Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Beamdog announce Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear, with Chris Avellone onboard

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I still can't get over the fact that Beamdog, of all people, managed to get the rights for this franchise.

Trent oster was with Bioware during bg 1 and 2 times.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
a Throne of Bhaal-style expansion pack for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition.

Just to be snarky: So does that mean we can expect a completely boring and linear experience with small copypasta maps, shitty writing, and none of the things that made the original campaign fun? :roll:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
a Throne of Bhaal-style expansion pack for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition.

Just to be snarky: So does that mean we can expect a completely boring and linear experience with small copypasta maps, shitty writing, and none of the things that made the original campaign fun? :roll:

Well, the PCGamesN interview mentions that the expansion isn't as open as BG1 and is built more like BG2. :M

Map navigation will work as it did in Baldur’s Gate 1 - areas are logically linked so that when you cross over the eastern edge of one, you can expect to come out on the western side of another. But Beamdog have mimicked the way Baldur’s Gate 2 occasionally constrained the player, as well as the overall richness of its environments.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I was somewhat underwhelmed with several parts of PoE (NOWHERE near to the degree most of the Codex seems to think it's a "complete fuck up" though), but at least Obsidian put enough effort in the project to come up with a new, almost-decent engine instead of just recycling shamelessly assets from a 17 years old game.
What does that matters, if the content isn't fun to play? Sure, I would love to have a tr00 sequel to BG2 on PoE's gorgeous engine, but tyhe choice between lazy engine choice or lazy content creation is a very simple one.

That is, of course, if Beandog can deliver somethign worthwhile, which is the big question mark here.

What does that matters, if the content isn't fun to play? Sure, I would love to have a tr00 sequel to BG2 on PoE's gorgeous engine, but tyhe choice between lazy engine choice or lazy content creation is a very simple one..
It *does* matter because, for a start, I just don't think PoE was that much "unfun" as you are implying, just flawed in some areas, and mostly because going with "We'll just recycle BG1 assets" is setting the bar low from the beginning, without much room to hope in significant improvements.

Not to mention a couple of other points like:
- the fact that I'm not expecting Beamdog's content to be actually better to ANY degree, given their track record with the two EE, with fanfiction-tier narrative and so on.
- if my distrust about their ability to deliver even under the best conditions wasn't enough, it's the idea of a "new expansion to fill the blanks between BG1 and BG1" which is completely awful in itself. If anything, even just because we'll know from the beginning exactly where it will lead.

Trent oster was with Bioware during bg 1 and 2 times.

I know. So?

Last edited:

Ausdoerrt

Augur
Well, the PCGamesN interview mentions that the expansion isn't as open as BG1 and is built more like BG2. :M

Map navigation will work as it did in Baldur’s Gate 1 - areas are logically linked so that when you cross over the eastern edge of one, you can expect to come out on the western side of another. But Beamdog have mimicked the way Baldur’s Gate 2 occasionally constrained the player, as well as the overall richness of its environments.

Taking the worst of the two worlds, I see.

(well, maybe not strictly the "worst", but definitely "least favorite")

Amn Nom

Learned
What the actual fuck? I don't care if MCA is working on this, I want it left dead. Nothing good can come from messing with a FINISHED saga.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
PST:EE? I dunno, I mean, the game is definitely showing its age, but it's so radically different from the likes of BG, I'm wary of them screwing it up.

I just can't wait to have the short movies of Torment for spells replaced with the enhanced versions with the art direction of someone who just finished middle school.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
They found a new way to desecrate and rape the dead body of Baldur.

- Beandongs have proven themselves to be shit at writing with Black Pits 2.
- Shit at drawing - look at the blurry UI shit.
- Shit at hiring voice actors with Black Pits 2.
- Shit taste - look at those fonts. Look at those horrible health bars, who asked you to add those??
- And now they're being just plain shit by hyping naive people with MCA's name, while clearly only paying him for a few quick notes. At least have the decency to hire MCA as a lead writer, you talentless faggots.

This is beyond evil. This game will have 0 good aspects to it - no writing, no taste, nothing. BG doesn't deserve this. It would've been better if it was just a nightmare.

Last edited:

i.Razor

Scholar
Patron
Holy sh#t. That's unexpectedly.

Now MCA and original cast sounds good. Milking or not, I think it is day 1 purchase for me.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I thought the EE was sub-par at best? Why are people excited for this? Not trying to be negative.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
They found a new way to desecrate and rape the dead body of Baldur.

- Beandongs have proven themselves to be shit at writing with Black Pits 2.
Wait, you speak as if the original Black Pits adventure was any good. Is Black Pits 2 even worse (seriously hard to believe)?

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
A bit of an odd one.:S Never been a HUGE fan of BG, I liked the games just fine, but they were never my favorite RPGs or anything. Can't really be all 'WHAT BLASPHEMY IS THIS, HOW DARE THEY!?' now. Dunno, hopefully they can come up with something decent?

himmy

Arcane
inb4 Beamdog pull a Harebrained Schemes and deliver something actually good after being swamped in mediocrity.

uTqkpB9.jpg

roshan

Arcane
I still can't get over the fact that Beamdog, of all people, managed to get the rights for this franchise.
There must be loads of developers out there that would kill for a chance to make a Baldur's Gate, but the ones that will actually do it are a talentless bunch without an ounce of ambition who are just going to recycle an almost 20-years-old 2D engine.

And people are even cheering them for it. "Real incline" my hairy ass.

Go fuck yourself. That 20 years old 2D engine is still the best fucking engine roleplaying games have ever been crafted on.

I was somewhat underwhelmed with several parts of PoE (NOWHERE near to the degree most of the Codex seems to think it's a "complete fuck up" though), but at least Obsidian put enough effort in the project to come up with a new, almost-decent engine instead of just recycling shamelessly assets from a 17 years old game.

Can you name the supposed decent features of this engine? All I can think of are shitty ANIMESHANZ!!! including hunchback running, stupidly long load times, unbelievably shitty and blurry spell effects, clusterfucky view angle, and a crappy user interface...????

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
You know, I was actually going to make a post here on the codex claiming that I would have been happy if (Obsidian) would have just went with the old Infinity Engine and did their magic on that. Now Beamdog is doing a new adventure piece in the IE so sounds pretty cool, which does not sound cool is that I would have to buy the BG:EE for 19,90€ first and THEN this expansion that will probably cost at least the same amount of money.

I really hope that if they would go for the BG3 they would still be using the IE

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You know, I was actually going to make a post here on the codex claiming that I would have been happy if (Obsidian) would have just went with the old Infinity Engine and did their magic on that. Now Beamdog is doing a new adventure piece in the IE so sounds pretty cool, which does not sound cool is that I would have to buy the BG:EE for 19,90€ first and THEN this expansion that will probably cost at least the same amount of money.

I really hope that if they would go for the BG3 they would still be using the IE

BG:EE is frequently available for sale at a 75% discount FYI

likaq

Arcane
Claming that Inbred Engine is 'the best fucking engine roleplaying games have ever been crafted on' is the new low.

Go fuck yourself. That 20 years old 2D engine is still the best fucking engine roleplaying games have ever been crafted on.
Which is fucking irrelevant, since there isn't a single merit you could mention about the games that you could reasonably attribute to the engine i nthis day and date.
Jesus Christ, you are clueless.

Can you name the supposed decent features of this engine?
Sure, Support to higher resolutions, variable framerate and having more than three fucking animation frames per minute, for a start.
You know, acknowledging at least to a reasonable degree that technological progress exists, in short.

And I'm not sure why you are mentioning design and UI elements as a proof that we needed to get stuck with the BG1 assets... Oh, no, wait, I know... Because once again you are FUCKING CLUELESS, not to mention apparently also a rabid fanboy lunatic who doesn't even get the point.

karfhud

Augur

That. I'm really curious about what they'll come up with, MCA-onboard and all, plus obviously it's not about the tech, but I did expect them to use a fresh engine, obviously had Unity in mind. However you look at it, IE is very much outdated, period.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom