Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter BATTLETECH - turn-based mech combat from Harebrained Schemes - now with Urban Warfare DLC

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by Infinitron, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Nutria Savant

Nutria
    This is totally unrelated to any discussion going on right before this, but I think it's interesting that the engineer on the ship is wearing hijab but there is absolutely no mention of Islam during the game. It's almost as if the writers had some kind of fascination with gendered clothing but no interest in the beliefs of the women who actually wear it. It kind makes you think about how they see the world and what their priorities are.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    she should be stoned for daring to speak to a man without her owner's pemission

• Agree Agree x 3
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Norfleet Moderator

Norfleet
    Well, why's that special? I see plenty of games where people are wearing crosses...but not a single mention of Christianity occurs in the game. Maybe some people just have a religion without making it a big plot point or personal issue.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Considering that muslims are in Kuritan territory, and both muslims and Kuritans are as misogynist as they come, there is also the question of how she got her 20-gazillion doctorates. Occam's Razor states that she is lying through her teeth.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Lexx Augur

Lexx
    What I find more noteworthy is that she has a tattoo on her arm. Thought that wasn't allowed in those religious circles.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    One of the reasons they have good calligraphy is because they aren't allowed to do art of things as that would be idol worship, or some drek like that. If the tattoo is an animal or a face or something like that, then, yes, she's way out of bounds.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Norfleet Moderator

Norfleet
    Because nobody ever does anything that falls outside the accepted bounds of their religion, ever. Especially not people who are living on the fringes of society and making a living as shady missionaries.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Country_Gravy Arcane Patron

Country_Gravy
    Wasteland 2
    mercenaries. Missionary is just one of the many positions she enjoys.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    Sometimes simple yes or no will do for an answer.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Axioms Educated

Axioms
    The secret to the HBS Battletech game is just to max out PPC and LRM. And LosTech obviously if you mean double heatsinks and gauss cannons for more long range fun. Also assault mechs only. Never onced used a non-assault mech unless it was mandatory and even then it was a pair of LosTech Griffins.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Not if it is used to bolster a fraud.

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    I think it is the new "Lets pick our token multicultural cliches and put on a blender to show how progressive we are." + the old "I want something for an exotic mysterious alien culture... humm... I will pick a hijab, there you are, she is exotic enough."

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Black Arcane

Black
    What is the status of major religions in the BT universe anyway?
    Except St Blake, of course, may his HPGs light your path.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Mordru Novice Patron

Mordru
    Well, I thought it was interesting that my transgender character made no mention of using zirs butthole as a vagina....

^ Top  
  15. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Pretty much the way they are today (I mean in the today of the 80s when the game came out).

Federated Suns and Lyran Commonwealth are space British and space Germans respectively (they even use pounds and kroners as their currency; C-Bills are Comstar currency). Christianity is massive in those states. The ruling houses are outright stated to be Catholics (FedSun being an offshoot of the Catholic faith while LC is the original Catholics).

Draconis Combine is basically a combination of Shinto and Buddhism, more or less, being space Japanese.

Capallen Confederation, the space Chinese, is definitely Buddhist.

Free Worlds League is Christian of some sort, with strong influences from the Romance era of chivalry and the like. They are supposed to be an amalgamation of Greek and Italian cultures.

The Clans are generally atheists. They revere the past and their ancestors, although some dabble in animism and vision quests a la Native Americans.

Islam didn't get off Earth until late due to them not wanting to lose track of where Mecca is. Trying to figure where to bow to sniff the ass of the guy in front is difficult when the direction is basically "another planet". When they eventually did, they never made it as a coherent entity and settled a few planets in the Al Nair region in what eventually became the Draconis Combine. A small group made it all the way to the Periphery past the Bandit Kingdoms and started a war with the Spanish already settled there (Umayyad Caliphate vs Neuva Castile). Those that stayed on Earth didn't make it past ComStar's invasion of Earth after Kerensky's Exodus, although they might have already been wiped out by Amaris beforehand.

Hindus are scattered as well. The Thugee branch of the faith have a stronghold in the Capallen Confed due to Romano being viewed as a Kali avatar and she in turn protecting them and using them as her personal assassins. There are also presumably groups in the Draconis Combine, with the head of the ISF (Subhash Indrahar) being a possible one (it isn't explicitly stated that he is, but it was mentioned that he had a "Hindi background", which might refer to his ethnicity rather than religion, given how obviously fucking confused Stackpole was with regards to that topic).

These are the main groups. BTech, being a "everyone is brown" kind of setting, basically said that there is a bit of everything in every "nation" or group, although how you can have lone muslims running around a sea of Christians is rather unexplained. He must have spontaneously turned to a religion that he had never heard of in his life. Truly, divine intervention was involved.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Spark Mandriller Scholar

Spark Mandriller
    Also Cloud Cobras, who have being religious as their major trait. They have members of pretty much every religion and a bunch of new ones and they somehow all get along. Not sure how that's meant to work. But they're a home Clan so nobody cares about them.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Country_Gravy Arcane Patron

Country_Gravy
    Wasteland 2
    And Cloud Cobras sounds like a street gang made up of a bunch of nerds

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Jimmious Arcane Patron

Jimmious
    You mean like Tunnel Snakes ? +M

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. underground nymph Educated

underground nymph
    How to make Battletech the game great again? I mean the original campaign was nice and all, but now we have only some questionable DLCs which add ridiculously little to the replayability. I really want to sink in again, but I can’t justify aimless mercenary life with nothing to uncover. Roguetech is cool I suppose, but does it add any new layer to the base game?

^ Top  
  20. GarfunkeL Racism Expert

GarfunkeL
    Remake the game in an engine that allows for more than 4 Mechs under player control and maps that are larger than the inside space of a matchbox without exploding. Oh and maybe that engine could also run it faster than 2 FPS and the loading times could be faster than the half-life of Uranium-238.

I am still salty that I paid real money for this garbage. Should've learned from Wasteland 2, Unity cannot into running actual games.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    It definitely can. Their devs just didn't know how to use it properly.
    Developers nowadays don't really need to learn anything about optimization anymore, because games made in modern engines "just work".
    I mean, of course they would need to learn about optimization, but they just don't do it.

I've also often seen the mantra of "implement the feature first, think about optimization later" repeated by (not only game-) developers recently.
    Poor fools never seem to realize that there is almost never time to properly clean up and rework code after a feature has long been in use. I can practically guarantee you that Battletech is full of old code, old structures and old design that would all need a rewrite - but will never get one.
    With bollocks like that, I'm not surprised to see the relative surge of bad performing software released recently.

On the bright side, that only means that devs like myself, who always have performance in mind when working on something, will stick out from the crowd :lol:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Swampy_Merkin Learned Possibly Retarded

Swampy_Merkin
    Just take a year off of the game and forget about it. I've purposely left it alone (even while craving urban maps) since my first career play-through because I knew it would get stale.

Come back in a year, forget about the stupid story mode, run a new career with the DLC, drink some beers, and feel the freshness.

• nice nice x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. underground nymph Educated

underground nymph
    It’s been year already. And I really like new city maps, they are cool with lot of nice details. The new stealth and stray shot mechanics are nice either. Everything is cool actually, except there’s no storyline whatsoever. I can forgive all the shortcomings of the game, if they give me some good ol battletech plot: you know planetary militia, treasures of lostech, political assasinations, Kurita dogs to shoot, etс.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Nathaniel3W Rockwell Studios Developer

Nathaniel3W
    The chief engineer wears a hijab but shows off her shoulders. That's as haram as those muhagibas in music videos. If western whores appear in music videos, that's only to be expected. But when the infidels try to legitimize their music videos by putting virtuous covered Muslim girls in them, they're trying to subvert Islam.

I can't say much with certainty about religion in the Inner Sphere or Periphery, but in Egypt in 2019, tattoos are very Christian. Muslims for the most part don't get tattoos. But if you're in the oppressed Christian minority, you want to make sure everyone knows you're Christian by tattooing a small cross on your thumb or forearm. Men and women both get cross tattoos.

While we're on the topic, the most visible aspect of pop-religion for Muslim men is the prayer callus. I've heard it called a zabib, which is Arabic for raisin. Muslim men, in order to show how pious they are, rub their foreheads into the carpet when they pray, or they place a small stone medallion on the ground and rub their foreheads on that.

Back to the game though, I liked the main campaign well enough. It's buggy and not entirely stable, but besides having to replay a mission or two, the bugs didn't affect me too much. I wish there was more to the game. From what I've heard about the DLCs, they're really not worth the money. If the third planned DLC is good though, I'll probably wait for some kind of DLC bundle sale.

About the pronoun issue, I think it's stupid that HBS included it. Does the game ever even refer to your character by third-person pronoun? It feels totally unnecessary. Yeah, everyone could just ignore it. But if the game allowed you to paint your mechs like giant clowns, I would comment on that stupid and unnecessary feature too.

My biggest complaint about the game is that there's no reason not to field your four heaviest mechs on every mission. If there were some kind of tradeoff, where you could take two mediums instead of one assault, or if there were a weight limit for your lance, or if you needed to field multiple lances at once, then there would be a reason to keep your other mechs around. But it seems to me that there's not much of a reason to keep too many mechs besides my "gotta catch 'em all" obsession. Yeah, maybe once in a while it's good to have a mech ready to use if your better mechs are being repaired, but that's not even a good strategy because then your crappy mechs get damaged, and they clog up the repair queue, so it's better to just sit around and wait between missions while you repair only your best mechs.

The campaign forces you to take the last mission immediately after the penultimate mission, with no time to heal or repair. That was a great idea. I wish they had made other missions do that too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Absolutely Haram Absolutely Haram x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. GarfunkeL Racism Expert

GarfunkeL
    It just sucks because it shows a lot of promise but I can't help but be frustrated and annoyed that Mech Commander did so many things better back in fucking 1998. Especially as some of the nice things, like the detailed Mech customization, don't really matter at all because of (engine) limitations. In Mech Commander, you have a number of slots AND a weight limit for each mission. Battlech has no weight limit but only allows 1 lance of 4 Mechs, no matter what the mission. So why the fuck would I experiment with a bunch of different variants when the odds of getting to use them? But of course, even if I was allowed to bring 12 Mechs to the battlefield, it would just mean an even worse slugfest because the maps are so small. In every mission I tried to get off the beaten path but oh no, invisible walls! Fuck yeah that's what I want in a strategy game - arbitrary limits that constantly remind me that I'm just playing a game. Oh, enemy PPC got a critical hit on your Mech and now your character is dead? Okay, enjoy staring at the loading screen for several minutes. Yes, I installed it on an SSD.

Every time I played this, it just made me want to replay Mech Commander Gold.

• Agree Agree x 5
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)