Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Torment Beamdog's Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by TT1, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Drog Black Tooth Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    I think most dialog checks require just one of these, so the common advice is to go with one and stick to it, no?

^ Top  
  2. Gunnar Savant

Gunnar
    If you play a mage, use these stats:

CHA - 15
    INT - 16
    WIS - 17

You'll be able to pass all the important checks in the game right out of the gate and those scores can then be improved further with tattoos and other stuff. Levelup points put them into CON.

Get Ignus spells and ditch him. His fear spell is especially good.

Thief is really great for avoiding encounters by hiding in shadows, if that's your thing.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Drog Black Tooth Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    I played a mage the last time and Curst was like stabbing yourself in the balls repeatedly. There's way too many mobs, you quickly run out of spells to cast and there's nowhere to rest (IIRC).

So yeah, I've been thinking about going for a thief to skip all the bullshit. Does the thief class trigger any interesting dialog?

^ Top  
  4. Gunnar Savant

Gunnar
    Curst underground is full of guards, yeah and they can kill you very quickly especially on double damage setting. I usually run around, round them up and cast blacksphere on the group (hits all enemies, does damage and puts them to sleep). There's a place to rest a screen back from the guarded area with the old man.

I haven't played a thief run in a long time, but from what I remember there are only a few lines different from dedicated thief NPC's. Thief run is going to depart mostly because you'll have to spread your CP around more and can proabbly avoid taking Annah with you.

^ Top  
  5. T. Reich Arcane

T. Reich
    If you play a proper full-party mage, you'll have plenty of decent high-level aoe spells that will soften up the guards easily - and your team will clean them up. You can also utilise hide in shadows + backstab hit-n-run tactics with Annah.
    I've never tried solo mage, so no idea how that would go.
    But yeah, the hermit in the first zone is a free "rest spot" (as dialogue option).

^ Top  
  6. Drog Black Tooth Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Speaking of which, what's a "proper" end game party? Don't really want to resort to kiting and spamming potions once I reach Curst and beyond, where the game suddenly takes a turn down south and transforms into a somewhat shitty dungeon crawler. Same problem as Bloodlines, sadly.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Gunnar Savant

Gunnar
    The more party members you take, the more they dilute the experience that everybody gets. TNO + dakkon only is VERY powerful, for example.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Drog Black Tooth Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    But it's a story fag game... More party members = more dialog. I want the full experience.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Gunnar Savant

Gunnar
    Skip Ignus and Vhailor, take everybody else for your first time out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. T. Reich Arcane

T. Reich
    There are 7 total available companions.
    6 of them are available before Curst, 7th is only available at the end of Curst.
    Of the 6 available before Curst:
    1) the Skull - good fighter + muh story.
    2) the Gith - good fighter + muh story.
    3) the Thief Girl - ok fighter (better than ok if you know how to use backstab) + muh romances.
    4) the Robot - good fighter.
    5) the Cleric Girl - absolute liability as a figher, but good for healing + muh romances.
    6) the Burning Man - another mage + actually decent ranged attacks if you properly buff him with magic.
    People usually dump Ignus because he's not exactly a nice person to hang around with.
    Then right after Curst you can get the Iron Man - he's a good fighter but also not a nice person. And a dangerous endgame encounter if you choose to drag him along to the very end, IIRC.

Anyway, each character can be milked for gratuitious "roleplaying" exp, so you should invite and "roleplay" the fuck out of the two unsavoury dudes when you can get them. Whether you dump them or keep them is up to you.

• Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Drog Black Tooth Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    I think my original line up was everyone but the robot and Vhailor. I found the cube dungeon way too hard, so never bothered to get that dude. Vhailor was kinda cool, but yeah it felt like he could snap any time. Didn't have a party slot for him anyway.

The samurai dude had tons of lore dump dialog, I think I managed to level up his sword a few times and he also gave me some stone circle thingie that did stuff too. The succubus girl was the absolute worst character personality wise, so I suppose this time I'm going to switch her out for the robot dude. Hopefully we can survive without the healer.

Oh and Ignus burned off a lot of my body parts (resulting in permanent max HP loss I think?) to teach me some of his pyro magic.

^ Top  
  12. Gunnar Savant

Gunnar
    Take some time to steal a whole bunch of healing drops from the shops and you'll be ok.

^ Top  
  13. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    http://blog.beamdog.com/2017/06/change-your-game-with-planescape.html

• Prestigious Prestigious x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Johnny Pneumatic Educated

Johnny Pneumatic

:necro:

Now available exclusively at Gog, The Narrative: Enhanced Edition™

https://www.gog.com/forum/planescap...g?pp=cb4e5208b4cd87268b208e49452ed6e89a68e0b8

:roll:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Goral Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    More lies from a parasitic company. They've said something entirely else to a customer who asked about it, trying to shift the blame on GOG. And what's the reason they're writing about it only now? Did GOG lawyers made them? That's the most likely explanation. Hard to call it a "joint decision" when they were threatening GOG to go to Steam exclusively if they won't comply.

Anyway, here's their mail:

Beamdog Support (Customer Support)

Apr 13, 08:19 MDT

Hello Adam,

Thanks for contacting Beamdog support. My name is Charles, and I will be assisting you.

I am sorry you believe that we are the cause of this, but I can assure you we have no say in what other retailers do with our titles (discounts/bundles, etc).

That being said, GOG brought the idea to our attention and over a year ago Cameron decided that it was a positive choice, I am sorry you are negative towards this, but I want you to know you are supporting the people who make those decisions, and blaming the ones who don't.

We also have no say in what happens to the original versions of the games, we aren't the owners of those and only licensed them to create our Enhanced Editions.

I hope this clarifies things and you have a great day!
    -Charles

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/r...6?pp=cb4e5208b4cd87268b208e49452ed6e89a68e0b8

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    ^And the reason why nobody should buy these cashgrab titles ever. Why would you support such a company?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Parabalus Arcane

Parabalus
    You can still pirate and enjoy the EEs.

• retadred retadred x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. T. Reich Arcane

T. Reich
    :what::what:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Edgy Edgy x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    I can also pirate and enjoy the originals.
    Or, I can use my legal versions and enjoy the originals.

The possibilities seem endless when the alternative is "enjoying the EEs".

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Athelas Arcane

Athelas
    So has anyone played this and spotted any changes to the writing?

I watched a bit of someone's playthrough on YouTube and Beamdog seem to have disabled the character-specific themes that play when you talk to a companion, or during other appropriate moments (e.g. when the game starts and you wake up in the Mortuary, the Nameless One's theme would start playing). Now the regular area music just plays during those moments.

muh atmosphere

I wonder if it would be possible to mod in some of the BG/IWD classes and spells. The mod that lets TNO become a priest seems to suggest it could.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. t Arcane Patron

t
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    [Intelligence] Goral fighting the good fight with his voice

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. pippin Guest

pippin
    Holy shit, what a fucking shit company.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. ga♥ Liturgist

ga♥
    wut is fallen london and is it good?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    It's garbage, also developed by some Bioware rejects.
    Only thing that it would have going for it is the theme/setting, but only in theory, because I must stress that it is developed by Biowarians and that as result it's garbage from all perspectives.

But yeah, I'm sure shoehorning torment in it would be perfect ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;)))))))))))))))))))))))))))

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. hiciacit Liturgist

hiciacit
    Any source for that?

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)