Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BATTLETECH - turn-based mech combat from Harebrained Schemes

Elex

Arbiter
The pronouns shit feels kind of like back in 2012ish when games would have "me gusta" faces and and other meme garbage in them.
"My pronouns are They/Them" is weird internet twitter shit. Its not something people actually do in real life, transexual or otherwise.
Until they somehow find a way to get rid of that Y chromosome, it would be impossible to classify them as female, no matter how many bits they hack off.
maybe they have to salvage 3 parts?

ArchAngel

Arcane
So are there difficulty settings in? How hard is the campaign?

Unlike most of the games including XCOM, campaign start easy and becomes harder and harder.
From what I read it becomes harder only because of possible bugs. Seems missions that have reinforcements start with them already on the map and then both those and main units attack you at same time making them missions of 4 vs 8 or more.

Those are the fun missions. Especially since last time I had one - I got dropped right between assassination target+ defences and reinforces starting point. Contact on first move, fun times have been had.
First time I had to torso twist like mad and for a Jager tha single-handely held off the whole reinforcement lance - eject a pilot after she got 3 head hits (!).

Who would have thought, a bug that brings actual incline.
Is it a bug though? I mean, it seems to happen with such intent, from my experience every time you have lurker reinforcements about they will move in to join the fight the moment any contact is made. I just find it hard to picture it being completely accidental.

Toughest one of these "oh shit that's pretty close deployment" things was this base defense contract where two lances of pirates deployed within firing range of the base in the second stage of the mission after the turrets were turned on and the vanguard was dealt with. Turned into quite a race since almost the entire enemy force focused solely on alpha striking the buildings, only had two of eight left at the end.

EDIT: But really, overall in regards to the level of difficulty the only real answer is really just "personal preference."
It is a bug because at end of these missions your guy will warn you about incoming reinforcements and after just finish the mission because you killed everyone.
In other missions they will warn you about incoming reinforcements and then actually some will show up.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I figured THAT was the bug, I figured Lando was supposed to announce that when the second group is revealed. But shrug, I guess that's how it is.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I dont have any bugs with deployment, idk what you people talk about. Anyone find lightest mechs useless? I mean i thought i could make them good in melee but nope, the damage is too low, albeit the range is great. DFA is useless. Then i've tried them as spotters, but nope, enemies will easily close the range in one turn. Then i've tried to use them as baiters that attrack enemy fire, this is kind of 50/50 wherees i will miss most of the hits, or just downright explode in missile barrage/ppc. Flanking is stupidly bad since the weapons range is minimal on those mechs if you want a decent firewpower, still that's not enough to pierce rear armor and kill the enemy, next round it turn around and murder my little scout. Long range flanking is impossible since most of light mechs cant pack long range weaponry, and the damage output is too small to bring them on missions and have some decent contribution. Any way to decrease initative of enemies beside the morale ability[precise attack or smth like that]?

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Despite all the SJW bs and the crappy intro, that only made me want to join the side of Espinosa, i am enjoying the game quite a lot.
After the 1st campaign missions, the game got tougher and i am enjoying the difficulty. I was winning a conflict quite well and let my guard down. This little vehicle comes along and it was loaded with rockets. It started blasting my main Mech, bringing him from full armor/health to the ground in 1 turn. Maybe i suck, but that was cool. I also lost 2 arms of a Vindicator and had to 2 a couple of missions with more light mechs than i would have wanted to.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
In a 1.5 rated mission I encountered 4 mediums and another lance of 4 light mechs.

After killing a medium and the lights ripping me, I wanted the withdraw but it said that the withdrawal will be in bad faith.
I remember that it said in the written tutorial that you had to kill at leat one mech to be in good faith. WTF!?

A pilot was killed (and lost a bunch of weapons lost) because it didn't cross my mind to eject him. :)

Cael

Arcane
I dont have any bugs with deployment, idk what you people talk about. Anyone find lightest mechs useless? I mean i thought i could make them good in melee but nope, the damage is too low, albeit the range is great. DFA is useless. Then i've tried them as spotters, but nope, enemies will easily close the range in one turn. Then i've tried to use them as baiters that attrack enemy fire, this is kind of 50/50 wherees i will miss most of the hits, or just downright explode in missile barrage/ppc. Flanking is stupidly bad since the weapons range is minimal on those mechs if you want a decent firewpower, still that's not enough to pierce rear armor and kill the enemy, next round it turn around and murder my little scout. Long range flanking is impossible since most of light mechs cant pack long range weaponry, and the damage output is too small to bring them on missions and have some decent contribution. Any way to decrease initative of enemies beside the morale ability[precise attack or smth like that]?
A standard tactic to make light 'mechs even more of a menace than they already are in TT is to rip out every short-range weapon and drop in long-range ones. Then, not only would they be difficult to hit at short range, they now never close to short range and will plink you to death from medium-long range.

I don't know if it would work in this game but the following is fairly standard in my lances:
Locust: Change all weapons to 1x LRM-5 + 1 ton ammo on an arm. With only 1 LRM as your weapon, do I even have to mention that you shouldn't close with the enemy?
Commando: This is not really a speedster but a light brawler, and so can work with its default weaponry. You can rip out both SRM for a PPC, or 1 large laser and 2 mediums for bracket fire. No ammo to explode your MechWarrior.
Spider: Not much you can do with this one. 2 medium lasers doesn't allow for much room to muck around.
Urbanmech: Remove the AC10 for 1x PPC + 4 medium laser + 2 heat sinks for bracket fire. You end up with the same damage at long range (longer than AC10 for extra gravy), and a ton more damage at short. No ammo to explode your MechWarrior.
Jenner: Remove SRM and medium lasers for 1x large laser + 2 jump jets + 1 heat sink. Jump and gun at long range. Not recommended that you take this for defence missions. This is a raider and harasser.
Panther: Take out the SRM for 3 medium lasers. More potential damage at the same range and no ammo to explode your MechWarrior.
Firestarter: Again, swap out the flamers and MGs for a large laser and a medium laser. Your heat problems are instantly over. Treat it as a larger, more heavily armoured jumping big brother to the Commando.

The key to remember is that you have 10 heat to play around with. In light 'mechs, it is not worth going non-energy weapons because you simply do not have the tonnage to shoehorn in enough energy weapons to create a massive heat debt (Firestarter being the only problem child, but that is because it follows the rule of cool instead of the rule of practical). Just play with bracket fire and an all energy config and you should be rocking more damage at all ranges and your MechWarriors would all be safer without all those explosive ammo lying around. As bonus, you don't have to pay for ammo you don't use. Range is your best friend. It may make it hard for you to hit them, but they are certainly having a much harder time hitting you.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
I found lights useful in early game, later on maybe Jenner stays on top due to offensive power.

But as the game moves on and enemies get heavier - a medium is the best light. And the best medium for harasser/skirmisher/general asshole is either a Shadowhawk (preferably -2D for max SRMs + 2 MGs, max JJ) or Kintaro. Put in a Master Tactician and voila! A Light mech.

And honestly, Shadowhawk fitted for SRM spam (considering how easy it is to find +2DMG SRMs) is a beast. I scout/hide , reserve then jump out on damaged mechs, do SRM14 attacks for 140 dmg (all have dmg bonus) + good chunk of stability, then follow up with 2xMGs. Add to that it punches for 85 dmg - so somewhere in the upper range for what heavies punch for.

Fun times are being had.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
A standard tactic to make light 'mechs even more of a menace than they already are in TT is to rip out every short-range weapon and drop in long-range ones. Then, not only would they be difficult to hit at short range, they now never close to short range and will plink you to death from medium-long range.

I don't know if it would work in this game but the following is fairly standard in my lances:
Locust: Change all weapons to 1x LRM-5 + 1 ton ammo on an arm. With only 1 LRM as your weapon, do I even have to mention that you shouldn't close with the enemy?
Commando: This is not really a speedster but a light brawler, and so can work with its default weaponry. You can rip out both SRM for a PPC, or 1 large laser and 2 mediums for bracket fire. No ammo to explode your MechWarrior.
Spider: Not much you can do with this one. 2 medium lasers doesn't allow for much room to muck around.
Urbanmech: Remove the AC10 for 1x PPC + 4 medium laser + 2 heat sinks for bracket fire. You end up with the same damage at long range (longer than AC10 for extra gravy), and a ton more damage at short. No ammo to explode your MechWarrior.
Jenner: Remove SRM and medium lasers for 1x large laser + 2 jump jets + 1 heat sink. Jump and gun at long range. Not recommended that you take this for defence missions. This is a raider and harasser.
Panther: Take out the SRM for 3 medium lasers. More potential damage at the same range and no ammo to explode your MechWarrior.
Firestarter: Again, swap out the flamers and MGs for a large laser and a medium laser. Your heat problems are instantly over. Treat it as a larger, more heavily armoured jumping big brother to the Commando.

The key to remember is that you have 10 heat to play around with. In light 'mechs, it is not worth going non-energy weapons because you simply do not have the tonnage to shoehorn in enough energy weapons to create a massive heat debt (Firestarter being the only problem child, but that is because it follows the rule of cool instead of the rule of practical). Just play with bracket fire and an all energy config and you should be rocking more damage at all ranges and your MechWarriors would all be safer without all those explosive ammo lying around. As bonus, you don't have to pay for ammo you don't use. Range is your best friend. It may make it hard for you to hit them, but they are certainly having a much harder time hitting you.

This is completely useless, since i can only bring 4 mechs on a mission, there's no reason to cripple myself and bring these lightest mechs. My lowest treshold for DMG is 80, below the mech is not worth the effort. Ive theory crafted a small sniper support mech with 4xAC/2 cannons, but i can't find any with 4 ballistic slots. There are medium that can pack 3 ballistics, but why would i bring them, when i can pack a mech with 3 SRMS and have high damage output, low heat, and with jumpjet i can close the distance easily?

Vaarna_Aarne

LRMs are better for sniper job anyway I feel, since they can fire indirectly. And even then I'd bring jump jets to maximize ability to hide behind terrain or flank when opportunity shows up. Really, to me there's just no leaving out jump jets due to the mobility advantage they give.

I found lights useful in early game, later on maybe Jenner stays on top due to offensive power.

But as the game moves on and enemies get heavier - a medium is the best light. And the best medium for harasser/skirmisher/general asshole is either a Shadowhawk (preferably -2D for max SRMs + 2 MGs, max JJ) or Kintaro. Put in a Master Tactician and voila! A Light mech.

And honestly, Shadowhawk fitted for SRM spam (considering how easy it is to find +2DMG SRMs) is a beast. I scout/hide , reserve then jump out on damaged mechs, do SRM14 attacks for 140 dmg (all have dmg bonus) + good chunk of stability, then follow up with 2xMGs. Add to that it punches for 85 dmg - so somewhere in the upper range for what heavies punch for.

Fun times are being had.
I personally went with one Guts/Pilot guy and three Tactics/Gunnery guys as the main lance due to feeling that the Tactics spec bonus was just useful for increasing your initiative average. Really shows its value when the first Heavy fielded is actually a Medium in terms of Initiative.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Yeah.. but missing bulwark is a pain. My tactics scout has none and I praise all the JJ the mech has cause I have to reposition every turn. And with dmg output OpFor has guarded is superior to some evasion + forest.

The issue is that to evade you need to move and have a good spot to move as well. With bulwark you just need one good spot and sit your ass down. Then ocassionaly reposition

agris

Arcane
Patron
holy fucking fuck of the fuck fucking the fuck. the pauses.
shoot, stay still for 5 seconds.
end turn, stay still for 5 seconds.
kill an enemy, stay still for half an hour.
who the hell tested this shit and said "this is fine"? who the hell did? you, you deserve one of the deepest levels of hell. i spent longer frantically clicking and moving and pushing while raging at all these excruciating pauses than actually playing the game.

unity is the 21th century flash, and as such it. must. die.

edit: did i post it in the wrong thread? oh shit, sorry, i didn't notice.
edit 2: no i didn't o_O what's going on?

I'm behind on this thread, but from the paradox forums

Open the audioconstants.json file in the text editor of your choice.

Search for the following values and adjust them as below:

"AttackPreFireDuration" : 0,
"AttackAfterFireDelay" : 0,
"AttackAfterFireDuration" : 0,
"AttackAfterCompletionDuration" : 0,
"audioFadeDuration" : 0,

Vaarna_Aarne

Yeah.. but missing bulwark is a pain. My tactics scout has none and I praise all the JJ the mech has cause I have to reposition every turn. And with dmg output OpFor has guarded is superior to some evasion + forest.

The issue is that to evade you need to move and have a good spot to move as well. With bulwark you just need one good spot and sit your ass down. Then ocassionaly reposition
I've found myself feeling like I need to move pretty much 99% of the time, so I feel like Bulwark is mostly just of use for punch-ups. And I still feel evasion stacks + forest is more durability overall than guarded (usually I use brace anyway to reduce heat once the per turn build up reaches the limit).

But that's just me I guess. I trust the flying circus more than higher effective armor.

Fry

Arcane
No, it's people with pronouns bullshit are living sheltered life.

Whether or not you think they're deluded fantasists, I can personally attest there are real people in the real world who call themselves "non-binary" and go by they/them.

who the hell tested this shit and said "this is fine"? who the hell did? you, you deserve one of the deepest levels of hell. i spent longer frantically clicking and moving and pushing while raging at all these excruciating pauses than actually playing the game.

since when it is my duty to fix somebody else's mess i might have even paid for?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

since when it is my duty to fix somebody else's mess i might have even paid for?

DeepOcean

Arcane
My dream mod:
If I could mod this game, I would cut by 2/3 the salaries of the mechwarriors and double or more the maintenance cost of the mech, light mechs would only cost in terms of maintenence, half or a third of a medium mech, a medium mech would cost monthly half or a third of a heavy mech. Light mech parts would be far cheaper to replace and take alot less time than medium and heavy mechs mech parts to be installed. I would make the random contracts be limited by time, you would have 5 or so days to accept a contract when it is offered as soon as you arrive on a planet, failing into doing so, you will miss the contract and need to travel to another system and wait a period of time, a cooldown, for new contracts to reappear on that system.

It would make sense for you to queue contracts, using cheap replaceable light mechs/medium mechs as the B and C teams on easy and medium difficulty missions, you could have an entire team of light mechs to do B jobs and make them useful to control costs, it should be REALLY expensive, time consuming to repair, so it wouldn't be a good idea in terms of finances to go full firepower. Heavy mechs should only used on REALLY well paying jobs because even if your mech didn't receive serious damage, there is the cost of wear and tear.

Only pilots that actually gone into missions should gain experience to reinforce even more the need to manage an equilibrium of being flexible enough but still have enough firepower to solve the big hard missions, it is strange how pilots that didn't participate on missions level up regardless as it is now.

Right now, the whole managing game while is fun to play with all mech variants, it is quite shallow and brainless. You make way too little meaningful choices as you are inundated with cash and decisions that were to be important were severely dumb down.

This is a byproduct of one difficulty fits all absolute nonsense, with those changes, you could screw yourself up if you took expenses you couldn't afford, what should be of a very real fear on a game with a strategic layer. The way the game works right now, it is very hard to screw yourself up as the game offer you a life line in terms of EXTREMELY lucrative main missions, so the money won't run out.

Why can't you call a reinforcement in case of a battle going bad? You could have a reinforcement point that is far from the main objective and call reinforcements, you could only use this ability once a day, so if you have multiple missions queued, you will only reinforce one. Let's say you need to hold a point but you are having a hard time because there is a lance of mechs going on your way as you are already fighting other mechs, will you call a group of lights or fast mediums because there is no way to reach the objective in time with a heavy? Or you prefer to call the heavies because you need to evacuate your damaged mechs and need something to hold the enemies enough to save your mechs even if it means aborting the mission?

Saving during the contract missions shouldn't be allowed, it facilitates save scumming.

Why not having a recon system? Lets say you have a mission that is for all appearances only a half skull mission but you had the opportunity to buy extra surveillance data that you passed because you were tight on cash and that costed money, but in reality, your employer didn't know the enemy had drop shipped an extra lance that both you and him didn't know about and the true difficulty of the mission is 2 skulls? Are you going to evacuate or try to finish the mission with your light mechs?

Evasion was a mechanic that was supposed to give light mechs a chance but with the way they are fragile, it is only required a few lucky shots to really do massive damage to them and even with the evasion bonus, eventually, they will be really damaged by bigger mechs before they can do anything. I really don't know why they dumbed this down and don't have some kind of torso turning limit to bigger mechs, it should take a medium and a heavy mech, a full turn to turn around, so flanking would make some sense, right now, ALL fucking mechs on the map can move 360 degrees freely and for free on their turns focus firing your light mech, it will die.

Light mechs should occupy the role of infantry, without infantry, tanks can easily be out maneuvered because of their blind spots and slow turning, they should be able to out maneuver bigger mechs at closer range with the bigger mechs needing some lights to keep their flanks. The game is hurt by a lack of interesting flanking maneuvers you can make and you don't have all that many opportunities to feel clever.

It is possible to use light mechs right now, especially the ones with space for PPCs or large lasers, run away, wait in ambush, reserve action, jump jet behind low initiative mechs, snipe them from behind at a decent range while your heavier mechs bulwark on the front, taking the hits, then on your next action, jump jet back behind some cover to avoid the payback. I just don't see much the point of it because the light mech is occupying the space of a medium or heavy mech that can take and deal alot more damage, this really hurt the game.

There isn't much of flexibility, I like when tactics game offer different weapons for different situations and offer really hard tactical choices, what isn't the case on this game, it was obvious to what audience they are pandering.

HBS REALLY under estimate and think little of their audience for this amount of dumb down.

Last edited:

GrainWetski

Arcane
If I could mod this game, I would cut by 2/3 the salaries of the mechwarriors easily doable in notepad and double or more the maintenance cost of the mech easily doable in notepad, light mechs would only cost in terms of maintenence, half or a third of a medium mech, a medium mech would cost monthly half or a third of a heavy mech. Light mech parts would be far cheaper to replace and take alot less time than medium and heavy mechs mech parts to be installed.
I would make the random contracts be limited by time, you would have 5 or so days to accept a contract when it is offered as soon as you arrive on a planet, failing into doing so, you will miss the contract and need to travel to another system and wait a period of time, a cooldown, for new contracts to reappear on that system.
all these are hardcoded, need to do major surgery to the code. some of the above are entirely new mechanics to be introduced.

Only pilots that actually gone into missions should gain experience to reinforce even more the need to manage an equilibrium of being flexible enough but still have enough firepower to solve the big hard missions, it is strange how pilots that didn't participate on missions level up regardless as it is now.
what? pilots that stay home dont gain xp unless you have the training/gym ship upgrades.

Saving during the contract missions shouldn't be allowed, it facilitates save scumming.
agreed but with the buggy mess right now, that might mean redoing a whole mission if you get a crash. some of the story missions can take over an hour to play. highly recommend saving early and often now.

Evasion was a mechanic that was supposed to give light mechs a chance but with the way they are fragile, it is only required a few lucky shots to really do massive damage to them and even with the evasion bonus, eventually, they will be really damaged by bigger mechs before they can do anything. I really don't know why they dumbed this down and don't have some kind of torso turning limit to bigger mechs, it should take a medium and a heavy mech, a full turn to turn around, so flanking would make some sense, right now, ALL fucking mechs on the map can move 360 degrees freely and for free on their turns focus firing your light mech, it will die.
game seems like it was balanced for 4v4 skirmish mode so whatever you save on the light goes into packing more heat on the rest. obv this has issues in campaign setting
HBS REALLY under estimate and think little of their audience for this amount of dumb down.
considering how many reviews there are saying the game is too hard and complex...
Every game is too hard and complex for gamejournos.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
salvage.jpg

Some might consider this a good salvage result.

:kwanzania:

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Refunded it, the reports of the game using stupid amounts of GPU and overheating computers was true for me, I could have cooked eggs on my computer 5 mins into the character creation screen.

Since my gameplay time was under 2 hours and only managed to do a few missions after the tutorial take my very limited first impressions with a grain of salt: i was legit wondering why i was playing a crappier version of front mission 3 all throughout. Like not trying to be edgy here, but if you had a choice between fm3 and BT, why would one EVER pick BT unless you really love heat management?

Between every action taking too long for my liking (disabling cinematic camera doesn't do jack and ain't the problem) and loading times being long (and since GPU usage was maxed and computer was hot, i couldn't even alt tab to log onto the codex to bitch about it) to the point it felt I was looking at loading screens more then actually playing , I felt the time to fun ratio was low and due to waiting a lot was constantly making unfavorable comparisons to fm3.

Maybe the game gets amazing later on when you have more options in how to build and design mechs (obviously the options for me on that front were limited since had to refund before the 2 hour mark so i don't know how crazy it gets later on) but even then i'm skeptical, in fm3 i could combine parts from different mechs and it doesn't seem possible here. Frankly the game would have to be much better optimized and have steam workshop/some decent mods before my interest is reignited.

Yes when people think blonde, they actually really mean brown. And yet they have no problem getting blue or any other atypical hair color right.

Thane Solus

Arcane
This game in this state, makes NU Xcom 1 and 2 masterpieces. The effects, the turn time and mechanics, my god. Its like 4 Indie Team first game. Ill probably have 10 times more fun playing the board game.

How can you praise this garbage? Its like the Dragon Age 2 of the Turn Based games...

The story, the horrible optimization for a crap turn based game (they blame Unity lol, if it was real time with more than 20 active objects on the scene, the GPUs will explode lol). And then to top it all, all politics and sjw shit.

Dont buy even on -75%.

Last edited:

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, there is a red-haired character in the game, though.

He's the insane war criminal who has an irrepressible hatred for the princess.

EDIT: Finished the game. I enjoyed it, I don't regret the purchase, and I'm looking forward to expansion packs.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
Yeah fair enough. Some easy 1-line changes that I've done myself:

- mech permadeath
- start with lights e.g. the Kiva challenge
- half starting cash
- 5 parts to make a new mech, maybe 8?
- make AI critical chance same as player's
- allow the AI to reserve initiative
- allow the AI to not sprint

What are the files / variables, especially for the AI ones? All I've seen is how to change armor by 1 point rather than 5, and the removal of some delays around attacks executing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom