Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BATTLETECH - turn-based mech combat from Harebrained Schemes

Brinko

Arcane

Olinser

Savant
On the plus side now there's an actual penalty to shooting at a unit using a friendly assault mech for cover.

Brinko

Arcane
God that shit sounds so cliche, I thought it was XCOM 2's shitty soundtrack.

This is what you want for your mechs in the city battle soundtrack:

Hope HBS get mad and add a stat where you can see the collateral damage and loss of innocent life to brow beat you and it just becomes a dick measuring contest to kill as much as possible.

Cael

Arcane
God that shit sounds so cliche, I thought it was XCOM 2's shitty soundtrack.

This is what you want for your mechs in the city battle soundtrack:

Hope HBS get mad and add a stat where you can see the collateral damage and loss of innocent life to brow beat you and it just becomes a dick measuring contest to kill as much as possible.

No non-fantasy game music has ever beat:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/battletech-urban-warfare-puts-mechs-back-where-they-belong/

BattleTech: Urban Warfare puts mechs back where they belong
Level blocks with MechWarrior ordnance in this city-themed expansion.

ztejGJEyioEWUmrnP9cFWF-320-80.jpg

Don’t get me wrong—I love taking a Jenner for a leisurely jog through the mountains or laying down a blanket of LRMs to glass the shimmering sands of a haunting, lonely desert. But that’s never been the natural environment for mech battles, as far as I’m concerned. The iconic BattleTech experience is punching your enemies right through the front window of a seafood restaurant, demolishing some high-rise apartments with stray laser beams, and having your lightweights dart in and out of a dense office park to take sneaky pot-shots. Urban Warfare delivers on that experience, among other things. And it feels good.

The metropolitan environments in Urban Warfare are well-designed and present novel tactical challenges. The maps I’ve seen so far seem to be a good mix of terrain types, with crowded streets and skyscrapers broken up by open plazas and city parks that make sure you have some options if street-to-street brawling and gunslinging isn’t your style. This creates some niches for lance compositions that aren’t especially viable in BattleTech’s other environs. I found the widespread availability of cover and sight blockers to be a boon to lighter mechs, especially. Using their speed to set up very narrow firing lines and then darting back into safety can be very powerful, especially with accurate, long-ranged weaponry.

And if you’ve got jump jets, even more new possibilities open up since you can jet up to the roof of most buildings to rain death from on high. I found this to be a very powerful scouting ability as well, allowing me to take up a position on a well-placed tower and spot for my indirect fire mechs without putting any of my MechWarriors in too much danger. This tactic does present its own risks, however, since just about everything is destructible. Missed shots now hit objects behind your intended target, and you can target buildings directly. A scout mech that takes a fall from 30 stories because an enemy Colossus decided he wasn’t a fan of that particular city block is going to be a bit worse for wear, and totally exposed as a result. The same is true if an enemy is using the urban sprawl for cover. With enough firepower, you can literally level the playing field with just a bit of high explosive and elbow grease.

Beyond creating new tactical opportunities, it just looks and feels right. Games and movies about giant robots hit a sweet spot when their well-oiled stars are racking up millions in collateral damage, crushing minivans underfoot, and giving insurance companies heart attacks. It’s such a joyous and resonant experience that the expansion could have easily been called BattleTech: Homecoming.

The other major expansion feature is electronic warfare, which comes in two varieties. Electronic Countermeasures can jam long-ranged targeting, which is a great way to shut down opponents who like to strap LRMs onto as many hard points as possible and shower the battlefield with ruin, occasionally hitting an actual mission target. So it’s there to specifically counter my playstyle, basically. Lucky for us indirect fire fans, the accompanying 1.6 patch adds the Catapult C4 as a consolation prize—a variant that dares to ask, “What if missiles, but too many?”

On the offensive end of electronic warfare, you can now deploy Active Probes, which remotely provide data on a targeted area of the battlefield without having to risk the life of that new guy who got stuck with the Locust until he can prove he’s responsible enough for a real mech. These can be very powerful, especially on urban maps where sight blockers are plentiful. Since I like to run with heavier, slower mechs most of the time, it’s really nice to have an alternate option for scouting.

Most of the other significant changes relate to the career mode, and I haven’t had the chance to dig into them too deeply just yet. The galaxy map has been expanded with around 50 new star systems, new event chains, and new contract types that can involve taking on multiple opposed factions at once in three-way free-for-alls. Collateral damage can also now affect mission payouts, so you might have to resist the urge to fell entire cities in some cases. That’s all free in 1.6. With the Urban Warfare DLC, we’re also getting new flashpoints with original crew dialogue and an Attack and Defend mode that sounds kind of like turn-based DOTA—the enemy base will continually churn out vehicles to attack your side’s HQ until you blow the thing to bits.

BattleTech definitely feels like a more complete and varied game with the addition of urban maps. And there’s no denying that laying waste to the urban environments with giant, stompy death machines is one of life’s simple pleasures. You’ll be able to try it out for yourself today.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
So I got talked into buying this and installing roguetech... and it's basically unplayable. I literally quit the second mission I was on because it had like 12 enemies, 8 allies, and every AI turn was taking 15 seconds to process. Loading a map takes like 2 minutes. WTF. Even in the menus it'll take like a good 3-5 seconds just to go between the shop and hangar or vice versa with no changes.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
From the Battletech Extended 3025 page:

1.6 Update
1.6 has broken all non vanilla modded mech asset bundles. What does that mean? Well it means we can't have a mod with anything but variants of the mechs in the base game, so Shadowhawk, Griffin, Firestarter etc. variants. So I am sorry to say that the compatibility update is waiting on the guys who made the mech bundles to figure out how to fix their mods and create a fixed version for every mech they did before Extended 3025 pushes an update.
Everything else is fixed and ready to go for Extended. So it's out of my hands now.
You will have to either play the expansion vanilla or revert to the version before 1.6. Sorry all, I am just as disappointed.

So... no point in playing for now. Hopefully they'll have everything up and running again soon.

Brinko

Arcane
They have updated the season pass to show what the mystery 3rd expansion is; named Heavy Metal and the description "The third BATTLETECH expansion features a host of new BattleMechs, including several that have been unseen for decades and perhaps a surprise or two…" reads like they are gonna take the roguetech mech ideas and shove them in and say fuck it we're done. Last expansion is a shitty bottom shelf 6 in 1 action figure box set.

Cael

Arcane
They have updated the season pass to show what the mystery 3rd expansion is; named Heavy Metal and the description "The third BATTLETECH expansion features a host of new BattleMechs, including several that have been unseen for decades and perhaps a surprise or two…" reads like they are gonna take the roguetech mech ideas and shove them in and say fuck it we're done. Last expansion is a shitty bottom shelf 6 in 1 action figure box set.
No. 6 become 1 Transformers copy. Constructicons are go!

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

So... what we have now with Extended 3025, but less?

Per the mod website, they anticipate fixing BattleTech Extended 3025 very soon. Apparently they figured out the issue:

1.6 Update
Update to the Update:
The broken model issue has been resolved. Extended compatible version is almost released. Just waiting on some parts to be finished off and you will have an update, certainly days, not weeks, I expect tonight or tomorrow.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Great news, Extended 3025 is working once again.

10 June 2019, 8:36PM
1.6.0.0 is out!
Please make sure you do a clean install as per the instructions. If you have remnants of the older mod, it may cause you issues.

(I recommend you name your old Mods folder to Old-Mods, then create a new Mods folder - you can then copy over your other mods into the new folder after getting 3025 installed)

The latest Modtek and CAB are required. Check the description page for installation instructions.

You can always ask for help, make suggestions, report issues on our Discord

IMPORTANT NOTE:
With Urban Warfare (BT 1.6) released, the Raven and the Javelin 'Mechs are part of that expansion and part of the DLC material and no longer part of CAB or 3025 (or the JK Mods).

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I like the game but the loading times between missions are fucking awful. It's worth playing but have a book or something handy for the 2-3 minute wait times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom