Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Beamdog working on a new D&D CRPG (cancelled)

d1nolore

Savant
Why would anyone fund a Beamdog project, they are yet to finish any of their previous ones.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
they are yet to finish any of their previous ones

... that weren't theirs to begin with and were already finished by the original developers 20 years ago.

And any issues left over were already fixed by modders: issues with modern operating systems, widescreen resolutions, etc.

There was no need whatsoever for the "enhanced" editions.

d1nolore

Savant
Re-releasing games was a bit too complicated for Beamdog so they created a new genre called "Enhanced Edition". This process involves starting new projects while previous projects are in limbo. Team sizes can range from 0-2 workers on a project at a time.

hexer

So they're hiring a bunch of people for an Unreal 4 game.
We don't know anything about it yet?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
There was no need whatsoever for the "enhanced" editions.

To be fair, I never knew that this was possible on the Infinity Engine...

lol.jpg

... until Beamdog came along and injected 20,000 bugs over 5 years of patching.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Uh-oh. Beamdog's plan to be a 100-employee company "betrayed" by Alberta axing tax credit: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/gaming-tax-credit-alberta-1.5336579

'I felt betrayed': Gaming companies unsure of future in Alberta after tax credit axed
The tax credit covered 25 per cent of staff salaries and bonuses

Video game business owners are uncertain about the future after the provincial government announced Thursday it will axe a tax credit used to cover salaries.

The previous NDP government introduced the Interactive Digital Media Tax Credit last year.

It covered 25 per cent of salaries and bonuses for staff, along with an additional five per cent for employees from diverse or under-represented backgrounds.

The current provincial government's budget, which was unveiled on Thursday, eliminated the tax credit.

"In contrast to targeted tax credits, the corporate tax rate reductions and enhanced CCA rates create a competitive environment for all industries to grow and succeed," reads the budget document.

Ontario, British Columbia, Manitoba, Quebec and Nova Scotia offer an incentive similar to the one terminated in Alberta.

Trent Oster, CEO of video game studio Beamdog, has a studio close to 50 employees and had planned to double the number of employees. Those plans will now need to be assessed after the tax credit was eliminated.

"I felt betrayed," Oster said.

"When the NDP announced after a long and slow consultation process with us that there was going to be an interactive digital media tax credit to level the playing field with a bunch of other provinces, which have honestly still superior tax credits, I was really hopeful," he said.

With more employees, the company was going to be able to expand its projects and game development.

"I think we're going to start looking at some other locations as well," Oster said. "We've got a lot of interest. We have a lot of excitement just coming off console launches of our titles."

[complaints by former BioWare GM follow]

https://edmonton.citynews.ca/2019/1...edit-concerns-video-game-industry-in-alberta/

Trent Oster is the CEO of Edmonton-based Beamdog and a co-founder of the world-renowned developer Bioware.

After investing a lot of his own money in the province, Oster feels like he has been left in the dust.

“Everybody just feels demoralized. It’s like we’ve just been cast out into the cold,” Oster explained. “You look at where the money has gone and you go, ‘okay, obviously nobody is interested in us being a part of Alberta’. Nobody is interested in new industry in Alberta, we’re only interested in old industry.”

“I liken it to being pioneers trying to get across the prairie, and they’re taking the slings and arrows of everyone who doesn’t want them there,” added Warner.

The Alberta government, in touting the corporate tax cut, has said this will recreate an “advantage” in the province to hopefully attract fresh investment, but Oster added that this digital credit still paled in comparison to other provinces but at least it was better than nothing.

“The tax credit in Manitoba is 40 per cent. The tax credit in Quebec is 35 per cent. In Nova Scotia, it can get as high as 60 per cent,” he said. “Personally, I’ve invested heavily in Alberta, and it just frustrates the heck out of me that Alberta won’t invest back.”

In addition, it can put a real damper on young Albertans hoping to stay close to home while chasing their dreams.

“If you’re in computer science, making video games is kind of like the dream job,” said Oster. “You can’t find more diverse jobs. Video games is just the tip of the spear.”

Warner is trying to stay positive as he continues to struggle in attracting talent, but it still sounded fairly bleak.

“How are you going to incentivize and get people here, when every other province offers these benefits but Alberta does not?” he questioned. “I’m shooting for 40, 50, 60 people. All in one location. And in order to get there, I needed some help.

Will I get there? I don’t know, I don’t have a crystal ball. I hope, I plan on it. I’m going to keep going, because when the going gets tough…you know the rest of the saying. I’m going to keep putting one foot in front of the other.”

Last edited:

hexer

50 employees?? I thought there were like 5 of them.
He should worry more about making a great game instead of hiring a bunch of people for little effect.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
How about Beamdog release one enhancement?

Their EEs run like my Aunt May after she's had too much sherry to drink.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Please stop down rating my posts. Yes, I love Beamdog, deal with it.

Down rating? Is that a thing now? I thought I rated your post shit. Sorry, but you're such a tempting juicy target for the occasional precision strike. And don't worry, I will somehow learn to deal with the fact that you're an unapologetic, uncritical fanboy.

Fake edit: I don't like being nasty on this forum, but your labrador-like drooling friendliness brings out the snarky bitch in me. Try and be a bit more of a cunt and your ratings will be adjusted accordingly. I'll probably delete this post when I feel bad about it later.

Deleted Member 16721

Beamdog are a blessing from the RPG Gods. Once you accept this fact all will become clear.

They're still patching and updating Baldur's freaking Gate. Give them some credit. Who else would undertake these projects? No one was lining up to enhance these classic RPGs. They are doing the work to keep these games relevant and useful for the newer generation. You can only respect that.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Please stop down rating my posts. Yes, I love Beamdog, deal with it.

Down rating? Is that a thing now? I thought I rated your post shit. Sorry, but you're such a tempting juicy target for the occasional precision strike. And don't worry, I will somehow learn to deal with the fact that you're an unapologetic, uncritical fanboy.

Fake edit: I don't like being nasty on this forum, but your labrador-like drooling friendliness brings out the snarky bitch in me. Try and be a bit more of a cunt and your ratings will be adjusted accordingly. I'll probably delete this post when I feel bad about it later.

Don't you dare, I just upvoted your veggie arse for this show of character. And it's now quoted in my post anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom