Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BATTLETECH - turn-based mech combat from Harebrained Schemes

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Dragonfall's writing was much better than the first one though.

It didn't hook me, the writing and characters definitely weren't the focus of Dead Man's Switch and that might have been to its benefit. It was a nice straight forward combat focused rpg.

Xeon

Augur
I don't think Shadowrun Hong Kong came out for console and the UI was mostly the same to the previous games tho with some improvements iirc.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So. Is this game worth playing yet. I read the codex review a while back where he mentioned something about our mercenary protagonist sucking off some random princess' cock. So, gameplay good enough to put up with that?
In the light of all this talk about the latter two Shadowrun games HBS having made me gloomy, so I would say eh, not particularly.

The problem is fundamental. VidyaTech (we will call it that because it gets too confusing otherwise) has a near non-existent and rote story, and that's the root of the problems. It isn't a campaign. It's a skirmish generator. There's no story to these, and there are only so many configurations they can happen in. When I backed the game, I hoped it'd be like MechCommander (well maybe not necessarily RTS, but closest point of comparison) with a story on par with Dragonfall or Hong Kong. But it's basically none of that. It's simply endlessly going through random fight after another, hunting for more upgrades to keep to the curve.

It's got pretty obnoxious random event design on top.

Also mechanically it falls in the usual pit traps of its source material, so it gets more tedious to play the longer you do; the gameplay starts off p neat, but only gets into more and more of a slog until I was basically forcing myself to finish the main story since those missions get even sloggier and you have seen all of the game's tricks by halfway-point of tonnage.

I didn't bother picking up any of the DLCs. The thought of replaying VidyaTech just feels like catching a cold. The latter half of it is really offputting after a promising first quarter.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Brother, you could open with that on the 'dex.

That's awesome.

Also, to all the people leaving rude responses to my posts about Dragonfall please outline why I'm wrong and convince me to give it another go!

I'm surprised that it has so many fans and it makes me feel like I missed something.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

That's awesome.

Also, to all the people leaving rude responses to my posts about Dragonfall please outline why I'm wrong and convince me to give it another go!

I'm surprised that it has so many fans and it makes me feel like I missed something.
It was an significant improvement over the first. In point of fact, you might be arsed to read the codex review as well.
https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9394

Fishy

Savant

That's awesome.

For a start, NPC companions all have some story you get involved with. Think Coyote from Returns, but better. Glory is particular is... something... Then the story reaches out rather far, and you get a say in how the Berlin Flux State does for a good while (but you don't decide on how it ends, because that's part of the Shadowrun lore further down). You also get to mingle with Humanis. If you have played Shadowrun before in pen and paper format, it's pretty cool, you get a lot of contact with lore.

The matrix sections are still as tedious as in Returns though. I thought HK did well to add some real-time in there as it massively accelerates things. As is, you'll have to tolerate that stuff in DF but imho it's very worth it.

It's a very close thing but I think HK just edges it for me, with a few improvements (less tedious matrix, and you have the gear to *be* Glory, my claw troll was a pure joy late game), the same kind of NPC companion arcs (there's a mission that includes revenge on an ex during a geek convention, rpg writing doesn't get any more realistic), and a neat storyline which is lower scale but expanded with the extra mini-campaign. And the HK theme, I'm a sucker for that.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
How many RPG's have actual C&C, other than Age of Decadence? Even better: How many of the Codex Top 20 have actual C&C?

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech/posts/2401458

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED - Season Pass Complete!

Hey everyone, long time! Mitch here. I just wanted to let you know about two big releases today.

The first is free Update 1.8, which contains two beloved BattleMechs: the Warhammer and the Marauder! These classic ‘Mech chassis are equipped with unique components that reflect their place in BT lore:
  • WARHAMMER (70 Tons) - Its Optimized Capacitor Feeds increase the damage of all equipped Energy weapons.
  • MARAUDER (75 Tons) - Its Lance Command Module decreases the damage taken by it and its allies and gives a boost to Called Shots.
In addition to the two free ‘Mechs, there’s a bunch more cool additions in 1.8:
  • Official Mod Support - With this release of BATTLETECH, we are introducing official mod support to the game and now support the ModTek format that the modding community are currently using. We’ve also added new mod management UI to the main menu to streamline mod use. As usual, use mods at your own risk. In-game modding tools are not included.
  • New Maps - Two new maps bring even more variety to your contracts: Jumbled Karst (an iconic rock formation set between two valleys), and Boulder Field (rolling hills and rocks dot this battle scarred landscape)
  • New contracts - Over 40 new contracts, including new persistent allied and enemy NPCs, and new contract variants that mix up the gameplay you’ve seen in new and unexpected ways. Battle a dangerous solo mercenary, train a group of overly enthusiastic rookies, and serve as the personal bodyguard of an arrogant noble.
  • New Events - We’ve added a slew of new mercenary travel Events to “enhance” your mercenary life.
  • Rebalanced Stores & LosTech - We’ve completely overhauled how weapons and equipment appear in our stores. Finding items is now more straightforward. We’ve also given LosTech items a boost in power to fit their legendary status.
  • New Star Map Weapon Store Filters - We’ve added a new filter dropdown to the star map that lets you view planetary industry by type and a tooltip that tells you what you can find in each star system.
  • Mech Viewer - Get a close-up view, rotate and customize your ‘Mech paint pattern directly in the MechLab!
  • New Merc Company Crests - Scads of new emblems to choose from for your mercenary company, drawn from notable factions throughout the Inner Sphere. Roleplay your heart out!
And there's more! Our second release today is our third expansion for BATTLETECH, closing out our Season Pass.

What’s in Heavy Metal??? Behold our marketing text!
Seven Classic BattleMechs

These beloved ‘Mechs are a big part of BattleTech’s legendary 35 year history and several debuted in the original tabletop boxed set in 1984. To honor these classics, each BattleMech in Heavy Metal contains a unique piece of special equipment that reflects the flavor described in the original technical readouts and lore.
  1. FLEA (20 Tons) - a light-weight nuisance that is deadly if ignored. Targeting Baffles make the Flea one of the hardest to hit ‘Mechs in the game.
  2. ASSASSIN (40 Tons) - a light ‘Mech killer, the Assassin is notable for having an absolutely insane jump distance for a 'Mech of its size. Its Intercept System bypasses much of the Evasion generated by fast ‘Mechs.
  3. VULCAN (40 Tons) - is well suited for short-range fighting against enemy brawlers. Its Close Quarters Combat Suite extends the range of all equipped Support weapons and grants a substantial defense bonus against melee attacks.
  4. PHOENIX HAWK (45 Tons) - very agile and intended to outwit contemporaries and lighter opponents on the battlefield. Its Vectored Thrust Kit increases its jump distance and the damage it inflicts after making a jump.
  5. RIFLEMAN (60 Tons) - well known for having very thin armor and superb targeting ability at long range. Its Ranged Engagement Suite increases its visual range, removes the penalties for attacks at long range and reduces the Recoil from Ballistic weapons.
  6. ARCHER (70 Tons) - a storied BattleMech that has been piloted by some of the most noteworthy MechWarriors in BattleTech lore. Its Enhanced Missilery System dramatically improves the clustering and Stability damage of missile weapons.
  7. ANNIHILATOR (100 Tons) - one of the slowest and most heavily-armed behemoths in existence. Ballistic Siege Compensators increase the Stability rating of the Annihilator and the damage of its equipped ballistic weapons.
An “HBS Original” BattleMech
Designed by Heavy Metal Art Director Marco Mazzoni, this brand new ‘Mech is Harebrained Schemes’ addition to this venerable game setting. It’s origin is shrouded in mystery (for now).

BULL SHARK (95 Tons) - [redacted] Its Thumper Cannon allows it to target an area with a barrage of high-explosive shells.

Eight New Weapon Systems
The combination of the unique new special ‘Mech equipment and these new weapon systems adds a host of interesting new tactical decisions to your Mech Lab and the battlefield.
  1. COIL Beam - a “Contained Overflow Inertia Linkage” system that generates more energy damage the further the attacker travels before firing.
  2. Inferno Missiles - do little physical damage but coat a target in burning fuel that spikes their heat.
  3. LBX Autocannon - LBX ACs are the shotguns of the 'Mech world, firing cluster munitions that can hit multiple locations on a BattleMech.
  4. ‘Mech Mortar - an area-effect weapon that can dramatically turn the tide of battle by damaging or destroying multiple units at once.
  5. Ultra Autocannon - fires two rounds or ballistic ordnance in a single attack.
  6. Narc Missile Beacon - a warhead-deployed homing beacon that allows allied missile attacks to be more effective against the target.
  7. Snub PPC - a short-range version of the awesome Particle Projection Cannon that spreads its damage across multiple locations on a BattleMech.
  8. TAG - paints the target with a targeting laser which improves allied energy and ballistic attacks against the target.
Flashpoint Campaign: “Of Unknown Origins”
A series of linked flashpoints and connected special events that bring you face-to-face with two legendary characters from BattleTech lore - the Bounty Hunter and the Black Widow of Wolf’s Dragoons. A derelict cargo ship has drifted into the Periphery from deep space. What secrets does it contain, and who will ultimately control its mysterious payload?

We hope you have fun with today’s two releases and the last 18 months of free updates and game expansions. It’s been an honor to make games for you and to serve the 35 year legacy we’ve been lucky to be a part of!

Take care,

Mitch and the BATTLETECH Team

Last edited by a moderator:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I backed this but didn't redeem my codes. I suppose I could be bothered to find out what they were & maybe buy this expansion if somebody were to tell me: is the soy content in the writing as bad as the overall writing quality of Mechwarrior 4?.

I could just about play the original campaign in Mechwarrior 4 because the gameplay was passable...

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I backed this but didn't redeem my codes. I suppose I could be bothered to find out what they were & maybe buy this expansion if somebody were to tell me: is the soy content in the writing as bad as the overall writing quality of Mechwarrior 4?.

I could just about play the original campaign in Mechwarrior 4 because the gameplay was passable...
The gameplay is great, the story is decent. They had stupid agenda driven pronouns in the character creation scene, but that's all, the game is great overall.

razvedchiki

Erudite
no.png

rating_citation.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Harebrained must already be working on whatever their next game will be, and probably have been for some time. Maybe LESS T_T can spot something in some concept artist's Artstation page.

Xeon

Augur
Flashpoint, if you don't care about the story, flashpoint allows you to skip the story and just play as a merc doing missions all over.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom