Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION - isometric post-apocalyptic adventure from STASIS developer

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Do we have an official release date yet (that maybe I missed)? I seem to remember something about the end of January.

I think I might start allowing myself to get hyped up again if its soon. BEAUTIFUL!

We are tentatively set for the end of Feb, barRing anything major. :D

*sorry for the spelling - was on mobile!

Last edited:

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
I don't know if anyone is interested in this - but here is a small campaign I wrote a while ago. It was my first foray into DM'ing.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
His playthrough was 29 hours, but he was SUPER thorough, exploring most of the storylines.

I can speed run the game in 5 hours (skipping large chunks of audio and avoiding the combat element). So I think the average playtime sits somewhere in the middle there. :D

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
His playthrough was 29 hours, but he was SUPER thorough, exploring most of the storylines.

I can speed run the game in 5 hours (skipping large chunks of audio and avoiding the combat element). So I think the average playtime sits somewhere in the middle there. :D
Eh, 20-25 hours isn't ideal, but it's still solid. DE was about 25-30, so if it's around the same run time, it should be enough to satisfy players.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer

Eh, 20-25 hours isn't ideal, but it's still solid. DE was about 25-30, so if it's around the same run time, it should be enough to satisfy players.

Its a bit of a difficult game to try and tie down a play through time, because there are so many different ways to experience it. Hell, we have an entire section of the game with 2 fully fleshed out voiced races with an entwined storyline - and you can just... never meet them. Or meet them and then never go back to them. Or do something quite horrible to them and skip over their story altogether.

Personally I'm thinking that the average time will be 10 - 15 hours. I hope that people will do a second play through and try out different paths.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Its a bit of a difficult game to try and tie down a play through time, because there are so many different ways to experience it. Hell, we have an entire section of the game with 2 fully fleshed out voiced races with an entwined storyline - and you can just... never meet them. Or meet them and then never go back to them. Or do something quite horrible to them and skip over their story altogether.

Personally I'm thinking that the average time will be 10 - 15 hours. I hope that people will do a second play through and try out different paths.
Now a days, there is a common misconception that bigger is always better. A well crafted, tight, story line that might only take a couple hours is far more preferable to a bloated mess that overstays its welcome. As long as what's being expressed to the audience is good, the game will shine.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer

Now a days, there is a common misconception that bigger is always better. A well crafted, tight, story line that might only take a couple hours is far more preferable to a bloated mess that overstays its welcome. As long as what's being expressed to the audience is good, the game will shine.

Agreed. Some of my favorite game experiences have been just a few hours long. Hell, I used to buy the Call Of Duty games because I could finish their campaigns in a relaxing afternoon with a beer and a bowl of popcorn.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
8ljOmKb.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's some unusual physiognomy for a video game protagonist. More like Beautiful DeTHALation amirite?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Two white guys, including one that looks like the poster boy for middle america, beer belly and all, exploring post apocalyptic Africa... i expect there to be some backlash from the usual retarded media outlets and forums.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Two white guys, including one that looks like the poster boy for middle america, beer belly and all, exploring post apocalyptic Africa... i expect there to be some backlash from the usual retarded media outlets and forums.

I'm not too concerned about that. Nic and I wrote a story about 2 brothers because its something we know something about. If we altered their race the story itself would have probably been quite different, and that wasn't the story we wanted to tell.

There is this strange phenomenon around South African creators - and expectation from international audiences - that every story set in South Africa (and probably the continent as a whole) needs to be some sort of morality tale about the history of the country. Honestly, we just wanted to write a cool scifi story with our home country as the back drop.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
There is this strange phenomenon around South African creators - and expectation from international audiences - that every story set in South Africa (and probably the continent as a whole) needs to be some sort of morality tale about the history of the country. Honestly, we just wanted to write a cool scifi story with our home country as the back drop.

District 9 immediately comes to mind in terms of a sci-fi story set in South Africa that reflects a period in the country's history, i.e. Apartheid.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter

District 9 immediately comes to mind in terms of a sci-fi story set in South Africa that reflects a period in the country's history, i.e. Apartheid.
Another whitey bad movie of the perspective that Apartheid systems are the ultimate evil, because it was a system to protect the whites. But when Apartheid fell the lives of the vast majority of South African blacks didn't improve, just a tiny substratum replaced the whites in power namely those with ties to the ANC, with the white farmers slowly being exterminated with implicit state sanction.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Another whitey bad movie of the perspective that Apartheid systems are the ultimate evil, because it was a system to protect the whites. But when Apartheid fell the lives of the vast majority of South African blacks didn't improve, just a tiny substratum replaced the whites in power namely those with ties to the ANC, with the white farmers slowly being exterminated with implicit state sanction.

Off topic: District 9 is covertly pro-apartheid. The entire subtext is that "whom you do not let die do not let you live".

DeepOcean

Arcane
Say you are from Wakanda, problem solved.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom