Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Beamdog announce Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear, with Chris Avellone onboard

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
With IE they can focus on what matters and that is the quality of content. IF they would make the game on a new engine they would have to blow their budget on animations and shit and we would be getting some shitty episode-centric crap.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
They found a new way to desecrate and rape the dead body of Baldur.

- Beandongs have proven themselves to be shit at writing with Black Pits 2.
- Shit at drawing - look at the blurry UI shit.
- Shit at hiring voice actors with Black Pits 2.
- Shit taste - look at those fonts. Look at those horrible health bars, who asked you to add those??
- And now they're being just plain shit by hyping naive people with MCA's name, while clearly only paying him for a few quick notes. At least have the decency to hire MCA as a lead writer, you talentless faggots.

This is beyond evil. This game will have 0 good aspects to it - no writing, no taste, nothing. BG doesn't deserve this. It would've been better if it was just a nightmare.

While your criticisms are otherwise legit, are you seriously implying that voice acting, writing and fonts are the most important things in BG games? :lol:

roshan

Arcane
Go fuck yourself. That 20 years old 2D engine is still the best fucking engine roleplaying games have ever been crafted on.
Which is fucking irrelevant, since there isn't a single merit you could mention about the games that you could reasonably attribute to the engine i nthis day and date.
Jesus Christ, you are clueless.

The tactical RTS based RTWP combat is unrivaled to this day.

Can you name the supposed decent features of this engine?
Sure, Support to higher resolutions, variable framerate and having more than three fucking animation frames per minute, for a start.
You know, acknowledging at least to a reasonable degree that technological progress exists, in short.

And I'm not sure why you are mentioning design and UI elements as a proof that we needed to get stuck with the BG1 assets... Oh, no, wait, I know... Because once again you are FUCKING CLUELESS, not to mention apparently also a rabid fanboy lunatic who doesn't even get the point.

The EE IE engine can support all sorts of resolutions. So now what's the benefit of the Shitternity engine? As of White March they have not even worked stealth mechanics up to IE standards and there isn't even any pickpocketing yet.

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded
I thought the EE was sub-par at best? Why are people excited for this? Not trying to be negative.

This is their first serious attempt at a game. The way I see it this will make or break Beamdog for some Codexers.
Exactly!
What the actual fuck? I don't care if MCA is working on this, I want it left dead. Nothing good can come from messing with a FINISHED saga.
They cant mess around with it, because it IS already finished whatever they do!
BG:EE is a different interpretation of the Saga.
You should treasure your old experiences with the original saga, and move on!

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I still can't get over the fact that Beamdog, of all people, managed to get the rights for this franchise.

Trent oster was with Bioware during bg 1 and 2 times.
Making them coffee?

People applauding this need to be shot.

You stupid?

Bringing Sixteen years of game development experience to the company, Trent is no stranger to gaming startups. As a student of Computer Science at the University of Saskatchewan, he co-founded Bioware and later broke off as an owner in Pyrotek Games Studios, where he developed the highly-successful action game "Shattered Steel." Trent rejoined Bioware to finish "Shattered Steel" and went on to help grow the BioWare business, working on major successes such as Baldur's Gate and MDK2. Following his early work, Trent stepped into the role of Project Director and Producer on the industry-changing game Neverwinter Nights

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
the industry-changing game Neverwinter Nights

Kz3r0

Arcane
Guys, cut the crap.
The best RPG engine is the ToEE one, only just one game has been made with it.
And all the most loved RPGs around here were made with IE, so better stick to it that reinvent the wheel or use inferior stuff, Unity.

darthaegis

Cipher
Guys, cut the crap.
The best RPG engine is the ToEE one, only just one game has been made with it.
And all the most loved RPGs around here were made with IE, so better stick to it that reinvent the wheel or use inferior stuff, Unity.
I believe iirc both Arcanum and ToEE were made on Tim Cain's Steam Engine.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
People on beamdog are calling for Planescape Enhanced Edition, dis gonna be grorious :troll:

Ok? Let's say, for the sake of argument that it's true. Now can you please breath, think for a minute and then explain me why do you think your statement is in any way relevant with my point? What makes you think it was "teh engine" which made the games the best RTWP... And even more relevantly, what makes you think it would still make the games adequate today?

The EE IE engine can support all sorts of resolutions.
And yet it doesn't, because if you are going to scale BG1 assets to anything resembling a modern resolution, you are going to need a fucking microscope to play.

As of White March they have not even worked stealth mechanics up to IE standards and there isn't even any pickpocketing yet.
Which, once again, it's more a matter of questionable design and interface, rather than being implicitly tied to the engine used. Are you even grasping what are we talking about, here? Do you even know what an "engine" *actually* is?

Also, are you seriously confident Beamdog will be able to come up with content that will match the original games?
If you are happy with the idea that "the continuation of the legendary saga" (or whatever else shitty one liner they will use to promote this) will be handled as a crappy amateurish mod for Infinity Engine, be my guest. Just don't expect that others will necessarily share your blind enthusiasm.

roshan

Arcane
Ok? Let's say, for the sake of argument that it's true. Now can you please breath, think for a minute and then explain me why do you think your statement is in any way relevant with my point? What makes you think it was "teh engine" which made the games the best RTWP...

Are you seriously asking this stupid question? Because the fucking engine was coded to support it.

And even more relevantly, what makes you think it would still make the games adequate today?

Another stupid question. If the original games are still running and playing great (not even talking about the EE versions here) and also look great with a res mod slapped on, there's no reason why the engine isn't adequate. In fact, it's perfect. It's only the GRAPHIXXX obsessed dumbfucks that have any cause to complain.

The EE IE engine can support all sorts of resolutions.
And yet it doesn't, because if you are going to scale BG1 assets to anything resembling a modern resolution, you are going to need a fucking microscope to play.

PROTIP: When playing the EE games, use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out.

As of White March they have not even worked stealth mechanics up to IE standards and there isn't even any pickpocketing yet.
Which, once again, it's more a matter of questionable design and interface, rather than being implicitly tied to the engine used. Are you even grasping what are we talking about, here? Do you even know what an "engine" *actually* is?

Also, are you seriously confident Beamdog will be able to come up with content that will match the original games?
If you are happy with the idea that "the continuation of the legendary saga" (or whatever else shitty one liner they will use to promote this) will be handled as a crappy amateurish mod for Infinity Engine, be my guest. Just don't expect that others will necessarily share your blind enthusiasm.

Have you heard of code? Have you realized that the Shitternity so-called "engine" hasn't yet been coded to support the level of thief mechanics that the IE implemented 17 years ago? The engine is not just a graphical platform. It seems that in your shortsightedness that is all you are able to focus on.

curry

Arcane
will be a Throne of Bhaal-style expansion pack for Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

10OgC4i.gif

Dexter

Arcane
With IE they can focus on what matters and that is the quality of content. IF they would make the game on a new engine they would have to blow their budget on animations and shit and we would be getting some shitty episode-centric crap.
Because that is what Beamdog is known for, QUALITY OF CONTENT not taking a very good game and turning it into an Enchanted Edition by putting in retarded characters and "romance options", designing absolutely shit encounters and "areas" that look like they came out of a horses ass and re-doing the Intro making it about 1000% worse, oh and adding blur filters because about the only things that would actually be an improvement like upping the resolution, improving upon Animations and similar or updating the underlying technology for 20 years of other technological improvement proved to be too much work: http://steamcommunity.com/app/228280/discussions/0/864957182873204516/

Yes, this will be absolutely brilliant and not just another shitty cash-in and beat Pillars of Eternity or Numenera: Torment because they can concentrate on what they are good at.

:x

Also, how the fuck are they planning on balancing "25 hours of content" as an additional Expansion between BG1 and BG2? The Level cap was already pushing it with Tales of the Sword Coast.

Are you seriously asking this stupid question? Because the fucking engine was coded to support it.
As I said, you have no clue of what an engine is. You keep confusing the technical side of the matter with the the ruleset that was tied over it as an additional layer of abstraction.

Another stupid question. If the original games are still running and playing great (not even talking about the EE versions here) and also look great with a res mod slapped on, there's no reason why the engine isn't adequate. In fact, it's perfect. It's only the GRAPHIXXX obsessed dumbfucks that have any cause to complain.
What's incredibly, overwhelmingly stupid here is your conclusion. Just because these games are all-time classics and one could argue they are aging incredibly well for their time, it doesn't mean they are up to modern standards.
And there are plenty of issues, even among the far less apparent ones (like the rendering technology used) that make that engine completely dated.

PROTIP: When playing the EE games, use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out.
Oh, Jesus Christ, using the mouse wheel, BRILLIANT!
Nothing says "great engine, absolutely up to the task, with great looking assets" like some super blurry, extremely pixellated UPSCALING over sprites that were originally designed to be visualized at 800x600 at most.

Have you heard of code?
Please.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Wasn't beamdog a trigger word around these parts? Did PoE really scar people this hard they're looking forward to more of their original content? :lol:

The real incline cometh. A true old school game in the old infinity engine and not just a re-imagining in faux unity engine.

The combat is not balanced and you get XP for it, that's all i need to know.
Please don't imply PoE was balanced, it makes you look like a clueless faggot

Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
Given the surge in bad taste that permeates this forum, I'm actually looking forward to it, with caution obviously. Don't worry, popamolers, Fallout 4 or whatever shit AAA action RPG for consoles that you play is right around the corner.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also, how the fuck are they planning on balancing "25 hours of content" as an additional Expansion between BG1 and BG2? The Level cap was already pushing it with Tales of the Sword Coast.

Out of all this that is an interesting question unless they press the "reset" button at the end when you get captured by Irenicus.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Unwanted

Irenaeus II

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
Given the surge in bad taste that permeates this forum, I'm actually looking forward to it, with caution obviously. Don't worry, popamolers, Fallout 4 or whatever shit AAA action RPG for consoles that you play is right around the corner.
Since when Bethesda was good even just at action?

Yesterday I read that cboy liked Elder Scrolls 1 & 2. I never played anything Bethesda for more than 30 minutes (or 3-4 hours in case of TESO).

I had reservations about Beamdog based on what I read in this forum, but since most members have shown a enourmous sense of bad taste, like the communist @felippepepepe, I'm starting to look at the EE with more care. I'll not D1P this anyway, from what I've read so far, I'll just keep reading the news.

lurker3000

Arcane
Now Beamdog is doing a new adventure piece in the IE so sounds pretty cool, which does not sound cool is that I would have to buy the BG:EE for 19,90€ first and THEN this expansion that will probably cost at least the same amount of money.

I really hope that if they would go for the BG3 they would still be using the IE

BG:EE is frequently available for sale at a 75% discount FYI

I drunkenly bought BG:EE for $5 last year during a steam sale. I see it taunting me every time I scroll though my RPG tab in the library. Well maybe now I have a reason to play it and my shame will be no more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom