Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Beamdog aren't working on a new Planescape game

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Beamdog; Planescape: Unraveled; Trent Oster

Our little scoop about a possible new Planescape RPG from Beamdog has made the rounds over the past few days, with articles at PC Gamer, Eurogamer and USgamer. Today it finally elicited an official response from the studio. Unfortunately or fortunately, they aren't working on a new Planescape game. The concept art in the video was merely an "exploration project" for brainstorming purposes. Here's the statement about it from Trent Oster:

A note from Trent on the Planescape concept art going around:

The Beamdog creative and art teams often explore concepts, pitches, and designs touching on different Dungeons & Dragons and unique settings. This was the case of the Planescape: Unraveled character concepts shown in the recently released STORYHIVE Next Level documentary.

At any given time, there are a few of these exploration projects happening in different parts of the studio. They’re typically not shared outside of the company as they can be interpreted as a new project.

We do these exploration projects as a way to find new ways to bring different ideas and creative styles to projects we’re working on. We’ve found it’s a great way to let the creative team stretch themselves and expand their skills. Occasionally, we return to these explorative projects and incorporate them into other things we’re working on.

Does this mean a new Planescape game is currently in the works at at Beamdog? Afraid not, the team is hard at work on other projects at this time. Planescape is an amazing setting that we enjoyed exploring as a part of developing Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition and we’d love to visit it again in the future. Only the Lady of Pain knows if that’ll happen, and she’s not sharing.​

Well, so much for that. It's nice that Beamdog can afford to spend time on stuff like this despite however modestly their most recent releases may have sold. I wouldn't mind learning more about what they came up with for "Planescape: Unraveled", though. Was it just concept art or was there anything more?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Too bad for me, but at least this shows that Beamdog is smarter than they appear to be. Bring on the trad fantasy trad RPG.

I suppose this means Colin and Adam really were just begging for jobs (that don't exist), doesn't it?

DemonKing

Arcane
Planescape would have been a dumb move anyway - the original was hardly a blockbuster, Numenera fared poorly, and the enhanced edition hasn't exactly set the world on fire. No point producing something beloved (or even tolerated) only by Codexers if you can't keep the lights on afterwards.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You have to do something. Making non-fantasy is never a good option but sometimes making fantasy is always the losing the option.

In either case, I wish they would adapt the Curse of Stroud into a PC RPG the same way Troika did for the Temple of Elemental Evil.

That's going to be my refrain in this thread and probably the subject of Beamdog as a whole.

Last edited:

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Unfortunately or fortunately, they aren't working on a new Planescape game.

My first reaction was an artistic little fist pump, which seems a little childish in hindsight. It would be nice to have a new Planescape game, just not one that has anything to do with PS:T (so they can't fuck up the original story), and, let's face it, not from Beamdog.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
One reason I promote adapting a P&P module (usually designed and written by people who understand how to make a good campaign), although Beamdog's terribleness is exaggerated for the most part.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Baldur's Age 3 lol

The only hope for this series was The Black Hound, and it's dead. Now it's just synonymous with generic fantasy rpg, with waifus for all tastes, and maximum dorkyness and kitschyness. A trend started with "look mah, me dumb fighter with a cutey hamster" BG2, curse its name.

hivemind

oh awesome now a shit game company won't make a shit game about a shit setting that I like because it was featured in a shit game with pseudo-good writing and absolutely horrible everything else which somehow makes it the bestest rpg ever

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
oh awesome now a shit game company won't make a shit game about a shit setting that I like because it was featured in a shit game with pseudo-good writing and absolutely horrible everything else which somehow makes it the bestest rpg ever
Not one of your best troll posts, I'm afraid.

Elex

Arbiter
they don’t have negate it actually.

they basically confirmed they are working on it.

they don’t have confirmed the game will actually release.

but they are working on it, they don’t give money to people for fun, they are working on some early concept.

this is how early stages of a game happen, the team work on many different games idea and then someone select the one game going in pre production.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh well. Still looking forward to what they are working on. The more companies we have making isometric RPGs, the more chance some of these RPGs will turn out good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom