Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BATTLETECH - turn-based mech combat from Harebrained Schemes

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Remember the Mech Packs they sold for Mercs tho?

they too were for mw4, and in the beginning didn't even work with mercs because of retarded copy protection systems.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I bought flashpoint for $18. Decided against saving an amazing $4 with the season pass.

Cael

Arcane

Out of all the happy, smiling faces looking directly at the camera, only one tries to lower his face and look menacing as though it somehow raises his "kewl" factor instead of his fucktard asshole factor.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Some Jap (or just someone proficient in heathen moon runes) already made the perfect UrbanMech costume look, so the only matter is the level of effort and logistics (I mean, we are talking about a bulky and easily damaged costume) needed.

EEscqUS.jpg

You'd be rad showing up like this.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Isn't this what happened with MW4? Vengeance and Black Knight were all about the story, and then Mercenary came out and gave a few enjoyable merc options about selecting different missions and serving different factions.

Bought the season pack. I'm weak, but I figure it'll give me something to play while I wait until 2020 for Kingmaker to be fully patched.

Edit: I only post in this subforum to collect enraged reactions. :P

I might do this, but it sounds like they calculated it incorrectly or else the saving is miniscule. They say that the Season Pass provides the 3 expansion packs at a reduced price, but the thing costs 50 dollars. Flashpoint costs 18 dollars (release sale), and I assume the other 2 will be priced similarly. So... 54 dollars?

If all I'm doing is saving 4 dollars, fuck that. For all I know, HBS's interest in SJW politics will develop into full blown aids and they'll cancel the last expansions because robots are racist or something.

When they announced it, it was on sale for $39. Given the individual DLC costs, and the likelihood I'd buy them all, it was a good savings and worth me buying it then. Agreed that without a sale, there's no reason to buy the season pass instead of waiting for each of the individual DLCs.
The problem is that if the DLC sales fall too low behind expectations, they will just churn out barebones DLC to "fulfill" their part of the contract, like they did with Civ 6 (that said, Paradox probably cannot really afford this kind of move given that DLC mush be a large part of their income).
Blind purchases of yet to be announced DLC seems even worse than game pre order, as at least, you have an idea about what you buy with pre order.
Of course, if the discount was significant, it would be very different, but for a 10% discount? that doesn't seem worth the risk (of getting a DLC I am not interested at all) to me.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Isn't this what happened with MW4? Vengeance and Black Knight were all about the story, and then Mercenary came out and gave a few enjoyable merc options about selecting different missions and serving different factions.

Bought the season pack. I'm weak, but I figure it'll give me something to play while I wait until 2020 for Kingmaker to be fully patched.

Edit: I only post in this subforum to collect enraged reactions. :P

I might do this, but it sounds like they calculated it incorrectly or else the saving is miniscule. They say that the Season Pass provides the 3 expansion packs at a reduced price, but the thing costs 50 dollars. Flashpoint costs 18 dollars (release sale), and I assume the other 2 will be priced similarly. So... 54 dollars?

If all I'm doing is saving 4 dollars, fuck that. For all I know, HBS's interest in SJW politics will develop into full blown aids and they'll cancel the last expansions because robots are racist or something.

When they announced it, it was on sale for $39. Given the individual DLC costs, and the likelihood I'd buy them all, it was a good savings and worth me buying it then. Agreed that without a sale, there's no reason to buy the season pass instead of waiting for each of the individual DLCs.
The problem is that if the DLC sales fall too low behind expectations, they will just churn out barebones DLC to "fulfill" their part of the contract, like they did with Civ 6 (that said, Paradox probably cannot really afford this kind of move given that DLC mush be a large part of their income).
Blind purchases of yet to be announced DLC seems even worse than game pre order, as at least, you have an idea about what you buy with pre order.
Of course, if the discount was significant, it would be very different, but for a 10% discount? that doesn't seem worth the risk (of getting a DLC I am not interested at all) to me.

Obviously, everyone can and should make their own financial decisions. I had the money, enjoyed the base game, and didn't mind putting it down ahead of time. If they screw me on it, that will just impact my decision on future purchases.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Obviously, everyone can and should make their own financial decisions. I had the money, enjoyed the base game, and didn't mind putting it down ahead of time. If they screw me on it, that will just impact my decision on future purchases.
No problem with purchasing whatever you like, but my point was just that it was a rather risky "investment" to purchase it now given that you'd get at best a 8% RoI (over 1.5-2 years) compared to purchasing every expansion separately.
But the launch discount makes things very different from the financial point of view (20% instead of 8%), so it makes sense in your case, but for those who missed the launch discount, this seems rather unappealing.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
No problem with purchasing whatever you like, but my point was just that it was a rather risky "investment" to purchase it now given that you'd get at best a 8% RoI (over 1.5-2 years) compared to purchasing every expansion separately.
But the launch discount makes things very different from the financial point of view (20% instead of 8%), so it makes sense in your case, but for those who missed the launch discount, this seems rather unappealing.

Totally.

That said, when we start talking RoI on $39, I start to wonder how wide the economic spread is here. That's a dinner out at a middling place here in western us, not the sort of economic decision that you run models for. :D

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I find it very hard to evaluate the state of each mech (ie internal and armor damage) in the game. I also dislike the damage model, but it is similar to the one used in the TT (that said, I already disliked it in the TT! I don't think ablative armor is a good combat model for mech combats.)
Also, I didn't imagine the loading times would really be a throwback to the Atari/Amiga era of gaming.

Which difficulty settings would you recommend to make the campaign interesting (ie more parts to reform mechs? no weapon on reconstruction?)?

PorkBarrellGuy

I find it very hard to evaluate the state of each mech (ie internal and armor damage) in the game.

Somehow it isn't surprising that HBS did not opt for HTAL display, which is many times better than vague paperdoll shit

Cael

Arcane
I find it very hard to evaluate the state of each mech (ie internal and armor damage) in the game. I also dislike the damage model, but it is similar to the one used in the TT (that said, I already disliked it in the TT! I don't think ablative armor is a good combat model for mech combats.)
Also, I didn't imagine the loading times would really be a throwback to the Atari/Amiga era of gaming.

Which difficulty settings would you recommend to make the campaign interesting (ie more parts to reform mechs? no weapon on reconstruction?)?
None. There is no setting that gives no weapon on reconstruction. They took the easy way out and just gave you a brand new 'mech. It is very obvious when you fight bog-standard 'mechs and end up with uber shit that is stronger than LosTech.

You might as well play DnD, fight goblins and roll up a +4 sword as loot. At level 1.

Shit game for dumbfucks.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Shit game for dumbfucks.

This is the type of game that can only attract ignoramuses.

What they really want is to see cool mech graphics and shiny laser beams on their com-pu-tar. If they actually gave a fuck about BattleTech, guess what? It still exists! You can even play it online versus actual people using your choice of tools, for instance Tabletop Simulator, which has a load of 3D hex battlefields, armies of 3D and pre-"painted" mech figurines, and all related paraphernalia ready to go. For a low-tech option, there's MegaMek.

Playing this game is the absolute definition of casual. Enthusiasts have opted for watered-down garbage because muh graphics and no need to find people (the horror) to play real BattleTech with, or else because they had nothing better to do. It sure as shit couldn't have been for the amazing strategy gameplay, faithfulness to source material, a good story and characters, etc.

A BattleTech game is only worth playing if it's actually good.

This game could still have been worthwhile if it had a good campaign (and didn't have all the bad design choices). MegaMek can let you play, but it doesn't give you a campaign with a story and progression and an economy and well designed unique missions. Just the campaign in this game sucks, so you don't get them here either.

Cael

Arcane
This game could still have been worthwhile if it had a good campaign (and didn't have all the bad design choices). MegaMek can let you play, but it doesn't give you a campaign with a story and progression and an economy and well designed unique missions. Just the campaign in this game sucks, so you don't get them here either.
This game doesn't have an economy either.

Yeah, I was meaning to say you didn't get any of those things. Though maybe the devs have realised the campaign sucks too, since the new patch is going to have a mode which disables it and just has you play randomly generated missions. But the randomly generated missions aren't really very fun either, so I'm not sure why anyone would bother with that.

Cael

Arcane
Yeah, I was meaning to say you didn't get any of those things. Though maybe the devs have realised the campaign sucks too, since the new patch is going to have a mode which disables it and just has you play randomly generated missions. But the randomly generated missions aren't really very fun either, so I'm not sure why anyone would bother with that.
Randomly generated missions was one of the dumbest thing you can do with a Battletech game. You only have so many different chassis and variants and so many random maps. People will experience them all very quickly. After that, it is all tedious repetitions.

Games like BTech requires crafted encounters, set-ups and scenarios. Individual maps, a campaign, and the like. Much like what Mechcommander did. That is what keeps the game interesting as you will basically be facing the same foes over and over again. You need to make sure those foes come in different combinations and tactical considerations.

Of course, HBS is a fucking screwed up pack of monkeys banging away at a typewriter, and so they predictably went for the easiest and laziest "campaign" style. What a bullshit company.

Bohr

Arcane
Mitch Gitelman dev diary in the run up to the expansion:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...eveloper-diaries-7-a-day-in-the-life.1129897/
Dear Diary,

Today I helped a bunch of talented and dedicated game developers solve a dozen little problems and one or two big problems. The rest of my day was spent like it always is - a bunch of small moments on a variety of topics.

• I met with our morning triage team to talk about the state of the game and the bugs that were logged last night. I try and read the bug report before I leave the house so I know what I’m getting into and don’t react emotionally in the meeting. No one wants to meet with a grumpy little man for their first meeting of the day.
  • I fist-bumped Andrew while testing the game because I loved his word choices in a scene he wrote for the [REDACTED] flashpoint. Writing is rewriting and I love how Andrew’s stuff gets better and better with more “swings of the bat”.
  • I sat with my headphones on and tried to imagine what it would feel like for different types of players to begin the expansion and Update 1.3. If you’re someone who wants to see new stuff right away, load up your post-campaign save game and go to town. But if you enjoy the antici…
  • ...pation, then start a new career and earn your way through some really challenging chained missions.
  • I checked the forums looking for questions that needed answering and issues that required clarification. Like a moron, I often do this at night and on the weekends and end up working instead of resting. I’d like to say I’ll get better at that but I don’t want to be a liar.
  • I hung out with Pro, our new Producer for updates and expansion, and chatted about BT lore for a few minutes (he knows his stuff). Very excited to have Pro on the team - we’re already talking about new things we can do to improve our processes.
  • I watched a draft of our official release trailer and discussed ways to improve it with McCain. Our trailers are driven by Paradox who hire external groups to create them. Mike and I make sure they’re accurate, prioritize the right information, and maintain the “BT feel”.
  • I discussed two great IT candidates with our hiring team. In a smallish studio like ours, we have to be very careful about each person we hire. It’s kinda like dropping a pebble into a still pond - you want to be sure you understand what each splash or ripple is gonna be.
  • I conspired with Jordan about plans for #Mech_Con2018. One of the highlights of the year for both of us is hanging out with BattleTech fans. They wind us up so we can jump back to work like the energizer bunny.
  • I giggled as I struggled to keep my mercenary company afloat during in my organic ironman career mode playthrough. Note to self, Diary - Struggle hones skill. Struggle hones skill. Struggle hones skill.
  • And I smiled to myself as I walked out the door after a long day because I feel so lucky.
Make no mistake, Diary - game development is ridiculously hard and often incredibly stressful and I’ve worked my ass off for over 25 years for the opportunity to *be* this lucky but it’s cool to be here, in my 50s, leading a team making BattleTech games again. I feel like I’ve come full circle - it was MechCommander that turned me into a game developer in the first place. I’d shipped several games in various genres and complexities before coming to FASA Interactive in the late 90s but I’d never been on a project of its size or complexity - or with a history like BattleTech’s. It was like walking into another world, and there were times I thought it would break me. Turns out, I’ve had that “Holy crap, how are we ever gonna do this?” experience over and over in my little career and it's something I’ve now come to anticipate - thus the tattoo on my left arm. But MechCommander was my first exposure to it and it holds a special place in my heart.

index.php

So given the challenges and stresses of the gig, why do I feel lucky? Because I get to build on the terrific foundation that Mike McCain established directing BATTLETECH. I learned a lot from him while shipping the game and I’m excited to take on the role for myself adding those lessons to my own experiences making games. Not only that, I get to practice my ever-evolving craft alongside Mike, Jordan, and hand-picked group of passionate, collaborative, smart, and talented folks who I enjoy seeing every day. This may be the happiest I’ve ever been in game development. No joke.

index.php

index.php

I hope everyone enjoys Flashpoint and Update 1.3. We’re excited for folks to play it, to learn from their experiences, and to continue improving and expanding BATTLETECH next year. The team is already working on ideas for Update 1.4 and next summer’s Urban Warfare expansion and we’re itching to dive in.

I guess it's true, Diary: In success, all things are possible, eh?

Mitch

I know Cael will be saving that last pic for a wallpaper or something :shittydog:

PorkBarrellGuy

What really fucking gets me is that, in a universe as full of crazy/retarded/cool shit as Battletech's, HBS' Battletech campaign was the best they could come up with. A synopsis of it seriously reads like something off of Fanfiction.net.

EDIT: Seriously, you want to know how crap-ola it is? I've seen better BT stories on SomethingAwful's old BT thread. We're talking goons who were basically just kind of winging a revisionist-history version of BT, and they were doing a pretty decent job compared to HBS.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom