Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BATTLETECH - turn-based mech combat from Harebrained Schemes

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I gave it a shot recently and it makes the game a hundred times better. They removed the campaign and expanded the map, now you can play a merc outfit and travel all the way to the clans if you want. Mechlab works different as well, you can equip different engines, armor/internal structure etc. Equipment is now way more important then tonnage.

This is some impressive moddability.

People who automatically assume "Unity = no modding" should make themselves aware of this.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
That sounds impressive, does it avoid the overhaul mod trap where the modder adds lots of really stupid shit on top of the good changes?

edit: I see it's got BFG 9000, my hopes are dwindling.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well you can disable most "bonus" content in the setup, but that mech with the bfg9000 is a rare mech you dont find often. Most of the additional stuff is really cool, especially all the pirate weapons and parts.

Trithne

Erudite
That sounds impressive, does it avoid the overhaul mod trap where the modder adds lots of really stupid shit on top of the good changes?

edit: I see it's got BFG 9000, my hopes are dwindling.

No. It just adds shit all over the place.

Ivan

Arcane
So I'm pretty so-so with this. The combat was pretty fun, and playing around with loadouts is cool too, but the navigation got SUPER boring. That fucking unskippable cutscene when traveling almost put me to sleep. Performance was pretty bad overall and it looks pretty shitty. Story and characters are barebones and the overall presentation was lackluster.

Losing mates and dealing with damaged mechs was cool though. I may check back in once the mods get fleshed out or when all the DLC is done.

Codex Year of the Donut
What's the reason this game has 7k reviews on Steam?
I played it at launch and it was pretty shit. Did they release a lot of patches or something?

Codex Year of the Donut
I gave it a shot recently and it makes the game a hundred times better. They removed the campaign and expanded the map, now you can play a merc outfit and travel all the way to the clans if you want. Mechlab works different as well, you can equip different engines, armor/internal structure etc. Equipment is now way more important then tonnage.

People who automatically assume "Unity = no modding" should make themselves aware of this.
unity games are some of the easiest games to mod
the entire 'game' is distributed as a single .NET dynamic library. Hooking into & decompiling a .NET binary is trivial.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

unity games are some of the easiest games to mod
the entire 'game' is distributed as a single .NET dynamic library. Hooking into & decompiling a .NET binary is trivial.
Yes and no.... it is easy to make a single mod for it in that way.
However, true moddability means having an actual structure in place for multiple mods, load order management, etc.
That's not really easy to pull off with Unity (or most other engines), at least not easier than with most other games.

Olinser

Savant
Album of the year? What?

I mean I enjoyed the game for what it was (although I was disappointed in the amount of content and highly limited customization), but the music? I literally don't even remember the music, which is not a good sign if you're claiming it's good enough for 'Album of the Year'.

Cael

Arcane
Still time to vote, Cael :salute:

For the cinematic music alone, I would vote for it. I have said many times: The opening cinematic was very well done and kudos to the music arranger. The game itself, however, is a pile of cow shit garnished with dog vomit.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech/posts/2402598

LIVE - BATTLETECH 1.4.0 Release Notes: The One with Localization! And the 4th Novella!
Posted by Harebrained Schemes LLC (Creator)

Welcome to BATTLETECH 1.4! This release contains a number of quality-of-life improvements and bug fixes, as well as the official localized releases of BATTLETECH in French, German, and Russian. We have also improved performance for saving and loading games.

A few things to note about localization:
  • If you switch to a different language and it isn’t showing up on screen, back out to the main menu so that the language pack can refresh.
  • There is no noun declension in procedurally generated contracts.
  • BattleMech names are consistently not translated, as consistent with other BATTLETECH translations.
To read through the full Release Notes, pop on over to the Paradox BATTLETECH Forum.

IMPORTANT: Additional note for players who mod various game files… Reminder that modding is not officially supported. If you have saved a game with any mod active, that saved game will not work after an update has been applied unless you replace all modded files exactly as they were when the save game file was created. Saved games require the exact same data state in order to function properly.

As always, if you experience further issues please contact Customer Support at: https://support.paradoxplaza.com

Final BATTLETECH Novella Available!
High Command is also pleased to announce the fourth and final in a series of four linked digital novellas by Mike Stackpole is now available for Backers at the $50 MechWarrior level and above.

4f0c18ee7e835456d9328c3318a446e2_original.jpg

You’ll find a file including the pdf, mobi, and epub versions to download when you hit “Get My Digital Rewards” in your BackerKit account. It can take a little time for the files to populate to everyone's account so please check back in a couple hours if you don't see the files right away.

We hope you enjoy our latest BATTLETECH update and the novella!

-- HBS

Olinser

Savant
Are they going to actually sell it to non-backers? I had heard they were considering it but never heard any concrete information.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I feel that between this and Bard's Tale 4 that people are shitting on my childhood.

I guess my only hope is that Disney buys these. It moderately worked for Star Wars.

And...Battltetech land with update simulators like back in the day would be pretty fucking sweet.

Olinser

Savant
You can always check out Mechwarrior 5.

The release date got pushed back, but its scheduled for September this year.

Still time to vote, Cael :salute:

For the cinematic music alone, I would vote for it. I have said many times: The opening cinematic was very well done and kudos to the music arranger. The game itself, however, is a pile of cow shit garnished with dog vomit.

the opening *strongly* reminds me of an '80s song whose title i can't focus on, so careful with the praising.

edit: no, wait, i meant the menu theme. the opening song is just generic stuff #245423

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
so... did they patched out those docking movies?
Not when I last played. Honestly, I think that is done to cover up some loading time.
Who knows what loading, though, because it only takes you to another background with the usual menu on top - and any mission on that location will have its own loading anyway...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom