Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Preview BattleTech Basics Video #3: Story + Mercenary Campaign Streams

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: BattleTech; Harebrained Schemes; Jordan Weisman; Kiva Maginn; Mike McCain; Mitch Gitelman; Paradox Interactive

The third and final episode in Harebrained Schemes' series of BattleTech introductory videos is about the game's story. Which is kind of weird, because we just had a story trailer. At least it has some additional voice acting and animatic scenes that weren't in the previous one.

To make things more interesting, here's a one hour overview of BattleTech's campaign that Paradox and Harebrained streamed two weeks ago. They also did another stream last week that was solely about mech customization. A number of streamers have been allowed to stream a portion of the campaign since last week as well.

Now that it's finally been revealed less than a month before the game's release, the mechanics of the campaign have been the subject of much debate. It is pretty complex, but it also seems like Harebrained might have filed off a bit too many of its rough edges in the name of accessibility. The BattleTech fanbase is very vocal, so we'll see how things turn out.

• decline decline x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Shit Shit x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Nael Arcane

Nael
    Parrots:
    A spazz that uses about 5 "Hellos" too many in greeting, chats with an old bugman, and a really horrendous tranny. What in teh fuck am I watching?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • decline decline x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Junmarko Ravioli di canguro Patron

Junmarko
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    ...Battletech: Behemothfall and Battletech: Kuala Lumper will raise the bar, just you wait :lol:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. duanth123 Arcane

duanth123
    Parrots:
    https://archive.li/idvTy

[​IMG]

I have a feeling the lack of rough edges might be the least of this game's concerns, particularly if certain like minds were also responsible for making thematic/narrative decisions and/or the simple act of accurately portraying various actors in a complex universe.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    • WTF am I reading x 5
    • hopw roewur ne x 4
    • Brofist x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Despair x 2
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. i.Razor Learned Patron

i.Razor
    Parrots:
    That Kiva guy called someone a goblin? Lol.
    Design in SRR was cool though.

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Isn't this the plot of Jagged Alliance 2? Rightful leader's throne gets usurped and they hire a bunch of mercenaries to recover it in a turn-based strategy campaign?

That other turn-based strategy game (Blackguards 2) did the same thing.

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Sloul Educated

Sloul
    Parrots:
    The upkeep are extremely retarded.
    Hence why they instantly try to justify them.

60.000$/month to run the argo
    Every mech is 7200$/month
    While pilots are being paid around 30.000$/month

So basically,

This cost 60.000$/month in maintenance:
    [​IMG]

2 of those guys cost the same /month:
    [​IMG]

This cost 7.200$ in maintenance per month:
    [​IMG]

Which is the same maintenance cost as this:
    [​IMG]

It all makes sense.
    It's also very well balanced.
    And obvs realism and authenticity kills all fun.

• Balanced Balanced x 6
    • retadred retadred x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Parrots:
    Where can I find the details in a non-retarded (i.e. text) format?

^ Top  
  9. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Read the last ten or so pages of our BattleTech thread. Or just ask Bohr and oasis789

^ Top  
  10. Bohr Erudite

Bohr
    Parrots:
    I posted about some of the factors making the game a bit easier/simplified right now, here.

(edited out video ref as you only want text)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. *-*/\--/\~ Savant

*-*/\--/\~
    Parrots:
    This fucking... cancer-thing is one of the reasons I'll never give a single cent to Harebrained.

• Agree x 5
    • Brofist x 3
    • nice x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Parrots:
    Thanks! I've heard about some of the cut corners, I'm more curious of what complex elements remain there?

^ Top  
  13. Black Arcane

Black
    Parrots:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • decline decline x 2
    • Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Fenix Cipher Vatnik

Fenix
    Parrots:
    After that I understand a little more what kind of shit HB consist of.

• Agree Agree x 6
    ^ Top  
  15. Bohr Erudite

Bohr
    Parrots:
    For new players the actual combat will seem the most complex, am reminded of that when I see a new player pick up the game and have no idea about initiative, facing, cover, damage clustering, heat, pilot abilities etc. But as far as the other aspects of the campaign go, from my impressions the economic sim, ship upgrades, mechwarrior xp/skill development, event systems were all better than I expected. I was only really hoping for a decent tactical game with a tiny bit of fluff sprinkled over the top, so perhaps this depends on what one expected from a game with this budget.

But, with their stubborn refusal to have different difficulty settings combined with a desire to cater to new players, it's currently more potential for what could be achieved by modders (or later HBS patches/expansions) than what's there at the moment. Events and ship upgrades have an interplay with morale (which is useful in combat) and cashflow, so the structure is there, but if one is swimming in cash then they lose their impact. You have an economic sim tracking the upkeep of every mech, but then make their costs identical as they don't want people to feel at all 'bad' about getting an Atlas instead of a Locust. The mechbay is nice and acquiring new mechs is addictive as always, but the abstracted salvage and the fact that your own mechs never get scrapped (if you're only left with a head it'll just take longer in the mechbay) mean it's too easy imo to get them so that isn't as satisfying as it can be and even in the early game the streamers have reached they're casually selling off mechs they don't need.

So again I've started talking about what is there and diverged into talking about what could be done better. But the actual systems are in the game, which is why the usual "modders will fix it" feels like something that will actually happen, and BT seems to have some dedicated modders.

Screens like the following would have so much more meaning if money was tighter and there was a bit more variation to the costs

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Building out one's mechs would be more satisfying if we actually had to fit out our new salvaged mechs, rather than getting them pristine and fully equipped (possibly a bug, hopefully they confirm in tonight's Q&A):

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Max Heap Savant

Max Heap
    Parrots:
    Checked the twitter account of that guy.

Pretty funny someone that arrogant, insolent and idiotic has the gall make a fuss about other people being potentially unpleasent co-workers.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Nael Arcane

Nael
    Parrots:
    In that video too, I definitely got the impression that the older guy detested the tranny. I mean how could you not? That monstrosity rolled its eyes almost the entire clip like some brat teenager. That is the product of a terrible upbringing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Crescent Hawk Savant

Crescent Hawk
    Parrots:
    Everything looks amateurish like all their other games, I mean the models are good, and I fucking love Battletech, but it all seems so meh. Janky animations and camera and hit reactions, bland music, and at least old games like the Microsoft ones had the good FMV cheese instead of this pseudo bootleg Homeworld cutscenes. Fuck it we shall see.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Xeon Liturgist

Xeon
    Parrots:
    I hope Kiva gets fired, s/he is just too cancerous.

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Poos Arcane

Poos
    Parrots:
    would have paid money for this game if it weren't for that ugly piece of shit transvestite being a total wanker

hope this game fails; and it will

• Agree x 5
    • Brofist x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Junmarko Ravioli di canguro Patron

Junmarko
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Their recruitment focus has shifted to social politics over merit. Great strategy guys.

[​IMG]

:deathclaw:

• decline x 11
    • Funny x 7
    • Informative x 2
    • Rage x 1
    • Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Septaryeth Savant

Septaryeth
    Parrots:
    :hmmm:

Was going to give HBS the benefit of doubt but damn.
    I still remembered how they lost their shit after being called out for that hilariously pretentious and pokemon-like ethnicity matchmaking.
    I thought it was like a one-time gag. So what ticked them off this time?

I also can't find that tweet for some reasons. For all the confidence in their philosophy, I wonder why she deleted them?
    Though some other tweets suggest it's about 4chan.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    I just wanna point out that dragonfall was also a sjw yankfest and this tranny was not involved afaik.

• Agree x 1
    • decline x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. cpmartins Cipher

cpmartins
    Parrots:
    I'll see your cancer and raise you an AIDS:
    [​IMG]

• hopw roewur ne x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Rage x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    Parrots:
    It's basically the plot of every mercenary band story. Nothing wrong about it.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)