Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

SwiftCrack

Arcane
- Game no longer freezes when canceling an imported priest character

:what:

Blackguard

Learned
Maybe actually try playing BGEE. Since the release of Baldur's Gate I've beaten it, and BGEE, with/without various mods over dozen times easily, and BGEE 1.3 is the best shape this game has ever been in. The launch version was a complete disaster, but Beamdog has kept supporting it. Not only have they fixed a ton of bugs, they've also added a number of new improvements along to way.

I apologize for not pretending like this is the worst thing ever without actually having almost any first hand experience.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Maybe actually try playing BGEE. Since the release of Baldur's Gate I've beaten it, and BGEE, with/without various mods over dozen times easily, and BGEE 1.3 is the best shape this game has ever been in. The launch version was a complete disaster, but Beamdog has kept supporting it. Not only have they fixed a ton of bugs, they've also added a number of new improvements along to way.

I apologize for not pretending like this is the worst thing ever without actually having almost any first hand experience.

The new companions have shit writing (moreso in BG2), and the quality of the new cutscenes is debatable, but other than that I agree.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
They actually patched "their" game mod to a playable state and it only took them 2 years!? Off to buy at least 5 copies now.

Last edited:

imweasel

The new companions have shit writing (moreso in BG2), and the quality of the new cutscenes is debatable
Is there a way to turn off the bullshit that Beamdog added? (I bought the games a while ago during a steam sale but haven't played them yet, just wanted to know)

roshan

Arcane
I'm guessing if you don't take the new companions the games should play quite similar to vanilla?

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Still waiting for my Steam key after they suddenly released the game on Steam 1,5 month after their 'Beamdog exclusive release'.

Ok, that was Atari's fault not Trent's.

But still.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Maybe actually try playing BGEE. Since the release of Baldur's Gate I've beaten it, and BGEE, with/without various mods over dozen times easily, and BGEE 1.3 is the best shape this game has ever been in.
I have played it and uh, no. The GOG version is far more stable and fan patches of it have fixed the vast majority of bugs, unlike in BGEE which still has decades old bugs - in addition to new Beamdog brand bugs from all their "enhancing". It's not unplayable by any means (well, depending on which bug you run into), but it is annoying to shell out cash for a game you already bought before, only to find that your extra cash isn't buying much in the way of quality.

I honestly would rather play the GOG version, but BGEE is the only one that runs on my ipad. :M

Coriolanus

Learned
I was foolish enough to actually play through almost all of BG2:EE with ToB until an SCS-related game-breaking bug with Sendai made me quit. Silly me to think that having SCS listed as 'fully compatible' in a sticky on Beamdog's official forums didn't mean what I thought it meant.

The two very bad things that hit the nail in EE's coffin for me were the SCS-related bugs and the inexplicable absence of spell hotkeys past level 4 so that having many spellcasters meant later battles were spent mostly navigating the spell menus. The rest, like the beyond awful NPCs, I could easily ignore.

The new companions have shit writing (moreso in BG2), and the quality of the new cutscenes is debatable
Is there a way to turn off the bullshit that Beamdog added? (I bought the games a while ago during a steam sale but haven't played them yet, just wanted to know)

No, you can't turn anything off. However, you can ignore the EE companions, just like the vanilla ones. Yes, they are absolutely horrible - the worst nightmares of Bioware's creation don't even come close.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Not to mention that on the ipad they are dlc extras that you have to buy and that the first screen that loads up is a nag for you to buy them. EVERY TIME you load the game. The only one that comes with the game is the monk.

Zetor

Arcane
I was foolish enough to actually play through almost all of BG2:EE with ToB until an SCS-related game-breaking bug with Sendai made me quit. Silly me to think that having SCS listed as 'fully compatible' in a sticky on Beamdog's official forums didn't mean what I thought it meant.

The two very bad things that hit the nail in EE's coffin for me were the SCS-related bugs and the inexplicable absence of spell hotkeys past level 4 so that having many spellcasters meant later battles were spent mostly navigating the spell menus. The rest, like the beyond awful NPCs, I could easily ignore.

No, you can't turn anything off. However, you can ignore the EE companions, just like the vanilla ones. Yes, they are absolutely horrible - the worst nightmares of Bioware's creation don't even come close.
I just replayed BGT (BG1+BG2+TOB, not the EE version) and ran into the same Sendai bug. Ended up having to reverse-engineer some scripts to get past it and abuse CLUAConsole, but it worked out ok in the end -- except for a freaky-ass bug where the Balthazar/Melissan scene played out in Abazigal's lair, but after I spawned Balthazar manually in the monastery, it worked fine.

It's kinda strange how such a game-breaking bug has been left of SCS, which is a really solid and bug-free experience otherwise. I guess when you have 10k+ lines of code, eventually something will slip through!

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity

can you ignore new GUI and fonts too?

MrMarbles

Cipher

I had the same, unable to exit the lair right? There is a fix using CLUAConsole, you have to manually set Sendai's status to dead, (CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("Sprite_is_deadsendai","Global",1) if it isn't already. Then you have to manually teleport out, area codes can be found here.

Coriolanus

Learned

can you ignore new GUI and fonts too?

No, but they didn't bother me. My only issue with the interface were the missing hotkeys. Everything else was an improvement - the instant save/load times, an extra panel to see the icons of things on the ground, zoom etc. Fonts looked a bit weird at start but the vanilla's alternative (widescreen mod + ghostdog's PST fonts) was worse.

I had the same, unable to exit the lair right? There is a fix using CLUAConsole, you have to manually set Sendai's status to dead, (CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("Sprite_is_deadsendai","Global",1) if it isn't already. Then you have to manually teleport out, area codes can be found here.

Thank you for the tip, but my issue was a bit different with her being stuck at 'near death'. I already tried things like CTRL+Y and that command, simple solutions like that didn't work. Googling revealed that the 'near death' thing was a common problem but the workaround (teleporting the party around for the rest of ToB, setting off scripts manually etc) seemed so much of a hassle that I couldn't be bothered anymore. Being a bit fed up with the repetitiveness of SCS encounters played a role as well.

Xeon

Augur
BG1EE with the new 1.3 patch is really good. It adds several convenient things and AFAIK its not that buggy if at all. NPCs kinda suck but there is a fourth secret character I found by luck that I really like.
Evil Summoner, kinda of an OP I think but his dialogue are much better than the new NPCs and he doesn't ask you to help him with a quest or bother you with a life crisis or something like that.
Bealoth: STR12 -- DEX14 -- CON16 -- INT19 -- WIS12 -- CHA16

BG2EE is kinda buggy still but I think there will be a new patch 1.3 that will be released sometime soon.
Hexxat the new exclusive NPC to BG2EE is buggy and her dialogue and plot is kinda cringe worthy. I didn't bother with the other NPCs yet. You can also ignore all the new content if you want completely.

Edit:
I kinda don't mind the new NPCs in BG1EE since all the original NPCs don't have much to say except for battle cries. The new NPCs are kinda similar of how cheesy the original are I think? Like Minsc for example with his space hamster shtick or whatever. But in BG2 the original NPCs are kinda mostly well written so except for Hexxat so far I have no idea how the new NPCs are.

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I saw what Beamdog did to the BG1 cut-scenes.

What a bunch of fucking retards. The Enhanced Edition is some college level retardation. Fuck them for cutting cut-scenes from other places too like Cloakwood.

Last time I checked, mages didn't cast while permastunned, so I guess the interruption doesn't really matter. It also stuns through protection from magic weapons and all the other defspells.

- Neither weapon will trigger if they have Protection of Magic Weapons up.
- C.Fury will go through Stoneskin but since it's only 5% of the time it's not reliable for interrupting them via the sonic boom.
- They can still make the saving throw.

Flail of Ages doesn't have these issues. C.Fury is a cool weapon but it's not better than Flail.

You have a point about the barbaric maiming of your opponents with a flail though, I'll give you that.

It's just nice to have a weapon where 99% of enemies that aren't a Demi-Lich will get hit. Having to deal with Golems resistant to slashing or whatever nonsense is annoying.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
What was the justification again for removing the original intros with stills?

The only explanations I could find was:

- Budget herp derp.
- ART!

:retarded:

EDIT: Beamdog has an interest in making BG3.

I do NOT want them or anyone making it. Just let this saga die and remain a timeless classic.

Xeon

Augur
I don't know about BG3, I have not finished BG2 or played ToB yet so I don't how the story ends but I kinda would like more games similar to the Infinity Engine games. I kinda hope they get good writers or something to make a good story and quests. Their EE NPCs weren't bad but weren't good either.
---
I installed the HLA tweak rule that enables Mages in FMT to get the HLA spells but they seem grayed out, Is there a level requirement to get them? It doesn't show any requirement in the description so I am kinda wondering if there is a requirement or is it because I installed the tweak mid campaign and its not working. If I understood correctly the spells are rated as a Level 9 spells so that's the last rank and probably for the ToB section of the game.

If that's the case I will probably disable the tweak for now to avoid any possible glitches and enable it later when I meet the requirements in ToB hopefully.

UglyBastard

Arcane
I certainly approve of more Infinity-esque D&D RPGs, possibly even revisiting Sword Coast locations.

But please let the "Baldur's Gate" series rest, it is a finished and wrapped up franchise, no need to resurrect it and cash in on the good name. It can only go terribly wrong.

From what I've read about the Enhanced Editions, they are basically glorified modded installations with the additional content being on mediocre mod level as well.
If Beamdog wants to make more games like BG, I will not stop them and even check it out for potential goodness, but for god's sake, just start your own franchise and build on that. If the game is good, it will find its audience.

There is nothing more to tell in the BGT saga.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
You get HLAs based on your XP amount. You'll get access to them in Throne of Bhaal or possibly very near the end of Shadows over Amn if you play with just few party members.

EE's are just that - stolen modders stuff with a horrible new UI and camera blur to "improve" how it looks. The companions are mediocre to shit and the few "new" areas or quests are horrible.

Melcar

Arcane
Thank God IWD EE has little of those "visual enhancements". The UI and the default zoom value pisses me off, but everything else is fine.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
I especially love how the height of Sarevok's thighs is transformed when his statue crumbles in the "enhanced" ending cutscene. Really reminds you of iOS games. Or crappy flash animations.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom