Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News BattleTech Released

Bohr

Arcane
Would have thought that, for those who worked on the game, it would be better to ignore the noise and let reviews settle over time. But I guess appealing to Steam (and Kotaku editor followers) makes sense to some.

Saduj

Arcane
Welp, just had my first crash to desktop. Didn't even happen during a mission. It happened on one of the mission debrief screens. At first I thought "Not too bad, game probably auto saved on mission success" but then I started the game up again and..... I have to play this shit over. :negative:

This was after the 2nd mission not counting the tutorial so I haven't even got to the part where I'm running things yet and according to Steam, this has taken 3 hours. Load times are totally abysmal. My PC has 8 gigs of RAM. The first time the game booted it said something about the game needing "7999" and me having "7333" and it suggested that I change the video settings. Changed the quality setting to "Medium" and it still runs like ass.

The game play itself is decent enough so far and the slow animations during combat would not be so annoying if everything else this game does didn't take so fucking long. Will go back to it later but right now I have no interest in replaying a mission I just did. Knowing what is coming will make it easier but it will still take upwards of 40 minutes to complete with all the loading times and whatnot.

I don't know why anyone would complain about the pronoun thing while the game is in this state. Makes it easy for the developers to claim that criticism is politically motivated when in reality the game is horribly optimized and buggy.

Beastro

Arcane
Your ideological crusade is tiresome, especially when you insist on repeatedly bringing it outside of GD where it belongs.

I don't insist on "bringing it outside of GD." In fact, I never do unless the game itself blatantly calls for it. You're completely free to find it tiresome and annoying, but discussion of SJWs is topical and relevant in threads about games that are developed by SJWs and include blatant SJW shoehorning―and for them, it is an actual crusade of religious proportions. If anything, I endeavor to exercise some restraint outside of GD out of respect for the Codex's easily-offended snowflakes.

If you want to blame someone for your annoyance, then you should blame the developers, or possibly yourself for being too disingenuous or agenda-addled to recognize ideological shoehorning for what it is.

>mfw literal Nazis manspread in my thread about a perfectly normal game developed by completely normal people

frajaq

Erudite
let me get this straight, I'm the leader of a mercenary outfit but I'm not allowed to choose a side in the conflict?

what the hell

I now have so many games i have not even played yet that I literally wont be able to play them all before I die.

Isn't that depressing as hell? I try to keep my steam list as tight as possible because of this.
yes, for a number of reasons. One because I am old. Two because I don't have as much free time as I would like (or that I used to)...I used to buy a new game for like 40 bucks back in the early to mid 90's and then play that one game for a few months and repeat...now I buy games when they are on sale for like 75% off, usually between 2-12 dollars and have so many I can't keep track.

I have basically stopped buying them at this point, I have about 80 games I legitimately might like in my collection... and perhaps 70 more on my wish list or coming out over next year or so. I can't ever play all these games. Sort of the same with movies and TV shows too

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
It's a crash fest for me. Bug test our beta would ya? "would you like to send a report to the developer"

I'll check on it again in 3 months or after some optimisation.

ArchAngel

Arcane
let me get this straight, I'm the leader of a mercenary outfit but I'm not allowed to choose a side in the conflict?

what the hell
One side does not need you, other side pays you big bucks to help them. It is not like you really have a choice.
Also the tutorial mission sets it up that you should also be hating the side that does not need you.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
One side does not need you, other side pays you big bucks to help them. It is not like you really have a choice.
Also the tutorial mission sets it up that you should also be hating the side that does not need you.

I wrote this about films and TV shows, but the same principle also applies to games.

I've had it up to here with people who believe that if an in-universe explanation can be concocted (one almost always can), then poor characterization, bad tropes, et cetera are somehow justifiable. The lore of the world is subservient to good characterization and story structure, not the other way around. The lore isn't the foundation; it is built upon a solid foundation.

Writers can make up just about anything they want. The stuff they make up doesn't function as automatic and inviolable justification for design decisions.

If someone doesn't like the idea of playing a mercenary outfit in a railroaded story, that's a valid complaint. The reasons the developers invented for why the player is railroaded are irrelevant.

Bohr

Arcane
Originally you were going to be allowed to work for either side, then it morphed into "you can leave the story missions alone and the restoration will fail, leaving Espinosa as a possible employer in the region", then it changed to the one-track story it is now, with story missions waiting for you until you do them and gating access to the whole map and higher-rated procedural contracts. I guess they wanted to focus all their artists' time on making cinematics for that one story track and ran out of time/money to implement alternative outcomes or a more fully fledged faction system.

Pretty sure an 'open world' mod which immediately opens up the map and frees the varying challenge ratings of the systems from the restrictions of story gating will be very popular, having to play the same story over and over to unlock the full sim game will lose its appeal pretty quickly.

ArchAngel

Arcane

I wrote this about films and TV shows, but the same principle also applies to games.

I've had it up to here with people who believe that if an in-universe explanation can be concocted (one almost always can), then poor characterization, bad tropes, et cetera are somehow justifiable. The lore of the world is subservient to good characterization and story structure, not the other way around. The lore isn't the foundation; it is built upon a solid foundation.

Writers can make up just about anything they want. The stuff they make up doesn't function as automatic and inviolable justification for design decisions.

If someone doesn't like the idea of playing a mercenary outfit in a railroaded story, that's a valid complaint. The reasons the developers invented for why the player is railroaded are irrelevant.
This a Xcom like game so as such you chose a side as soon as you started the game.

Never understood dex's infatuation with nu-shadowrun, those things sucked massive dick, writing and mechanics wise are on the level (if not below) some browser TB games.

Btw, called both inExile and HBS fiasco while most sucked their shovelware up, come at me faggots.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Originally you were going to be allowed to work for either side, then it morphed into "you can leave the story missions alone and the restoration will fail, leaving Espinosa as a possible employer in the region", then it changed to the one-track story it is now, with story missions waiting for you until you do them and gating access to the whole map and higher-rated procedural contracts. I guess they wanted to focus all their artists' time on making cinematics for that one story track and ran out of time/money to implement alternative outcomes or a more fully fledged faction system.

Pretty sure an 'open world' mod which immediately opens up the map and frees the varying challenge ratings of the systems from the restrictions of story gating will be very popular, having to play the same story over and over to unlock the full sim game will lose its appeal pretty quickly.

I'm so incredibly surprised that they cut a fundamentally meaningful player choice in order to save time and manpower.

It's all right though, there's an in-game explanation for it.

Quantomas

Savant
People will say I am a conspiracy theorist

First I wanted to name you "a realist", but then...

but there doesn't have to be any grand plan to make this happen.

You are an optimist.

There is plan, which is clearly orchestrated.

So SJWs and feminists approach the industry by lying to appeal to their self-interest.

No, it doesn't work like this.
Big business can't be deceived, just as whole industry can't be decieved.
It's zealotry, that dismiss profit, all it want is prozelitize, moralize.
But those mouthfoaming zealots just a tool in hands of those who let them off the leash, and grew them in the first place.

Their goal is to vomit their dogma into everyone's mouth, everywhere, at all times; and to a lesser extent they want to ruin men's fun.

It is not. Their goal is to completely pull out white man from the culture, thus meaning death fro them, cultural and literal.
In India there are castes. There is pariah caste - they want white man to be worse than that.

The sad truth is, in a society that has more conflicts, people are more easily manipulated.

boobio

Arcane
Trigger Warning Shitposter
lol its like with Pillars of Eternity and EviLore all over again.

Dbsdrq2V4AAUWwz.jpg:large

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Loading Times And Unexpected Lags: The Game

... seriously, how can a game that doesn't look too special and feature simple geometry take 10x as long to load than a game that has more advanced everything and bigger maps (like Vermintide 2) and also perform significantly worse (almost every shot makes the game lag, on every setting, while I can play Vermintide 2 on highest settings without any problems)?
I mean, what went wrong her-
Made With Unity
Oh, ok.

Seriously, though, it seems as if the graphics are waiting for damage calculations in order to be displayed, causing a lag. Who the hell codes shit like that. Graphics should never wait for gameplay. Use threads, FFS.
Or - as it happens mostly after map load or on new attacks - it seems like assets required for shots are loaded on demand instead of when loading the mission. Oh, dear...

Also, this has to be the worst tutorial in the history of gaming.
I have no idea what half of the UI elements mean/do.
What is S? Structure?
What is A? Armor? How do the two relate? What are their effects, exactly?
Why does the attacking show specific zones, but I cannot click on them? I mean, I can click on them, but it does nothing. I would assume I can aim at specific regions, but.. how?
What are the three arrows next to my health? Is that even health? Is that evasion?
What is the yellow bar under my heat? It goes up when I am attacked, but goes down again after moving... Hmmm.

I guess most of this is second nature to BattleTech veterans, but I am ignorant of the system, so some things should be explained better.

What it did explain was that I should rotate my mechs, stick to cover and attack from behind if possible...
No shit, Sherlock. This isn't my first game :lol:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom