Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale Beamdog's Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
This is just one of numerous reasons myself and many, many people on here continue to default to the original
Yeah, I already typically do that for BG. Fuck it, it doesn't seem that there's a solution that can work. I'm just gonna return this and get Doom classic or Quake.

hell bovine

Arcane
Gog bundles those two together now, I'm not sure where you can get the original alone (if on cd, then it's not worth it, because the digital version installs so much quicker and without the hassle of swapping discs). As for value, I consider it worth it, because the original content is preserved, while the added options convenient.

I wonder whether the upcoming (if it ever arrives) patch adds some of the Siege combat options, because frankly, IWD monsters could use some beefing up.

https://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Classic-Anthology-PC/dp/B005JQ064A

You're telling me the Enhanced Edition alone is worth the price of every IE game ever made, PLUS The Temple of Elemental Evil?
if it is on discs/dvds, than no thanks

hell bovine

Arcane
So, can anyone actually help me with the movement lag? I did what a dev said to do on the Beamdog site, but that at best did nothing and at worst, exacerbated it. If I can't find a solution to this, then I'm gonna refund my money and get some random game off of Steam. I'm fucking pissed now.
Edit: I do have Intel integrated blah blah, if that changes anything.
Edit 2: The weird thing is, this rig still runs BG:EE perfect. There is no reason that IWD:EE should be any different.
game lagging on newer machines is an old infinity engine issue. reasons might be various, try
a) disabling ambient sounds (this used to be the issue with orinal BG, I think)
b) try this - its for IWD2, but you never know

shsforums.net/topic/24914-iwd2-choppy-gameplay-thread/

edit - also this, if you happen to have one
shsforums.net/topic/30840-ie-games-and-nvidia-series-8-video-cards/

Last edited:

hell bovine

Arcane
if it is on discs/dvds, than no thanks

What, are you 12 or something?

You're paying like ~18 USD extra to Beamdog for the convenience of not having to put a disk in a drive. Fucking ludicrous.
I'm old enough to remember the hassle of making multiple BG installations from the discs, just in case a reinstall was needed due to mod bugs. Never again. Digital versions install so quickly, that I've bought all the classics I liked from gog (during sales, which means I've paid less than the (horrible) disc version). As for IWD EE - I like the additional options, so why not?

Coma White

Educated
I'm old enough to remember the hassle of making multiple BG installations from the discs

The product link I posted has all eight titles on one single DVD. This argument is irrelevant.

just in case a reinstall was needed due to mod bugs. Never again. Digital versions install so quickly

So installing a digital version takes longer than from a physical copy? Um, no it doesn't. It actually takes longer because you have to first download the thing, but whatever. This is really moot, because neither takes really any time at all.

As for IWD EE - I like the additional options, so why not?

Subjective and really has nothing to do with any of the points I've made -- or the problems Wayward's been having. We're not talking about your personal preferences -- we're talking about why the Enhanced Edition is objectively shittier than the original version.

Theldaran

Liturgist
There is no such thing as objectivity, but if there was, Beamdog would be the winner of the objectively bad.

Theldaran

Liturgist
You know, there are even some people who support EE (like that ArchAngel). There's just no 100% agree or disagree in a matter of opinion, ever.

Coma White

Educated
You know, there are even some people who support EE (like that ArchAngel). There's just no 100% agree or disagree in a matter of opinion, ever.

People don't agree; therefore, there is no such thing as objectivity. You heard it here first folks!

You must have been a real whiz in seminar.

Theldaran

Liturgist
There's objectivity in natural laws and physics, but not in a fuckin' videogame. Even if it's the worst crap ever, there'll be people that put up with it. Likewise even the stupidest ideas have their adherents (there's plenty of examples out there).

Coma White

Educated
There's objectivity in natural laws and physics, but not in a fuckin' videogame. Even if it's the worst crap ever, there'll be people that put up with it. Likewise even the stupidest ideas have their adherents (there's plenty of examples out there).

ob·jec·tiv·i·ty
ˌäbjekˈtivədē/
noun
noun: objectivity
the quality of being objective.
"the piece lacked any objectivity"

ob·jec·tive
əbˈjektiv/
adjective
adjective: objective
(of a person or their judgment) not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts.
"historians try to be objective and impartial"

You're an idiot.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Yeah, so to give a PERSONAL OPINION about a videogame, we have to be like historians. Right.

Supporting the EE or sticking to the classic version is a matter of how much a given person LIKES or DISLIKES each version.

Note that I didn't necessarily imply that supporting the EE was a sound decision. But as I said, your mileage may vary, nothing more, nothing less.

I don't pretend to give lessons to people who don't like the same things I do.

hell bovine

Arcane
I'm old enough to remember the hassle of making multiple BG installations from the discs

The product link I posted has all eight titles on one single DVD. This argument is irrelevant.

just in case a reinstall was needed due to mod bugs. Never again. Digital versions install so quickly

So installing a digital version takes longer than from a physical copy? Um, no it doesn't. It actually takes longer because you have to first download the thing, but whatever. This is really moot, because neither takes really any time at all.

As for IWD EE - I like the additional options, so why not?

Subjective and really has nothing to do with any of the points I've made -- or the problems Wayward's been having. We're not talking about your personal preferences -- we're talking about why the Enhanced Edition is objectively shittier than the original version.
I don't know which amazing location you live in, where downloading IWD takes longer than the post arriving with the disc version.:roll: (or alternatively, logic isn't your strong point) I am starting to suspect, however, that you are one of those young players that missed out on playing the classics when they came out, and now feel the need to defend them with a zealot's passion.

Unlike BG EE, IWD EE is fine.

Coma White

Educated
Yeah, so to give a PERSONAL OPINION about a videogame, we have to be like historians. Right.

Supporting the EE or sticking to the classic version is a matter of how much a given person LIKES or DISLIKES each version.

Note that I didn't necessarily imply that supporting the EE was a sound decision. But as I said, your mileage may vary, nothing more, nothing less.

I don't pretend to give lessons to people who don't like the same things I do.

I see you haven't addressed my criticism of your original statement, which was:

Nice sidestep here.

Coma White

Educated
I don't know which amazing location you live in, where downloading IWD takes longer than the post arriving with the disc version.:roll: (or alternatively, logic isn't your strong point) I am starting to suspect, however, that you are one of those young players that missed out on playing the classics when they came out, and now feel the need to defend them with a zealot's passion.

And I didn't know you were too spergy to wait a couple days to play an almost-20 year-old CRPG.

Though I do appreciate your ad hominem accusation that I'm "defending the classics" (which I'm not -- I was actually criticizing the EE and merely holding up the original edition as the only suitable alternative) out of some sort of youth-guilt. It does wonders to erode your already tenuous contentions.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Objectivity = what are the facts.
Subjectivity = personal opinion.

Just because an individual can argue from a subjective stance doesn't mean that there's no objectivity. When you said:

You admit that even if something is 'generally' accepted as being the worst crap ever, implying there are lots of known facts as to why something has this reputation - but people putting up with it would be people being subjective despite the facts. Just because some people choose to be subjective doesn't mean that the objectivity doesn't exist, it means some people are subjectively ignoring the facts. An extreme example to illustrate would be someone imprisoned for being a generally unlikable psycho who attacked virtually everyone in their neighbourhood and finally got put away after they killed a child while raping it, the community considered that person objectively bad and followed objective law to deal with the problem, however, the pyscho's mum might well still visit the person in jail and weep for their freedom, because she's, obviously, subjective about the issue. In this scenario the subjective arguments of the minority are irrelevant compared to the objective. You can also have scenarios where the subjectivity outweighs the objective, such as with the Twilight movies (sadly) but to then use such a scenario to claim that "there's no such thing as objectivity" is as irrational as saying "everything is sexist" or "everything is shit" etc etc.

hell bovine

Arcane

And I didn't know you were too spergy to wait a couple days to play an almost-20 year-old CRPG.
I've played that almost 20-year old cRPG back in ye olde days. Which is the point that seems to fly over your head.

And now I'm starting to suspect you are actually Archangel's alt, created to troll these threads.

Coma White

Educated
I've played that almost 20-year old cRPG back in ye olde days. Which is the point that seems to fly over your head.

Once again, you are completely side stepping what I've actually been saying. I gave Wayward Son my view on the issue he's been having and made a suggestion. Then I justified that suggestion:

I said I felt it is foolish to overpay for a game you can get much more cheaply, and in a stabler form. To this, you laid out a list of fucking absurd grievances:

I'm old enough to remember the hassle of making multiple BG installations from the discs, just in case a reinstall was needed due to mod bugs. Never again. Digital versions install so quickly, that I've bought all the classics I liked from gog (during sales, which means I've paid less than the (horrible) disc version). As for IWD EE - I like the additional options, so why not?

Each of which I debunked. To which you got :butthurt:

And now I'm starting to suspect you are actually Archangel's alt, created to troll these threads.

More ad hominem bullshit. Pull your head out of your ass. If you'd seen my "interactions" with Archangel in other threads, you wouldn't flip this infantile shit.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Objectivity only applies when the facts are overwhelming: no educated person can deny the laws of physics. They can only be amended by brilliant people from time to time.

No one that knows about the water cycle can deny rain or believe that it is gods weeping.

Objectivity is only available to truly brilliant people who know all the facts and can measure and outweigh them, and most of us humble humans can't do that, so we stick to subjective opinions. And that's alright.

You are trying to say that EE is "objectively bad" because it's quite bad and has few good things. In a more normal game the views on it would be more nuanced and objectivity would be hard to attain. There would be "pros" and "cons". And labeling it a good or bad game would be up to the player.

Anyway, this is a deep (and tiring) topic and I've already been insulted once, so I don't want to dig into it too much.

Coma White

Educated
Objectivity only applies when the facts are overwhelming: no educated person can deny the laws of physics. They can only be amended by brilliant people from time to time.

Once again:

ob·jec·tive
əbˈjektiv/
adjective
adjective: objective
(of a person or their judgment) not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts.
"historians try to be objective and impartial"

The English language disagrees with you.

Anyway, this is a deep (and tiring) topic and I've already been insulted once, so I don't want to dig into it too much.

:smug:

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Objectivity is only available to truly brilliant people who know all the facts and can measure and outweigh them, and most of us humble humans can't do that, so we stick to subjective opinions. And that's alright.

Which glass of beer has more beer in it? Which glass of beer is closest to his mouth? How many glasses of beer is he holding?

three_pint_waterfall.jpg

Sorry, you'll have to wait until a brilliant expert verifies the objective facts :M

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
we're talking about why the Enhanced Edition is objectively shittier than the original version.

You can call it "objectively less stable", but "shittier" is a matter of personal taste. To you, less stability is awful. To others, less stability but UI + Zoom in/out + Resolution is worth the money.
Sadly, unlike Morrowind, the IE don't have proper UI overhauls. I've tried them all and they all suck balls (glitched menues, awful menu replacers, too small sprites, etc.) so I've resorted to play all the original IE games without any interface or resolution mods.

Theldaran

Liturgist

Which glass of beer has more beer in it? Which glass of beer is closest to his mouth? How many glasses of beer is he holding?

three_pint_waterfall.jpg

Sorry, you'll have to wait until a brilliant expert verifies the objective facts :M

Well... your example is pretty much a physical effect. And I already covered that. Otherwise just refer to Lucas9's post.

All IE EE games (not to be confused with IEEE) have had lazy as fuck upgrades that up to now have been just a money grab. On this we can agree. But let people like what they like. I play one of the first versions of (GOG) BGEE and the interface is so much cleaner, and the graphics look slightly better (even though all they did was just a gimmick; they even didn't have access to the actual assets of 1998). But, I'll certainly cringe when Xzar's hit points begin to go up and down alternatively after a fight. In the end it stabilized and the glitch went away, but it was... unsettling.

Or conversely, every one of us can attest which girl is hotter, but going out with a less hot girl is admissible. :smug:

Last edited:

Coma White

Educated
To you, less stability is awful. To others, less stability but UI + Zoom in/out + Resolution is worth the money.

But you can already get these things for free, and with much more stability. What you're really saying is that to some, not downloading small unobtrusive mods is worth the money.

Which is really sort of pathetic, but whatever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom