Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter BATTLETECH - turn-based mech combat from Harebrained Schemes - now with Urban Warfare DLC

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by Infinitron, Apr 24, 2018.

1. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    That's actually the effect it had on me.
    That and increasing my careful hype for the next MechWarrior.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Black Arcane

Black
    Bad idea.

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Nathaniel3W Rockwell Studios Developer

Nathaniel3W
    I'm not going to go back and read through 78 pages of previous posts, so I don't know if this was already discussed. What was everyone's take on the setting? I had only ever played games set after 3050 when the Clans return to invade the Inner Sphere, so that was kind of what I was expecting. I liked this game's backstabbing and political machinations in the Periphery circa Third Succession War. But I was a little disappointed that I never got to salvage a Vulture or a Mad Cat or load my mechs to the brim with Clan weapons.

^ Top  
  4. Syme Educated

Syme
    I didn't like the time period to be honest, mainly due to the lack of ballistic weapons. I always preferred ballistics to lasers in previous games and Battletech has no UAC's, no RAC's, no LBX's, no light or heavy gauss rifles, and no machine guns. So the only shooty weapons you get are AC 2/5/10/20 and a standard gauss rifle.

To be fair though, the time period is still the least of my concerns. It easily ranks behind the shit performance, shit characters, shit story, shit one lance restriction, and shit overpriced DLC's that I didn't buy.

^ Top  
  5. underground nymph Novice

underground nymph
    What’s wrong with the story though? I mean it’s certainly not the writing award nominee, yet the plot quite well done in resembling what were the Battletech books about back then.

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Retarded is the word I'd use. Wrong area, wrong ethnicities, wrong lore, wrong history, cameos for the sake of making money, not for the story, wrong everything. They might as well have white rulers of the Draconis Combine fighting the Spanish rulers of the Capellan Confederation and it would make for a more coherent story than that shit.

They also made your group blown up an intact Castle, for Pete's sake! Hello! Fuck the 4th Succession War! Everyone, let's go hunt down the fucks (i.e., your character) and show the whole Inner Sphere what we do to destroyers of LosTech.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Syme Educated

Syme
    Because at no point does it feel like you're an actual mercenary mechwarrior. Instead, you play the white knight for an amazing and stunning and brave Mary Sue princess. Read the review here on the codex, it sums it up pretty nicely.

https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10930

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. underground nymph Novice

underground nymph
    Fair and very well put critique. And yet I’ll argue the story is far away from being shit. Sure it could have been much better, yet it’s 2019 — storytelling in games has seen better times.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Forward it to ISIS and let the fireworks begin. Be sure to add that HBS is full of evangelical trannies who wants to convert good little muslims to trannism.

• Edgy Edgy x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Deus Vult Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    You guys realize that by the time the game takes place that might just be fashion choice...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Nathaniel3W Rockwell Studios Developer

Nathaniel3W
    I really don't think so. The character design is too intentional to be a whim of 31st century fashion. Other characters in the story have mismatched names: Indian-Scottish Raju Montgomery for example, and all the randomly generated names and faces implying that a thousand years of intermarriage have erased distinct ethnicities. But not Farah Murad with Arabic first name, Arabic last name, dark skin, and a hijab. No sir. She was intentionally cast as the Arab Muslim woman member of the crew. The tight-fitting sleeveless shirt shows that she can work hard and get her hands dirty, and that her clothing choice is her decision, wearing what's practical for an engineer rather than what patriarchal Arab-Muslim society expects.

Somewhere in 31st century interstellar space, an imam has condemned women who go to work on spaceships without their guardians, doubly condemned if they hypocritically cover their hair while sinfully showing their shoulders.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  12. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    There are still distinct ethnicities or the inherited behaviour (original or adapted) but by that point everything goes. There can be a traditional fundamentalisitc arabian regime as well as an ancient egyptian looking regime that ends up waering kilts instead of whatever egyptians were wearing back in the day. This can have fundamental reasons or just being some flavor fashion they somehow adapted or kept.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    The mismatched names are a total insult to the whole idea of Battletech in the first place. Take the names of the famous people there:

Takashi Kurita
    Hanse Davion
    Arden Sortek
    Scott Bradley
    Morgan Kell
    Morgan Hasek-Davion
    Michael Hasek-Davion
    Subhash Indrahar
    Katrina Steiner
    Melissa Arthur Steiner (later Steiner-Davion)
    Ian Davion
    Yvonne Davion
    Nondi Steiner
    Minobu Tetsuhara
    Michi Noketsuna
    Torinaga Kurita
    Daniel Allard
    Quintus Allard
    Justin Allard
    Naomi Centrella
    Emma Centrella
    Jaime Wolf
    Natasha Kerensky
    Kai Allard Liao

There are no fucked up names like Raju Montgomery or Anna-Maria Centrella. They are there because HBS wanted to push an agenda, pure and simple.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Nutria Savant

Nutria
    The pattern I'm seeing there is that in the 1980s people thought that Japan would still be relevant in the future.

• nice nice x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Black Arcane

Black
    And that German and Brit-like people will even exist in the future :lol:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Trans-Financial-Man Learned

Trans-Financial-Man
    I'd recomend the Battletech Extended 3025 mod. It adds war for all the different houses which includes territory control shifting based on what missions you do. Along with a bunch of stuff to turn the game into a more freeform experience. Basically what this game should've been from the start.

https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/387?tab=description

I have high hopes that at some point another mod will come along that makes the game not boring. I'm looking forward to that mod.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    :happytrollboy:

• what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Gaius maximus Arbiter

Gaius maximus
    Does it make the game harder as the mods dev promises? Or it just throws stuff randomly and hope they stick?

Also is there a mod that allows you to deploy more than 1 lance/vehicles?

^ Top  
  19. Trans-Financial-Man Learned

Trans-Financial-Man
    It can be harder depending on how far along you are. And you have access to all kinds of 5 star missions from the beginning if you really want to challenge yourself. If you pick the Established Company option then you're more likely to find the challenging stuff.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Bohr Arcane

Bohr

And bringing out the big guns to drum up some excitement among Codexers and other neckbeards:

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    • Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    Have they patched the performance yet?

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    [QUOTE="Bohr, post: 6305337, member: 15951"
    And bringing out the big guns to drum up some excitement among Codexers and other neckbeards:

[/QUOTE]
    Kevin self-confessed to be the worst player in the whole studio. The idiot would have been better off with a random frothing mad dog off the street.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2019 at 2:44 PM
    ^ Top  
  23. Nathaniel3W Rockwell Studios Developer

Nathaniel3W
    4.4 GB patch went out yesterday. Supposedly they worked on the difficulty of the campaign, fixed bugs, and made some graphical changes. I haven't played yet. Anyone notice any differences?

^ Top  
  24. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    Do you think anyone here is still playing this? :P

• No No x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/637090/announcements/detail/1600389240463272121

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)