Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BATTLETECH - turn-based mech combat from Harebrained Schemes

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
I found lights useful in early game, later on maybe Jenner stays on top due to offensive power.

But as the game moves on and enemies get heavier - a medium is the best light. And the best medium for harasser/skirmisher/general asshole is either a Shadowhawk (preferably -2D for max SRMs + 2 MGs, max JJ) or Kintaro. Put in a Master Tactician and voila! A Light mech.

Imo, once you have assaults, assault is the best light. With maxed piloting and jumpjets my stalker can get 6 evasion things on sprint and 5 evasion on jump. Though assaults that can fit 4 jumpjets are somewhat better at this, since they have more jump range than a stalker. Btw, jump range with 4 jumpjets for a light and an assault are the same ofc, so battlemaster has the same mobility as orion, centurion and a panther.

I always find very funny the people who consider end game equipment a viable solution.. or theorycraft a character build that sucks balls, but reaches the true potential 2 levels before the game ends and only with that specific one piece of gear that you will find 3/4 in the game. And then it is the boss, has the numbers, the biggest numbers! Seriously guys, the best numbers.

Because that where the most game and fun is, to finally reach the top and unleash your perfect build on the last 2 fights.

Cael

Arcane
I always find very funny the people who consider end game equipment a viable solution.. or theorycraft a character build that sucks balls, but reaches the true potential 2 levels before the game ends and only with that specific one piece of gear that you will find 3/4 in the game. And then it is the boss, has the numbers, the biggest numbers! Seriously guys, the best numbers.

Because that where the most game and fun is, to finally reach the top and unleash your perfect build on the last 2 fights.
Most egregious in DnD builds. Many are the times where someone comes up with a 3.5 build that blooms at level 20. Not bad, if you are playing an Epic game, but you know what? I have only ever played in one of those in all the decades I have played DnD, and that one started at level 1...

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
excuse me noble sirs, i'm a bit late to the party, but i nevertheless have a significant question

is there

any way at all

to speed up

the fucking

animations
Multitask and alt tab to read a book while those animations run. 40 hours into the game and I finished reading the second Hyperion book, no joke.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Darth Roxor you can make attacks resolve faster by removing all the audio delays associated with them. in audioconstants.json (data\streaming\data\constants) change all these values to 0

Code:
   "AttackPreFireDuration" : 1,
   "AttackAfterFireDelay" : 0.5,
   "AttackAfterFireDuration" : 1,
   "AttackAfterCompletionDuration" : 2,
   "audioFadeDuration" : 2.5,

Darth Roxor you can make attacks resolve faster by removing all the audio delays associated with them. in audioconstants.json (data\streaming\data\constants) change all these values to 0

Code:
   "AttackPreFireDuration" : 1,
   "AttackAfterFireDelay" : 0.5,
   "AttackAfterFireDuration" : 1,
   "AttackAfterCompletionDuration" : 2,
   "audioFadeDuration" : 2.5,
and it's still nowhere near being bearable.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/heres-an-easy-way-to-speed-up-battletech-battles/

How to speed up BattleTech battles
Debug mode helps those mechs move faster.

BattleTech is a great tactical mech combat game, but it can be quite a time sink. You can turn off cinematics and follow cameras in the settings menu to help skip between turns more quickly, but it can still take a while to move through a typical engagement. Sometimes I just want to rattle through a mission, grab my salvage, and fly to the next system.

Reddit user mruts has a good solution that uses Battletech's debug mode to quintuple mech movement speed. There are other solutions that involve using CheatEngine and modifying text in the file structure, but they tend to affect the game logic, and not just the movement speed of the mechs. The debug console also lets you toggle the speed boost back to normal at any point.

To enable debug mode in BattleTech I followed Redditor wolf-grey's method. You simply create a text document in notepad, paste the following text, and save the doc as Battletechdebug.reg

-----------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH] "last_debug_state_h176629417"=dword:00000001

-----------------------

Then you double-click the saved file, launch Battletech and press control, shift and the minus key at the same time in battle to summon a little debug menu at the top left of the screen. Click on the 'speed' button to activate 5x mech speed, and then press control, shift and minus again to get rid of the debug menu.

Here are the results.

Wolf-grey lists this as a solution for Windows 10 users, but I'm using Windows 7 on this PC and it works fine. You can find an alternative method at the top of the reddit post.

I've tested it a bit in campaign and skirmish and haven't had any ill effects, but all the usual caveats apply. Back up your save games just in case, there might be unforeseen problems with any tweak you make like this. Also, I haven't tested it in multiplayer either and would expect speed mods to mess with multiplayer synchronicity.

I'd love to see the developers add a quickplay option to let us speed up the game using dev-sanctioned methods, but until that, or modders produce the definitive speed mod, this should hopefully help.

Alpharius

Scholar
I found lights useful in early game, later on maybe Jenner stays on top due to offensive power.

But as the game moves on and enemies get heavier - a medium is the best light. And the best medium for harasser/skirmisher/general asshole is either a Shadowhawk (preferably -2D for max SRMs + 2 MGs, max JJ) or Kintaro. Put in a Master Tactician and voila! A Light mech.

Imo, once you have assaults, assault is the best light. With maxed piloting and jumpjets my stalker can get 6 evasion things on sprint and 5 evasion on jump. Though assaults that can fit 4 jumpjets are somewhat better at this, since they have more jump range than a stalker. Btw, jump range with 4 jumpjets for a light and an assault are the same ofc, so battlemaster has the same mobility as orion, centurion and a panther.

Erm, WAT? :what:

You can always place maximum number of jumpjets on any mech, and your scout mechwarrior should have high piloting skill right at the beginning of the game. The +1 evasion thing that Dekker has in the miner mission is good enough to make jumping with 4 jumpjets generate 4 evasion. And you can put 4 jumpjets on most mechs in the game: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DlFtZXxF-62ovX0FM9n0zs4_TRAJX1GhjBIn4DZPYXY/

So assault scout mech > heavy scout mech > medium scout mech > light scout mech during the whole game.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I just don't see the hate. 2 hours of run time and it's using 3 GB of ram. Yeah, there is a slow memory leak, but the game isn't bad, it's actually enjoyable. I wish we could see the numbers behind a lot of things, the UI need works, the save system is dumb and causes the game to lag, but the core loop of the game is enjoyable.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I just don't see the hate. 2 hours of run time and it's using 3 GB of ram. Yeah, there is a slow memory leak, but the game isn't bad, it's actually enjoyable. I wish we could see the numbers behind a lot of things, the UI need works, the save system is dumb and causes the game to lag, but the core loop of the game is enjoyable.
2 hours is like beating the tutorial missions.

agris

Arcane
Patron
2 hours is like beating the tutorial missions.
No my man, you misunderstand. The two hours is in reference to the memory consumption due to memory leaks, it's to illustrate the relative magnitude of it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom