a goddemn tutorial. Goddamn retards. Now, I've only played first two "stories" past the tutorial. The first one, with brits in a Mark V was ok, more or less standard military shooter. The second one with an american Han Soloish pilot was a lot of fun. It was stupid, easy and utterly inaccurate, but a lot of fun.

Of course, this is codex and spergs gotta "muh realism" and "muh historical accuracy" in a goddam battlefield game.
I haven't even touched the single player, and I probably never will. Battlefield is a multiplayer game :smug:

Deleted member 7219

I was hoping they'd do the risky thing and make Battlefield 1 a real First World War game

Ok, skipping over everything else, I want to ask about this. Why? Why would anyone hope that EA's Battlefield game would be anything more than an arcady shoot shoot? It's the same as expecting Bethesda to develop a good RPG, or of Bioware to have good writing.

Because it is possible for a big nasty company to get a developer to make something good.

Bethesda, for all we hate them, did it with Dishonored and Wolfenstein: The New Order.

Sony did it with Uncharted and The Last of Us.

Why isn't it possible for EA to get someone to make a great WW1 game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom