Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter BATTLETECH - turn-based mech combat from Harebrained Schemes - now with Flashpoint DLC

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by Infinitron, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Bohr Arcane

Bohr
    "The Paradox of Choice"... cosmetic skin

• hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Trithne Augur

Trithne
    It's not even a good skin, plus you can barely see shit when it comes to mech customisation.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. PanteraNera Erudite

PanteraNera
    Hahahaha, ha ha, ha HAHAHA, BWAHAHAHA

Honestly I really liked HBS for Shadowrun (mostly Dragonfall) and hoping they would improve.

BWAHAHAHA

• Despair Despair x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Bohr Arcane

Bohr
    :M

• decline decline x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Yeah, Kickstarter backers get that DLC for free. I already own it.

• cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Bohr Arcane

Bohr
    I think Paradox have just been biding their time, waiting for people to forget what HBS said on the subject, before reverting to their usual approach (in addition to the below pretty sure Mitch insisted they would never 'sell mech skins'). This is probably just testing the waters

[​IMG]

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Ah, yes. The legendary Shadow Hawk. A 'mech so great no one wants it in their lance. 55 tons of pure uselessness. Give me a Vindicator over a SHawk any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Elim Savant

Elim
    Project: Eternity
    So, is the DLC worth to get? Haven't played in a while.

^ Top  
  9. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    I dunno, didn't really seem like that to me since it doesn't change the tonnage scaling problem and on paper really just reinforces it thanks to the new multi-stage jobs meaning ability to withstand attrition reigns supreme.

I haven't got it, or played it, mostly because it just didn't have anything to pique my interest. Doing an expac around the procgen stuff just isn't interesting to me.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Bohr Arcane

Bohr
    On the other hand, it is spring...

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Chippy Learned

Chippy
    I backed this, then read about it being shit, and can't even be bothered/remember how to reclaim my key. Fucking decline. Waiting for MW5 - if that's good, I'm hoping the entusiasm from that game might bleed into this title...

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. GreyViper Arbiter

GreyViper
    It's worth playing with RogueTech, then it becomes the game you backed for.
    https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/79
    Edit. I guess I should explain more. It removes the campaign and tedious tutorial system and gives you the whole map with Clan sectors to play with. Depending what planet you start at, you get different starting mechs. But the most important change I noticed, is that you can build good mele gladiator mechs using pirate tech.
    Speaking of pirates, they have some of the amusing makeshift weapons that can do tons of damage but there is 5% it will blow up (think Orkz).
    So yeah think the base game as platform and RogueTech as the main game.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    ^ Top  
  13. Chippy Learned

Chippy
    Awesome, thanks. I suppose it was up to the community to refurbish this game into something playable.

^ Top  
  14. Who Cares Educated

Who Cares
    Worth noting that RogueTech somehow chops the FPS in half whenever full UI is on screen, and the base game doesn't run too well to begin with. Can't imagine it's playable for someone without a GTX 970 at the very least.

^ Top  
  15. Chippy Learned

Chippy
    Yeah, I do need to upgrade my vid card (amd5870) 1GB ram. Kinda embarassing when a game like Warhammer: Spacehulk catched my eye and it's recommending 4GB vid cards.

^ Top  
  16. That Damn Dog Arcane

That Damn Dog
    I mean, yeah, Vindy is better than pretty much every Shitty Hawk variant I can think of but that's not hard to do.

^ Top  
  17. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    My pet theory is that it got the skin just to stick it a little to Harmony Gold for all the good times.

(Though if they'd really wanted to do that to full effect, should have been Phoenix Hawk, though I guess they might be a bit paranoid about that even on Piranha's end; Shadow Hawk is by far one of the safest in terms of the Unseen reseen looks because Dougram is ancient history)

^ Top  
  18. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    For 10tons less weight.

^ Top  
  19. That Damn Dog Arcane

That Damn Dog
    I honestly think there are a number of lights that would fucking brutalize a Shadow Hawk. For mediums I think the only generalist I really ever liked was the Centurion. Are battlefield conditions suitable for close-range brawlers? Hunchback will fucking wreck anything in front of it. Long-range scenario? Trebuchets, Whitworths, Dervishes, Blackjacks, Vindicators, take your fucking pick. Need a good hit-and-run medium? Starslayer, Crab.

^ Top  
  20. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    It depends on the terrain. In an open terrain, a Jenner would do quite a bit of damage on the SHawk. In a city, the Panther, Urbie or Commando would give it a good hiding.

As for mediums, just about any medium would level it. Good mediums include Vindicator, Starslayer (this is a Star League design, though), Marik version of the Wolverine (probably the best 3025-era medium), Crab (another Star League design), Dervish, Enforcer, Centurion, PHawk. Both the Enforcer and the Centurion would demolish a SHawk pretty quick at medium range.

I don't particularly like the Hunchback, iconic though it is. It doesn't really have enough ammo for the AC20 for my liking and that thing's range is far too limited for the amount of ammo it does have. Then again, I am a range fiend, so I tend not to like short-ranged 'mechs, especially slow short-ranged 'mechs.

^ Top  
  21. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    that awkward moment when you finally get to try the fabled roguetech and you find out the game is still slow and sluggish as shit and also you meet the "turn frozen" bug on the first mission.

^ Top  
  22. That Damn Dog Arcane

That Damn Dog
    Hunchie 4G is a little short on battlefield longevity compared to some other mediums, but I think unless you are badly outnumbered it will manage. Of course you could just take a 4P and fuck everything that looks at you crosseyed right the hell up. 4H will do a decent job as well and handles mid-range engagements a bit better. 4J does alright as part of a fire support lance. 4N is kind of meh, and 4SP is a bit of an also ran though it's still better than a fucking Shawk.

^ Top  
  23. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Range is a problem for the Hunchback generally. 4H and 4J is OK in that regard, but, again, ballistic weaponry means that you would want to wait until the enemy is much nearer before opening fire to conserve ammo.

I actually prefer the SP over the P because of inferno rounds. Drop a few of those babies on an enemy and he is pretty much fucked in the 3025-era. Then you switch to the normal rounds. I agree that P is one of the best of the lot due to the all laser config and the volley-fire build. For a 50-tonner, though, I'd stick with the Centurion or the Enforcer, rather than the Hunchie. Or the Starslayer if I can get my hands on one on 3025.

^ Top  
  24. That Damn Dog Arcane

That Damn Dog
    Starslayer is an absolutely fantastic robot with the caveat that those 11 DHS have their work cut out for them in a pitched fight. Most of the old TRO artwork for it looks really bad, though.

There are later Hunchie variants that are SHOCKINGLY brutal-sounding. There's one that manages to wedge an LB20X AC in with a damn 300XL (must be using critsplitting rules). Certainly a bit more fragile but an LB20X that can close to optimum that fast is fucking scary.

Lostech turns the Hunchie into an absolute monster.

^ Top  
  25. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    You always could split crits between the torso and associated arm for big autocannons and things like the Arrow IV. That was in the original rules.

There are reasons why the Gargoyle/Man o War is so scary. A massive autocannon married to a massive engine slaved to a MASC. In an assault grade 'mech.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)