Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION - isometric post-apocalyptic adventure from STASIS developer

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

leo1.jpg

Funnily enough, I thought this was DiCaprio's most authentic role. Not sure why he won an Oscar for a dirty, panting Revenant.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Game looks awesome, I know it is mostly an adventure game and not an RPG but this kind of dream like post apocalyptic sci fi landscape reminds me alot of the promise that wasn't delivered on NumaNuma, if you Pyke manages to capture even a little of the potential NumaNuma failed to deliver, I thank you for your work. There is something beautiful indeed that I wanna play based on the stuff you revealed, on this day and age where a man can't hope for much and what is beautiful is rare, mediocrity being king, I hope for your game.

I imagine that doing a game on a third world shithole going down in flames with zero budget and that game being an adventure game isn't exactly that wonderful in terms of money, I don't expect the new Planescape Torment (unfortunately that ship sailed a long time ago), I just wanna play something beautiful and I'm talking more than just nice 2d graphix. Hey, maybe after all those years of work, we get a beautiful game and Pyke Plissken, the last of the white mohicans, manages to escape from South Africa before South Africa start the final solution, that is a win.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Pyke did you guys try to move from the country? You've been talking about worsening situation for quite some time, but I've never read anything about you trying to apply for a visa or whatever. Australia, New Zeland, Canada or heck, even Germany would be better than that shithole you seem to be living in.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Pyke did you guys try to move from the country? You've been talking about worsening situation for quite some time, but I've never read anything about you trying to apply for a visa or whatever. Australia, New Zeland, Canada or heck, even Germany would be better than that shithole you seem to be living in.

Its VERY difficult to get out of South Africa if you dont have education, a company to sponsor you, or have lots of money. We are trying for option 3. My fiance has scottish citizenship, so as soon as we are married Ill try to get my residence there. I have no qualifications beyond High School. Im completely self taught - and while that has been a good things in some ways, its severely hindered me in others. On paper Im basically unemployable!

There are also other issues - my parents are retired - the chances of them getting out of the country are pretty much 0 (again - with money this becomes easier). I almost lost my dad a few years back and I want to spend as much time with them as I can. They actually moved from their home about 2 years back to be closer to us. I know of so many people who left their families in SA and the next time they saw their parents was at a funeral.
I know that at some point the emotional feelings of staying will be overruled by the logic of leaving - and my hope is that we have enough money by then, or have made enough industry contacts, to facilitate that.

Honestly I love this country. My family have been here for almost 3 centuries. But I dont see myself being here for longer than I need to be. After Desolation is out we will have some hard choices to make!

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer

Bohr

Arcane
He was really good - although there are a few parts where his accent slips into a 'wtf am I hearing??'.
Probably the best SA accent I've heard from a non-south african is Matt Damon in Invictus, and Thomas Jane in Stander.

No honourable mention for Lethal Weapon II?

:troll:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hell yeah: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...n-isometric-post-apocalyptic-ad/posts/2514003

Lights, Camera, Action!

We have unchained ourselves from our desks to bring you a quick update on our progress with BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION.

While Nic continues to implement the events in the game I have been detailing and creating the cinematic videos that appear throughout the adventure.

These videos will be fully voiced, and using facial capture, we hope to bring the characters to life.

Enjoy a few non-spoiler animated gifs:

(If they don't load, access them here directly)

http://desolationgame.com/public/backerupdates/gif_1.gif

http://desolationgame.com/public/backerupdates/gif_2.gif

http://desolationgame.com/public/backerupdates/gif_3.gif

4f4fc0ddbf3caf186be3a03adf59b591_original.gif

32e17397f47b86454bcffcbd7e94ac4b_original.gif

f8dcddf8ad9e41162489b1882560d0e0_original.gif

Still images:

cf594a6d51e0cfc095f3008b076f3d95_original.png

ac78b42c306ee525895956c82082800e_original.png

275f8790770013f958a5bbc61a547c4e_original.png

Take care,

Chris & Nic

PS. Don't forget to follow us below -->

TWITTER: https://twitter.com/StasisGame

FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/desolationadventure

Bohr

Arcane
You fuckers at brotherhood are doing some amazing shit with the resources you have.

Agreed, putting a lot of studios to shame. Just worried their proposed emigration will take them to California or something and they'll spend all their time networking and brunching. Maybe somewhere like Mogadishu would be a better long term bet.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Thanks all! I'm really pushing myself with the cinematics to hit the same quality that AAA games have. I don't think ill 'quite' get there - but I'm gonna sure as hell try!

agris

Arcane
Patron
Thanks all! I'm really pushing myself with the cinematics to hit the same quality that AAA games have. I don't think ill 'quite' get there - but I'm gonna sure as hell try!
They really do look top-notch already man.

Will your final renders be at 24 FPS so that it captures that cinema feel?

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer

24 FPS HD, with bars added to give it a much wider ratio - although the bars are added dynamically so we may remove them if it works better as a full 16:9 ratio in the game.

agris

Arcane
Patron

24 FPS HD, with bars added to give it a much wider ratio - although the bars are added dynamically so we may remove them if it works better as a full 16:9 ratio in the game.

Not sure if you’re a Westworld fan, but the recent season did a neat thing with their cinematography. Certain scenes (recollections I think) were presented in cinematic 21:9 (your black bars from above), while others in 16:9.

The framing of the shot framed the narrative, so to speak. Might be a neat trick to keep up your sleeve.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Yeah I loved it when they did that - especially when westerns are so iconic as super wide aspects!
Something that we are playing with is to separate out the 'in game cinematics' from the gameplay by having the bars appear in game. If that does work and isn't too distracting we will continue the bars into the full screen animation. If it takes the player out of the experience, we will probably remove the bars altogether.
Alternatively we could just have it as an option to turn on/off. :D

agris

Arcane
Patron
I think a trick they used to make the transition between aspect ratios invisible to the audience was smart use of cuts and darkness. A dark scene in 16:9 that transitions into an initially dark 21:9 scene, or a very brief bright flash accompanying the transition back into 16:9 (ie the removal of the dark bars concomitant with the bright light makes the transition invisible). There were a lot of cool little camera and editing tricks used that smart designers could borrow :D

Last edited:

Bohr

Arcane
Like the sound of all that. Should mention though that a couple of recent games I followed the release of had a small but very organised and vocal contingent of 21:9 and other wide aspect monitor users who spammed the forums until they got support for their aspect ratios without pillarboxing. No idea if you feel like catering to that crowd but if the black bars can be adjusted/removed in settings, at least for the cinematics, it may spare you some noise.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
those gifs are literally powered by backup generator. holy shit this studio is working magic
Unbelievable artist just wish he was making RPGs with choices & consequences

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom