Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2

Thane Solus

Arcane
The worst thing about Warhammer is how stale the whole thing is. A guy spends 900 years in the warp,technology is all the same and people talk to him as if they just saw him. And the Empire is also annoying with all the "lets stay put and they will come for us to kill" mentality,the do lack any kind of offensive aggression. That is why i like the option to kill abbadon.

Thats bad writing in a way, but the Black legions/Chaos come into normal space from Eye of Terror (when they are not summoned by a cult or some weirdo). During the last 11000 years (in the lore), many went there to raze demon worlds, due to revenge or because they were damned, some primarchs and space marines still fight to this days there (or they are lost there). But problem with warp, that things are different in that space, a 1000 years can pass there, where in normal space only 100, or the other way. Also its kinda pointless to raze those worlds, since the Chaos gods, can create shit from nothing in some instances, in their own realm of chaos. Its a bit more complex than that but this is a brief, there is a lot of lore, and cool shit to read, watch, or listen (audio books)

As for technology, besides a few times when mechanicus, or a archmagus gets some power, but due their nature as a cult, they disregard advancement/creativity/free thought, and in 40k, they only maintain things, rarely creating new things, until Papa Smurf (Guilliman) returned and Belasarus started to make new technology, cause reasons (the latest books are kinda crap, beside Dark Imperium which is ok).

Some good shit to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D4jr-0_COg&list=PLSWAxTw0FAGxkkqmuroxMwN5LviaBosJ5

The rest of the episodes and the finale are on his channel, check last videos.

Last edited:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Ok, I dropped it. Campaign is unbearable. Each turn you deal with shitload of invasion fleets, build some expendable fleets to eal with this crap etc. They shit on lore - "Abaddon is killed according to campaign" and other fucked up crap.
The game have only one bright side - musci. It is marvellous, even better than first one and first one was superb.

Alpharius

Scholar
Thats bad writing in a way, but the Black legions/Chaos come into normal space from Eye of Terra (when they are not summoned by a cult or some weirdo).
Black legions/Chaos come into normal space from Eye of Terra.
DpxlQa5UUAM0Azj.jpg

Thane Solus

Arcane
Thats bad writing in a way, but the Black legions/Chaos come into normal space from Eye of Terra (when they are not summoned by a cult or some weirdo).
DpxlQa5UUAM0Azj.jpg

Too lazy to explain, the warp storms, the summons of demons, favor to chaos gods to create storms/portals etc. Go away edgy traitor! :P

Has the nickname of a traitor primarch, posts memes with the Emperor. The definition of shitposting :))))

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The worst thing about Warhammer is how stale the whole thing is. A guy spends 900 years in the warp,technology is all the same and people talk to him as if they just saw him. And the Empire is also annoying with all the "lets stay put and they will come for us to kill" mentality,the do lack any kind of offensive aggression. That is why i like the option to kill abbadon.

Thats bad writing in a way, but the Black legions/Chaos come into normal space from Eye of Terra (when they are not summoned by a cult or some weirdo). During the last 11000 years (in the lore), many went there to raze demon worlds, due to revenge or because they were damned, some primarchs and space marines still fight to this days there (or they are lost there). But problem with warp, that things are different in that space, a 1000 years can pass there, where in normal space only 100, or the other way. Also its kinda pointless to raze those worlds, since the Chaos gods, can create shit from nothing in some instances, in their own realm of chaos. Its a bit more complex than that but this is a brief, there is a lot of lore, and cool shit to read, watch, or listen (audio books)

As for technology, besides a few times when mechanicus, or a archmagus gets some power, but due their nature as a cult, they disregard advancement/creativity/free thought, and in 40k, they only maintain things, rarely creating new things, until Papa Smurf (Guilliman) returned and Belasarus started to make new technology, cause reasons (the latest books are kinda crap, beside Dark Imperium which is ok).

Some good shit to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D4jr-0_COg&list=PLSWAxTw0FAGxkkqmuroxMwN5LviaBosJ5

The rest of the episodes and the finale are on his channel, check last videos.
As i said in the post on the last page,i don't expect them go after the enemies that they can't reach. Still the whole shit is about reaction and not action,there is plenty of shit that could be wiped. Nothing would stay the same in 11000 years,but that is to be expected from a table top shit. And i do agree that they have really good lore and setting to read about,still illogical tho. But that is because of feature bloat added trough the warhammer history.

Alpharius

Scholar
DpxlQa5UUAM0Azj.jpg

Too lazy to explain, the warp storms, the summons of demons, favor to chaos gods to create storms/portals etc. Go away edgy traitor! :P

Has the nickname of a traitor primarch, posts memes with the Emperor. The definition of shitposting :))))
Dude, its eye of Terror, not eye of Terra. Eye of Terra is the one you can see on Horus and Sanguinius armor in this picture:
Horus-vs-the-Emperor-2004-1200x800.jpg

Thane Solus

Arcane
DpxlQa5UUAM0Azj.jpg

Dude, its eye of Terror, not eye of Terra. Eye of Terra is the one you can see on Horus and Sanguinius armor in this picture:
Horus-vs-the-Emperor-2004-1200x800.jpg

Lel i said Eye of Terra? lmao, didnt noticed. Need more coffie... U win this time traitor:P

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
As i said in the post on the last page,i don't expect them go after the enemies that they can't reach. Still the whole shit is about reaction and not action,there is plenty of shit that could be wiped. Nothing would stay the same in 11000 years,but that is to be expected from a table top shit. And i do agree that they have really good lore and setting to read about,still illogical tho. But that is because of feature bloat added trough the warhammer history.

Well the existence of crusades (like the one depicted in Gaunt's Ghost books and those against the TauBlue commies) shows that sometime the Imperium goes after other enemies. And there were a few changes during the 11000 years (in addition to the most recent fluff): the various founding, the black crusades, the creation of the Ordo Xenos and Hereticus, the foundation of the Sisters of Battle and Deathwatch. There's still some changes.

Regarding tech, for the Imperium, it's mostly devolving, because of the cult-like structure of the Mechanicus.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Well the existence of crusades (like the one depicted in Gaunt's Ghost books and those against the TauBlue commies) shows that sometime the Imperium goes after other enemies. And there were a few changes during the 11000 years (in addition to the most recent fluff): the various founding, the black crusades, the creation of the Ordo Xenos and Hereticus, the foundation of the Sisters of Battle and Deathwatch. There's still some changes.

Regarding tech, for the Imperium, it's mostly devolving, because of the cult-like structure of the Mechanicus.
Why the fuck they decided to go after the most non threatening enemy out there? I don't see adding a few sub sects as a change. The thing is that it was set in one time span in the original game but later it bloated because workshop wanted to sell more shit. But sadly their writers are retarded and decided to go for millennia instead of centuries. I you take a zero from the 11000 years it will be a huge improvement. Having so much of a time in between attacks and building super epic mega ultra fleets is kind of retarded. In between events the whole world feels frozen. Also i find baffling that people will just forget about existence of threads like the tyranids,when they are so much focused one survival at all cost.

Alpharius

Scholar
Ok, I dropped it. Campaign is unbearable. Each turn you deal with shitload of invasion fleets, build some expendable fleets to eal with this crap etc.
Same here. I've lasted 50 or so turns on pure autism but after the game crashed on me after i've spent like half an hour kiting the 3k tyranid fleet to death with my 700 one i've had enough. :negative:
The beginning of the campaign reminded me of total war warhammer 1, but after 20 or so turns it became like total war warhammer 2. Gazillion of boring compstomp battles each turn, fuck this.

The first game was definitely better, though i didn't manage to finish it either.

A am curious,is this game going to be canon?
Doesn't seem likely if this is true:
They shit on lore - "Abaddon is killed according to campaign" and other fucked up crap.

Thane Solus

Arcane

Why the fuck they decided to go after the most non threatening enemy out there? I don't see adding a few sub sects as a change. The thing is that it was set in one time span in the original game but later it bloated because workshop wanted to sell more shit. But sadly their writers are retarded and decided to go for millennia instead of centuries. I you take a zero from the 11000 years it will be a huge improvement. Having so much of a time in between attacks and building super epic mega ultra fleets is kind of retarded. In between events the whole world feels frozen. Also i find baffling that people will just forget about existence of threads like the tyranids,when they are so much focused one survival at all cost.

there is a lot of lore in those 11k year mate, and the problem with technology make sense once you read and understand how the empire of man and mechanicus works after the emperors "death". Just accept it, is just a thing of this universe, and like i said it makes sense.

A good video to understand more about mechanicus:

If you like that check in the same plays list Empire of Man 1 and 2, and it will make sense.

As for the game is just looks as bad as the first one, good for cutscenes, not very good on gameplay. They improved the campaign mechanic, but not by far. Fuck multiplayer.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
there is a lot of lore in those 11k year mate, and the problem with technology make sense once you read and understand how the empire of man and mechanicus works after the emperors "death". Just accept it, is just a thing of this universe, and like i said it makes sense.

A good video to understand more about mechanicus:

If you like that check in the same plays list Empire of Man 1 and 2, and it will make sense.

As for the game is just looks as bad as the first one, good for cutscenes, not very good on gameplay. They improved the campaign mechanic, but not by far. Fuck multiplayer.
Oh i have accepted it a long time,still doesn't make any sense. A few hundred pages of lore isn't enough to show the human history in one year in the real world,let alone 11000 years of the galactic empires :).

Doesn't seem likely if this is true:
I do hope it becomes canon,the fucker made 13 crusades and failed miserably,it is time for a new bad guy. They should have killed the cuck after the fourth.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Remember, this is a setting where people spend YEARS in queues to pay Imperial Taxes. And the Administratum claims world after world in order to store their paperwork. Get out of here with your logic!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Remember, this is a setting where people spend YEARS in queues to pay Imperial Taxes. And the Administratum claims world after world in order to store their paperwork. Get out of here with your logic!
Meh,those things make sense,the rest doesn't!

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Example of campaign fuckery.
- As campaign progress you gain access to more sectors.
- Each turn there's a chance that some random system in EACH sector will be attacked by a faction.
- As campaign progress more and more and more factions added to the equation. In the end you have Chaos, Tyranids, Orcs, Eldars, dark eldars, imperial pirates, maybe more, I stopped here.
- There are systems with POI like "add [faction] threat if fleet not stationed in the system". So you have to station fleets acros the sector or risk additional invasions.
- As each campaign step progresses threat is increasing, so chance of invasion across ALL sectors rises up.
- It means that later on you are swarmed with boring, tedious battles.
At this point it is unbearable, you just scream MAKE IT STOOOP and beeline to story missions to end this suffering.
Plus the only way to get reinforcements is to either lose a ship or make a warp jump...which could result in ship being lost anyway. There is no way to retreat normally or extend battle scale. Even if you have 1500 point fleet each you can still put only 500 into battle, and the rest will go for reinforcements.

First one was a perfect example of campaign done right - telling a story with battes affecting some aspects of your further progress, but where losing a battle is not equal to total defeat. here, it is a non-canon slog

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
First one was a perfect example of campaign done right - telling a story with battes affecting some aspects of your further progress, but where losing a battle is not equal to total defeat. here, it is a non-canon slog
The random invasions from out of nowhere really are an issue. Especially since they are generally fuckhueg armadas.

But I think the bigger issue is lack of variety in missions. It doesn't really matter if you get hold territory or cruiser clash, it still plays like cruiser clash (you can exploit ai in hold territory too). The only mission that feels a bit different is hold territory when one side has fortifications built.
The first game had quite a lot of variety with the assassination, battle plan theft, blockade, escort, planetary strike...
Your ships have less identity too. In the first game, each ship got customized with special skills and passives and if you had enough resources a sub-faction affinity. Here all non-admiral ships of the same type are identical. And admirals don't improve over time, and their skills/abilities are random.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The random invasions are annoying but not that hard to get pass. You get the option eliminate factions one by one and thus stopping the attacks. Conquer the whole sectors before progressing,it lowers the threat levels,also build mind fields to slow down the fleets. The biggest problem was the tyranids first invasion. The trick is to not build mines everywhere so you would be able to chain them turn by turn. Position your fleets in threes and in places that will be able to protect a few systems. After you kill the tyranid menace the game becomes a lot more tolerable. Just spam load the battle until you get hive ship for the quest,you don't need to do it with your guy.

Also for quick battles always have mechanicus with a bunch of 100 priced LC in the first slot,it greatly improves the survivability of ships.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Last battle of the game. It should be a pinnacle of effort and a massive confrontation. Instead we got THIS.

This is cringeworthy

Ovg

Cipher
Why do you whine they killed off failbaddon? Big bad of the 40k who failed one crusade after another. Then he succeeded and we got super hyper marines. Fuck the lore.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Why do you whine they killed off failbaddon? Big bad of the 40k who failed one crusade after another. Then he succeeded and we got super hyper marines. Fuck the lore.
First Armada managd to make a magnificent campaign with negligable deviations from the lore. It was a texbook adaptation of computer game for existing lore. Armada II could not get even close to that

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
First Armada managd to make a magnificent campaign with negligable deviations from the lore. It was a texbook adaptation of computer game for existing lore. Armada II could not get even close to that

Armada II followed the trend of the first game of adapting one of the conflict of the Battlefleet rulebooks; the first game was about the 12th black crusade which ended as an imperial victory, the second was about the 13th which is either inconclusive or an imperial defeat with the new fluff.
So if the devs wanted a conclusive and victorious end to the imperial campaign, they had to go non-canon. Of course they could have chosen a campaign where they didn't need to go non-canon, but the 13th black crusade is rather well-known and it ties with the recent lore; perhaps it was even a decision from GW.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Cannon limitations are shit,if i cared that much about it i would have played the shitty overprices plastic garbo and not this game.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
For all their sermons about how much effort they put into online game balance the state of online play is this.

Absolutely retarded cheese tactics. Game is full of them. AdMech light cruiser spam, Space Marine board spam - game is in abysmal state in terms of balance

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom