Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BATTLETECH - turn-based mech combat from Harebrained Schemes

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
There is literally nothing "SJW" after the first 2-3 missions, apart from the famous "THEY" that triggers all the incels.
Get called "triggered incel" by JimmyBoy here,well sure,nice jab mate.
Then i read this.

They are not ugly for sure though, what a load of bullshit
41.png

Calling those creatures of the night beautiful.......and i thought that i have weird taste in women.

*Oh the one claiming its "sjw" is the famous bulgarian edgelord. Whatever :lol::lol:
Soooo i have achieved stardom.
Will:updatedmytxt: now.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So game is shit or not ? Can't seem to get codex consensus over last few pages

The turn based combat is extremely good, or will be once I get past the tutorial levels, but definitely missing a few settings to skip animations to make turns go faster.

It doesn't have the "feel" Xcom did on day 1 rolling over turns, but the actual combat seems very tactical and well done. The initiative system in particular is a thing of beauty.

But haven't had time to get into the strategic view, and can confirm true tactical enthusiasts will be triggered by the shallow as fuck difficulty curve and the lack of settings.

tl;dr ignore all that, do not buy in current state unless super deprived of games to play it's buggy as shit and I've had multiple crashes. God forbid you don't manually save at the start of every turn because there's no autosaves and the game's a time bomb every time you load a mission.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
I moved away from them ASAP.

Lost a pilot (RIP, black dude whose name I forgot) to a CT kill on an otherwise untouched Spider. Their higher initiative didn't do shit to make them a better option. Panthers can be assholes, though, with tougher-than-you'd-expect armour and a PPC that will ruin your day.

At some point, I figured out that it was way more efficient going straight into melee vs light mechs, when compared to pew-pewing them. My Centurion 1HKOs them effortlessly. Save yourselves ammo, heat and multiple turns wailing on some hapless Jenner that just refuses to die.

As an aside, is there any sort of Mechwarrior memorial list? Can't find anything like it on the Leopard.

Lastly, as soon as I saw the pronouns thing, my thoughts went to the Codex, where I knew there would be blood and fury over the affront.

:lol:

EDIT:

Oh, and if you rock the light mechs, the AI is actually fairly vicious about going after your lightest/weakest/most damaged mech. It will also happily concentrate fire on a single target until the sweat starts beading upon your brow.

ArchAngel

Arcane
One of the things UI in the game really lacks is a way to inspect any visible target on the battlefield. Currently you can only inspect targets that your currently selected mech can shoot at. Not even those revealed by others and within move and shoot of your currently selected mech. It is really stupid.

EDIT: Also I have not seen a way to know how your weapon hit chance will change based on your movement. This gets especially irritating when your Mech is a combination of lower range and higher range weapons. It does not help that weapons with same range descriptions don't actually have same range. Currently it is all a big guessing game.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
are light mechs of any use besides canon fodder in this game?

Yes, they break evasion with the lock on ability, are hard to kill with 4 evasion ticks, and spot for indirect fire.

Useful in some strategies but I doubt they will be meta in the multiplayer.

Also lul someone outright flaming unity for being a single threaded engine in 2018 like it absolutely deserves.

Bohr

Arcane
Firestarter and Ace Pilot is a combo I expect to see often in the multiplayer though.

Big Wrangle

Don't worry guys they're probably gonna make BattleTech Dragonfall after a couple of years to better acclaim.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jimmious and Agesilaus, you guys don't find the animations way too slow like the RPS review?

I'm tempted to try this, but I have a pretty low opinion of the HBS Shadowrun games. How would you compare BT to them quality-wise?

I don't mind the animations, but perhaps that's because I turned off all the camera effects. If I had to play the game with the camera constantly sweeping around the battlefield like a movie then yes, I'd be annoyed. I don't think the animations are too slow, but I guess if you have a lot of enemies on screen you do just want them to hurry up. The shooting animation is very quick and it keeps your attention because you want to see what hits.

I'm enjoying the game a lot, and I can tell it has a lot of hours left in it. After playing for 6+ hours, I still don't have any heavy mechs. I have found some harder missions, too; I have been taking 2 - 2.5 skull missions, and typically I am outgunned. The typical pirate enemies only have partial armour on their mechs, though, so it's hard to say whether they are really the superior force. One mission had me defending a base with 4 medium mechs vs. 2 heavies, 6 mediums, and 3 lights. Thankfully the enemy was more interested in the buildings than me, and some of the buildings are pretty strong in this game.

Melee is very satisfying, too. I concur with the person above who said that they just melee light mechs. Evasion doesn't save a locust from having its face caved in by a giant metal fist. Lights can only take one or two hits in melee it seems. I don't necessarily dislike lights, but there isn't any penalty to taking a heavier lance, so right now I am just rolling in with 4 mediums.

I have not seen any assault mechs yet. Just a jager and some dragons.

I haven't had any characters tell me they're a transgendered furry snowflake yet, and nobody has given any speeches about diversity and privilege.

Last edited:

Alpharius

Scholar
I'm enjoying the game a lot, and I can tell it has a lot of hours left in it. After playing for 6+ hours, I still don't have any heavy mechs. I have found some harder missions, too; I have been taking 2 - 2.5 skull missions, and typically I am outgunned. The typical pirate enemies only have partial armour on their mechs, though, so it's hard to say whether they are really the superior force. One mission had me defending a base with 4 medium mechs vs. 2 heavies, 6 mediums, and 3 lights. Thankfully the enemy was more interested in the buildings than me, and some of the buildings are pretty strong in this game.
Idk. I've started with 3 lights and 1 medium (sold two mediums because editing starting lance in json didn't work for some reason). About 10 missions later i have 3 heavies and 1 medium. I guess i'll have 4 assaults after another 10 missions. At which point all thats left is finishing the story (9 or 10 story missions total in this game afaik).

I guess thats what comes from following the "pick harder contracts if the game is too easy" advice.

So yeah, campaign is huge :decline:.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Grotesque

That is not the only jump though, my choices in the beginning also tells me that I have been a MechWarrior pilot long before this.

Edit:

I can't multi-quote :(

Cael

Arcane
Idk. I've started with 3 lights and 1 medium (sold two mediums because editing starting lance in json didn't work for some reason). About 10 missions later i have 3 heavies and 1 medium. I guess i'll have 4 assaults after another 10 missions. At which point all thats left is finishing the story (9 or 10 story missions total in this game afaik).

I guess thats what comes from following the "pick harder contracts if the game is too easy" advice.

How long does a campaign mission last? Because $4/mission is a pretty steep price unless the missions are all exceptionally well crafted, challenging and last a good while of non-stop heart thumping action.

Alpharius

Scholar

How long does a campaign mission last? Because $4/mission is a pretty steep price unless the missions are all exceptionally well crafted, challenging and last a good while of non-stop heart thumping action.
I'd say about 15 minutes for easy missions and about half an hour for hard ones. I've played only two hard missions so far though (as in, i've had to use my brain slightly and AI even took out one of the components and most pilots got some injuries), both of them story mission. Procedurally generated ones were mostly shit.

Cael

Arcane

I'd say about 15 minutes for easy missions and about half an hour for hard ones. I've played only two hard missions so far though (as in, i've had to use my brain slightly and AI even took out one of the components and most pilots got some injuries), both of them story mission. Procedurally generated ones were mostly shit.
Not interested in the procedurally generated ones as they are procedurally generated. The story missions are the ones that will show how much actual care and work went into the game.

So, 15-30min a mission over 10 mission gives 5 hours of gameplay max. And that takes into account the long and repetitive animations, which is basically Borednowville. For $40. Ouch. When I compare that to MechCommander or just about any MechWarrior, even Crescent Hawk's Revenge... Man, a lot of people got scammed hard.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Not interested in the procedurally generated ones as they are procedurally generated. The story missions are the ones that will show how much actual care and work went into the game.

So, 15-30min a mission over 10 mission gives 5 hours of gameplay max. And that takes into account the long and repetitive animations, which is basically Borednowville. For $40. Ouch. When I compare that to MechCommander or just about any MechWarrior, even Crescent Hawk's Revenge... Man, a lot of people got scammed hard.
This game is more like X-com, ignoring procedural missions is done at your own expense.
Compared to X-com, 10 story missions is way more than what you get there (where you are only required to do missions that give you critical research parts and then final mission).

Alpharius

Scholar

Tbh i didn't expect them to be so shit. It was sort of entertaining to watch streamers play them. Cause i was constantly like "omg, this dude is such a total moron, he's gonna get rekt next turn for sure". And when i'm playing these missions myself i'm like "eh, not only the AI is retarded, it also has retarded loadouts, i'm only going to take any significant damage on a headshot this turn".
:negative:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Another retarded game/UI decision is that you need to decide to reserve turn before being able to click on any mechs. As soon as you clicked one that is it. So you are not allowed to check out mech current state of ammo, damage, heat, weapon ranges(who remembers what each mech has at every moment) and the rest before deciding to reserve or do a turn with one of the mechs. I am pretty sure even in tabletop you can check all your sheets (or whatever is used) before making such decisions or does TT also expect players to keep everything in their head like this is some chess match?!

Cael

Arcane
Tbh i didn't expect them to be so shit. It was sort of entertaining to watch streamers play them. Cause i was constantly like "omg, this dude is such a total moron, he's gonne get rekt next turn for sure". And when i'm playing these missions myself i'm like "eh, not only the AI is retarded, it also has retarded loadouts, i'm only going to take any significant damage on a headshot this turn".
I sort of gathered that when someone further up said that the AI unloaded everything on a light 'mech and he had time for sweat to bead on his brow. Ah well, I am glad I didn't spend money on that shit. Back to Fallout Tactics where there is at least some challenge and fun, and more than double the number of missions which each take longer than 30mins.

Cael

Arcane
Another retarded game/UI decision is that you need to decide to reserve turn before being able to click on any mechs. As soon as you clicked one that is it. So you are not allowed to check out mech current state of ammo, damage, heat, weapon ranges(who remembers what each mech has at every moment) and the rest before deciding to reserve or do a turn with one of the mechs. I am pretty sure even in tabletop you can check all your sheets (or whatever is used) before making such decisions or does TT also expect players to keep everything in their head like this is some chess match?!
Err... In TT, you had all your 'mech readouts in front of you at all times. Unless you are like me and use a laptop and spreadsheets for the 'mech readouts, then it is tabbing through the sheets. Mind you, most veterans would be able to reel off what each 'mech has and the stats of each weapon off the top of their heads, but there is no rule saying you can't see your 'mech sheets.

This, however, doesn't sound like a design decision. More of a "they didn't think of the consequences" thing. Shoddy workmanship, in other words. I would expect more to come as you get into the nitty-gritty of the game. Kevin never struck me as even the slightest bit professional.

Cael

Arcane
This game is more like X-com, ignoring procedural missions is done at your own expense.
Compared to X-com, 10 story missions is way more than what you get there (where you are only required to do missions that give you critical research parts and then final mission).
I don't know which XCom you are playing, but the XCom I play has ALL missions as procedurally generated. There is no story missions. However, the procedurally generated missions are murderfests and the XCom operatives lost in a campaign can number in the dozens, if not scores.

Parabalus

Arcane

You can hit ESC to go back if you don't use an action, if I understand you correctly.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Currently you can only inspect targets that your currently selected mech can shoot at.

you can inspect ANY target with right-click

Also I have not seen a way to know how your weapon hit chance will change based on your movement.
That is possible also. at the stage when you select the facing of the mech, hover over intended target

12:04

but perhaps that's because I turned off all the camera effects
as any sane man should do.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
are light mechs of any use besides canon fodder in this game?

Yes, they break evasion with the lock on ability, are hard to kill with 4 evasion ticks, and spot for indirect fire.

Useful in some strategies but I doubt they will be meta in the multiplayer.

Also lul someone outright flaming unity for being a single threaded engine in 2018 like it absolutely deserves.

They get +2 to hit difficulty as default for lights, so it is 2 evasion levels for free.

With Ace Pilot I use a Jenner to great effect. Put a gyro+ on it (another +2 to hit difficulty), 4x M'lasers with dmg bonuses which boosts the damage output o 4x30. With good positioning you reserve, pop out of cover,shoot. At the start of next turn you are first (or even if not - one light cant touch this), unload another 4x30 and run back behind aome obstacles.

This is the joke about lights, they get useful if you have more experienced pilots. Also stock light loadouts have no armor and up-armoring asap needed.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
To the knowledgeable: when people say +X to hit, damage, saves, etc... what does that translate to? Because HBS is terrified of exposing numbers, I have no idea the absolute value of these bonuses. Is +2 to hit on a d20 system, so equivalent to +10%? The To-Hit scale is 0 to 100%, but I don't think +2 means +2%.

Similarly for Guts/Guns/Glory checks, what is +1 worth? Is it as if your Guts/Guns/Glory stats are +1? What does that translate to as an absolute percentage? Do stats exist on a 1 to 10 scale, so +1 is +10%?

I really dislike the half-hearted "infotainment" presentation of stats in this.

edit: Ohhhhh right, I should just read the manual....

:negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom