Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
If you want to have fun, check the BG2:EE bugs sub-forum which starts to grow rapidly. They said no more engine bugs will be present in BG2:EE because they were already addressed in BG:EE which has the same engine.

Bug: enemy mobs disappear when reloading a game

:what:
Like in a Master fight in Fallout. I liked it there.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
If you want to have fun, check the BG2:EE bugs sub-forum which starts to grow rapidly. They said no more engine bugs will be present in BG2:EE because they were already addressed in BG:EE which has the same engine.

:what:
Isn't that existing behavior? Enemies are spawned not just on map load but on save load if they are not pre-placed in the level. You could load the same save in Baldur's Gate and see different enemies (or none) because of this - it was an intentional feature designed to make areas feel unpredictable.

Servo

Arcane
Isn't that existing behavior? Enemies are spawned not just on map load but on save load if they are not pre-placed in the level. You could load the same save in Baldur's Gate and see different enemies (or none) because of this - it was an intentional feature designed to make areas feel unpredictable.

I'm pretty sure it's on map load. That's why you can quicksave the moment before you aggro enemies in the wilderness and they will still be there if you die during encounter.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I remember something an awful lot like that happening with the original game (and using the original engine), not sure about the sequel.

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer

It seems to only be happening to the few opponents which are created via spawn points. In general, those are "filler" enemies which have no impact on the main plot (for example, the goblins in Irenicus' dungeon).

FWIW, most enemies in the game are pre-paced in the area files or added via script. Therefore, they should be unaffected by this issue.

Blackguard

Learned

It seems to only be happening to the few opponents which are created via spawn points. In general, those are "filler" enemies which have no impact on the main plot (for example, the goblins in Irenicus' dungeon).

FWIW, most enemies in the game are pre-paced in the area files or added via script. Therefore, they should be unaffected by this issue.

Are you guys planning on hotfixing this though? I'd rather not see any mobs disappear.

uaciaut

Augur
Reading this discussion made me nostalgic for BG2. Time to fish out my BG1/BG2 discs, reinstall, download 30 mods, and spend 6 hours getting it all installed.

Not paying $20 for a copy of a game I already own, though. Not to mention the lack of mods.

What mods will you be using?

I know i have a notepad with all the mods i enjoyed so i can download them again when i reinstall BG2, do i need to be worried and re-download them asap because people will convert them to be BG2:EE compatible? Because a few "bug fixes" or some shitty eye-candy is definitely not enough content to make me try their version (i wouldn't buy it even if i did plan to play it).

uaciaut

Augur
The hell why can't i edit my post? I wanted to ask if anyone has an actual list of content changes/additions.

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer
The hell why can't i edit my post? I wanted to ask if anyone has an actual list of content changes/additions.

A comprehensive list of changes between the original game and BGII:EE should be up soon. For now, here's a very short summary:

• Native support for widescreen resolutions including new fonts which make the text a bit easier to read
  • Remastered area artwork created from the original (uncompressed) 24-bit renders
  • Drastically reduced area and save load times (i.e. loading a saved game is now nearly instantaneous)
  • The ability to zoom the view in and out
  • 4 new party members: Neera, Rasaad, Dorn and Hexxat + 1 hidden. Each new party member comes with his/her own quest line, except for the hidden one
  • 6 new kits: Shadowdancer, Dwarven Defender, Dragon Disciple, Blackguard, Sun Soul Monk and Dark Moon Monk
  • Black Pits 2 - an arena mode which features a series of challenging tactical battles using brand new custom-tailored AI scripts
  • Tons of engine fixes, externalizations and under the hood improvements which make it easier to mod the game

gunman

Arcane
Developer
  • Drastically reduced area and save load times (i.e. loading a saved game is now nearly instantaneous
Never bothered me in the original. It loads and saves nearly instant as well.

• Black Pits 2 - an arena mode which features a series of challenging tactical battles using brand new custom-tailored AI scripts
Useless.

• Remastered area artwork created from the original (uncompressed) 24-bit renders

Were they re-rendered at higher resolution so that at zoom in does not appear blurry?

• Tons of engine fixes, externalizations and under the hood improvements which make it easier to mod the game
And a ton of new bugs as well.

• 4 new party members: Neera, Rasaad, Dorn and Hexxat + 1 hidden. Each new party member comes with his/her own quest line, except for the hidden one

Now the most important question. Which one is LGBT?

Last edited:

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer
I didn't work on any of the romances, so I might be a bit out of the loop here.

AFAIK, Dorn swings both ways and Hexxat is only into girls. The rest should be straight shooters.

Blackguard

Learned
It's a good investment for people like me who've already played through the game seven times, tried virtually every mod out there, and need something new to avoid the feeling of repetition. I hope it's at least compatible with enemy mage AI mods tho.

This exactly. I mean everyone values things from their own point of view, but for me paying about what I pay for going to see a movie is definitely worth all the usability imrpovements. Not to mention the new content which makes it new playthroughs more interesting.

• Drastically reduced area and save load times (i.e. loading a saved game is now nearly instantaneous

This never bothered me either before either since I was used to it. However after importing my BGEE save to BG2 it was very jarring. Anyway I don't think anyone has mentioned one of the best things about the BG2EE UI, the quick loot button which makes looting big enemy groups a lot easier.

kaizoku

Arcane
aVENGER

what are Beamdog's plans for the future?

Will you continue "improving" old Interplay games?
Or will you be developing some original content using BG2:EE engine? And by that I mean a RTwP cRPG using D&D, that doesn't makes use of BG2 characters or story (but that can still use the art assets).

uaciaut

Augur
I wasn't asking about technical stuff (fixes, load times, etc) since i've had no problems with those.
Few new kits can be interesting but there are tons of mods that offer those already, though i would like to see what they look like.
New NPC's are meh, it's hard to get worse than fan-made NPC's so i'm also curious how well they're written.
Arena mode is cute actually.

Any extra quests besides the ones provided by the new NPC's?

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer
kaizoku
I can't really comment on that, NDAs and all. Any new info will have to come from the official press releases.

What I can say is that we will continue to provide strong support for BG:EE and BGII:EE.

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer
Any extra quests besides the ones provided by the new NPC's?

The Black Pits 2 has a quest line of its own i.e. it's not just combat.

Note that the new NPC quests are quite extensive. Each NPCs adds about 5-6 new areas. Also, some of these quests can be solved in multiple ways, depending on the choices that you make.

skyst

Augur
aVENGER

Or will you be developing some original content using BG2:EE engine? And by that I mean a RTwP cRPG using D&D, that doesn't makes use of BG2 characters or story (but that can still use the art assets).

ToB:EE in a few months for a reasonable $19.99 (it's just an expansion, after all), followed by BGT:EE - all three games, even more enhanced, in one neat little package. Since people are so willing to buy the same game over and over.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
aVENGER

ToB:EE in a few months for a reasonable $19.99 (it's just an expansion, after all), followed by BGT:EE - all three games, even more enhanced, in one neat little package. Since people are so willing to buy the same game over and over.

BG2:EE includes ToB.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Anyway I don't think anyone has mentioned one of the best things about the BG2EE UI, the quick loot button which makes looting big enemy groups a lot easier.
How? That sounds really useful.

Blackguard

Learned
Anyway I don't think anyone has mentioned one of the best things about the BG2EE UI, the quick loot button which makes looting big enemy groups a lot easier.
How? That sounds really useful.

Pressing the red button in the botton left corner opens the quick loot bar. You can loot things directly from that bar, also using that bar you can actually loot nearby things without having to move the NPC to stand over every kobold's loot pile one by one.

rAT5OKl.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom