Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

Xeon

Augur
Why dual class to Ranger? I read the description and it says Rangers get Druiding spells after level 8, is it because of that?

I just installed this UI mod and looks pretty good.

bbgsc.jpg

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Why dual class to Ranger? I read the description and it says Rangers get Druiding spells after level 8, is it because of that?

I just installed this UI mod and looks pretty good.

bbgsc.jpg
You'll be able to cast both druidic (which means mostly Iron Skin) and clerical spells with a fighter's skill (well, almost).

Xeon

Augur
Thank you.

Is there a recommended level to dual the Cleric?

Edit:
From checking the Experience tables, I am thinking I have 3 options.
1 Dual CLass into Ranger at level 6 and to retain the class abilities in BG1 if my math works.
2 Mod in Exp Uncapper and Dual CLass at Lv7 (55K) and ratain class abilities at Lv8 (150K) which is kinda nuts.
3 Play as a pure Cleric in BG1 and then Dual class to Rangers at the start of Adventure Y or BG2.

Q: Can rangers dual at all?
A: In contrast to what is stated in the manual, rangers can dual to
cleric or vice versa, if they have the appropriate stats (to dual a
ranger to cleric, you need 15 STR, 15 DEX, 14 CON and 17 WIS).
It is pointless to dual a cleric into a ranger: after having
reached a high cleric level, you will never be able to achieve an
equally high ranger level since rangers level so much more
slowly. As a consequence, a cleric/ranger character will be very
much like a handicapped single class ranger, regardless of when you
decide to dual. This is no reason not to try this character of
course, but it is a little too weird to be covered in this guide.

GameFaqs
So its probably better with option 1, I suppose. Otherwise will probably be crippled or something for a long time in AY or BG2.

Will be playing with a full party and at Core Rules difficulty. CTRL+8 for Stats. Will probably increase the difficulty if it feels easy. Intending to fully do everything in BG1 and hopefully play Adventure Y and then complete it with BG2 and ToB.

Will install:
- - Japanese UI.
- BG2 Tweaks: Bags of Holding, Change Experience Point Cap (maybe), Higher HP on Level Up, Bottomless Bags of Holding, Unlimited Stacks, ToB-Style NPCs (maybe)
- SCS: Everything except for AI enhancements, I'll probably only install the Smarter general AI. Will probably also exclude any mage stuff in BG2 and any improvements to ToB.
Spell Tweaks: All except for:
- Prevent clones made by the Simulacrum and Project Image spells from using their magic items
- Make spell sequencers, spell triggers, and contingencies learnable by all mages

Item Tweaks:
- Make elemental arrows like BG2
- Replace +1 arrows and other projectiles with Fine ones
- Reintroduce potions of extra-healing

Gameplay Tweaks: All except for:
- Allow player to choose BG1 NPC proficiencies and skills
- Allow BG1 NPC pairs to separate
- Allow the Cowled Wizards to detect spellcasting in most indoor, above-ground areas in Athkatla
- Increase the price asked by Gaelan Baele BG2
- Make Watchers' Keep accessible between SoA and ToB
- Randomize the maze in Watcher's Keep
- Treat mages' and priests' High-Level Abilities as innate abilities rather than memorisable spells, not sure about this but its pretty late game of BG2

Cosmetic and ease-of-use tweaks:
- Ease-of-use party AI
- Stackable ankheg shells, winterwolf pelts and wyvern heads
- Ensure Shar-Teel doesn't die in the original challenge

AI enhancements:
- Smarter general AI
- Better calls for help

Tactical Challenges for BG1:
- Tougher end-of-chapter battles
- Improved final battle

Tactical Challenges for BG2:
- Party's items are taken from them in Spellhold
-- Another question: Since Rangers are restricted to Good, will I still be able to Dual class to them if I chose Cleric of Talos or Helm?
The prime requisites for dual classing Rangers only mentions stats requirements, no mentions of kits or moralities or something like that.

Last edited:

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Which one is better, A Human Cleric turned into Berserker or a Half-Elf multi classed Ranger/Cleric? Can you achieve grand mastery if you dual class?
Cleric dual-classed to Ranger.
Thank you.
Is there a recommended level to dual the Cleric?
You are better off multi classing in this case. Trust me, especially if you are going from BG1 into BG2. For one thing the slow xp progression of the ranger makes it an extremely bad choice for dual class in BG1. Moreover there is no real advantage for either class to be focused on. A ranger dual cleric will get spells levels slightly faster and a better turn undead. A cleric dual ranger will get mildly better thaco. Neither one of those is worth it compared to HLA's of the multiclass, the only real downside of the multiclass options is that you have to be more careful about bringing along too many other multi classed companions. The only reason to dual class is if you take a ranger kit (archer) to level 9 for grandmastery in the sling.

Which one is better, A Human Cleric turned into Berserker or a Half-Elf multi classed Ranger/Cleric? Can you achieve grand mastery if you dual class?
Cleric dual-classed to Ranger.
Surely you mean ranger dual classed to cleric.... Otherwise your spell progression would be total shit.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ranger/Cleric multiclass is perhaps THE best character to solo BG1/2 with. An unstoppable powerhouse that can do everything by himself. (I solo'd BG 2 with every class and multiclass. This includes the Jester.)

Last edited:

Xeon

Augur
Is there a bug with SCS where characters don't follow commands? Sometimes in battle when I tell someone to attack he just stands still, I have to move them and then issue the issue the command again. This didn't happen in vanilla EE IIRC. BG2 tweaks I used always and don't think this ever happened with it in BGT or EE.

I kinda think its because of the easy to use script, I put it on all characters instead of the default so maybe its missing them up when I issue a command and they are trying to follow the rules of the script or something.

Edit: If there is a mod that lets inactive already met party members to continue to advance in level that will be great.

Last edited:

Obama Phone 3

Learned
BG2:EE for PC has some resolution problems. The following trailer taken directly from Beamdog's website leads you to believe that the game scales perfectly up to 1920x1080, but after playing it for yourself, you will notice that 1280x1024 is about the highest it goes:

If you tick Scale UI in Options, the UI and in-game text will be readable, but the game's resolution will be way too blurry. If you untick Scale UI, the game will look sharp but the UI and in-game text is too small to read. What Beamdog forgot to incorporate was something like Ghostdog's UI Mod for PST.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Is there a bug with SCS where characters don't follow commands? Sometimes in battle when I tell someone to attack he just stands still, I have to move them and then issue the issue the command again. This didn't happen in vanilla EE IIRC. BG2 tweaks I used always and don't think this ever happened with it in BGT or EE.

I kinda think its because of the easy to use script, I put it on all characters instead of the default so maybe its missing them up when I issue a command and they are trying to follow the rules of the script or something.

Edit: If there is a mod that lets inactive already met party members to continue to advance in level that will be great.
Never encountered that problem in the old version. I didn't even know that SCS works for EE now.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
If you untick Scale UI, the game will look sharp but the UI and in-game text is too small to read.

Since 1.3 you can change font size, I believe.

The problem is that their fonts are utter shit (Cameron Tofer "the Font Meister" is responsible for this outrage) and they changed the font system entirely, so all font mods are out the window. Some Japanese dude wrote a program to generate bitmap fonts in the same format that they're using, but last time I checked it sucked in some way, I don't remember how exactly. Glyphs were either jumpy or the kerning was wrong.

And playing BG with EE fonts is just disrespecting yourself.

Xeon

Augur
The bandits camp is no joke. They sound the alert and then the entire camp shows up including the bosses from the tent I think, wonder if it would have been easier to infiltrate them instead.

This is probably the first place so far which have been very different from vanilla.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
If you infiltrate them, you have to fight the camp from the inside. Doesn't really make it any easier and can, in fact, be more difficult.

Web, stinking cloud, entangle, wand of fire and all summon spells are your friends.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Never encountered that problem in the old version. I didn't even know that SCS works for EE now.

SCS has been compatible with EEs for a long time. I think I was playing them with SCS and no problems since December 2013. SCS is still occasionally updated, but I don't think it's anything EE specific. Only component that didn't work with EE until recently was Improved Vampires.

Rpgsaurus Rex

SCS has been compatible with EEs for a long time. I think I was playing them with SCS and no problems since December 2013. SCS is still occasionally updated, but I don't think it's anything EE specific. Only component that didn't work with EE until recently was Improved Vampires.

My SCS + EE playthrough in 2014 died on Sendai, she was perma-stuck in "near death" and no amount of console tinkering or going to earlier saves helped. Also had to reload like 10 times on Yaga Shura (same problem, perma near-death). That was when it was marked as "100% compatible!!!" on their sticky.

Also, have they done anything about spell hotkeys? Last time I checked barely any spell shortcuts in BG2 EE beyond level 4 were covered which made it so damn frustrating for a multi caster party (even with AI script mods).

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
My SCS + EE playthrough in 2014 died on Sendai, she was perma-stuck in "near death" and no amount of console tinkering or going to earlier saves helped. Also had to reload like 10 times on Yaga Shura (same problem, perma near-death). That was when it was marked as "100% compatible!!!" on their sticky.

Sendai bug isn't related to EE, as far as I know. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's a problem with SCS version 28 and applies to the original BG2 as well. Easiest way to fix it is of course the Mind Flayer trick.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Use the 9th level mage spell Shapechange to turn into a Mind Flayer. Then you can kill even immortal characters with the devour brain attack.

agris

Arcane
Patron

Sendai bug isn't related to EE, as far as I know. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's a problem with SCS version 28 and applies to the original BG2 as well. Easiest way to fix it is of course the Mind Flayer trick.
Were you using Ascension Rpgsaurus Rex?

Rpgsaurus Rex

Were you using Ascension Rpgsaurus Rex?

No, back when I played EE + SCS the Ascension mod wasn't listed as compatible (I only used mods that were "100%" on their forum sticky). Also, for the life of me, I can't remember if I tried using the "Mind Flayer trick" or not.

Obama Phone 3

Learned
If you untick Scale UI, the game will look sharp but the UI and in-game text is too small to read.

Since 1.3 you can change font size, I believe.

The problem is that their fonts are utter shit (Cameron Tofer "the Font Meister" is responsible for this outrage) and they changed the font system entirely, so all font mods are out the window. Some Japanese dude wrote a program to generate bitmap fonts in the same format that they're using, but last time I checked it sucked in some way, I don't remember how exactly. Glyphs were either jumpy or the kerning was wrong.

And playing BG with EE fonts is just disrespecting yourself.

I still can't figure out how to change fonts in BG2:EE

On an unrelated note, is there any way to assign auto-cast spells to your character in EE? For example, I'm playing as a Sorc, can I automate Fire Arrow on attack? What about automating buffs?

roshan

Arcane
aVENGER what the hell is going on with the Ascension mod? It was promised on release of BG2EE, it's been two years now and there's no sign of it ever seeing the light of day.

Zetor

Arcane
Use the 9th level mage spell Shapechange to turn into a Mind Flayer. Then you can kill even immortal characters with the devour brain attack.
I had the same immortal Sendai bug (non-EE version with BGT Ascension and SCS); I posted about it here and here. Good thing it was fixed, that was a huge pain to deal with.

tldr: just killing her via mindflayer cheese wasn't enough -- a critical sub-20% health trigger doesn't fire, which breaks the entire sequence after her death. I had to do some cluaconsoling to get the game to proceed correctly (and I still encountered a few glitches later, like Balthazar showing up in Abazigal's lair and the ambush going on forever until I cluaconsoled my way back to the monastery).

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer
aVENGER what the hell is going on with the Ascension mod? It was promised on release of BG2EE, it's been two years now and there's no sign of it ever seeing the light of day.

That promise wasn't made by me, so I don't feel it's my place to comment on it. What I can say is that Ascension is a very old mod which overwrites some of the game's resources rather than patching them (in particular, it does that to several plot critical scripts). This isn't that much of a problem if you are using the original game and install Ascension before all of your other mods, but it can be an issue for BGII:EE. Basically, anything that the EE added below the original content of the plot scripts will be erased when they get overwritten by Ascension. That has the potential to break things in various ways.

That said, Ascension can certainly be modernized to patch the files in question instead of overwriting them, but that requires some non-trivial effort Essentially, you need to research and identify the changes that Ascension makes to all the game resources that it overwrites, covert them into patches and then add those changes on top of the relevant files.

AetherVagrant

Arbiter
Patron
Running into what I think Is a bug....there's a spawn point of infinite goblins in Peldvale. No idea if its an enhanced edition bug, or due to one of the mods (though only running the main g3 ones) if i try to keep fighting them (even cheating some scrolls of fireball to try to reduce their numbers) theyll still spawn to the point that they fill the screen and make the game crash.
im going to try to defog the map around their spawn point and avoid it for now.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom